PDA

View Full Version : Paradox alert! (spoiler)

pendell
2008-06-16, 06:18 AM
Okay, so we see in 566 that the Oracle is not a cleric and therefore can't raise anyone from the dead.

BUT! None of the party members has actually asked and been answered that as a question; therefore, they will not remember it when they leave the site.

Which most likely means they turn right around and try AGAIN ... and again ... and again ... and again ...

... unless there's some sort of loophole in the memory charm. Thoughts?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

factotum
2008-06-16, 06:38 AM
They would know they've been to the valley and out again, so they'd have to be complete morons not to realise that Roy still being dead presumably means they failed and the Oracle can't help them, no matter what they remember about actually being inside.

Constantinople
2008-06-16, 06:40 AM
Also, I'd thought that he would allow them that one free as to avoid that sort of thing. Perhaps that'll appear as one of the things the giant disembodied mouth will say if a group visits the Oracle again?

kierthos
2008-06-16, 07:05 AM
I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Side note: The Oracle sure seems grumpy when he's visited for the very services he relies on to keep him in snazzy purple robes.

Haruspex
2008-06-16, 07:18 AM
Side note: The Oracle sure seems grumpy when he's visited for the very services he relies on to keep him in snazzy purple robes.

Could be a monopoly thing. I've not heard of any other Oracle who provides a similar service, so the kobold probably doesn't bother with being friendly and/or just hates non-draconics. Also, no one will remember him anyway.

Tass
2008-06-16, 09:01 AM
I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Don't forget he got a rough treatment last time they visited, and last time their friends visited too.

And last time he was interupted during bath-time too.

raphfrk
2008-06-16, 01:31 PM
Okay, so we see in 566 that the Oracle is not a cleric and therefore can't raise anyone from the dead.

BUT! None of the party members has actually asked and been answered that as a question; therefore, they will not remember it when they leave the site.

The will know "where is the nearest good aligned cleric who can raise Roy?". Since they will know both question and answer, they will know that the oracle isn't actually a cleric.

Yendor
2008-06-16, 02:06 PM
The will know "where is the nearest good aligned cleric who can raise Roy?". Since they will know both question and answer, they will know that the oracle isn't actually a cleric.

Either that, or isn't good-aligned.

The Extinguisher
2008-06-16, 03:26 PM
Or won't raise Roy

B.I.T.T.
2008-06-16, 04:06 PM
They'll repeat to themselves "It's just a comic, I should really just relax?" :smallamused:

Yendor
2008-06-16, 04:28 PM
Don't spoil our fun. :smallannoyed:

Chronos
2008-06-16, 04:50 PM
I'm just hoping that this time, someone (Haley?) will finally think to write things down before they leave.

B.I.T.T.
2008-06-16, 04:57 PM
Don't spoil our fun. :smallannoyed:

But then how will I have any fun?

Helanna
2008-06-16, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor

Don't spoil our fun.

But then how will I have any fun?

No doubt by feeding rocks to children in the park. You obviously enjoy ruining people's fun. :smallyuk: Class-hole. (http://xkcd.com/72/)

How many comics do you think Rich could waste with them continuously forgetting, then returning to the oracle, then forgetting, then returning to . . . Of course, we would be compelled to start a fan uprising. C'mon, even the oracle would eventually get a bit boring.

David Argall
2008-06-17, 01:05 AM
A possibility now is that they forget and return and find the dead kobold and have no idea how that happened, so they try to raise him too.

Chazzie
2008-06-17, 01:06 AM
Well, due to 567, I think it's safe to say this won't happen. :smalleek:

Querzis
2008-06-17, 01:11 AM
Its also safe to say that:

Well if I knew a level 13 halfling was out to kill me and the only chance I had to stay alive were theories about how he caused other peoples death indirectly, I would be grumpy too.

TigerHunter
2008-06-17, 01:26 AM
And another one bites the dust...

Kurald Galain
2008-06-17, 06:40 AM
Well if I knew a level 13 halfling was out to kill me and the only chance I had to stay alive were theories about how he caused other peoples death indirectly, I would be grumpy too.

It's still a paradox, though, because if he hadn't spouted those theories, Belkar would have had no reason to kill him right now.

(well, okay, Belkar does not really need a reason to kill people. But still).

Tom_Violence
2008-06-17, 07:05 AM
No doubt by feeding rocks to children in the park. You obviously enjoy ruining people's fun. :smallyuk: Class-hole. (http://xkcd.com/72/)

Oh dear, xkcd, the unoriginal's first, and often only, resort. :smallsigh:

Anyway, I fully endorse the hope that when they get out there, Rich only makes a little joke about it without having to waste strips and strips on this so-called paradox. I reckon he's got more skill than that. I crave development!

Morgan Wick
2008-06-17, 08:49 AM
Also, I'd thought that he would allow them that one free as to avoid that sort of thing. Perhaps that'll appear as one of the things the giant disembodied mouth will say if a group visits the Oracle again?

"The Oracle is for future-prediction purposes only. Any attempt to use the Oracle for other purposes, including cleric duties such as healing party members, raising party members, and scrying on any person or persons, is strictly prohibited."

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-06-17, 09:26 AM
It's still a paradox, though, because if he hadn't spouted those theories, Belkar would have had no reason to kill him right now.

(well, okay, Belkar does not really need a reason to kill people. But still).

Not really. If the Oracle had said no, Belkar might have killed the Oracle. Thus making the answer yes.

Occasional Sage
2008-06-17, 02:11 PM

How many comics do you think Rich could waste with them continuously forgetting, then returning to the oracle, then forgetting, then returning to . . . Of course, we would be compelled to start a fan uprising. C'mon, even the oracle would eventually get a bit boring.

Even better, he could just recycle the same strip and post it under a variety of titles for, say, five straight days in order to get the metajoke in.

We'd all get excited and check out the new comic, only to find that we'd been Stick-rolled (again).

ericgrau
2008-06-18, 07:46 PM
Paradox resolved.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-06-19, 02:03 AM
Maybe now that it's dead the spell will be void or something

Red XIV
2008-06-19, 02:52 AM
A possibility now is that they forget and return and find the dead kobold and have no idea how that happened, so they try to raise him too.
That idea works pretty well.:smallbiggrin: