PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds have...balls?

Matuse
2008-06-18, 12:49 AM
...and yet he has the nerve to complain about how us mammals do our mating. Seems like he does the same thing!

Yendor
2008-06-18, 01:24 AM
Nah. It's just that Belkar doesn't know anything about reptilian reproductive anatomy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0177.html).

FoE
2008-06-18, 01:27 AM
Yeah ... but it was the Oracle who wrote it on the sign.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-18, 01:39 AM
Can you blame him for being crass considering how he knew Belkar would kill him? This suggests that he was powerless to prevent Belkar from killing him (on the bright side, he was at least able to get the last laugh by the lookms of it).

FrankNorman
2008-06-18, 01:44 AM
Kobolds could actually be warm-blooded - the Oracle seemed too intelligent for a cold-blooded lifeform.
But then, I seem to recall that not even all mammals have external testicles. And of course birds don't.
But since kobolds are an invented species, anything is possible there.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-18, 01:51 AM
Armadillos definitly don't, and I'm assuming the same anatomy would apply to D&D races. Would being cold-blooded make much of a difference for D&D races in regards to Int, though? Kobolds don't normally have an Int penalty and Gnolls and Lizardfolk get the same -2 penalty

David Argall
2008-06-18, 02:04 AM
All reptiles have balls. They just generally keep them tucked away where unfriendly types can't take advantage of them.

Ramien
2008-06-18, 02:21 AM
More importantly, we know they're orange!

Avilan the Grey
2008-06-18, 08:52 AM
All reptiles have balls. They just generally keep them tucked away where unfriendly types can't take advantage of them.

In fact, the reason we have visible balls is because our bodies are too warm for the sperms to survive.

Paladin29
2008-06-18, 09:36 AM
Despite any anatomy discussion, The Kobold is speaking in metaphors. He, he, I like that kobold, Belkar´ll think twice before give up to his psycotich insticts... :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2008-06-18, 11:02 AM
Hm... it's kinda a hard question. They are reptilins and those have (probably) no testicles, but... they are invented, so no need to be evolutionary correct ^^' Still, he's speaking in lacking metaphor's , he'd better talked about his orange but or so......

Holammer
2008-06-20, 02:31 PM
Well... This is just speculation, I'm pretty sure the D&D manuals doesn't cover the fact whether or not they've got balls. But since they're found in all climates, preferably underground. We can safely assume they have a way to regulate their internal temperature unlike regular lesser reptiles. They'd be faux mammals really. Therefore, they are likely to have their testis in a nifty little bag as well. :smallamused:

Uncle Festy
2008-06-20, 04:25 PM
Darn! This was exactly what I thought when I saw the comic. :smallbiggrin:

Max_Sinister
2008-06-23, 05:37 AM
Well, kobolds also have the concept of second base, even if that makes neither sense.

Ninja
2008-06-23, 07:34 AM
Despite any anatomy discussion, The Kobold is speaking in metaphors. He, he, I like that kobold, Belkar´ll think twice before give up to his psycotich insticts... :smallbiggrin:

ya think? i wouldn't say so, beaing as he has wisdom that is "normaly reserved for lemmings".... he'll just keep kiling more where he can...

puzpuz
2008-06-23, 07:53 AM
Sure they have, I saw it with my own eyes.

Paladin29
2008-06-23, 08:22 AM
ya think? i wouldn't say so, beaing as he has wisdom that is "normaly reserved for lemmings".... he'll just keep kiling more where he can...

He has survival instict too :smalltongue:

stickygoo
2008-06-23, 09:07 AM
Clearly the oracle was refering to his Basketballs. the ones he keeps in the gym locker.

Azazel
2008-06-23, 09:09 AM
Kobolds appear to be reptilian. Allegedly related to dragons...
Being a fictional species we can only speculate as to the nature of the hows and whys of their reproduction by using real world animals as a reference.
Ultimately, this proves fruitless since we can't actually examine a kobold for the final answer (all in the spirit of science of course) so I suppose that in light of their nature, the only reasonable answer is this:
Kobolds have balls if you want them to have. As do dragons... probably...

Chronos
2008-06-23, 11:00 AM
Therefore, they are likely to have their testis in a nifty little bag as well.Only one? I'd think it more likely that they keep both of their testes in the same place.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-23, 06:06 PM
I'd think it more likely that they keep both of their testes in the same place.

Maybe they keep them separate so they'll have a spare in case something happens to the other one.

teratorn
2008-06-23, 06:35 PM
All reptiles have balls.
Some reptile species don't even have males...

Animal genitalia seems to be a recurring theme in this forum. Some rather well known mammals lack external testes. Male elephants are such an example.

In a world where you can mix mammals with birds, and reptiles all is possible. I wonder about owlbears, or duckbunnies...

David Argall
2008-06-23, 06:42 PM
Only one? I'd think it more likely that they keep both of their testes in the same place.

Snakes in particular, but reptiles in general often have a rod on each side because they tend to be build low to the ground and you don't want that dragging right under you. Putting a teste on each side with each one is a definite option.

mockingbyrd7
2008-06-23, 11:39 PM
Sure they have, I saw it with my own eyes.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Alex Warlorn
2008-06-24, 02:14 AM
Belkar, "Must... squish, bug! Must...express one joy in life-~!"

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 02:53 AM
Maybe they are..like...hidden underneath a little flap like alligators?

Khanderas
2008-06-24, 03:10 AM
Yeah. Belkars reaction would problebly to kill kobolds and use their heads to vomit into.

puzpuz
2008-06-24, 05:21 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

I got only one picture... Here, have a look:

Edit: is it legel?

Ninja
2008-06-24, 06:18 AM
He has survival instict too :smalltongue:

i said where he can.... as in : outside of cities, villages and so on... now that he cant piss of roy since he is dead he can kill as much as he wants where he can, w/o the ability to piss off roy...

Yeah. Belkars reaction would problebly to kill kobolds and use their heads to vomit into.

this just made me remember what would happen to Skulsy if he didn't "betray" them.....

Devils_Advocate
2008-06-28, 08:28 PM
Yeah ... but it was the Oracle who wrote it on the sign.
I think that Yendor meant that the oracle knew that Belkar doesn't know anything about reptilian reproductive anatomy, so he chose to instruct Belkar to perform an anatomically impossible act rather than refer to some kobold whatsit whose name Belkar wouldn't recognize, as that part of the sign's meaning would then be lost on him.

That seems plausible to me.

“Personally, I don’t know what you’re complaining about,” Celia said. “At least if you’re a lesbian, you’ll never have to deal with some guy’s junk just sort of… hanging there… even when it’s not being used. The first time I saw a naked human, I thought he’d had some kind of hernia.”

“What, nagakin aren’t like that?” I asked.

“Our boys put their toys away when they’re done playing,” Celia said. “I never even saw my old boyfriend’s stuff. That’s ****ing classy.”
- Tales of MU (http://www.talesofmu.com/story/book01/1)

the_tick_rules
2008-06-28, 10:33 PM
Boy, this thread is intelligent.

Child Conscript
2008-06-28, 10:58 PM

I have a strange feeling that this thread is going to get lock pretty soon. . .

Max_Sinister
2008-06-29, 06:58 PM
Some reptile species don't even have males...

Really? Which ones? How does that work? (Unless you're talking about species threatened by extinction for the lack of males.)

Devin
2008-06-29, 07:05 PM
Really? Which ones? How does that work? (Unless you're talking about species threatened by extinction for the lack of males.)

I don't know much about it, but it's called parthenogenesis. You should look it up on Wikipedia.

Gavin Sage
2008-06-29, 07:24 PM
Mindflayers have balls. One of them gets kicked there in a Drizzt book.

After that I'll buy kobolds anyday. Any clothing wearing humanoid clearly has human-resemblant sexual features. Otherwise Rule 34 would have to invole bestiality too...

Burrito
2008-06-29, 07:40 PM
They have them, but only if the plot requires it. Besides the insult needed to be in a language and dialect Belkar would understand (sophomoric and vulgar).

WarriorTribble
2008-06-29, 07:53 PM
What exactly did the oracle say about his disgust? I get the sense that he was simply saying any non kobold sex is unappealing to him. Kind of like how humans aren't exactly fond of watching Gorillas mate.

mikeejimbo
2008-06-29, 08:02 PM
Also, does the Oracle possess two hemipenes?

teratorn
2008-06-29, 09:02 PM
This thread is derailing fast...

The lizards species I was referring to, the New Mexico Whiptail (Cnemidophorus neomexicanus), use a peculiar kind of parthenogenesis, involving a triploid (or higher) egg and descendents that are clones of the mother. The original female in each strain of these animals was a polyploid hybrid of two or more lizard species. (ok, it sounds weird, basically they produce viable eggs without mating with males, and give rise to clones).

But there are other more common forms of parthenogenesis, where the original chromosome number is restored by fusion between the ovum and the second polar body. Since these have the same genetic makeup, the chromossomes in each pair resulting from this process are identical (so these are not full clones). It happens in reptile groups (Komodo dragons for example) and birds (it is well known in turkeys). Mating is not required. But in these animals this kind of parthenogenesis gives birth only to males (males are zz and females zw). So these animals can not give up on males.

If this form of parthenogenesis occured in humans though, females would give birth to females only (xx).

Pandaren
2008-06-29, 09:05 PM
Mindflayers have balls. One of them gets kicked there in a Drizzt book.

After that I'll buy kobolds anyday. Any clothing wearing humanoid clearly has human-resemblant sexual features. Otherwise Rule 34 would have to invole bestiality too...

MINDFLAYERS are little squid-things that are place in a human, elf, or drow body and infect it, the tentacles grow through the mouth and whatnot.

Unless something else happens, I see no reason they shouldn't have...um.....mcnuggets.

I'm pretty sure kobolds have them too....

GSFB
2008-07-02, 11:51 PM
You are all forgetting the cardinal truth:

Everyone in the comic is a CHARACTER who is actually controlled by either a player or the DM.

Obviously, the DM is injecting his own humor into the dialogue, using a term that he knows the player controlling Belkar will understand and appreciate.

That, and Cheetos may have been involved somehow.

JonahFalcon
2008-07-03, 02:15 AM
I'm still chuckling over that billboard - especially the "Founded: Last Week" and "Pop.: Just Enough". That was great - and the coup de grace, "No, seriously, give 'em good once over". That was low class and high class at the same time.