PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a Gish

Holocron Coder
2008-06-19, 02:43 PM
Alright. So, I've seen many threads about Gish-ing before, all with pretty much the same suggestion moving towards essentially the same build. Most of the times this seems to be some of wizard-with-a-sword build.

I need something a bit different. In a nutshell, I want to make a spontaneous-casting melee fighter based around Int.

Yeah, I know that spontaneous casting is the realm of Cha, but I am willing to homebrew a feat to allow Int-casting instead of Cha-casting for it if there's no caster class that fits.

The only other definites are: I would like to keep the character dex-based rather than AC-based (think rogue vs plate fighter). Really, like a swashbuckler that casts the occasional fireball or magic missile. In fact, Swashbuckler may be a good starting class (due to the Int-synergy with a few of the early-on abilties).

But I need suggestions. Lots, really :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: As for stats... 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10

Tokiko Mima
2008-06-19, 05:10 PM
How about a beguiler? It already has Int casting, Bluff, and is excellent at Feinting (If you take Improved Feint it merely costs a swift action to remove your opponents DEX and Dodge bonuses.) You already have your class spell picked for you, and you have the option of taking Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration to enhance your spell book with any spell from one of those two schools you might have missed.

If you go this route, think about adding Rogue into the mix. You'll be doing a ton of extra damage that way. Though honestly, Beguiler is so good that you might be tempted to just stay a full caster rather than gish.

Iku Rex
2008-06-19, 05:13 PM
Level?
Books?

Chronos
2008-06-19, 06:13 PM
The absolute simplest answer is Duskblade. It's an int-based spontaneous caster with full BAB, weapon proficiencies, and a spell-channeling ability that lets you combine spellcasting with melee combat. The biggest downside is that the spellcasting is pretty limited: You get very few spells known, and from a very limited list. The list is, however, pretty well geared towards spells which would be useful to a gish, and they get full caster level.

Solo
2008-06-19, 06:38 PM
Alright. So, I've seen many threads about Gish-ing before, all with pretty much the same suggestion moving towards essentially the same build. Most of the times this seems to be some of wizard-with-a-sword build.

I need something a bit different. In a nutshell, I want to make a spontaneous-casting melee fighter based around Int.

Yeah, I know that spontaneous casting is the realm of Cha, but I am willing to homebrew a feat to allow Int-casting instead of Cha-casting for it if there's no caster class that fits.

The only other definites are: I would like to keep the character dex-based rather than AC-based (think rogue vs plate fighter). Really, like a swashbuckler that casts the occasional fireball or magic missile. In fact, Swashbuckler may be a good starting class (due to the Int-synergy with a few of the early-on abilties).

But I need suggestions. Lots, really :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: As for stats... 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10
Why Int based?

JeminiZero
2008-06-19, 07:35 PM
If you want a spontaneous caster based on Int, you might want to consider Psion as well. No ASF so you can use armor/shield as you can see fit, making it easier to Gish.

Holocron Coder
2008-06-19, 08:44 PM
Books: Any. Level: 14

I just like the fluff that goes along with an int-base.

Come to think of it, I have never looked at the more gish-centric classes you guys mentioned... I'll take a look at those as well.

Solo
2008-06-19, 09:21 PM
It's not Int based, but I have a Battledancing Warbard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=57936) build floating around.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-06-19, 09:27 PM
Grey Elf Swashbuckler/Beguiler/Bladesinger, though Beguiler is severely lacking in Gish-type spells.

Duskblade, like Chronos pointed out, is a good choice. Full BAB and a decent number of spells/day, just pick up Power Attack and Arcane Strike and you've got a melee Gish.

Ranger 2/ Psion (Egoist) 4/ Slayer 10, finish the build with whatever you want. Use the Overwhelming Attack combat style from Dragon magazine, it grants Power Attack at Ranger 2, Improved Sunder at 6, and Great Cleave at 11. Slayer is in the SRD, same as Illithid Slayer but without the requirement to kill one.

Fighter 2/ Psion (Egoist) 6/ Elocater 1/ Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) 10, use a Falchion with Spring Attack, Deep Impact, Power Attack, and use Hustle with Psionic Meditation to use it every round. Start the build with Psychic Warrior 8 if preferred.

There's a classic Sneak Attack/Caster build that goes Rogue 4/ Wizard 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10, applying AT casting to Wizard. Swap in Beguiler, Warlock, or any other primary casting class instead of Wizard, using the feat Spell Hand (CA) or Whisper Gnome (RoS) to meet the Mage Hand prerequisite. You could also start this out Beguiler 2/ Swashbuckler 3.

Rogue 4/ Psion 1/ Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6-10/ Elocater or Slayer, use TWF with the Mind Cripple special ability, with Practiced Manifester (CP) to meet the prerequisites. It would be worth going Tiefling (possibly the +0 LA version (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)) to use Metamorphosis to take the form of a Kelvezu demon (MM2) to gain additional sneak attack dice, amazing stats, and the automatic weapon poison.