PDA

View Full Version : Versatile weapon/light shield still versatile?

The New Bruceski
2008-06-18, 05:19 PM
The light shield specifies that the hand can't be used to make attacks (page 214). However, if I had a versatile weapon in the other hand, is there any ruling on whether I could use it 2-handed for a round by giving up the shield bonus, but not need to drop it or something? It's a long shot, I just thought I'd look for official ruling before taking it to the DM.

For example, Round 1 I use a flail and shield. Round 2 the shield is still attached but I stop using it, effectively using the flail 2-handed without the shield for powers or AC. Round 3 I go back to flail/shield.

I don't think this is broken one way or the other, it just gives another option for taking advantage of 2-handed bonuses of things like Reaping Strike.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-18, 05:28 PM
I believe it was determined that a versatile weapon doesn't let you benefit from two handed weapon bonuses.

Holocron Coder
2008-06-18, 06:09 PM
I believe it was determined that a versatile weapon doesn't let you benefit from two handed weapon bonuses.

...I believe versatile's entire point is that it's a 1-handed weapon that you can wield in 2 hands for a small damage bonus. Or are you referring to power-only bonuses?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-18, 06:12 PM
...I believe versatile's entire point is that it's a 1-handed weapon that you can wield in 2 hands for a small damage bonus. Or are you referring to power-only bonuses?

I'm talking about anything that is not the +1 bonus from being versatile. That is, you get the one hander damage bonus from PA, half your STR for reaping strike, etc.

marjan
2008-06-18, 10:14 PM
I'm talking about anything that is not the +1 bonus from being versatile. That is, you get the one hander damage bonus from PA, half your STR for reaping strike, etc.

Source? I wouldn't say it is clear from just reading versatile weapon.

erikun
2008-06-18, 10:17 PM
A light shield says that you can't use your shield hand to make attacks. Holding a versatile weapon in two hands would be using your shield hand to make an attack - seems pretty clear to me.

The New Bruceski
2008-06-18, 10:28 PM
A light shield says that you can't use your shield hand to make attacks. Holding a versatile weapon in two hands would be using your shield hand to make an attack - seems pretty clear to me.

Yeah, I was just curious if there was a way to effectively drop the shield while it was still strapped to the arm. Not using the hand for a weapon while using the shield, but stop using the shield while leaving it attached. It made sense in my head.

clericwithnogod
2008-06-18, 10:47 PM

Do you have a link for that? This post seems to indicate otherwise, at least pending an official ruling:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15980210&postcount=7

"WotC Mearls
Lead Developer, 4e

Re: Versatile
This is not an official answer, but let me give some insight into how versatile is intended to work.

As a rule of thumb when using a versatile weapon, default to giving the player the most beneficial reading of a rule or situation regarding one or two handed use.

So, the fighter would still get his weapon talent, and he could also gain the benefits of reaping strike.

Versatile is intended to let you have your cake and eat it too."

I haven't seen anything official contradicting this (though I may have missed something), and as unofficial sources go, it's hard to beat the credibility of the lead developer...

For the OP, you can't attack with anything you're holding in the hand that you're using for a shield. It seems pretty much locked in that to use your versatile weapon 2-handed when you have a shield, you have to burn the standard action that it costs to stow the shield or drop the shield as a free action.