PDA

View Full Version : Halfling in the Playground?

Halvormerlinaky
2008-06-17, 01:57 AM
At the time of this writing, my board status is "Halfling in the Playground".

Does anyone find this stupid?

I mean, our Halfling role model is the Belkster, an ass-kicking god of death. Shouldn't Halfling in the Playground be the final step before the omnipotent rank of Giant?

I feel that too much honor has been given to my humble self. Something should be done to rectify this.

Alysar
2008-06-17, 02:00 AM
It goes in order by size

Pixie
Halfling
Dwarf
Barbarian

I don't remember all of them.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-17, 02:00 AM
I think it's because the titles are more related to physical height than anything else.

Hmm...Ninja'd...for what it's worth, there is a post somewhere in Board/Site Issues that spells it out, and Titan is the highest one you can get by posting followed by Firbolg.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-06-17, 02:08 AM
Yes, yes, I get the size progression part of it. But this is Belkar we're talking about!

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-17, 02:11 AM
Yes, yes, I get the size progression part of it. But this is Belkar we're talking about!

Are you implying that all halflings should bask in Belkar's reflected glory by virtue of being the same race as him? By that same logic, all humans should get to go around thinking they're O-Chul.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-17, 02:12 AM
The Belkster isn't your average hobbit. Forum hobbits, on the other hand…

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-17, 02:16 AM
The Belkster isn't your average hobbit. Forum hobbits, on the other hand…

HALFLING!!! Want to get sued?

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-17, 02:55 AM
And now I'm going to be sued by the Tolkien estate. Hey, Belkar, got a job for you…

TigerHunter
2008-06-17, 05:32 AM
Even if we did do this, Halfling is too burned into my mind as second-to-lowest (Ghost doesn't count) to make me remember that it's now equivalent to Firlbog.

Gamerlord
2008-06-17, 03:08 PM
Whats so cool about belkar?

Paladin29
2008-06-17, 03:18 PM
Belkar is funny as the psychotic counterpoint of his good-aligned companions. :smallsmile:

ZipZipskins
2008-06-17, 04:02 PM

As one, you do not exist, Gene Ray.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-17, 07:33 PM
As one, you do not exist, Gene Ray.

Now that's just nonsense. Are you trying to make some sense? I swear on the six-facets of time that I am not, nor ever shall be, a hobbit.

Lupy
2008-06-17, 07:46 PM
Well, Belkar is the exception. See, most hobbits wanted to be respectable and never have any adventures, thus it stands to reason our beloved hobbit rip-offs are the same. Anyone who goes after the Tolkien estate is going through me, Chuck Norris, and O-Chul. Top that.

Castamir
2008-06-18, 02:47 AM
And now I'm going to be sued by the Tolkien estate. Hey, Belkar, got a job for you…

No freaking way. Please, stop spreading misinformation.

You have exactly the same chances for saying "hobbit" as you do for "orc". Both were invented by Tolkien, both based on similar Old English words with a different meaning.
Also, copying the entire race with all details is a lot more than the name alone.

My pet peeve is "mithral". Come on... that's about as bad as "cold iron" being some retarded semi-magical stuff instead of the real mundane iron as opposed to magic.

Fafnir13
2008-06-18, 03:00 AM
Did someone start saying cold iron is magical? Sorry, I tend to be out of the loop.

Obscured
2008-06-19, 06:17 PM

You have exactly the same chances for saying "hobbit" as you do for "orc". Both were invented by Tolkien, both based on similar Old English words with a different meaning.
Also, copying the entire race with all details is a lot more than the name alone.

um... no. You're right in saying that Orc is from an actual pre-existing word in English. Hobbit however is a completely original coining with no intentional relation to any existing word. This fact annoyed Tolkien himself after he combined the worlds of the Hobbit and his Silmarillion cycle while writing The Lord of the Rings (understandably, considering how much stock he put in well thought out etymologies) which led to him to later come up with the etymology "hole builder", however this was made up long after the fact.

So yes, you can get sued by the Tolkien estate for using the word hobbit without permission. Most famously early editions of D&D used hobbit instead of halfling and were threatened with legal action as a result.

An Enemy Spy
2008-06-26, 09:14 PM
how is it you get to halfling anyway?

Logalmier
2008-06-26, 09:32 PM
how is it you get to halfling anyway?

50 posts, then you get to dwarf by 250, then to ogre by getting to 750 posts. (I'm actually not sure, I think they keep changing it...)

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-26, 09:49 PM

orc |ɔrk|

ORIGIN late 16th cent. (denoting an ogre): perhaps from Latin orcus ‘hell’ or Italian orco ‘demon, monster,’ influenced by obsolete orc [ferocious sea creature] and by Old English orcneas [monsters.]

Apparently, Tolkien didn't invent the word. Stop spreading disinformation, Castamir. :smalltongue:

Lord_Drayakir
2008-06-27, 08:21 AM
Now that's just nonsense. Are you trying to make some sense? I swear on the six-facets of time that I am not, nor ever shall be, a hobbit.

A) Kudos on the Time Cube reference. I feel your sanity ebbing away from you.

B) Kudos on the Strong Bad reference.

C) Halflings and hobbits are the same thing, in fact, at one point in the book, when Merry and Pippin are talking to Fangorn, they mention that some people call them halflings.

Ninja
2008-06-27, 08:35 AM
i think you're all drifting from the subject which is something like this: "why the heck ain't Halfling before giant"....
simply because it is measured thru size.... biger creature, higher rank.....

Selene
2008-06-27, 11:05 AM
*posts in order to grow taller*

Even the fiercest halfling can only stab you in the knees without that jumping ring.

Dunesen
2008-06-27, 11:31 AM
At the time of this writing, my board status is "Halfling in the Playground".

Does anyone find this stupid?

I mean, our Halfling role model is the Belkster, an ass-kicking god of death. Shouldn't Halfling in the Playground be the final step before the omnipotent rank of Giant?

I feel that too much honor has been given to my humble self. Something should be done to rectify this.

But you're at Dwarf now, poetically enough.

50 posts, then you get to dwarf by 250, then to ogre by getting to 750 posts. (I'm actually not sure, I think they keep changing it...)

There is a thread on one of the forums that lists the order, but they intentionally keep the numbers both off there. Though you can check the number of posts someone makes at their profile page.

I just made Halfling, by the way. Congrats to me! :smallsmile:

d'Bwobsling
2008-06-27, 11:35 AM
You know, this is hardly an oots related topic