PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Creature Incarnations: Kobolds

Jarlax
2008-06-20, 12:53 AM
new article here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080620a)

for me this is a great addition, because i am actually running kobolds in my 4e game at the moment and some more 3-5th level kobolds will give them more legs.

Wizards have convinced me. i will be signing up for D&D insider the second its realeased if only for the new spells/classes/monsters that they are churning out each month.

the quality or quantity of this stuff will probably drop off a month or two after it switches to a paid system. but if i can get a hold of even 2 or 3 more epic destinies then the thing has paid for itself.

Tough_Tonka
2008-06-20, 02:03 AM
Yeah I really enjoyed the variety of kobold arch-types the article provided. I also imagine the tactics section will be really helpful for new DMs.

marjan
2008-06-20, 02:15 AM
Only glanced the article, but I love the Kobold Victory Chart. It's hilarious.

FoE
2008-06-20, 02:17 AM
Good tips on building a lair, and there are some great options in this article for kobolds. I really liked the vermin handler. "Well, we got through the traps. Oh no! The kobolds are throwing SCORPIONS at us!" :smalltongue:

The kobold victory chart was hilarious. If I were using kobolds, I might even include a DMPC or two for the sole purpose of getting killed and using the chart. :smallbiggrin:

Abardam
2008-06-20, 02:34 AM
The kobold victory chart was hilarious. If I were using kobolds, I might even include a DMPC or two for the sole purpose of getting killed and using the chart. :smallbiggrin:Build your kobolds right and you won't need to use the DMPC.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-20, 07:37 AM
Yet another win for Dragon Magazine. More kobolds are always welcome. :smallbiggrin:

I really like the Wild Mage and the Chieftan being Medium makes me smile deep evil DM smiles...

I'm not to sure about the Horde, though. It's a swarm of small sized creatures... and the swarm is still small sized. I just picture a ball of kobolds falling all over each other...

Morty
2008-06-20, 08:01 AM
I have to say, I'm impressed. Those kobolds are well-made and can provide for an interesting fight. I can only hope goblins will get equally great stuff.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-20, 01:08 PM
I have to say, I'm impressed. Those kobolds are well-made and can provide for an interesting fight. I can only hope goblins will get equally great stuff.

I agree, an article like this on the goblins would go a long way... some more goblin lurks, maybe some hobgoblin artilery and a brute/solo ... That would work out nicely indeed. :smallsmile:

Recaiden
2008-06-20, 06:28 PM
I'm sure that i saw that kobold victory chart written by someone on the wizards forums. :smallfrown: The highest result was different though. New creature articles is a great thing though.

Indon
2008-06-20, 07:00 PM
Build your kobolds right and you won't need to use the DMPC.

Traps automatically raise the encounter difficulty now - you basically trade out kobolds for kobolds-worth of traps now.

Not to say that clever use of those traps couldn't be effective, but there's kind of an automatic compensation for Tucker-kobolds now.

RTGoodman
2008-06-20, 07:03 PM
I'm sure that i saw that kobold victory chart written by someone on the wizards forums. :smallfrown: The highest result was different though. New creature articles is a great thing though.

Yeah, I'm relatively certain I've seen that chart before, but I don't know where. :smallconfused:

EDIT: Also, now I REALLY want to build a low-level adventure with a Solo Rat Master as the BBEG...

Human Paragon 3
2008-06-20, 11:16 PM
Wonderful article. Great flavor, great creatures, great encounter advice and the victory chart is hilarious. I particularly enjoy the one where the kobold makes a brief victory speech on the corpse of the dead character. If I did this, I would probably have it be unintelligible and high pitched:

Kobold victor: Mwa ma mememem mwa!!!

Kobold masses: MMMYYEEEEE!

Skyserpent
2008-06-20, 11:39 PM
Heh... I'm totally naming my Kobold Chieftan Tucker...

bosssmiley
2008-06-21, 04:41 PM
Like the victory chart. It reminds me a little of the "Pathfinder" Goblins that occasionally do random action-wasting things for inscrutable superstitious reasons, and more than a little of the 'killing one makes it a little harder to kill the others' Kobold/Goblin/Gnome feats the guys at the Gaming Den came up with. :smallamused:

Charity
2008-06-22, 10:33 AM
For some reason I can't see the first page... very annoying.

ImperiousLeader
2008-06-23, 10:10 AM

By the author of the article:

http://mearls.livejournal.com/145866.html