PDA

View Full Version : Warblade + Soulknife = ???

McClintock
2008-06-19, 02:34 PM
I was thinking of taking the Warblade in my sig and adding levels of soulknife to him. I'm trying for something different and interesting with this character. I had picked out all the feats I was going to take, but I am willing to mix it up. Any opinions on the soulknife? Especially mixed with Warblade?

Vortling
2008-06-19, 04:42 PM
What do you want specifically from the soulknife? If you're looking for interesting Warblade multiclassing, may I suggest Barbarian, Swashbuckler, Factotum, Swordsage + Kung Fu Genius, or if you're really in for the different Beguiler. Soulknife doesn't have a lot going for it. It's class features amount to a magic weapon *shrugs*

SurlySeraph
2008-06-19, 05:17 PM
The soulknife is a very weak class, but if it's what you want than go with it.

McClintock
2008-06-19, 07:16 PM
ok, say I change from Soulknife to swashbuckler.... what advice do you have then?

Risek
2008-06-22, 12:20 PM
One character I currently play is a human Soulknife/Swordsage.....It makes for an amazing sneaky character who deals a huge amount of damage.

AmberVael
2008-06-22, 12:40 PM
ok, say I change from Soulknife to swashbuckler.... what advice do you have then?

What are you looking to gain?
If you want power, there's really no point in leaving the Warblade class.
Otherwise... it really, really depends on what you're aiming for. I can give lots of advice in terms of Swashbuckler/Warblade, but most of it won't apply to you specifically.

Ecalsneerg
2008-06-22, 01:27 PM
Warblade + Soulknife = ToB and Psionics. Stupidly broken and anime and sci-fi and stuff like that, duh. :smallbiggrin: But, in all seriousness, while you'll gain access to that nice feat which lets you recover psionic focus as a swift action, you've multiclassed away from a class which has the class feature of giving bonuses to a magic weapon, and you need those bonuses on it.

But, as Vael asked, what do you want from your multiclass?

Eldariel
2008-06-22, 02:47 PM
Put this way, Soulknife is almost as bad as Monk. Don't do it. Psionics/Warblade though, if you can get your DM make a dual progression class for them, it could be fairly sweet.

Chronicled
2008-06-22, 04:33 PM
Put this way, Soulknife is almost as bad as Monk. Don't do it. Psionics/Warblade though, if you can get your DM make a dual progression class for them, it could be fairly sweet.

Um. Quick correction: Soulknife is worse than Monk.

In fact, it's considered the worst or the second worst class ever (contending with the CW Samurai), depending on who you ask.

McClintock
2008-06-23, 08:01 AM
Hrmmm.. what am I going for? To try to explain this without sounding idiotic....

My group could not even be classified at sub-optimizers. We play what FEELS right, not what is necessarily strongest. My warblade will be the most powerful melee character this group has seen. I was looking for a way to minorly gimp him, without being to obvious.

I've talked with one other guy in the group and we've come to the decision it's a bad idea. So I'm going to go straight warblade, and maybe get the to think about their characters more.

(In all fairness, it's only 2 guys in the group and 1 is SUPER busy, the other is SUPER lazy.)

hamishspence
2008-06-23, 08:14 AM
Regaining powers easily is part of what make the Warblade alarmingly powerful. Possible restriction: it says Swift action, followed by melee attck, or standard action to do nothing (quick flourish)

Ignore the reference to melee attack. Require the standard action to do nothing, every time powers are renewed. Not a huge fix, but helps.

Animefunkmaster
2008-06-23, 08:22 AM
You should still drop exotic weapon prof bastard sword and weapon focus for anything else. I think Swordsage and soulknife (or a few levels in warmind better yet) have more synergy if you still want the soulknife route.