PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - Class Act: Wizard (Illusion Powers!)

SamTheCleric
2008-06-16, 08:43 PM
Original: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080616

Class Acts returns to Dragon in issue #364 with a new support article for wizards. If you’re looking to play a master of deception who looks to turn his enemies’ minds against them, this article featuring new illusion spells is right for you. Featuring a number of classic D&D illusions, as well as some newcomers, this Class Acts is ready for immediate integration in your D&D campaign.

* See it now! (356 Kbs PDF)

Few wizard archetypes are more recognizable than the illusionist, a spellcaster that calls up false images and sounds using arcane power to fool, confuse, and otherwise befuddle his foes.
About the Author

Rodney Thompson is a game designer at Wizards of the Coast, Inc. His previous design credits include the Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition, the Starships of the Galaxy supplement, and the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide supplement.

My favorite is the Illusory Wall...

Illusory Wall Wizard Utility 10
A seemingly solid wall materializes before your foes, dividing
the battlefield with your convincing illusion.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Illusion, Implement
Standard Action Area wall 8 within 20 squares
Effect: You create the illusion of a contiguous wall of solid material (stone or metal, for example). The wall can be up to 8 squares long and 4 squares high. The wall blocks line of sight for all enemies (but not your allies). When any enemy moves adjacent to the wall, you can make an attack (Intelligence vs. Will) against that target; if successful, the target cannot move through the wall on its current turn, but it can try again on later turns. On a miss, the wall no longer blocks line of sight or movement for that creature.
Sustain You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter.

Kabump
2008-06-16, 08:57 PM
I saw these as well, a lot of them seem very powerful. I see no reason for a controller focused wizard to NOT take the Illusionary Ambush, that at-will is rediculous. In fact, all the lvl 1 abilities are pretty good compared to PHB ones.

Crow
2008-06-16, 09:01 PM
OMG...I didn't expect to see the power creep this soon.

Many of these seem to be much better than their PHB counterparts for similar levels. You'd have to be a fool to pass up that At-Will...

LoopyZebra
2008-06-16, 09:26 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but the at-will doesn't seem that unbalanced compared to the other wizard at-wills. If anything, it's worse, since it targets one enemy instead of multiple. Could someone explain what they find unbalanced about it?

As to the powers in general, they don't seem that different from the other powers, although, arguably, that's true of all the powers so far. They remind me a lot of the Fey Warlock powers, actually.

wodan46
2008-06-16, 09:54 PM
With the exception of Magic Missile, all At-Wills deal 1d6 damage, and are at 10 range except for Thunderwave.

Cloud of Daggers deals auto wis damage and lasts until end of your next turn
Ray of Frost reduces their movement speed to 2 until the end of your next turn
Illusory
Scorching Burst hits multiple targets
Thunderwave hits multiple targets and pushes, but it is a close blast
Illusory Ambush gives -2 to attacks until the end of your next turn

Missile, Burst, and Cloud are against Reflex, Frost and Thunder against Fort, Illusory Ambush against Will. You could as a human take Scorching Burst, Ray of Frost, and Illusory Ambush in order to target all defenses.

Illusory Ambush doesn't seem especially powerful. Ray of Frost may keep the enemy from having the option of attacking at all, Burst and Thunderwave hit multiple targets, Missile and Cloud deal extra damage.

Vortling
2008-06-16, 10:14 PM
I'm a little disappointed. Many of these powers aren't very illusiony. To see what I mean, assume you don't know the powers are supposed to be illusions and just look at their effects instead of their names. You probably couldn't tell they were supposed to be illusion powers unless you knew that only illusions did psychic damage. Hopefully the psion will be better about having illusionary powers.

FoE
2008-06-16, 10:15 PM
@^: I guess you're right about the flavour. Still, it goes a little way to answering the question of "what happened to the illusionist?"

It's too bad that Enemies Abound doesn't actually cause monsters to attack their allies. But I guess that would make it too powerful. Maybe if it only affected one monster at a time ...?

Phantom Chasm seems very useful, and pretty funny to boot. :smallbiggrin:

"What the ... WHERE'S THE GROUND?!"

Starsinger
2008-06-16, 10:31 PM
While I am excited at the prospect of new content already... My first thought is, "The ******* wizard, of all classes, gets more options."

marjan
2008-06-16, 10:39 PM
While I am excited at the prospect of new content already... My first thought is, "The ******* wizard, of all classes, gets more options."

Exactly my thoughts. Though, I must admit that I didn't expect anything better from a company Wizards Of The Coast.

Goober4473
2008-06-16, 10:42 PM
Does Phantasmal Terrain have a duration? Is it permenant?

MammonAzrael
2008-06-16, 11:06 PM
I'm going to agree with the later posters, I'm missing what makes Illusory Ambush so great. It's undoubtedly useful, but doesn't seem particularly strong when compared to the Wizard's other At-Wills.

Personally, while I'm happy Illusions have been given a little attention, I wish that none of them did damage. I'd think that they would almost all be utility powers, or deal some type of sub-dual damage (though I don't think that's in 4e). Maybe Illusory damage, that heals after a couple rounds, even if something is "dropped" to 0 by it. That may be a house rule I toss in...

And with Phantasmal Terrain, it looks like a 2nd level Wizard can cover the world in Difficult Terrain. :smalltongue: I'm sure they'll amend that soon enough.

I'm also a bit surprised they only made Heroic tier powers...are they saving the paragon and epic tier Illusions for a splat book? If they are, at least now we have a basic idea of what illusions will be like, and can more easily/accurately homebrew our own.

I like the Utility powers the most, since they seem the most illusion-like, and Maze of Mirrors. I hope most of the other powers go in that route, but I doubt it.

Overall, very fun little addition (though really, why'd the Wizard get the first increase? Personally I think the Warlock could've used it for a little less railroady feel). I'm glad they're getting all this content out.

(So far I know of this and the Warforged supplement. Did I miss any yet?)

tyckspoon
2008-06-16, 11:18 PM
Overall, very fun little addition (though really, why'd the Wizard get the first increase? Personally I think the Warlock could've used it for a little less railroady feel). I'm glad they're getting all this content out.

It might have something to do with everybody and their mothers complaining most about how Wizards lost so many options in transitioning to 4E. You know, all those 'No Illusions?? NERD RAGE!!' threads we just went through?

Kabump
2008-06-16, 11:18 PM
Its really good for a controller wizard. What really makes Illusionary Ambush shine is the -2 to hit. A controller's job is well, to control the battle field. Being able to toss a -2 penalty is a pretty big thing, especially if you combine it with a fighter's mark. Its especially useful at lower levels, where even a -2 to hit will make a pretty big difference. For a blaster wizard its not as good no, but IMO a must take for a controller focused.

Starsinger
2008-06-17, 12:32 AM
Its really good for a controller wizard. What really makes Illusionary Ambush shine is the -2 to hit. A controller's job is well, to control the battle field. Being able to toss a -2 penalty is a pretty big thing, especially if you combine it with a fighter's mark. Its especially useful at lower levels, where even a -2 to hit will make a pretty big difference. For a blaster wizard its not as good no, but IMO a must take for a controller focused.

And a Paladin's Divine Challenge, and Enfeebling Strike...

TheOOB
2008-06-17, 12:40 AM
I think we are seeing new wizard powers first because everyone was complaining about how wizards didn't have their illusions.

Anyways, I like the new abilities, they are powerful yes, powerful where I might take them over some of the PHB powers, but not powerful enough where I would always take them, which is about the level they should be at. I'd agree that they aren't as "illusiony" as they could be, but keep in mind a couple of things, first the wizard is the controller who controls by hitting people with lots of energy, more...subtle controllers will come in the future, and second attack abilities must directly harm an enemy in some fashion, utility and rituals cover weird crap like illusions, and as you can see, illusionary wall is a perfect example of a classic illusion effect.

This combined with the warforged article makes for a very good case for D&D insider being worth it if they keep putting out stuff like this.

Starsinger
2008-06-17, 12:44 AM
I think, if illusions are going to do damage, psychic damage is the way to go.

RTGoodman
2008-06-17, 01:08 AM
I can't seem to get the WotC site to load up so I can download the stuff, so can someone just tell me if they remade the X image series (minor image, etc.), and if so tell the basics of them?

Dark Tira
2008-06-17, 01:13 AM
I think, if illusions are going to do damage, psychic damage is the way to go.

Yeah, but it's just weird that they do psychic damage but lack the psychic keyword.

Hzurr
2008-06-17, 01:22 AM
I can't seem to get the WotC site to load up so I can download the stuff, so can someone just tell me if they remade the X image series (minor image, etc.), and if so tell the basics of them?

Nope, not yet. If they do, I assume they'll be rituals.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-17, 06:25 AM
Nope, not yet. If they do, I assume they'll be rituals.

I agree... and they are mostly covered by the rituals in the PHB (Hallucinatory Creature or whatever it is.)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-17, 06:34 AM
Yeah, but it's just weird that they do psychic damage but lack the psychic keyword.

If something deals damage of a kind, it implicitly has the appropriate keyword. It's the trick that lets you pull off the Wintertouched + Lasting Frost + Frost weapon combo.

Mjoellnir
2008-06-17, 07:02 AM

That's not fair, the first new content was an article about warforged with racial feats, racial paragon paths and racial equipment, then an old/new demon prince with cultists and an adventure. I don't play wizards, but I'm happy to see that the illusions are back!:smallamused:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-17, 07:15 AM
And the first class supplement is going to be a martial one. I'll admit them warriors need it, though. Not having a martial destiny is a travesty.

Gypsy0001
2008-06-17, 07:48 AM
Illusions could get grossly overpowered in earlier editions.

I'm glad they've tied things down to specific rules rather than leaving them as touchy-feely as they did previously.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-17, 07:57 AM
Illusions could get grossly overpowered in earlier editions.

I'm glad they've tied things down to specific rules rather than leaving them as touchy-feely as they did previously.

Indeed. Minor and major image were b0rked. Too many orc raiding parties have been singlehandedly slaughtered by a wizard using a Cthulhu lookalike illusion.

technophile
2008-06-17, 08:44 AM
It might have something to do with everybody and their mothers complaining most about how Wizards lost so many options in transitioning to 4E. You know, all those 'No Illusions?? NERD RAGE!!' threads we just went through?
I'd guess the content was in development before 4e even came out, so I doubt it's in response to that.

My guess would actually be that there's only one controller class, vs. two of all the other types, so they're trying to expand wizards' abilities in order to give more controller options.

Frost
2008-06-17, 09:00 AM
I have some things to say about the at-wills of Wizards.

1) If a Wizard's job is to control the battlefield then why is a -2 debuff better control then limiting movement? Seriously, Ray of Frost seriously allows you to juggle opponents hardcore. Not to mention the advantages when you take Lasting Frost and the Rogue takes Wintertouched. Since of course you will be spamming at wills at higher levels, and you need that SA damage.

2) a -2 to hit isn't better at low levels. It's actually equally as good at all levels, because the to hit/Defenses ratio never changes.

3) Cloud of Daggers may be the best at will by a long shot, it certainly does more damage then anyone else's at wills (it does get implement bonus right?) at higher levels, and Customer Service (though, they are Customer Service) basically admitted that Cloud of Daggers area needs to be errataed, they they wouldn't say what to. So if it's an area attack that does more damage then most other characters at wills, that's pretty cool. And it actually controls a bit too.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-17, 09:04 AM
I have some things to say about the at-wills of Wizards.

1) If a Wizard's job is to control the battlefield then why is a -2 debuff better control then limiting movement? Seriously, Ray of Frost seriously allows you to juggle opponents hardcore. Not to mention the advantages when you take Lasting Frost and the Rogue takes Wintertouched. Since of course you will be spamming at wills at higher levels, and you need that SA damage.

2) a -2 to hit isn't better at low levels. It's actually equally as good at all levels, because the to hit/Defenses ratio never changes.

3) Cloud of Daggers may be the best at will by a long shot, it certainly does more damage then anyone else's at wills (it does get implement bonus right?) at higher levels, and Customer Service (though, they are Customer Service) basically admitted that Cloud of Daggers area needs to be errataed, they they wouldn't say what to. So if it's an area attack that does more damage then most other characters at wills, that's pretty cool. And it actually controls a bit too.

A) -2 is huge. Less speed requires the team to cooperate, less AB for the enemy doesn't.

2) It becomes BETTER at high levels. Enemies hit progressively harder as they level, and when you dodge a Touch of Death, you'll be glad about that -2 to attacks Orcus took.

C) Errata would make it MORE powerful. As is, it covers a single square. The only possible errata would be making it a burst, thus transforming it into the best at-will by a long shot. 'Til then, the Ambush is a bit better.

Flickerdart
2008-06-17, 09:05 AM
I'd guess the content was in development before 4e even came out, so I doubt it's in response to that.

My guess would actually be that there's only one controller class, vs. two of all the other types, so they're trying to expand wizards' abilities in order to give more controller options.
Well, if the release Psionics soon, that'll be another controller that actually controls by finesse, and more options for martial classes with the Psychic Warrior. Psionics are supposed to be Core, anyways.

Tengu
2008-06-17, 09:32 AM
Any way for us non-signed up people to see those powers?

Frost
2008-06-17, 09:43 AM
A) -2 is huge. Less speed requires the team to cooperate, less AB for the enemy doesn't.

2) It becomes BETTER at high levels. Enemies hit progressively harder as they level, and when you dodge a Touch of Death, you'll be glad about that -2 to attacks Orcus took.

C) Errata would make it MORE powerful. As is, it covers a single square. The only possible errata would be making it a burst, thus transforming it into the best at-will by a long shot. 'Til then, the Ambush is a bit better.

A) meh, cooperation is pretty much mandatory already, so I don't see the -2 as being better then ray of Frost in any absolute sense, especially since cold damage is pretty much the second best type of damage to deal after radiant thanks to feats.

2) Well, one could also argue that HP (for the players at least) and damage scale in proportion to each other, so that monsters end up doing about the same amount of HP, however I was just pointing out that leveling up doesn't really change the effect -2 to hit has on your chances of being hit.

C) As is, it's arguable, which is why it needs to be errataed. But that was kind of my point, if they meant for Cloud of Daggers to be a AoE greater then one square, it becomes the best at will by far. That was kinda my point.

Inyssius Tor
2008-06-17, 09:47 AM
Pro Tip: DDI has the second-most pathetic login wall I've ever seen. To get past it, append "&authentic=true" to any login-only URL. Like this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080616&authentic=true

Crow
2008-06-17, 01:26 PM
The reason it is so much better than ray of frost is because ray of frost really stops doing you any good once your allies (or the monster) close for melee, which is bound to happen eventually. To say nothing of enemies that have ranged attacks...

Meanwhile, -2 Attack Bonus is HUGE, because there are so few ways to boost AB to begin with, and because it is going to help you during every phase of the battle. Even high-level magical effects mostly require attack rolls. Attack bonus is among the top three mechanics that really matters in 4e. Saying otherwise is like arguing that Monks are better than Batman.

Andras
2008-06-17, 08:47 PM
Pro Tip: DDI has the second-most pathetic login wall I've ever seen. To get past it, append "&authentic=true" to any login-only URL. Like this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080616&authentic=true

Or just scroll down and hit the "Printer-friendly version" link. Not sure how they missed that oversight.

I really dislike how most of these illusion spells are damage-based...I know it's easier to balance with other options, but in my opinion it takes a lot of the effect-level flavor out of it.

Frost
2008-06-17, 08:47 PM
The reason it is so much better than ray of frost is because ray of frost really stops doing you any good once your allies (or the monster) close for melee, which is bound to happen eventually. To say nothing of enemies that have ranged attacks...

Meanwhile, -2 Attack Bonus is HUGE, because there are so few ways to boost AB to begin with, and because it is going to help you during every phase of the battle. Even high-level magical effects mostly require attack rolls. Attack bonus is among the top three mechanics that really matters in 4e. Saying otherwise is like arguing that Monks are better than Batman.

But being able to make attacks is more important then your AB. And Ray of Frost stops that. If you are Ray of Frosting something, then you shouldn't close to melee, not to mention that you can build whole parties with 0-1 characters that enter melee, ever.

Crow
2008-06-17, 09:01 PM
But being able to make attacks is more important then your AB. And Ray of Frost stops that. If you are Ray of Frosting something, then you shouldn't close to melee, not to mention that you can build whole parties with 0-1 characters that enter melee, ever.

Then they can sit back and fire off ranged attacks at you, or they may even have some special abilities that can hurt you from a distance.

Yes, you can make parties where no character needs to close to melee. Do you want to build a party like that every time? Does every person in your group want to sit back and plink at monsters all day? Probably not. You see, this is what bugs me with "theory". It doesn't always take into account how things work out in an "actual" game. Chances are, your group is going to have characters who shine in melee, and they are going to want to do some of that. Chances are, you may run into an enemy that can teleport. Chances are, you are going to run into more enemies than you can keep at bay at one time. There is even that chance you may not control the ground where the battle is fought, and will have fight on the enemy's terms every so often. In most of those situations, -2 AB is going to come out ahead.

Yakk
2008-06-17, 09:33 PM
So, this is my attempt at a less "ooo, I make your mind explode, take damage" Illusionist at-will power:

Illusionary Enemy -- Wizard attack 1
With illusionary tricky, you convince your enemies to attack each other.
At Will + Arcane, Illusion, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Target: One enemy
Attack: Intelligence vs Will
Hit: Target makes a standard melee or ranged attack against another creature.
Sustain: Minor, target makes another attack (save ends).

Andras
2008-06-17, 10:01 PM
So, this is my attempt at a less "ooo, I make your mind explode, take damage" Illusionist at-will power:

Wouldn't that be closer to enchantment?

LoopyZebra
2008-06-17, 10:10 PM

^Agreed.

Also, just a quick thought, the standard attacks of creatures seem to vary widely. An elder dragon would do the same damage as a common bandit to his enemy, while other creatures might do far more (or less). Also, this power would be useless if fighting a single monster in a solo encounter.

marjan
2008-06-17, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't that be closer to enchantment?

That mostly depends on you describe the spell. If your description is that you compel the target to attack someone then it is Enchantment. If the description is that nearby creature suddenly looks like enemy then it is Illusion.

Andras
2008-06-17, 10:48 PM
That mostly depends on you describe the spell. If your description is that you compel the target to attack someone then it is Enchantment. If the description is that nearby creature suddenly looks like enemy then it is Illusion.

I can see where it's coming from, but it strikes me that forcing an attack during your turn isn't really making him think there's an enemy there. If that were the case, I know I'd love to be able to empower my allies in the same manner! A sustain spell to give an ally a free attack a round sounds really good...and if sudden awareness of an enemy suddenly grants one, bam.

Gotta watch that fluff!

If you wanted to keep this in the realm of illusion, I would suggest changing the effect. Maybe have the target be considered flanked by its allies (since he thinks he suddenly has to defend from multiple sources, etc.)...something along those lines. Try making it more like "changing a creature's perspective" than "forcing him to do something because of a perspective change."

FoE
2008-06-18, 02:02 AM
If you wanted to keep this in the realm of illusion, I would suggest changing the effect. Maybe have the target be considered flanked by its allies (since he thinks he suddenly has to defend from multiple sources, etc.)

But Enemies Abound effectively does that, and it does that to every enemy within a 20-square burst. For one turn, every opponent can be treated as an enemy for the purposes of flanking, and it does some damage besides which. Admitedly, it is a Level 7 spell.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-18, 07:21 AM
Isn't the "attack an ally" power a heroic tier Fey-Pact Warlock power... and doesnt it take a standard action to maintain (as well as requiring more <stat> vs will attacks)?

Your enchantment takes a high level warlock power, makes it stronger and gives it to the wizard. :smalltongue:

Yakk
2008-06-18, 01:09 PM
Isn't the "attack an ally" power a heroic tier Fey-Pact Warlock power... and doesnt it take a standard action to maintain (as well as requiring more <stat> vs will attacks)?

Your enchantment takes a high level warlock power, makes it stronger and gives it to the wizard. :smalltongue:

No. The high-level Warlock power stops the target from taking standard actions. It is also a minor action & attack roll to continue, while the power I described the target gets a save every round (and a minor action to continue).

I do think that it is probably to "wonkey" to be used as an at-will power. :-)

Andras
2008-06-18, 04:34 PM
But Enemies Abound effectively does that, and it does that to every enemy within a 20-square burst. For one turn, every opponent can be treated as an enemy for the purposes of flanking, and it does some damage besides which. Admitedly, it is a Level 7 spell.

The actual effect was just what I came up with on the spot. I'm just saying, forcing an action out of someone doesn't sound very illusion-y, whereas tricking them into thinking something isn't the way it is sounds more so. Subtlety counts.

As it stands, there are a couple of clarifications you might consider making. For example, who gets to pick who gets attacked? What are the limitations on the attack? What's the range? Because if I ever played 4E (unlikely), I would highly consider multiclassing from a striker class to take this power, for the sole purpose of casting it on myself and purposely failing all my saves to get free attacks for the slight cost of sustaining a minor action; or if you want to get technical and say personal range is disallowed, casting it on an allied striker and getting him to fail his saves -- because as it stands, there's nothing prohibiting that and nothing defining "ally". RAW issues are rarely a good thing for balance.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-18, 04:59 PM
No. The high-level Warlock power stops the target from taking standard actions. It is also a minor action & attack roll to continue, while the power I described the target gets a save every round (and a minor action to continue).

I do think that it is probably to "wonkey" to be used as an at-will power. :-)

Indeed it is. Imagine an attack from the Tarrasque or Orcus. It'd make it the most powerful at will in the game, by FAR.