PDA

View Full Version : Counterspelling: Yea or Nay?

Eurus
2008-06-19, 05:58 PM
Pretty much what the title says. I'm looking to try a different style of Wizard - I seem to involuntarily gravitate towards Blasting for some reason, and am rather tired of that - and I'm thinking Abjurer (I wanted something focused on defense, with extra attention to anti-spellcasting, and Abjuration seemed fit the bill nicely). So my question is, is Counterspelling an effective tactic, and if so, any tips on making it work? Starting level is eleven, and I expect it to get into high levels at some point, but any information on lower-level tactics is also appreciated. All core and Completes allowed, as well as the Spell Compendium, though I might buy a new book as well if it has something that can improve my chances... ^_^

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-19, 05:59 PM
No, it is not. At all. It pidgeonholes you brutally, and doesn't even do it's job well.

Crow
2008-06-19, 06:18 PM
I believe a sorcerer with a cantrip from each school, improved counterspell feat, rapid metamagic feat, and heighten spell metamagic can counterspell everything but 9th level spells with 100% efficiency.

Spells like Battlemagic perception and some other spell allow you to counterspell as a free immediate action as well.

It's resource-intensive, and not 100% effective, but fun. You can only counterspell 100% against spells one level lower than you can cast. Anything higher and you need Dispel Magic and it's greater version.

namo
2008-06-19, 09:40 PM
Counterspelling Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1017175)

It is viable. It is better to check with your DM beforehand though : if you only end up fighting non-spellcasters you'll be disappointed.

Eurus
2008-06-19, 11:23 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the answers. ^_^ The link is very nice, plenty of material there.

Crow: Oddly enough, I never thought of a Sorcerer counterspelling build... Hmm, that's very interesting..

namo
2008-06-20, 02:39 AM
Glad to see my work is useful. :smallsmile:

I mention it in the guide, but it is good not to specialize too much : the usual battlefield-controlling conjurations or buffing transmutations are still just as potent. Or you can blast since you like it.

Reinboom
2008-06-20, 02:45 AM
At all.

This reminds me of a story where I rolled a natural 20 on a dispel magic counterspell check against a level 17 wizard who was attempting to teleport away as a level 8 character, then the party beating him to death...
The situation was set up in such a way that the wizard was out his first turn, at the expense of the DM's wife's character a fellow party member getting killed by the wizard for charging ahead. Then the party taking advantage of a round and me deciding that "maybe counterspelling would work this once...".

That was a great "we broke WBL! HAH!" boost.