PDA

View Full Version : Power attack and Natural atacks

Cowboy_ninja
2008-06-17, 09:33 PM
two handed weapon = 1.5x str = x2 power attack

so

primary natural attack = 1.5x str = x2 power attack?

Matthew
2008-06-17, 09:48 PM
For which edition? Consider popping a tag [3e] or [4e] on your title if you aren't going to specify in the post. Short answer, in 3e, not as far as I know.

Smiley_
2008-06-17, 09:55 PM
A light weapon and a natural weapon are considered the same for disarming, sundering, and so on. However, these natural weapons have full power attack bonus so it is hard to say.

As for the modifier, it is hard to say. It depends entirely on the strength multiplier for the selected weapon. Take a dragon for example.

claw .5 str modifier. x1 power attack
wing .5 str modifier x1 power attack.
Tail 1.5 str modifier x2 power attack
bite (primary weapon) 1.0 str modifier. x1 power attack.

Primary weapons do not necessarily act as two handed weapons, so the point is moot unless we are talking about a special case, like the dragon's tail.

Nebo_
2008-06-17, 10:05 PM
For which edition? Consider popping a tag [3e] or [4e] on your title if you aren't going to specify in the post. Short answer, in 3e, not as far as I know.

From the question, it's very easy to work out which edition he's talking about.

A light weapon and a natural weapon are considered the same for disarming, sundering, and so on. However, these natural weapons have full power attack bonus so it is hard to say.

As for the modifier, it is hard to say. It depends entirely on the strength multiplier for the selected weapon. Take a dragon for example.

claw .5 str modifier. x1 power attack
wing .5 str modifier x1 power attack.
Tail 1.5 str modifier x2 power attack
bite (primary weapon) 1.0 str modifier. x1 power attack.

Primary weapons do not necessarily act as two handed weapons, so the point is moot unless we are talking about a special case, like the dragon's tail.

All natural weapons use a 1:1 ratio for power attack, regardless of how much strength you apply to the damage.

Matthew
2008-06-17, 10:27 PM
From the question, it's very easy to work out which edition he's talking about.

Only if you're familiar with 4e as well as 3e. I could guess 3e, but I would have to be familiar with 4e to know for sure (and thus whether I was wasting my time). Personally, I don't know how 4e Power Attack works or how it relates to Natural Attacks (or even if the latter exists in 4e).

Cowboy_ninja
2008-06-21, 04:31 PM
i'm talking about 3.5e

more specifically the bite attack gained by a druid in his predator from ( PHBII variant)

hamishspence
2008-06-21, 04:52 PM
not sure how power attack inteacts with monsters that get 1.5 Str for natural attack (usually only one attack: purple worm is an example) I think its still 1:1.