View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) [Special 4e Edition]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Mando Knight
2009-07-03, 11:15 AM
IE:

. r .
. c .
. . .

If you shift two in any direction, then you end up in its reach. If you shift 3, you can end up behind it and out of reach.

Not necessarily:

. r . .
. c \ .
. ^ . \

If the charger comes in from the south, and the Ranger moves along the slashes, then the charger cannot reach the Ranger, and since the charger cannot turn around, he cannot charge the Ranger. The move stops and the attack is wasted.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-03, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Gralamin!

Reading the power I do change ideas. The power is placing the standard, not the automatic healing that it will be happening later, so even with the brooch I do not think that by RAW you would get extra HP. Compare, for example, with the Gloves of the Healer:

Property: When you use a power that has the healing keyword, one target regains an extra 1d6 hit points.
This one specifies a power that has the healing keyword, and so one person making use of the standard would get extra healing.

Grey Wolf

Gralamin
2009-07-03, 11:26 AM
Not necessarily:

. r . .
. c \ .
. ^ . \

If the charger comes in from the south, and the Ranger moves along the slashes, then the charger cannot reach the Ranger, and since the charger cannot turn around, he cannot charge the Ranger. The move stops and the attack is wasted.

Thats what I get for Answering just after I wake up.

Gort
2009-07-03, 08:10 PM
Yes, that is exactly what it means. A power with a "sustain" line can be sustained until the end of the encounter, per the RAW quoted above. When WotC had nothing special to add, they just place "the area/wall/whatever persists". When sustaining actually changes things (like in those powers, where their effect is different after sustaining), they specify what happens in subsequent turns.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Not really. Because PHBI p59 defines what happens when you sustain a power. It implies that the sustain section defines what the effect of the power is when you sustain it, and not the original effect section.

:smalleek:

Mando Knight
2009-07-03, 10:27 PM
Not really. Because PHBI p59 defines what happens when you sustain a power. It implies that the sustain section defines what the effect of the power is when you sustain it, and not the original effect section.

:smalleek:

Incorrect. PHB p.59 states that the Sustain entry tells you if the power has an effect when you sustain it, meaning that it has an effect that activates when you sustain the power. It then refers to page 278, which defines the act of sustaining powers more clearly: you sustain the initial effect, and the act of sustaining that effect may include an extra effect described in the Sustain entry of the power description.

Magentawolf
2009-07-04, 09:42 AM
Not necessarily:

. r . .
. c \ .
. ^ . \

Now I'm curious - If the charger is in fact allowed to continue their movement, why can't they turn around and follow the ranger?

I realize it makes very little 'sense' to be able to turn around mid-charge, but is there actually a RAW ruling on it?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-04, 10:13 AM
Now I'm curious - If the charger is in fact allowed to continue their movement, why can't they turn around and follow the ranger?

I realize it makes very little 'sense' to be able to turn around mid-charge, but is there actually a RAW ruling on it?

It is tricky to say if there is. Purely RAW, no. But, by RAW, a charge has to go towards its target by the most direct route. For example, you cannot go back and forth to get the requisite minimum 2 spaces. By my interpretation, that means that once you are commited to the charge, if the target moves and you have to start weaving so that the final move you do during the charge wouldn't be the most direct, the charge is illegal and fails. This is supported by common sense of how a charge works.

But, as I said, nothing in RAW contemplates the target moving away, so it is all interpretation, and comes down to DM's rule 0.

Grey Wolf

Mattarias, King.
2009-07-05, 01:38 AM
Q.Uh, 436(?)

A weapon can only have a single enchantment on it, right? I can't have, say, a vicious flaming longsword?

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-05, 02:08 AM
A. 436 That's right.

Learnedguy
2009-07-05, 02:24 AM
Q. 436

When you paragon multiclass into a secondary class (say, a warlock going into wizard), do I get all the wizard class features a normal wizard got, or do I only get the prescribed encounter, utility and daily maneuvers:smallconfused:?

Q. 437

Can I multiclass out of the Novice/Acolyte/Adept power feats after using them to multiclass?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-05, 02:50 AM
Q.Uh, 436(?)

A weapon can only have a single enchantment on it, right? I can't have, say, a vicious flaming longsword?

You do not "build" your own magic weapons in 4E as you did in 3.5. The weapons are what they are, and cannot be combined. That does not stop you, as a DM, from creating your own, of course.

Q. 436

When you paragon multiclass into a secondary class (say, a warlock going into wizard), do I get all the wizard class features a normal wizard got, or do I only get the prescribed encounter, utility and daily maneuvers:smallconfused:?

You only get the paragon powers and abilities. It does not give you any of the new class' basic abilities.

Q. 437

Can I multiclass out of the Novice/Acolyte/Adept power feats after using them to multiclass?

As far as I can tell, they are not required to paragon multiclass (only the class-specific feat is needed), so I don't understand your question.

Grey Wolf

Learnedguy
2009-07-05, 03:22 AM
As far as I can tell, they are not required to paragon multiclass (only the class-specific feat is needed), so I don't understand your question.

Grey Wolf

"If you have the Novice Power, Acolyte Power and Adept Power for a class, you can choose to continue gain powers from that class rather than take a paragon path"

I was not talking about taking cross-class paragon path, but to take the actual class, as prescribed at page 209 on the player's handbook.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-05, 03:40 AM
"If you have the Novice Power, Acolyte Power and Adept Power for a class, you can choose to continue gain powers from that class rather than take a paragon path"

I was not talking about taking cross-class paragon path, but to take the actual class, as prescribed at page 209 on the player's handbook.

I'm still unsure of what you ask. If you mean if you have any further multiclassing feats after taking those three, then: yes, you can continue to take class-specific feats, if there are more than the first one you took (you can find them in the Martial and Arcane Power expansion books).

Grey Wolf

Learnedguy
2009-07-05, 04:01 AM
I'm still unsure of what you ask. If you mean if you have any further multiclassing feats after taking those three, then: yes, you can continue to take class-specific feats, if there are more than the first one you took (you can find them in the Martial and Arcane Power expansion books).

Grey Wolf

Ah, sorry, I notice my mistake now.

It should say retrain. As in, can I retrain my Noice Power feat after using it to multiclass into say, Barbarian, at level 11, assuming the feat is dormant (I have not used it to replace a encounter power I got from my main class)

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-05, 06:12 AM
It should say retrain. As in, can I retrain my Noice Power feat after using it to multiclass into say, Barbarian, at level 11, assuming the feat is dormant (I have not used it to replace a encounter power I got from my main class)

Yes, you can. Take into account they are not the actual multiclassing feats, only expansion thereof. To multiclass into Barbarian you use the class-specific multiclass feat, and later you take the novice/acolyte/adept feats, and drop them as best fits your character. That said, nothing stops you from dropping even the base multiclass.

Interestingly, I am not sure if you had all 4 feats (class-specific +3 extensions) if you could switch the class-specific for a different class-specific one (you would still cover the requirements of the novice/acolyte/adept feats, and they allow switching the powers all you want, but it is unclear if they count towards the 1 switch allowed per level up).

Hope that helps, and sorry to have taken this long,

Grey Wolf

Learnedguy
2009-07-05, 06:28 AM
^Alright, thanks for the help:smallamused:

mathewt
2009-07-05, 09:15 AM
A. 436

Paragon multiclassing is an extension of regular multiclassing. It gives you powers at 11th, 12th, and 20th levels and the ability to exchange one of your original at-wills for an at-will from your multiclass. It kinda stinks. ;)

A. 437

I have to disagree with Grey Wolf. The three power swap feats are prerequisites for paragon mutliclassing. The retraining rules state that you can't replace a feat (the x Power ones in this case) if it's the prerequisite for another feat or paragon path you have.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-05, 10:19 AM
A. 437

I have to disagree with Grey Wolf. The three power swap feats are prerequisites for paragon mutliclassing. The retraining rules state that you can't replace a feat (the x Power ones in this case) if it's the prerequisite for another feat or paragon path you have.

Incorrect. Class-specific multiclass feat is the only one needed to qualify to paragon multiclass:

A character who has taken a class-specific multiclass feat counts as a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for taking other feats and qualifying for paragon paths. ~PHB 208

Grey Wolf

cloneof
2009-07-05, 11:06 AM
Q. 438

Does [W] in the book mean weapon?

Mando Knight
2009-07-05, 11:22 AM
Q. 438

Does [W] in the book mean weapon?

A 438
Yes, as explained in the PHB on page 276:

Weapon Damage Dice: A [W] in a damage expression stands for your weapon's damage dice. (The weapon tables on pages 218-219 show damage dice for all weapons.) The number before the [W] indicates the number of times you roll your weapon dice.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-05, 01:25 PM
Incorrect. Class-specific multiclass feat is the only one needed to qualify to paragon multiclass:

Grey Wolf

No, he doesn't mean taking another class' Paragon Path, he means paragon multiclassing (as described by mathewt above) whice requires the basic multiclass feat AND all three power-swap feats. Paragon multiclassing! :smallsigh:

Alteran
2009-07-05, 02:06 PM
Q. 439

I am hit by a creature with reach that is adjacent to me. I use the power Evade the Blow (Ranger Utility 16), which reads as follows:

Daily * Martial
Immediate Interrupt - Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits you with a melee attack.
Effect: Shift 1 square away from the enemy.

It is my understanding that the attack becomes invalidated, because I am no longer in the target square. On P268 of the PHB, it is stated that "If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost." However, it also says "If your enemy can lo longer reach you, the enemy's attack action is lost." So, I'm a little confused. Does that mean that if they can reach me, the attack action is not lost? Are they allowed to follow me with their attack if I'm still in reach?

My understanding was that no, the attack is lost, but I can see how I might be wrong.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-05, 02:18 PM
A. 439

If the enemy has reach (pole weapons, it is huge, etc.) the attack in your example would not be lost.

Grey Wolf

warrl
2009-07-05, 02:34 PM
A. 439

The second sentence you cite is part of the example.

Suppose that you are adjacent to an enemy, and this enemy attacks and hits you. You use this power as an interrupt to step away.

If the enemy's melee attack cannot reach you in your new position, he obviously doesn't hit you and not even "Miss" effects happen to you - but he TRIED to attack you and that effort is expended. He cannot attack another creature in your place. Whatever power he was using is expended (unless it's Reliable, and being expended doesn't matter for At Will powers).

If this were not the case, there'd be instant paradox loops. "I swing my sword at you." "I use this power to step out of the way." "Well in that case, I don't swing my sword at you." "But then I can't use the power, so I don't step out of the way." "Then I do swing my sword at you." ...

However, if the enemy can still reach you with his attack, he still hits you.

And if he's using a power that lets him do multiple attacks, his attempt to strike you should count as a miss for the purpose of determining whether he has another attack.

mathewt
2009-07-05, 07:04 PM

Grey Wolf

I think you've got some wires crossed Grey Wolf. He wasn't asking about a paragon path based upon his multiclass, he's talking about the alternate option of "paragon multiclassing". See page 209 of the PHB: "If you have the Novice Power, Acolyte Power, and Adept Power feats for a class, you can choose to continue to gain powers from that class rather than take a paragon path."

Mattarias, King.
2009-07-09, 12:01 AM
Q. 440

What feats apply to a shaman's spirit companion?

Obahai
2009-07-09, 09:02 AM
Q 441

Are there any feats that allow a rogue's class abilities to stack with those of a swashbucklers?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-09, 09:09 AM
Q. 440

What feats apply to a shaman's spirit companion?

A. 440

Any feat that gives the shaman permanent defence increases also increase the defence of the spirit. Otherwise, there are several shaman-only feats that mostly increase the abilities of the spirit companion. They can be found in PHBII

Q 441

Are there any feats that allow a rogue's class abilities to stack with those of a swashbucklers?

A. 441

There is no swashbuckler base class in 4E. Are you sure you are in the right thread? If you are, I would need you to give me the book/page for the swashbuckler.

Grey Wolf

Mauril Everleaf
2009-07-09, 10:36 PM
Q 442 There is a feat from Martial Power, Surprising Charge, which allows a rogue to deal an extra 1[W] on a charge when using a light blade or a spear. "Light blade" I understand just fine. It's "spear" that confuses me. Are there any rogue powers that let you use a spear? I looked and there doesn't seem to be a way to get that to work, and a rogue built around MBAs (or Probing Strike) seems counter-productive, especially since you can't sneak attack with a spear.

Gralamin
2009-07-09, 11:19 PM
Q 442 There is a feat from Martial Power, Surprising Charge, which allows a rogue to deal an extra 1[W] on a charge when using a light blade or a spear. "Light blade" I understand just fine. It's "spear" that confuses me. Are there any rogue powers that let you use a spear? I looked and there doesn't seem to be a way to get that to work, and a rogue built around MBAs (or Probing Strike) seems counter-productive, especially since you can't sneak attack with a spear.

A 442
The feat is for Fighters OR Rogues. While there is no way I know of for a Rogue to use a spear effectively, Fighters may.

Vargtass
2009-07-10, 03:36 AM
Q 443: If my ranger uses the power Hunter's Privilege from Martial Power, can he attack for any time an enemy gets closer, or only once per round (limited by the number of Opprtunity Attacks)?

Q 444: If my ranger uses a magical thrown weapon for ranged attacks, can he throw it twice with e.g. Twin Strike in a round, because the weapon returns to the thrower?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-10, 03:46 AM
Q 443: If my ranger uses the power Hunter's Privilege from Martial Power, can he attack for any time an enemy gets closer, or only once per round (limited by the number of Opprtunity Attacks)?

A. 443

Errr... are you sure you have the right power? Hunter's privilege gives you +3 damage with Hunter's Quarry when you have the highest initiative

Q 444: If my ranger uses a magical thrown weapon for ranged attacks, can he throw it twice with e.g. Twin Strike in a round, because the weapon returns to the thrower?

A. 444

No, you cannot. By RAW, it returns at the end of your turn the action.

Grey Wolf

Vargtass
2009-07-10, 03:58 AM
A. 443

Errr... are you sure you have the right power? Hunter's privilege gives you +3 damage with Hunter's Quarry when you have the highest initiative

No, I misremember the name. Now I don't remember it. I don't have the book handy. The power lets you take attacks during the stance whenever an enemy moves closer to you within 5 squares, as an Opportunity Attack, or something to that effect. Sorry for the confusion. I think it's a lvl 5 ranger power.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-10, 04:04 AM
No, I misremember the name. Now I don't remember it. I don't have the book handy. The power lets you take attacks during the stance whenever an enemy moves closer to you within 5 squares, as an Opportunity Attack, or something to that effect. Sorry for the confusion. I think it's a lvl 5 ranger power.

Spitting Cobra Stance. It is an Oportunity Action, so you can take one in each turn of other combatants, but never in your own. Just like a normal AoO, except ranged.

Grey Wolf

HMS Invincible
2009-07-10, 04:17 AM
A. 444

No, you cannot. By RAW, it returns at the end of your turn.

Grey Wolf

Correction, the customer service at wizards say it returns each time you throw it whenever you use a power so long as the weapon is magical. So a blinding barrage targeting 4 people by a rogue only requires one range magical weapon. They explicitly state that multiple targets only require one weapon because it returns to your hand as long as nothing blocks the return, such as a closing door.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-10, 04:28 AM
Correction, the customer service at wizards say it returns each time you throw it whenever you use a power so long as the weapon is magical. So a blinding barrage targeting 4 people by a rogue only requires one range magical weapon. They explicitly state that multiple targets only require one weapon because it returns to your hand as long as nothing blocks the return, such as a closing door.

Do you have a link to that? I've always heard the exact opposite.

Thanks,

Grey Wolf

Gaiyamato
2009-07-10, 06:06 AM

Customer service are wrong.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#returning

Returning
This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns to the thrower just before the creature’s next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).

Catching a returning weapon when it comes back is a free action. If the character can’t catch it, or if the character has moved since throwing it, the weapon drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.

So you cannot use the same weapon more than once in the same turn.
You could have four of these and easily throw and catch all of them together each turn however.

---------------

Also I have a question:
If I trip an opponent with a successful trip attack, may I use the bonus attack to disarm my opponent?

Douglas
2009-07-10, 06:18 AM

You could have four of these and easily throw and catch all of them together each turn however.

---------------

Also I have a question:
If I trip an opponent with a successful trip attack, may I use the bonus attack to disarm my opponent?
Wrong edition. This is the 4e thread, both your quote and your question are 3.5e.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-10, 06:21 AM

---------------

Also I have a question:

All of that sounds like 3.5 to me. Are you sure you are in the correct thread? There are no trip attacks in 4E.

Grey Wolf

Gaiyamato
2009-07-10, 06:25 AM
All I can say is oops... need to pay closer attention to thread titles.

Silly 4e.

lol.
Thanks dude. :)

Gralamin
2009-07-10, 03:00 PM
A. 443

A. 444

No, you cannot. By RAW, it returns at the end of your turn.

Grey Wolf

A. 444 correction
According to PHB 232

Any magic light thrown or heavy thrown weapon ... automatically returns to its wielder's hand after a ranged attack with the weapon is resolved.
Catching a returning thrown weapon is a free action...
So by RAW, it returns after every Ranged attack, which would include the ranged attacks of Twin Strike. It does not, however, by RAW return after an Area or Close attack.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-10, 03:07 PM
A. 444 correction
According to PHB 232

So by RAW, it returns after every Ranged attack, which would include the ranged attacks of Twin Strike. It does not, however, by RAW return after an Area or Close attack.

That was the RAW I was referring to. Reading my original post, I realise now I said "end of the turn", which is wrong. I meant "end of the action". It doesn't return at the end of every ranged attack, though, it returns after the attack is resolved - i.e. if the attack power involves three different hits, it does not return until the end of all three, and thus you can only use it in one of them.

But it seems that D&D representatives said otherwise, which is why I'd like a link (admittedly, I can see the opposite interpretation where "at the end of the ranged attack" means after every hit - but to me an attack is the whole thing - mostly because a free action cannot interrupt another action - it would need to be an immediate interrupt to catch).

Grey Wolf

Gralamin
2009-07-10, 03:25 PM
That was the RAW I was referring to. Reading my original post, I realise now I said "end of the turn", which is wrong. I meant "end of the action". It doesn't return at the end of every ranged attack, though, it returns after the attack is resolved - i.e. if the attack power involves three different hits, it does not return until the end of all three, and thus you can only use it in one of them.

But it seems that D&D representatives said otherwise, which is why I'd like a link (admittedly, I can see the opposite interpretation where "at the end of the ranged attack" means after every hit - but to me an attack is the whole thing - mostly because a free action cannot interrupt another action - it would need to be an immediate interrupt to catch).

Grey Wolf

Free actions can be done even on others turns. In addition, there are free action utilities (Such as Healing Reserve (EPG 50)) that are trigged by actions, and must interrupt.
In addition, you cannot take an immediate interrupt on your own turn, so by your ruling it would be impossible to do so.
You also seem to be confusing a Power with an attack, an effect that lasts until the next attack roll would only trigger on one of the attack rolls on twin strike. So the Power itself is only also the attack if there is a single attack.

I have also seen the CustServ Ruling, but I do not have a link to it.

Douglas
2009-07-10, 03:29 PM
It's question 14 from here (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1396).

Largo
2009-07-11, 12:19 PM
Q445: If a power teleports an enemy, does the teleport fall under the forced movement rules? The rules only mention push, pull, and slide.

Douglas
2009-07-11, 12:26 PM
A445

No, it does not.

XiaoTie
2009-07-11, 12:51 PM
Q. 446

Would the AC bonus granted by Armor Specialization stack with the AC bonus granted by Shield Specialization?

Gralamin
2009-07-11, 12:58 PM
(Peeks in from RL Game)
A. 446

No, they are both Feat bonuses, which do not stack.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-07-13, 10:08 PM
Q 447 Do items, such as Eladrin Ring, which increase the distance on teleport powers increase the distance of the Swordmage Aegis of Assault or Aegis of Ensnarement teleports? If so, how does it affect them?

EDIT: :smallredface: You (V) were right.

RTGoodman
2009-07-13, 10:18 PM
A 447

(I do believe you meant Q 447, by the way. :smallwink:)

The eladrin ring of passage and other teleport-boosting items generally don't have noticeable effect on your aegis of assault or aegis of ensnarement powers. The powers both explicitly say, when your target performs some action within 10 squares, you then teleport adjacent to it or it teleports adjacent to you.

Since YOU are not teleporting with the aegis of ensnarement, it definitely doesn't work there.

With aegis of shielding, I suppose it could increase your teleport by a square or two, but you still end up adjacent to the triggering foe. The foe must still be within 10 squares of you; the ring doesn't change that.

warrl
2009-07-14, 10:24 AM
Q 448

The DDI character creator gives my character +3 skill (dexterity) bonus to my armor class when naked. I can put on hide armor, which is +3 armor, and get the full benefit. If I put on chainmail, which is +6 armor, my AC still only goes up 3. Scale, which is +7, add 4 to AC.

I found a single sentence in PHB1 which supports this in a very general sense for chain mail but not for scale. (Page 213, second sentence of Chainmail section.)

Is this behavior detailed, with actual numbers, somewhere in the rules?

Q 449

Where can I find physical descriptions of more weapons, specifically the double weapons? For starters: is the double sword a shaft with a sword blade on each end, or a pair of swords?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-14, 10:26 AM
A 448

You do not get dexterity/intelligence bonus to AC when wearing Heavy Armour (chainmail and above). You still get the dexterity/intelligence bonus to reflex, though, so you cannot dump it completely.

RAW: PHB 212

Heavy armor is more restrictive, so your natural agility matters less. When you wear heavy armor, you don’t add an ability score modifier to your AC. Chainmail, scale armor, and plate armor are heavy armor.

Grey Wolf

RTGoodman
2009-07-14, 01:54 PM
A 449

At least a few sources I know of detail new weapons - the Adventurer's Vault, the Eberron Campaign Guide, and several Dragon magazines.

The Adventurer's Vault is the one you're looking for - the new weapons section is in the first part of the book. The double sword is a single weapon that has two blades. It's a two-handed superior melee weapon with a +3 proficiency bonus that does 1d8/1d8 damage, has the Defensive and Off-Hand properties, and counts as both a Light Blade and a Heavy Blade.

Sir_Elderberry
2009-07-15, 04:46 PM
Q 450

My wizard took the wand proficiency originally, as I planned to be more of a striker than controller. However, now he's level four and I've been shifting to a controller because I'm quickly realizing that that is where I am most effective. Orb, then, would seem to be the more sensible implement. Can I retrain this when gaining a new level, or do I have to take the Arcane Power feat that gives me another mastery entirely? I already took Implement Expertise (Wand), as well, so I imagine I'll have to retrain that with another level as well. Is there a more...graceful way to do this, without the uncomfortable period of inefficiency? This is Living Forgotten Realms, if it matters.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-15, 04:51 PM
A 450

You will need to talk it over with your DM. By RAW, class features cannot be altered after the creation of the character. You can retrain feats, powers and skills (PHB 28), but not features like the implement mastery in the wizard, the pact in the warlock or the fighter weapon talent.

Edit: you can obviously take the extra implement mastery at level 11, of course, but I understand you want a solution quicker than that.

Grey Wolf

BillyJimBoBob
2009-07-16, 09:36 AM
Disclaimer: I couldn't find a means to search to see if this question had been asked previously. After reading the thread for 6 pages I decided to give up and hope I wasn't being repetitious. I know I'm suggesting work for someone else, but perhaps the first post could be edited with the questions on occasion. I wouldn't be opposed to compiling the list and PMing it to the OP, even.

Q 451
How many Encounter and Daily abilities can a character use in any given encounter or day? I think I know the answer, but I couldn't find it specifically within the rules. The chart within the character creation section of the PHB is for how many are at-will/encounter/utility/daily abilities are known, not for how many can be used. But then in addition to this chart there are some racial abilities which grant encounter abilities, some class features which grant encounter or daily abilities , and some Feats which grant encounter or daily abilities.

Mando Knight
2009-07-16, 09:41 AM
A 451 Smoke 'em if you've got 'em. You can use as many powers as you want in an encounter, with the exception of item dailies, which have the restriction of one use per day per tier. (You get a use back if you hit a milestone, though)

The other exception is the Channel Divinity set of powers, which can only be used once per encounter regardless of how many different CD powers you have. Some powers and items, etc. can increase the number of CD powers you can use in an encounter, though.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-07-16, 10:39 AM
A 451 Smoke 'em if you've got 'em. You can use as many powers as you want in an encounter, with the exception of item dailies, which have the restriction of one use per day per tier. (You get a use back if you hit a milestone, though)

The other exception is the Channel Divinity set of powers, which can only be used once per encounter regardless of how many different CD powers you have. Some powers and items, etc. can increase the number of CD powers you can use in an encounter, though.Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I should have said that there were some places where the use was explicitly spelled out. Another is the Spellbook Feat, which gives additional Encounter and Daily (and Utility? I'm AFB) powers, but does not increase the number you can use, just increasing options. But I couldn't find explicit language for the majority of the racial/class/Feat powers. Does any such language exist, or is this just understood somehow that I've either missed or glossed over?

Mando Knight
2009-07-16, 11:43 AM
Expanded Spellbook increases the number of Daily attack powers that you know, as according to the Spellbook feature of the Wizard, which specifically states that you prepare one of your known Wizard daily spells for each level of daily spell that you can cast ahead of time. Tome of Readiness allows you to replace one Encounter attack spell of any level with another of the same level or lower. Basically, you still only have one daily power of that level, but you get to choose what it is each day instead of at each level, and Expanded Spellbook lets you pick out of a bigger list.

The same thing applies to other similar features, like Student of Sword Magic, which lets you know two swordmage daily spells for each level, and prepare one of each.

Douglas
2009-07-16, 11:50 AM
A451

For the most part, this is a case of ruling by omission - no limit on total number of powers used is ever stated, so none exists. I did find a reference in the sidebar on page 15 of the PHB to using each encounter power once per encounter.

For clarity, the general rule is that usage limits are specific to each individual power only. If you have 5 encounter powers, you can use each and every one of them in the same encounter but only once each. You could, if you wanted to, spend every last one of your dailies in one fight. You could not, however, give up one daily or encounter power in order to use a different one twice. Specific power descriptions can, of course, overrule this.

Things like the Spellbook don't really give you additional powers; instead they change a power from "Do X" to "Do X or Y, choose which at the start of the day". It's still one power, it just has multiple options for its effect.

Multiclass feats do actually give you additional powers, but I think that's the only category that does and the powers they grant are typically weak. Channel Divinity feats, like the Spellbook, just add an option do an existing power (namely Channel Divinity), though in this case you get to pick which one at the time of use.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-07-16, 12:46 PM
Q 452
Do the Feats Powerful Charge (PHB) and Improved Bull Rush (PHB2) stack their bonuses? Neither seems to have a type stated, but I'm not sure if a bonus granted by a Feat is automagically typed as a Feat bonus.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-16, 12:53 PM
A 452

Yes, they do stack. RAW:

A bonus that’s untyped (such as one expressed as simply a “+2 bonus”) usually applies only in certain situations. These situational bonuses reward particular combat tactics.

Both feats mentioned by you are "conditionals" (i.e. only work when bull-rushing or charging) and thus they are untyped. Type has to be explicitely written, it is not assumed.

Edit: Reading Improved Bull Rush more closely, it is typed, strangely. Nevertheless, Powerful attack is not typed, and thus it stacks with IBR.

Grey Wolf

Grynning
2009-07-20, 11:54 AM
Q 453 How does the feat "Defensive Surge" (level 11, Con 15, Warlord), which states "When you use your second wind, you can grant the +2 bonus to all defenses to an adjacent ally, in addition to gaining the bonus yourself." interact with the item Backbone Belt (which actually changes the +2 bonus to a +4 bonus)?
I know a Defending weapon wouldn't work to boost an ally, since it adds an item bonus to all of your defenses, and isn't actually affecting your second wind at all, but the Belt is changing the +2 bonus to a +4, so I would think it would work (the belt has not been errata'ed to a typed bonus btw, I checked).

Kornaki
2009-07-20, 07:00 PM
Q 454

If I knock a flying creature prone in the air (making him crash), and he's close enough to the ground to land safely, is he still prone on the ground?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-07-21, 09:09 AM
A 453 Since the wording of the feat says that you can grant the "+2 bonus" from your second wind and not "your second wind defense bonus" it remains as a +2 bonus to the ally.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-21, 09:16 AM
A 454

No, since the flying creature landed safely, it is not prone. You are only prone if you fall and take damage. RAW:

Prone: You fall prone when you land, unless you take no damage from the fall.

Grey Wolf

mathewt
2009-07-21, 09:26 AM
Q 450

My wizard took the wand proficiency originally, as I planned to be more of a striker than controller. However, now he's level four and I've been shifting to a controller because I'm quickly realizing that that is where I am most effective. Orb, then, would seem to be the more sensible implement. Can I retrain this when gaining a new level, or do I have to take the Arcane Power feat that gives me another mastery entirely? I already took Implement Expertise (Wand), as well, so I imagine I'll have to retrain that with another level as well. Is there a more...graceful way to do this, without the uncomfortable period of inefficiency? This is Living Forgotten Realms, if it matters.

A 450

You mentioned it was LFR...by LFR rules you can't retrain class features except in the case of a new book introducing new material. In that case, you are allowed to change the class feature once in your character's lifetime. For example, with Arcane Power out, you could switch to one of the Tome of x implement masteries , but I don't think switching to Orb is allowed. It's all in the RPGA Character Creation Guide (I think it's a section on retraining, but I don't have access to it right now).

Kylarra
2009-07-21, 06:35 PM
Q455 Would the feats Manifest Resistance and Versatile Resistance stack to give you Cold, Fire and Thunder resist 10?
Forgotten realms Pg 135, 137 respectively

Mauril Everleaf
2009-07-21, 10:01 PM
A 455 Sadly, no. The wording of Manifest Resistance says that it increases the resistance "provided by your elemental manifestation" and the wording of Versatile Resistance does not grant you an additional "elemental manifestation resistance" but rather just plain old resistance. You can take both feats, but only one resistance will be at 10.

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-23, 06:01 PM
Q456: If I am an artificer or an invoker, for example, and I use a quickcurse rod from Adventurer's Vault, can I place that 1/encounter Warlock's Curse, even though I'm not a Warlock?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-23, 06:03 PM
A456

Yes, but since you are not a warlock, you do not get extra damage against the cursed enemy. And it blocks any other warlock from cursing that same target.

Grey Wolf

Shadow_Elf
2009-07-23, 06:14 PM
A456

Yes, but since you are not a warlock, you do not get extra damage against the cursed enemy. And it blocks any other warlock from cursing that same target.

Grey Wolf

D(for discussion?)456:

I thought the bonus damage from Warlock's Curse was inherent in the ability, not in being a Warlock, though.

Arcane Power, page 136. "Once per encounter, you can use the Warlock's Curse class feature. The curse ends the first time you deal the extra damage from Warlock's Curse". It was this text that made me even think it was possible that other rod-users could get the curse damage. In addition, I'm not sure that there is a RAI here, as when Adventurer's Vault was published, Warlocks were the only class capable of using rods as implements.

I'm not saying the answer you gave is wrong, I honestly don't know (that why I asked!), but I feel that "not getting the damage since you're not a Warlock" has no backing in anything written in the books.

EDIT: Just re-read the rules for this thread. I hope this post is not in violation of them. If so, I am perfectly willing to delete this post and start a thread on the topic to discuss further how the item would work in the hands of a non-Warlock.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-23, 06:23 PM
D(for discussion?)456:

I thought the bonus damage from Warlock's Curse was inherent in the ability, not in being a Warlock, though.

Arcane Power, page 136. "Once per encounter, you can use the Warlock's Curse class feature. The curse ends the first time you deal the extra damage from Warlock's Curse". It was this text that made me even think it was possible that other rod-users could get the curse damage. In addition, I'm not sure that there is a RAI here, as when Adventurer's Vault was published, Warlocks were the only class capable of using rods as implements.

I'm not saying the answer you gave is wrong, I honestly don't know (that why I asked!), but I feel that "not getting the damage since you're not a Warlock" has no backing in anything written in the books.

RAW: neither the invoker class nor the artificer class mention they do damage to cursed enemies. Thus, by RAW, they don't and, for them, cursing enemies is useless. You quote the warlock multiclass, too, which is precisely what you would need, at the very least, to add the relevant text to your character. Notice it explicitely says you use the Warlock's Curse class feature. The rod you mention only curses. The ability to do something with that curse requires warlock class features, either the real thing, or the palid multiclass.

If you want, think of the rogue. Would any other class get backstab damage when flnaking? Of course not. Same difference. The ability to curse does not confer the class feature to damage cursed enemies.

Grey Wolf

Edit: re: thread rules, we seem to be fairly informal about discussion in-thread lately. If you find an answer unclear, nothing stops you from posting a more nuanced question. And we (particularly me) do make mistakes sometimes, so others can step in to state their own interpretations.

Kylarra
2009-07-24, 10:44 PM
Q 457 how do double weapons interact with dual implement spellcaster?
AV p10, AP p 125

Mando Knight
2009-07-24, 10:58 PM
A 457 It acts as two enchanted items, as normal, so long as the weapon functions as an implement for your class (via Pact Blade, Swordmage, Arcane Implement Proficiency, etc.). However, the property bonuses still only apply to the primary head.

loopy
2009-07-25, 01:04 PM
Q458

Does standing up from prone provoke rules of opportunity in 4E? It isn't mentioned, but my Barbarian with lots of knockdown moves certainly hopes so.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-07-25, 01:09 PM
A458

Actions that provoke attacks of opportunity specifically say so. Stand Up action, thus, does not.

Grey Wolf

RTGoodman
2009-07-25, 01:15 PM
A 458 Continued

As Grey_Wolf said, no, standing up does not provoke an OA. The source for this is PHB pg. 292, in the "Stand Up" section.

oxinabox
2009-07-27, 02:00 AM
Q459
Do the mounts pulling a wagon provoke Attacks of Opertunity, when moving?
Adventurer's vault specifically says that that vechals don't provoke AoO against themselves or against those on them.

Q460
What is the speed of a riding horse? MM says 10, Adventurers vault says 8.
Does Av superceed?

HMS Invincible
2009-07-28, 12:58 AM
Q461. Poison Cloud Wizard daily 5 spell says that anyone who enters the zone takes damage. What counts as entering the zone? My DM got mad at me for moving the zone onto them. Or from moving the zone back and forth over them making them repeatedly enter the zone. Is it only when someone pushes them into my cloud?

BlackSheep
2009-07-28, 07:35 AM
A 461 The power you reference is Stinking Cloud (PHB 161). Creatures will take damage when they take an action to enter the zone on their turn or if they start their turn in it. Forced movement will not trigger immediate damage, nor will moving the zone over them.

Also, I don't believe you're allowed to move the zone back and forth over an area. Though I can't find any backup for this belief and such movement wouldn't have any practical effect.

Mando Knight
2009-07-28, 08:15 AM
A 461 The power you reference is Stinking Cloud (PHB 161). Creatures will take damage when they take an action to enter the zone on their turn or if they start their turn in it. Forced movement will not trigger immediate damage, nor will moving the zone over them.

Contention

The following phrase incorrect.

Creatures will take damage when they take an action to enter the zone on their turn
The text of the power says that "creatures that enter the zone or start their turns there" take damage. This means that forced movement or moving the cloud could activate the damage.

However, the text is unclear on that point. To avoid "milking" damage too much, I would personally disallow damage on moving the cloud, but allow forced movement to trigger the damage.

Faleldir
2009-07-28, 08:40 AM
Q 462
The Binding Style feat form DR368 lets me immobilize the target of my Dual Strike exploit if both attacks hit. This exploit now only works with two different targets. Do I immobilize them both?

Gralamin
2009-07-28, 03:49 PM
A 462

Dual Strike ( fighter, MP 7): While you wield a spear
and a flail, if both attacks hit, you can immobilize the
target until the end of your next turn instead of dealing
damage to it.
By RAW, yes, you would immobilize both targets, as long as your wielding a spear and a flail and both attacks hit.

Edit:
A461 Contention Answer
When a zone is moved, creatures do not enter it. Entering requires them to move into it somehow, such as forced movement, or a move action. Thus, a creature doesn't take damage for a zone moved into their space until some other trigger causes it, such as starting their turn in the zone.

HMS Invincible
2009-07-28, 10:03 PM
A 462

A461 Contention Answer
When a zone is moved, creatures do not enter it. Entering requires them to move into it somehow, such as forced movement, or a move action. Thus, a creature doesn't take damage for a zone moved into their space until some other trigger causes it, such as starting their turn in the zone.
Q461B
If I had say, Wall of Fire in a U shaped line, would they take damage repeatedly if each PC forced them into the zone?

Gralamin
2009-07-28, 11:28 PM
A461B

As long as the U has a Hollow space in between, IE something like

. . .
F . F
F . F
F F F

Then if they move into and out of the zone (IE: Pushed through the hollow space), they would of Entered the zone twice, and thus would trigger the effect twice.

cupkeyk
2009-07-29, 05:34 AM
Q 463

My bard took up Arcane implement Proficiency (Heavy blade) to use a cunning longsword. At level 21 when he qualifies for Bard Implement Expertise, can he crit on a 19-20 with his longsword using arcane powers? (To rephrase, does Arcane Implement Proficiency add a implement to your class' implements?)

Kaziel
2009-07-29, 12:52 PM
Got a bunch of questions all tied together.

First off, in order to understand my questions, they all tie back to the just released book: Divine Power. I play a Paladin and I've opted to take the 2nd level Utility power Bless Weapon.

Bless Weapon
Daily * Divine, Radiant
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Choose one weapon you are wielding. Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls with that weapon, and it deals 1d6 extra radiant damage on a hit. In addition, you can score a critical hit with the weapon on a roll of 18-20 against creatures vulnerable to radiant damage.

Now for my questions.

Q 464-A: If I take the feat Heavy Blade Mastery when I reach high levels, and use this ability with it, will it expand the crit range when attacking a radiant vulnerable creature or will it over write them?

Q 464-B: If I use a power which inflicts vulnerable 3 radiant on a creature that has resist 5 radiant, how do these two conflicting abilities react? I can imagine four scenarios.

The strongest trait is the only active one, so the vulnerable 3 radiant is ignored in favor of the stronger resist 5 radiant.
There's a "priority list", such as vulnerable always overwrites resist, but immune always overwrites vulnerable. In this case, even though resist 5 radiant is numerically stronger, because it is a "weaker" trait, it's ignored.
The vulnerable lowers the effect of the resist from 5 to 2, but isn't counted (thus Bless Weapon does not give me an increased crit range).
Both are counted independently, thus giving the same effect as scenario 3, but I gain the increased crit range benefit.

Q 464-C: In the event of the above scenario 1 being the true one, in the case of equal vulnerabilities and resists (e.g. I place vulnerable 5 radiant on a creature with resist 5 radiant), which takes precendent?

Mando Knight
2009-07-29, 01:11 PM
A 464-A
Heavy Blade Mastery does not stack with Bless Weapon. Use the better critical range when attacking a radiant-vulnerable monster.

A 464-B
The target is both vulnerable and resistant to the damage type. Subtract the difference of the resistance and vulnerability from the damage roll. In this case, you would subtract 2 damage. However, it is still vulnerable to radiant damage, and thus activates the increased critical range.

Kaziel
2009-07-29, 01:34 PM
A 464-A
Heavy Blade Mastery does not stack with Bless Weapon. Use the better critical range when attacking a radiant-vulnerable monster.

A 464-B
The target is both vulnerable and resistant to the damage type. Subtract the difference of the resistance and vulnerability from the damage roll. In this case, you would subtract 2 damage. However, it is still vulnerable to radiant damage, and thus activates the increased critical range.Not doubting you, my good man, but could I get a source for this info? :)

Mando Knight
2009-07-29, 02:02 PM
Not doubting you, my good man, but could I get a source for this info? :)

The first is simple: They have strict numerical values, unlike the Improved Critical feat and Keen property from 3.5.

The second is more of a simple explanation taking advantage of a lack of definition: Vulnerability and Resistance are never explained as being mutually exclusive, nor do the books ever say that adding a vulnerability to a type the monster is resistant to subtracts from the full value of the resistance. Instead, Vulnerability and Resistance are listed separately on a monster's statblock. This (presumably) means that it is simultaneously resistant and vulnerable to the attack type when it lists (or acquires) both resistance and vulnerability to the same type.

Gralamin
2009-07-29, 06:31 PM
Q 463

My bard took up Arcane implement Proficiency (Heavy blade) to use a cunning longsword. At level 21 when he qualifies for Bard Implement Expertise, can he crit on a 19-20 with his longsword using arcane powers? (To rephrase, does Arcane Implement Proficiency add a implement to your class' implements?)

A 463
No. Arcane Implement Proficiency allows you to use implements that are not your own classes, similar to how multiclass feats allow you to use another classes implements.

Kaziel
2009-07-31, 03:52 PM
First question: Q 465

The Bracers of Mighty Striking (PHB pg. 244) have this text:
Property: When you hit with a melee basic attack, you gain a +2 item bonus to the damage roll.

I have the power "Virtuous Strike" with this text:
Special: This power can be used as a melee basic attack.

Does this mean I can apply the damage bonus from the Bracers of Mighty Striking to my Virtuous Strikes?

======

Second question: Q 466

The Gem of Colloquy (AV pg. 141) has this text:
Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks. Understand and speak 1 additional langauge, chosen at the time of the gem's creation.

The Holy Speech feat (DP pg. 135) has a Prerequisite of "Any divine class, fluent in Supernal". Obviously I can't learn Supernal as a level 1 character, and my character is too dumb to learn the Linguist feat (INT 10... wooo). If I have a Gem of Colloquy that allows me to speak Supernal, can I learn the Holy Speech feat?

======

Final bit is not a question, but I'm bringing back a post from a ways back because it was incorrect.

The question was:
Q 265

If I use a Frozen Whetstone [AV 190] on a longsword, do the powers I use with the long sword have the Cold keyword?

To this he was given this reply:
A 265 The text on page 55 of the PHB indicates that any power that deals acid damage has the Acid keyword. A logical extrapolation from that is that any power that does a specified damage type has that damage keyword. Since your power now does (a small amount of) cold damage, it would have the Cold keyword. You are now eligible to utilize the Wintertouched/Lasting Frost combo, but for only one attack at the cost of 100 gold.

Beyond the obvious fact that Mauril misunderstood how a whetstone works (lasts for an encounter not a single hit), Mauril made a mistake on how keywords work. While it is generally true that if an attack or weapon does a certain type of damage, it will have the keyword and vice versa, it is not absolutely connected. Feats, powers and items that reference keywords do so very specifically.

For example, the Crusader's Weapon (AV pg. 66) has this property:
Property: Half the damage dealt with this weapon is radiant damage.

Now compare that bit with this text from page 226 of the PHB:
Like racial powers and class powers, magic item powers often have keywords that indicicate their damage or effect types. When you are using a magic item as part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords of the item's power and the other power all apply. For instance, if a paladin uses a flaming sword to attack with a power that deals radiant damage, the power deals both fire and radiant damage.

Emphasis mine. At no point anywhere in the description of the Crusader's Weapon the Radiant keyword mentioned. This means, based on the text above, if you were to do a melee attack power that had neither the Radiant nor the Fire keywords with it, and you had the Astral Fire feat (PHB pg. 193) which boosts the damage rolls of powers that have the said keywords by +1, you would not benefit from the Astral Fire feat for that attack, despite half of the damage being converted to Radiant damage.

Other examples where attack rolls don't do a certain type of damage but do benefit from having a matching keyword are "To the Nine Hells with you" (PHB pg. 98) and "Prismatic Spray (PHB pg. 168).

Let's start by taking a look at the hit information for "To the Nine Hells with You":

Hit: 6d6 + Charisma modifier damage, and ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends). The target is marked until the end of your next turn.

As you can clearly read the damage from the roll does non-typed damage, while causing ongoing fire damage. That ongoing aspect of it gives the power it's Fire keyword, but the wording of Astral Fire merely requries the Fire keyword, therefore you would add +3 damage (since this is an epic level ability) to the roll on top of everything else.

As for "Prismatic Spray", the ability has the keywords of "Arcane, Fear, Fire, Implement, Poison". It's a burst and when you make your attack roll against each target, you compare your result (one attack roll) to each defense (Fort, Ref, and Will). Now for the hit text for the Fort and Ref portions (Will doesn't do damage):

Hit (Fortitude): If the attack hits the target's Fortitude defense, the target takes 3d6 + Intelligence modifier poison damage and is slowed (save ends).
Hit (Reflex): If the attack hits the target's Reflex defense, the target takes 3d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 15 fire damage (save ends).

With the rules as written, a Wizard with the Astral Fire feat who hits with both will increase the damage to each roll by +3 (again, this is an epic level ability). Also, even if you miss with the Reflex portion (fire), since the keyword applies to the power as a total instead of each specific portion of the attack, you'd still increase the poison damage roll by +3.

I'm sure there are other abilities that have similar situations, but I'm not interested in scrounging through all the powers to find them (at least not at the moment... not that bored yet. ;) ), but there are situations where damage type =/= keyword. Basically what I'm saying is read the feat, item, or power as it is and don't make assumptions.

Side note: The Frozen Whetstone does have the cold keyword, so it would cause powers used with it to have the cold keyword.

======

EDIT: Numbering my questions after the reply because I'm a stupid stupid-head.

Hzurr
2009-07-31, 04:22 PM
Make sure that you number your questions, to make the thread easier to follow. I'll do it for you in the quote below.

First question: Q 465

The Bracers of Mighty Striking (PHB pg. 244) have this text:

I have the power "Virtuous Strike" with this text:

Does this mean I can apply the damage bonus from the Bracers of Mighty Striking to my Virtuous Strikes?

======

A 465
Yes, the power is used as a melee basic, which means that this feat applies, that it can be used as an Opportunity Attack, and can be triggered by a Warlord's <insert power that gives basic attack here>

Second question: Q 466

The Gem of Colloquy (AV pg. 141) has this text:

The Holy Speech feat (DP pg. 135) has a Prerequisite of "Any divine class, fluent in Supernal". Obviously I can't learn Supernal as a level 1 character, and my character is too dumb to learn the Linguist feat (INT 10... wooo). If I have a Gem of Colloquy that allows me to speak Supernal, can I learn the Holy Speech feat?

A 466
Are you allowed to learn Supernal through the linguist feat? If so, I'd say yes. However, keep in mind, that if you ever lose the gem, you no longer meet the feat requisites, and would lose access to the feat until after you re-trained.

(this answer is a bit by memory of the rules, rather than anything I'm looking at right now, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)/

Mauril Everleaf
2009-08-03, 12:29 AM
Comment on Kaziel's Correction to A 265
To be clear, are you saying that my interpretation was right or wrong? You seem to say both.

oxinabox
2009-08-03, 01:14 AM
I repeat: (this has fallen back acouple of pages without being asnwered)
Q459
Adventurer's vault specifically says that that vechals don't provoke AoO against themselves or against those on them.

Q460
Does Av superceed?

Gralamin
2009-08-03, 01:26 AM
I repeat: (this has fallen back acouple of pages without being asnwered)
Q459

Q460
Does Av superceed?

A459
From Page 14 of AV

Vehicles pulled by creatures indicate only the vehicle's space. The creatures pulling it occupy their normal space on the battle grid.
This suggests that the creatures are separate from the vehicle, Occupying a space adjacent. In addition the rules state only creatures occupying the vehicle and the vehicle itself ignore Opportunity attacks, and so the creature pulling the vehicle should follow the normal rules for moving, which indicates they do provoke Opportunity attacks

A460
Before asking questions, please check the updates which may be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/updates)

Mounts table [Revision]
Adventurer’s Vault, page 11
In the “Horse, Riding” entry, replace “8” with “10”.
In the “Horse, Warhorse” entry, replace “200” with “680”.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-08-03, 07:01 AM
A 465 Alternate I would say that since the wording does not say "this attack is a melee basic attack" but rather says that it "can be" used as one, it does not qualify for the bonus from the Bracers of Mighty Striking. This, I expect, is also RAI, since there are another set of bracers a few levels higher that give the same bonus to all melee attacks.

Faleldir
2009-08-05, 01:45 PM
An easy one:
Q 467
If a power deals damage on a miss, it only deals a fixed amount, right? No bonuses apply to it? I can't find the rule that says that.

Douglas
2009-08-05, 01:56 PM
A467

Long answer: That depends on the power and the bonuses involved. If a power does half damage on a miss, then roll damage including all bonuses as if it had hit, then divide by 2 and round down. If a power has miss damage listed that makes no reference to the hit damage, treat it exactly the same way as hit damage. Most bonuses to damage specifically give the bonus to "damage rolls". If the miss damage includes a die roll, then these bonuses apply. If it is a constant number, then they do not. If you happen to have a damage bonus from somewhere that does not say anything about rolls, then it applies regardless as long as that bonus's requirements are met.

Short answer: There's nothing special about misses with regard to whether bonuses apply or not. Roll vs fixed number is a very common important distinction, however.

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 06:44 PM
Q468 I'll probably regret this, but, per the grappling rules (phb290), since sustaining a grab is a minor action, does that mean you can still attack using your attack action, assuming you've already grabbed them?

Mando Knight
2009-08-05, 07:18 PM
A468 Yes. So long as you have an equipped weapon or implement in your other hand (at least one hand must be free to grab), you can use your standard action to attack using that item. A holy symbol might get around that, check with your DM.

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 07:52 PM
Awesome,
As a corollary, though I'll label it as a new one
Q469 - if you're being grabbed, can you still attack them, or do you have to escape first?

Normally I hate grappling rules, but my druid just got to level 7.

Mando Knight
2009-08-05, 08:44 PM
A 469 Yes. You can attack an opponent that is grabbing you. The main effect of being grabbed is that you are immobilized until you escape.

RTGoodman
2009-08-05, 09:02 PM
Q 470

Is there any feat, background, paragon path, or other such ability anywhere that lets you substitute another stat instead of Dexterity when determining your initiative modifier?

Shadow_Elf
2009-08-05, 09:12 PM
Q 470

Is there any feat, background, paragon path, or other such ability anywhere that lets you substitute another stat instead of Dexterity when determining your initiative modifier?

A 470 - Yes, there is a Deva-only feat that allows the use of Wisdom for calculating initiative. This feat can also be picked up by characters with the "Deva Heritage" feat, so its worth looking into for any Wis-Primary character. I am also 90% certain that there is a paragon path that allows for Initiative substitution, but I can't remember it right now.

Urist Ironblood
2009-08-06, 09:04 AM
Several skills, but in particular paladin marks, trigger their effects whenever the marked creature "makes an attack that does not include you as a target".

Q 471: If the marking player (Paladin Adam) becomes invisible, and the creature (Beast Bob) attacks an empty square in which it expects to find Adam, does Bob's attack on an empty square trigger the mark's damage effects?

Q 472: If a third creature (Creature Charlie) -- also invisible -- is in that empty square, and is hit by Bob's attack, does Bob's attack on Charlie trigger the mark's damage effects?

Q 473: If Charlie is cloaked in an illusion which makes Charlie appear to be Adam, does Bob's attack on Charlie-who-seems-to-be-Adam trigger the mark's damage effects?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-08-06, 09:12 AM
Q 471: If the marking player (Paladin Adam) becomes invisible, and the creature (Beast Bob) attacks an empty square in which it expects to find Adam, does Bob's attack on an empty square trigger the mark's damage effects?
No, it is a failed attack, as if he had not attacked at all.

Q 472: If a third creature (Creature Charlie) -- also invisible -- is in that empty square, and is hit by Bob's attack, does Bob's attack on Charlie trigger the mark's damage effects?
Yes.

Q 473: If Charlie is cloaked in an illusion which makes Charlie appear to be Adam, does Bob's attack on Charlie-who-seems-to-be-Adam trigger the mark's damage effects?
Yes.

Grey Wolf

Kaziel
2009-08-06, 12:57 PM
Comment on Kaziel's Correction to A 265
To be clear, are you saying that my interpretation was right or wrong? You seem to say both.First off, sorry for the delay.

I was saying your interpretation was incorrect. I apologize for being unclear.

The way I read what you said, it was this: If there is damage of a certain type, it will have that keyword.

To justify this statement, you mentioned a quote on page 55 of the PHB. I'll quote that and emphasize what I believe to be the points you considered important:
The other keywords define the fundamental effects of a power. For instance, a power that deals acid damage is an acid effect and thus has the acid keyword.Thus you came to the (quite reasonable) conclusion that anything that gives you the ability to deal damage of a certain type would also imbue you with said keyword. The problem is that these rules are the ones for powers, not items, which is what the original question was about.

The rules for how item powers works I already detailed with a quote from PHB pg. 226. The catch is when there is a property alters damage done. Properties do not have keywords despite, in some cases, changing damage to other types (such as the Crusader Weapon turning half of the damage dealt into Radiant damage).

As such, your statement of damage = keyword is incorrect.

Jardar
2009-08-07, 04:20 AM
Q 474:

Is there a system for using diplomacy on groups of characters, like a small mob?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-08-07, 09:07 AM
A 474

It is the same system as for using it in single characters: skill challenges.

Grey Wolf

BillyJimBoBob
2009-08-07, 11:46 AM
Q475
Are conjured objects which can move or be moved subject to terrain movement modifications?

Specifically and as an example, does a Flaming Sphere with a move of 6 have to pay 2 move to pass through a square of difficult terrain?

Flaming Sphere

You conjure a rolling ball of fire and control where it goes.

Daily Arcane, Conjuration, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10

Effect: You conjure a Medium flaming sphere that occupies a square within range, and the sphere attacks. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the sphere takes 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. As a move action, you can move the sphere 6 squares.squares.

Target: One creature adjacent to the flaming sphere

Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter. As a standard action, you can make another attack with the sphere.

Revision (11/19/2008)
Move the Effect line above the Target line
Revision (7/28/2008)
Replace the Effect line with the following:
Effect: You conjure a Medium flaming sphere that occupies a square within range, and the sphere attacks. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the sphere takes 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. As a move action, you can move the sphere 6 squares.
I believe that the Flaming Sphere would have to pay for terrain, based on the "logic" that the controller would have to guide the Sphere around any rocks or trees or other terrain. But I can find no rules clarifying this either for or against. I have found rules which state that (from memory) conjurations are not impacted by environmental factors. This could be stretched to include terrain type, but the examples given make me believe that the RAI are so that the GM doesn't say "Well, you rolled your Flaming Sphere out over the river. It gutters out", or (as is an actual example, paraphrased through my memory) "Your chilling hand conjuration melts due to the heat of the volcano." This kind of environmental factor is not the same as a rock in the way of the Sphere which it will have to be maneuvered around when it's trying to be moved 6 squares in a straight line.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-08-07, 06:34 PM
A 475

I have not found any explicit RAW (so take with a grain of salt), but there is this in PHB2:
The conjuration does not need to be supported by a solid surface, so it can float in the air (PHB2 220, my italics)

I interpret this to mean that you can consider all conjuration to have fly (hover) movement, which means it ignores any difficult terrain short of solid obstacles (which are covered later on in the movement section). Even your example of tree branches or big rocks, you can always move the conjuration diagonally up, since it flies, skipping the square completely (if you wanted to end in that square, you can technically end in any above it, and then let it "drop" since the fall won't hurt it). Without such complicated moves, though, in essence, the conjuration can simply float a foot above any problem with the ground. I take that to mean that RAI the conjuration ignores difficult terrain.

Grey Wolf

Dekkah
2009-08-12, 11:14 AM
Q 476 When changing the size of a weapon, does the brutal value stay the same? I ask because one of my players want to play à Bugbear with an large executionner axe, wich is Brutal 2. While medium, the weapon have 1D12 (wich is good), but if you upgrade it to Large, it becomes 2D6... wich seem kinda insane to me since it pump up the average DMG quite a bit.

Q 477 Do you have to choose both target before the attack roll with Twin strike (and any power wich gives "two or more attacks")? Is there an official ruling on this, because i've seen many different opinions.

Q 278 Does Teleportation trigger Weave Throught the Fray (ranger power)?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-08-12, 11:32 AM
A 476 Yes, it does stay the same. This is why WotC has ruled that Bugbears are broken. They removed that racial power from Minotaurs when they restatted them in Dragon.

A 478 Since teleportation is a type of moving, yes it does.

HPhage
2009-08-19, 08:26 AM
I haven't found this anywhere else here in the thread...

Q 479 During a recent session the party's bard used his "Misdirected Mark" power on a monster and stated that the monster was "marked" buy the party warden. As Defenders, warden's can use Warden's Fury or Warden's Grasp on enemies that they have marked. So my question is, in this case since the warden didn't actually do the marking would it kick off their mark or would the monster just be considered "Marked" and suffer the -2 to attacks that do not include the creature they are "marked" by?

I can see that RAW probably indicates that it doesn't matter, but it doesn't "feel" right.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-08-19, 10:03 AM
A479

I don't think it is RAW, but RAI I believe that the Warden, and the other defenders can indeed use any and all powers related to their marks with this "bard created" mark. So, for example, a fighter can stop him from moving away, and a Paladin can get the extra damage from his at-will. In my view, it works for all intents and purposes as if the character named by the bard had created the mark himself.

Grey Wolf

Mando Knight
2009-08-19, 11:41 AM
A479
It is indeed RAW. The Bard's Misdirected Mark causes the monster to be "marked by" the other character. This is functionally identical to being "marked by" that character through use of his own powers. It does not, however, function as being subjected to a Paladin's Divine Sanction or Divine Challenge, or a Swordmage's Aegis, since those are specific types of mark.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-08-19, 03:15 PM
Q480
I've read on this forum that WotC is pretty good (although also pretty inconsistent) about replying to rules questions. Does anyone have that email address or web site url?

Q481
More on the Flaming Sphere. The Wizard moves it next to a Kobold Dragonshield. They have the ability to shift when an "enemy" moves adjacent to them. I understand that the Sphere does not count as a 'person' in the sense that you can not use it to gain a flanking combat advantage, but it would seem to be not logical and perhaps not RAI that the Kobolds can say "Hey, a guy with a sword just stepped up to me, I think I'll shift away" while they can not say "Hey, a big ball of fire just rolled up to me and it's been flaming down my buddies all throughout this fight. I think I'll just shift away." Thoughts and/or RAW to cite?

Q482
Sneak Attack. May be applied once per turn. But, may be applied to multiple targets if they are a part of the same attack? Powers such as Blinding Barrage allow for multiple targets for a single attack.

SNEAK ATTACK
Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and hit that enemy with an attack that uses a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling, the attack deals extra damage. If you have dealt Sneak Attack damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll. As you advance in level, your extra damage increases.This reads to me as though the extra damage is strictly only once per turn, but I could be persuaded that it works on all targets hit in a single attack.

Q483
Sneak Attack corollary. If Sneak Attack damage is strictly guided by this sentence "If you have dealt Sneak Attack damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn." then this would mean that if the Rogue applied the SA damage during his attack that he could not apply it during an AOO that occurred after his turn. Is this correct?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-08-19, 03:28 PM
A480
Try http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/contact

A481
As far as I know, per RAW, the kobold does not respond to a conjuration moving next him. Now, if as DM you want to change it, go ahead, but "target" and "conjuration" are different categories. He also cannot attack it, for example (unlike, say, a summon).

A482
RAW: "If you have dealt Sneak Attack damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn."
This means only one enemy, only once per turn. Remember that a power with multiple melee and/or ranged attacks roll damage separately (PH 270). Since you have to use a weapon to perform sneak attacks, this probably rules out any area or blast attacks that would deal the same damage to many targets, but feel free to find an example of either.

A483
Correct. If you Sneak Attack during your turn, you cannot do it again in any AoO that may arise before the start of the next turn.

ColdSepp
2009-08-19, 04:08 PM
A. 482 Extra

There is a feat in Martial Power that lets you Sneak Attack again if you spend an Action point.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-08-19, 05:07 PM
A481
As far as I know, per RAW, the kobold does not respond to a conjuration moving next him. Now, if as DM you want to change it, go ahead, but "target" and "conjuration" are different categories. He also cannot attack it, for example (unlike, say, a summon).I like the fact that 4e uses keywords to more rigorously define things than in prior editions. I don't like it when I have to keep looking up a keyword when I see it used in a rule section to make sure that I'm capturing all of the nuances of interaction. C'est la vie, I suppose.
The word in question appear to be "enemy" (my bolds):

Dragonshield Tactics (immediate reaction, when an adjacent enemy shifts away or an enemy moves adjacent, at-will)

The kobold dragonshield shifts 1 square.And possibly "conjuration" and/or other words, but I'm AFB and the Compendium doesn't appear to allow you to look up specific rules section unless they fall within one of the categories their search engine allows.

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-20, 04:35 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: We're ending this one a few pages early and consolidating all RAW questions in the new thread: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6763858#post6763858).