PDA

View Full Version : I will not be outdone by a zombie halfling barbarian, Help Me!!

Kobold-Bard
2008-06-19, 12:21 AM
I haven`t read all the posts so if this already exists or is in the wrong place sorry.

My DM has said that for the next campaign he will allow anything so long as it follows the rules (no powers that require a divine rank and no lying about a classes capabilities eg saying a wizard can ignore spell failure because he has more arms to try the somantic components with etc). He says he wants to test his DMing capabilities.
This has awoken my inner munchkin and I am determined to take advantage of it.
I think I have found a way for a level 17 character to have the power to cast spells as a 20th level sorcerer and a 20th level cleric, leaing three levels left over to maybe become a barbarian or something, you know just to round it off nicely.

The character I have in mind would be as follows -
-Level 4 Sorcerer who can cast Summon Undead II
-Level 3 Cleric who can rebuke undead (Maybe Wee Jas)
-Level 2 True Necromancer which would give spells per day and spells known as a Sorcerer level 5 and Cleric level 4
-Level 8 Mystic Theurge as at each level it would give a level in one divine casting class and one arcane casting class.
+Since True Necromancer qualifies for both of these I would use it for both and it would essentially give two levels of True Necromancer for every one character level, which in turn counts as two spells per day levels of sorcerer and cleric at each character level.

So by the time I am level 17 I would have the spells of a 20th level sorcerer and 20th level cleric if on my last Theurge level I take True Necromancer as the arcane class and Cleric as the divine class.

Any thoughts would be great as one of the other players says he is going to play a zombie halfling barbarian and I will not be outdone by an undead midget

Chronos
2008-06-19, 12:29 AM
Odd though it may sound, True Necromancer is not a spellcasting class. It advances other classes' spellcasting, but it doesn't actually have any spellcasting of its own. So you can't advance it with Mystic Theurge.

Now, on the other hand, Ur-Priest (Complete Divine) and Sublime Chord (Complete Arcane) do have their own spellcasting. So it is legal to use Mystic Theurge to advance both of those, which could give you 9th level arcane and divine spells.

Kobold-Bard
2008-06-19, 12:55 AM
I think I remember Ur-Priest and the sublime chord but dont they use a seperate limited ur-priest spell list and bardic magic. How would that get to ninth level spells. I have those two books but not with me so any pointers will be great for when I get them out.

Also any other massively overpowered class combinations are appreciated.

Behold_the_Void
2008-06-19, 01:01 AM
Sublime Chord I know goes of the Sorcerer list, I think Ur-Priest is off the Cleric.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-06-19, 01:03 AM
Ur-priests cast any cleric spell except domain spells. They do get much fewer spells per day, but fast progression's always so nice.

Sublime Chords cast any bard spells in addition to any sorcerer/wizard spells. Both classes have access to 9th level spells eventualy, but mixing two classes together can be rather nasty (SC has very steep requirement) but potent nonetheless.

p.s. The zombie halfling barbarian does not have level adjustment (as opposed to LA +0), which means it cannot be played as a player character. A necropolitan halfling barbarian would be more logical choice but hideously underpowered regardless of build.

p.s.2. An illumian druid 2/bard 1/mystic theurge x/green whisperer (or fochlucan lyrist, if you can somehow meet the requirements) y with improved sigil (krau) could work too, I guess.

Ionizer
2008-06-19, 02:42 AM
Play Pun-Pun (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=491801) :biggrin:

Technically you're only level 5? I believe? So use the rest of your levels to do something else.

Or try one of LordofProcrastination's Dirty Tricks:

Behold! (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=491801)
The Perpetual Damage Machine (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-546613)
The Nasty Gentleman (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=563976)

Have fun screwing over your DM.

Nebo_
2008-06-19, 02:59 AM
True Necromancer sucks hard. Don't bother.

If you're going to play a Theurge, make sure you make use of Precocious Apprentice for early entry.

JeminiZero
2008-06-19, 03:00 AM
If you do go down the Mystic Theurge route, I would recommend trying to get your divine/arcane combo to cast off the same stat. E.g. Wizard/Archivist or Sorc/Favored Soul.

Chronos
2008-06-19, 01:05 PM
If you're going to play a Theurge, make sure you make use of Precocious Apprentice for early entry.Or Alternative Source Spell. It's the same cost, one feat, but it allows more versatility in which side you favor and what classes you take when, and still provides a benefit after you start on the PrCs.

A standard Precocious Apprentice early-entry Mystic Theurge build is wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice)/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Cleric PrC 6, giving you casting as a 19th-level cleric and 11th-level wizard. But you have to take the wizard level first, and you can't use this to get Wizard 19 casting.

On the other hand, you could take something like wizard 2/cleric 1 (Alternative Source Spell)/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 10/wizard PrC 6. Or shuffle those first levels around some, or swap the wizard and cleric levels. After 4th level, you then have 2nd level arcane spells the normal way (as a wizard 3), and you can also count those same spells as 2nd level divine spells, thanks to Alternative Source Spell. So you qualify for Mystic Theurge.

You could even combine these tricks, taking Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice)/X 1/Cleric 1 (Alternate Source Spell)/Mystic Theurge 10/etc., where X can be anything (you still need one level of something there, to meet the skill prereqs). This could be more wizard or cleric, or it could be something like Binder. If you eventually take Improved Binding, that'd qualify you to take Anima Mage after you finish Mystic Theurge. So in the end, you'd be casting as a Wizard 18/Cleric 11/Binder 8 (with vestiges chosen as a Binder 10), and you could treat any of your spells as arcane or divine, as you prefer.

Hurlbut
2008-06-19, 04:56 PM
Any thoughts would be great as one of the other players says he is going to play a zombie halfling barbarian and I will not be outdone by an undead midgetExcuse me, but a "zombie" character? And no one stop to think about how it is silly?

Vortling
2008-06-19, 05:22 PM
Excuse me, but a "zombie" character? And no one stop to think about how it is silly?
Nope. We're not too particular about minor details like that. To the OP: Are you entirely wedded to the concept of having both arcane and divine spells. There are other ways to out do raging undead munchkins if not.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-19, 06:00 PM
Zombies can't take class levels because they don't have an Intelligence score.

erikun
2008-06-19, 06:27 PM
You could play as an awakened zombie, or apply the psudo-zombie template from the Necronomicon-splatbook. (Pardon my poor recollection of names.) I still don't see how that would be any good - ooo, 3 turn rage. Big deal.

Moff Chumley
2008-06-19, 07:50 PM
PM Emperor Tippy, I'm sure he'll be glad to inform you how to become the creator of universes by level negative one. And then post it for us, kay? :smallcool: