PDA

View Full Version : WALL-E: New Pixar Film About Robotic Romance

Leliel
2008-06-19, 05:00 PM
Well, it seems Pixar has done it again: This time, they're making a silent film!

Well, anyway, WALL-E is about the last robot on Earth, the titular character, who is basically a trash-collector who became sapient. During his exploration of the post-environmental-catastrophe planet he "lives" on, he comes across the advanced space probe, EVE, who he quickly falls in love with (it's not hard to see why, given that she's the only other sapient creature he's met in 700 years). Problem is, she isn't sentient; when he meets her, she's just a highly intelligent computer, that's all. What's more, the passengers of the Axiom-the space station that the remnants of humanity live in-have become just as stagnant and unchanging as what is left of Earth. And we all know how well people like that react to change...

It sounds sad, but from what I here, it's good.

Coming out June 27...Be there.

Phase
2008-06-19, 11:40 PM
Yay Pixar!

Definatly seeing this.

Jimorian
2008-06-27, 08:00 AM
Saw the Thursday midnight showing.

Big thumbs up -- very very good.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-06-28, 07:57 AM
Just saw it yesterday. Indeed, very, very good. It has it all, emotions, cleverness, humor, and many messages for kids that is more than the classic "be good to the environnement". The way humans are depicted in this movie is.. just too good of a social critic to pass up.

I didn't knew we had a pool!!

EvilJames
2008-07-02, 02:47 AM
Actually EVE is sentient, just not very emotional (at least not towards Wall-e at first) and is very driven. All the robots that are aboard the Axiom are sentient (with the possible exception of the security robots)

Obrysii
2008-07-02, 07:10 AM
I just saw it yesterday morning.

I think I have a new favorite robot, displacing the classic R2-D2.

I like that he takes off his caterpillar tracks when he goes inside his home, and that scene where he's showing off his eye's movements to a clearly unimpressed EVE was fantastic.

FoE
2008-07-02, 10:52 AM
Seeing a polluted, abandoned Earth was like a slap in the face.

My favourite joke was ...

.. the message about humanity's bones shrinking in micro-gravity. But a quick run around the jogging track should fix that right up!

Also, shopping carts. Oh the shopping carts! :smalltongue:

truemane
2008-07-02, 02:53 PM
My favourite was the astounding range of tones they used for the robots' voices. Especially Eve. Especialyl considering that all they said was one or two words. When she catches Wall-E somewhere he shoudn't be, and she says "WALL-E!" with that indignant and disapproving tone, she sounded so much like my mother did when she caught me getting into something I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Leigh
2008-07-02, 03:51 PM
Pixar has done it again! They can do no wrong - I can't remember the last time I saw a movie by Pixar that I didn't like.
When I saw Wall-E, my friends and I couldn't stop "aww-ing." The whole movie was so cute! And it had a good message - what's going to happen to humans and Earth if things continue the way that they're going.
My top favourite characters were Wall-E [of course], M-O [so cute!], and the broken robot that spazzed out [hilarious!].
Surprisingly, a lot of the people I've talked to (me included) didn't like Eve that much. Her initial attitude was a bit of a downer.

chiasaur11
2008-07-02, 09:20 PM
Disliking Wall-E is scientific proof you do not have a soul.
The John Ratzenburger "B" plot was nice too, and the Wall-Rs were a nice touch. Did anyone else notice how Auto got closer in every picture of the captains? Good way of conveying that information.

Leigh, that is because disliking a Pixar film is impossible. Also: Illegal, immoral, and just plain wrong.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-03, 12:21 AM
When she catches Wall-E somewhere he shoudn't be, and she says "WALL-E!" with that indignant and disapproving tone, she sounded so much like my mother girlfriend did when she caught me getting into something I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Fixed it for ya.

Eve is the the perfect representation of a professionnal woman who cares a lot about her job. That, and she also has tank-grade weaponry.

She worries, she is dedicated, she ignores him when she is angry with Wall-E. She get her priority straights.. she is SO alive! I watched this movie with my girlfriend, and there was so much of her into that little robot (and so much of me into the clumsy Wall-E...)

Glawackus
2008-07-04, 06:38 PM
I want an OotS-style AUTO-tar now.

That ending...
With it seeming for a moment that WALL-E's forgotten everything? God, I thought I was going to start weeping right there.

If this doesn't pull down some Oscars, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-04, 06:44 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone here...it was amazing. :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-07-04, 10:28 PM
What everyone else said. Plus,

Cutest cockcroach EVER!

thubby
2008-07-05, 12:26 AM
words would be insufficient to properly describe the heartwarming goodness of this movie.

WALL-E +fire extinguisher=win

chiasaur11
2008-07-05, 12:50 AM
words would be insufficient to properly describe the heartwarming goodness of this movie.

WALL-E +fire extinguisher=win

I think you mean WALL-E==total win.

thubby
2008-07-05, 12:58 AM
I think you mean WALL-E==total win.

while that is true, within the realm of win that is wall-e there is the particularly winning moment with the fire extinguisher
:P
warning, diagram of text ahead
walle win zone(l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.l.fire extinguisher.l.)

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-07-06, 09:56 PM
It was teh shiznit, awesome-I found it funier me and my friend were laughing harder than his younger(10) brother.

Moose Fisher
2008-07-06, 10:15 PM
I loved WALL-E.
It was entertaining for the kids, and informative for the adults.

AUTO was HAL 9000 through and through. It even had the classic red eye.

How did WALL-E's memory come back in the end? I thought the entire card was swapped out.:smallconfused:

TigerHunter
2008-07-06, 10:16 PM
I loved it. It was adorable, hilarious, and had an excellent plot.

Edit: Oh, my dad simply loved the way Wall-e used the Macintoch start-up sound.

Icewalker
2008-07-07, 12:41 AM
Definitely an amazing movie.

SSBB managed to portray emotion through silent robots, but this was a few steps beyond that. It's really impressive how much character development there was...with no speech...with something that shouldn't be able to convey emotion :smalleek:

Aaawesome movie...

I like the Steward's little auto-salute. The Odyssey music to show the connection between AUTO and Hal. The crazed massage robot just going to town all over the security bots. MO, the overzealous cleaning robot. 'I didn't know we had a pool!'

Also, I want to second something from my friend: I want those wanted pictures as posters.

Also, the voice of AUTO was the speech synthesizer from macs.

Eredo
2008-07-07, 03:44 AM
I've been looking forward to this for a while and from your responses it seems like my wait was worth it! I'll see it asap.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-07-07, 08:35 AM
I loved WALL-E.
It was entertaining for the kids, and informative for the adults.

AUTO was HAL 9000 through and through. It even had the classic red eye.

How did WALL-E's memory come back in the end? I thought the entire card was swapped out.:smallconfused:
That was just some sort of motherboard that had to be switched out; his hard drive was intact. WALL-E's brief memory loss was due to the nasty shocks and unplanned reboots of his system causing some kind of disk corruption; the small shock from EVE's kiss rebooted his memory properly.

Hey, it makes more sense than Superman II.

The J Pizzel
2008-07-07, 08:52 AM
My wife and I have yet to reproduce (but hey, we're working diligently :smallbiggrin:) so we brought ALL the neices and nephews to see it. I must say one thing in the slight un-positive (negative is too hard a word), my little ones didn't laugh near as much as I'd hoped. I think the movie provides a solid amount of physical humor for the kiddies (ie: getting shocked, drilling a hole to hide in, the shopping carts, etc) but many of the jokes we're sort of "implied". Meaning you had to use a good bit of logic and common sense to get them. Don't get me wrong, the movie was frappin fantastic and my wife and I are going to see it agian with another couple soon. I just think that adults will actually grow to like this movie more than kids. I know all the PIXAR films have a good deal of adult humor (hell, that's why we like them so much), WALL-E just seemed to have even more.

All in all - two very big thumbs up.

Favorite part:
When they were in the elevator when EVE was sending WALL-E home and their wanted poster shows up. She blasts the ****t out of it without saying a word and WALL-E start shaking again. God that reminded me of my wife

Icewalker
2008-07-07, 01:59 PM
Also, Presto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X28hjYqBroI).

alexeduardo
2008-07-07, 07:25 PM
My favorite part was actually the credits at the end, if you didn't stay to see them, go see them NOW

Pocketa
2008-07-07, 09:14 PM
@ Ice: Broken link. Also, eh, why should people get dibs on emotion? Unfortunately, the world is so speciocentric (sic) that the world will never really understand other creatures as well as we understand ourselves (which isn't even that well). You can't see if a bird is smiling, but maybe it is, just not with its mouth. Just because your cat doesn't say that it's depressed that the cat next door doesn't like it doesn't mean that it can't express emotion, and the same with a robot. I highly suggest that you read His Dark Materials.

(I'm one of those loonies that believes in psi <kinda hard for me personally not to> and that it travels via electricity, making virtually everything sentient even if undetectable)

Also, if you want a poster, make it yourself. Learn to use Photoshop and take it to a place to get it printed. Usually cheaper, looks better if you make it better, and one-of-a-kind (unless you make extras :P). It takes longer than just going into a store or clicking a button, but it's well worth the effort.

@ booth: I'm part of the School for Social Justice and Ecology, so this was a movie that we'll probably see next year in class for science. We saw Happy Feet, Finding Nemo, Inconvenient Truth, and something about Hurricane Katrina. Go science assemblies!

@a.e.: Pizza tree=Skittles bush

We saw it the night it came out for my sister's birthday. I didn't see this thread for a while (I need to lurk moar) but it's definitely one of my top movies of the year. At least on the top 3.

And I've seen 4.

OOTS_Rules 2
2008-07-07, 09:49 PM
I want an OotS-style AUTO-tar now.

That ending...
With it seeming for a moment that WALL-E's forgotten everything? God, I thought I was going to start weeping right there.

If this doesn't pull down some Oscars, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I agree with the above statements. The movie was the Mother 3 of animated cinema: heartrending under a cute shell.

Kai
2008-07-20, 01:30 AM
A little late to the party here, but I absolutely loved Wall*E. http://www.mysticgate.com/boards/images/smiles/y_love.gif I loved the quirky little personality he had developed and the vast array of emotion conveyed by the robots with such limited dialogue.

My husband bought me a remote control Wall*E for my birthday recently, and I'm thinking that it should be on DVD right in time for Christmas! http://www.mysticgate.com/boards/images/smiles/y_grin.gif

RMS Oceanic
2008-07-21, 06:11 PM
Anybody else find a lot of similarities with Portal?

1. The way B&L stylise their signs, as well as the general look of the Axiom, reminds me of Aperture Science.
2. Auto. Sure, he's meant to be HAL 9000, but he also works as GlaDOS.
3. Presto. Now you're thinking with Portals!

I have two favourite scenes:

1. At the beginning, after WALL-E watches Hello Dolly for the first time, and he goes onto his truck's ramp and slams his lunch box on the ground in frustration. He does it so mechanically that you know he's a robot, but being unable to do anything else to vent his loneliness, he bangs in silence. It really made me think of Luxo Jr.
2. The space dance. Fantastic graphics, Thomas Newman at his best, and the exhiliarating feeling that comes from unfettered flight.