PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Summer Activities

Bronathair
2008-06-20, 10:42 AM
What are your favorite summer activities?

Mine are as follows

Doodling, Jogging, Tanning, Swimming, Hiking around the woods outside of town, Fishing, Hanging out with Friends, Movie seeing.

And now your turns

Player_Zero
2008-06-20, 10:45 AM
Same as every season. Sitting in my room, staring at the computer.

...To be perfectly fair I don't actually do anything else, so it's my only activity, favourite or not.

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-20, 11:00 AM
Drawing, pianoing, needleworking, swimming, exercising, enjoying having the house to myself while those people with "jobs" are away.

Also, internetting. :smalltongue:

reorith
2008-06-20, 11:35 AM
Drawing, pianoing, needleworking, swimming, exercising, enjoying having the house to myself while those people with "jobs" are away.

Also, internetting. :smalltongue:

pianoing and internetting? are those words?

anyway, in the summer, i enjoy grokking, swimming, grand theft canoes, camping, changing my away messages on aim.

SoD
2008-06-20, 11:56 AM
Grokking? Is that a word?

Mölkky, swimming, mucking about with mates, playing (or should I say pianoing and saxophoninh?), drinking, swimming, DnDing (fun for any season!), eating, sleeping ining, staying uping, etcing.

Player_Zero
2008-06-20, 12:16 PM
Mölkky? Is THAT even a word?

KoLing This could go on forever.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-06-20, 12:16 PM
...tanning...

As Jackie Chan once said, "That's bad for you!"

(Admittedly he wasn't talking about tanning, but still...)

I haven't had a summer break in so long I'm not even sure what we're going to do when I take some leave this summer. Maybe go to the beach. But I go to swim, not to lay out. I get bored too quickly just to lie there and do nothing. My wife laughs at me when I put on the SPF 45.

Jae
2008-06-20, 02:03 PM
my summer activities change daily. yesterday then involved saving and feeding a poor rabbit that my friend found in her front yard and then going to the movies and fast food and getting home at ten-ish.

today i plan to hang with my madre because i love her and then hang out at what im now just going to refer to as my second home haha. then movie night then ill probably just stay the night over there.

Player_Zero
2008-06-20, 02:07 PM
my summer activities change daily.

Who could hang a name on you?

...I guess I do maths too. That's also an activity I participate in. Summer maths. For justice.

randman22222
2008-06-20, 02:08 PM
Playing guitar, vidjagames (though this is wearing off FAST.), goign out into the desert (points to You Thread), hanging out with my frien... oh wait, they're all on vacation already, back in the U.S. and where else. HALOing (in The Town, not High Altitude etc.).

Reading and thinking philosophically, planning how I'm gonna make the world a better place, the things a kid hell bent on improving this place does.

EDIT: @^ Ruby Tuesday. Excellent reference to make. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: @V Not the words I'd use. Still, you sound like you're having a better time than me. :smallsigh:

Jae
2008-06-20, 02:11 PM
heh. so im like, excessively free??

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-20, 02:13 PM
Apart from being able to go on longer walks then I am usually in the Winter, I don't have any specific Summer-based activities at all (I usually just do the same sort of thing all the time).

FoE
2008-06-20, 02:18 PM
My summer hobbies include staying inside and avoiding sunlight. The yellow face, it burns us! It keeps us from our Precious!

SoD
2008-06-20, 02:18 PM
Mölkky? Is THAT even a word?

KoLing This could go on forever.

Yes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6lkky). And I'm absolutely awful at it.

Thufir
2008-06-20, 02:59 PM
pianoing and internetting? are those words?

They are now.

I while away the time internetting, DVD watching, barbershop arranging, singing, reading, gaming, walking to the library several miles away (There's a closer one, but the one several miles away is bigger. Also I like walking). Hanging out with friends is also good.

SDF
2008-06-20, 03:19 PM
Who can have lazy summer days when there is science to be done!

Mostly my summer involves school and volunteer work. When not doing that I play and write music... also with less classes in the summer I've found time to write and run a D&D game for my friends. It could take a long, long time to finish with all I've written, and it's bloody epic too.

Penguinsushi
2008-06-20, 03:21 PM
GitP meetups :smallbiggrin:

In addition, I'll go with hiking (often combined with picture-taking), kubb, frisbee & other outdoor games, and cookouts.

~PS

Trog
2008-06-20, 03:24 PM
Sunburning, sweating.... oh favorite summer activities?! :smallconfused: Oh. Hmmm...

Taking kids to the pool, a bit of hiking in the bluffs, hanging out at outdoor coffee shops, biking a bit, barbecuing, taking kids to the park, I like to go camping and canoe-ing but it's a rare thing. Tree climbing. Can't forget that.

Though mainly I am inside in front of a computer. I need to get out more.

potatocubed
2008-06-20, 04:14 PM
Sweating and wishing it was winter. If I've forgotten my hayfever pills you can add sneezing and rubbing my eyes to that list.

I hate summer. :smallannoyed:

SoD
2008-06-20, 04:19 PM
Oh, fool of me to forget, geocaching. Any other fans out there?

randman22222
2008-06-20, 04:26 PM
Oh, fool of me to forget, geocaching. Any other fans out there?

I've heard about this; it sounds incredibly interesting. I really wanna try this out.

EDIT: @V They upgraded from tubes. Now it's a series of trucks and their drivers, on a very complicated truck route. And yeah, what you've said sounds about right, in addition to the weird things I do that make me me.

Zarrexaij
2008-06-20, 05:09 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say my favorite summer activities include sleeping, gaming, lazing around in front of the AC in my room, and Intertubing. :smallwink:

And by Intertubing I mean surfing the 'net, which is a series of tubes.

Player_Zero
2008-06-20, 05:14 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say my favorite summer activities include sleeping, gaming, lazing around in front of the AC in my room, and Intertubing. :smallwink:

And by Intertubing I mean surfing the 'net, which is a series of tubes.

The internet. A series of tubes. The internet is a series of tubes. Tubes. The internet is tubes. Not a big truck. Tubes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZC67wXUTs&feature=related)

Why? Tubes.

...Ahhh... The good ol' days...

Jae
2008-06-20, 05:14 PM
Still, you sound like you're having a better time than me.

well see today was supposed to be a good day and i was excited which i shouldnt have been because I know that expectations=FAILURE
lol no but rly my mom got me rechargeable camera batteries that now dont work because kodak is an evil genius :smallconfused: so i was gonna go all photo but now i cant && my best friend was supposed to call me to wake me up but she didnt and her dumbie phone is off so now im wondering whattheheck she is doing and if i should just go over there

i might actually end up doing hw :smallannoyed: icky.

Oregano
2008-06-20, 05:23 PM
Never use rechargable batteries if you have a half decent camera, they tend to be eaten up after 5 shots or so, useless.

homework suck, luckily I have none this summer as I've finished High School:smallbiggrin:.

I'm probably just going to chill, do my webcomic, play on games and listen to music, there's a lot of good stuff coming out this summer.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-06-20, 10:58 PM
Frisbee, golf, and games, that simple. Three equal parts of those will ensure a good summer for me. A bit of fishing is never bad and my added baseball games are fun. In fact, next year I will be old enough to be able to attend free Red Sox games as one of the plastic bottle collecters. That will be a favorite summer activity. (Now if only they paid me for it too!)

reorith
2008-06-20, 11:53 PM
Frisbee, golf, and games, that simple. Three equal parts of those will ensure a good summer for me. A bit of fishing is never bad and my added baseball games are fun. In fact, next year I will be old enough to be able to attend free Red Sox games as one of the plastic bottle collecters. That will be a favorite summer activity. (Now if only they paid me for it too!)

are you a bad enough dude to try frisbee golf? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbee_Golf)

Jae
2008-06-21, 12:26 AM
I'd have to disagree on the good camera no rechargeable bit. I mean, they're li-ion rechargeable. Made for the camera and w/e, so it shouldn't be too bad at all.
and im sick of paying twenty bucks for two crv3s. :smallconfused: Soon I'll be paying what I did for the camera in batteries alone.

also leaving high school seems scary :smalleek:
lol ill be a junior

wxdruid
2008-06-21, 12:57 AM
When I'm not being lazy and playing all hours on GitP and Enupnion...I like to go bicycle riding. I'm not really much of an outdoors person, summer or winter.

randman22222
2008-06-21, 04:35 AM
I'd have to disagree on the good camera no rechargeable bit. I mean, they're li-ion rechargeable. Made for the camera and w/e, so it shouldn't be too bad at all.
and im sick of paying twenty bucks for two crv3s. :smallconfused: Soon I'll be paying what I did for the camera in batteries alone.

also leaving high school seems scary :smalleek:
lol ill be a junior

Hah! I'll be graduating a year before you! Oh wait... You don't wanna leave high school...

I can't wait for college; I'll be able to start focusing on what I want to learn, and worry a bit less about credit hours in subjects I don't wanna learn.

Actually, I don't trust rechargeables either. They tend to either stop working, or make my camera stop working when I use them.

Oregano
2008-06-21, 12:13 PM
Yer, it's weird leaving school, you're happy that there's less stress and everything's your choice from now on but you don't get to see most of your friends(luckily though we have MSN now and most of us are going to the same college as well).

Batteries are expensive, but if you're going to use rechargeables get loads and carry some with you, otherwise you'll run out too easily. My dad's super-powerful(I don't know the exact specs) can only get five or six shots before he has to change but you can usually get 15 or 16 shots with non-rechargables.

That's what I forgot to say I'd be doing, I'm probably going to end up talking to my friends most of the time and might go out sometime, I'm going on holiay to Ireland as well for three weeks.:smallbiggrin:

Penguinsushi
2008-06-21, 01:22 PM
Batteries are expensive, but if you're going to use rechargeables get loads and carry some with you, otherwise you'll run out too easily. My dad's super-powerful(I don't know the exact specs) can only get five or six shots before he has to change but you can usually get 15 or 16 shots with non-rechargables.

I have to agree with Jae on this one - your point of view is confusing to me. *ESPECIALLY* if you have a nice camera. In fact, most of the nicest cameras will only work with the designated battery pack (without a battery adapter, anyway) and would chew through alkalines like nobody's business.

The Lithium-ion battery pack (retails at $50ish) that came with my Canon 40D will give me 500-800 shots before needing recharging, depending on how much the pop-up flash is used, and how much reviewing/etc is done on the lcd screen. Note that, since my camera is a dslr, i never use any 'live view' function - the large lcd displays on digital cameras are what eat your batteries more than anything. My 4gb CF card will only hold about 250-300 shots (17ish mb raw files), so it's rarely a problem unless i haven't charged it since the last time i went out. Also note that user manuals recommend charging batteries the day of or the day before a major shoot - due to battery leak (which happens with all batteries) - for best performance.

It could be we're talking about two different worlds of rechargable batteries here though (and possibly different interpretations of 'nice camera' as well). If you're talking about ni-cd or nmhd batteries in normal sizes (i.e., AA, AAA) then i have to agree with you. They do well for a while, but the sets my wife has for her kodak point-and-shoot don't last very long at all (maybe 30-40 shots, using live-view), and they leak their power completely over only a couple of days.

I guess the point being, that there is a *major* difference between consumer-grade rechargables you can get at a department store, and the battery packs camera makers produce specifically for their high(er)-end devices. Still, i'm baffled by how any camera could drain a new(ish), fully-charged battery in less than 20, but i'll admit i don't have lots of xp with different battery/camera combos.

oh, and apologies for the verbosity there...someone got me started...

~PS

EDIT: @ Oregano V: Oh yeah...heh...off-topic... ...oops. Guess it really didn't occur to me since i was talking about taking pictures as a favorite summer activity. Oh well.

Oregano
2008-06-21, 01:53 PM
Penguinsushi, I'm not exactly and expert so I don't really know about any of it, I was talking from personal experience it may be that the batteries were really rubbish or defective, but they never seemed to last(in fact I don't even know what type of batteries they were).

I think it may be the lcd screen that drains the batteries now that you mention it but I don't think it gets used that much(if at all). I do have a camcorder/camera somewhere that I have a battery pack for, that seems to last for ages but isn't of that good quality. By the way, you don't have to apologise either, I didn't read anything I could take offence at.

Anyway this is off-topic so this'll probably be my last post on the subject.

Jae
2008-06-21, 02:01 PM
Hah! I'll be graduating a year before you! Oh wait... You don't wanna leave high school...

I can't wait for college; I'll be able to start focusing on what I want to learn, and worry a bit less about credit hours in subjects I don't wanna learn.
Im having fun in high school. Im in no rush. Maybe it's because I don't want to start focusing on what I want to learn? haha I don't know what I want to learn. And I know I probably will end up in this town for awhile longer...me and my friend were going to move in together and go to a JC for awhile. Working, classes, living on my own? Yep, unappealing for me.
I so desperately wish I could leave to the peace corps asap but that isn't really an option.

Yer, it's weird leaving school, you're happy that there's less stress and everything's your choice from now on but you don't get to see most of your friends(luckily though we have MSN now and most of us are going to the same college as well).
That is LESS stress for you?? Choices drive me absolutely mad and further my horrible ask-questions habit. Like, if Im bad now, you should see me when I have to actually...choose things o___O lol I start talking in questions, literally. "What should I do?" "Will that work out?" "WHY CANT I CHOOSEEEEEEE?!"

lol yes that was what I was trying to say penguin. If you're talking about just w/e batteries, of course they wont last long. But even with my regular lithium ion batteries, I get WAYYYYYY more than fifteen shots! I couldnt tell you for sure but if I had to ball park?? Probably around 200 or so. I dont imagine the rechargeable li-ion is going to be worse..and at any rate, I'll have two.

that came with my Canon 40D...
Color me insanely jealous :smalltongue: Canons are amazing.
That's an SLR, right??

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-21, 02:08 PM
When not on vacation :
Sitting in my room. Staring at my pc. Sometimes playing the occasional movie and music on it.
Playing the two tunes I know on my keyboard.
Enjoying it when the house is empty.
When on vacation .
Making a new chain mail.
Make a new larp helmet
Make a new larp shield.
Swimming in the pool ´cause its to hot.

When at camp : Doing camp stuff ya know.
Making a new chain mail or such.

randman22222
2008-06-21, 02:10 PM
Im having fun in high school. Im in no rush. Maybe it's because I don't want to start focusing on what I want to learn? haha I don't know what I want to learn. And I know I probably will end up in this town for awhile longer...me and my friend were going to move in together and go to a JC for awhile. Working, classes, living on my own? Yep, unappealing for me.
I so desperately wish I could leave to the peace corps asap but that isn't really an option.

That is LESS stress for you?? Choices drive me absolutely mad and further my horrible ask-questions habit. Like, if Im bad now, you should see me when I have to actually...choose things o___O lol I start talking in questions, literally. "What should I do?" "Will that work out?" "WHY CANT I CHOOSEEEEEEE?!"

lol yes that was what I was trying to say penguin. If you're talking about just w/e batteries, of course they wont last long. But even with my regular lithium ion batteries, I get WAYYYYYY more than fifteen shots! I couldnt tell you for sure but if I had to ball park?? Probably around 200 or so. I dont imagine the rechargeable li-ion is going to be worse..and at any rate, I'll have two.

Color me insanely jealous :smalltongue: Canons are amazing.
That's an SLR, right??

Out of curiosity, what kind of camera do you use? I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC50. Not bad; a bit dated, but still pretty good I think.

*Directs readers to the You Thread, where I put up some shots of the desert I live near/in, from that camera.*

I want a digital SLR. :smallannoyed:

Oregano
2008-06-21, 02:27 PM

Well, there's less stress because you don't have to do anything more, you don't have to push yourself if you don't want to, it's also good to get to choose your lessons(especially when you get to do things you actually enjoy and want to do), I also think it's better to have a different schedule every day(well it won't be different every day), The best time I've had in school was the last couple of weeks while I was on study leave, I did go in school but I could leave when I wanted, have dinner when I wanted, that was really fun.

However you do get more stress about what you want to do in life and if you choose the wrong thing what will happen, however in the UK you can change courses up to a few weeks in the years if you're not enjoying them and don't want to pursue that in life. You also get people naggging you about certain things(I keep getting told to do Maths and Science in College because I'm an A* candidate for both but I don't want to do them). The best way to avoid the stress of such things though is to choose what you enjoy not what you think will be good for jobs or whatnot, because it may get you a good job but if you can't do it or hate it it's ultimately useless.

That reminds of something I have to do this summer, actually decide what courses to take in college and whether to go to college at all. I'm thinking of taking Film Studies but I keeping getting told not to, ah well.

ooo, talking about Science reminded me of how easy yesterday's exam was, I'd finished the forty minute exam and checked it in about twelve minutes, sorry that's completely offtopic, I just wanted to brag. Wow, this has turned into a rant.:smalleek:

Jae
2008-06-21, 02:41 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of camera do you use? I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC50. Not bad; a bit dated, but still pretty good I think.

*Directs readers to the You Thread, where I put up some shots of the desert I live near/in, from that camera.*
Those pictures were v clear.

I have a Kodak Z812 :smallconfused:
I know what you're thinking! WTH an easyshare is she serious about photo at ALL?!
lol but Im fifteen and on a strict budget so yeah uhm it's part of their new zoom-line.. SLR-styled, 12x zoom, 8.1 mega pixels...eh idk. It's a variogon lens and they arent too bad i guess. I love him already but of course im dreaming of a single-lens reflex.

Well, there's less stress because you don't have to do anything more, you don't have to push yourself if you don't want to, it's also good to get to choose your lessons
Thats more stressful still! lol yeah im wierd. if I dont have to push myself im thinking well when should i push myself and am i getting lazy and fdakfjdhdjfhadfa
see. question-talking :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-21, 02:45 PM
On cameras : I got Cannon. Actually, my mom has one which I can always use as long as I explain how it works to her.:smalltongue:

randman22222
2008-06-21, 02:48 PM
Those pictures were v clear.

I have a Kodak Z812 :smallconfused:
I know what you're thinking! WTH an easyshare is she serious about photo at ALL?!
lol but Im fifteen and on a strict budget so yeah uhm it's part of their new zoom-line.. SLR-styled, 12x zoom, 8.1 mega pixels...eh idk. It's a variogon lens and they arent too bad i guess. I love him already but of course im dreaming of a single-lens reflex.

Thats more stressful still! lol yeah im wierd. if I dont have to push myself im thinking well when should i push myself and am i getting lazy and fdakfjdhdjfhadfa
see. question-talking :smallamused:

"fdakfjdhdjfhadfa"? *Tries to pronounce.* That made me laugh for some reason...

Anyway, you don't get less serious about photography than me. I know some compositional techniques, but nothing about different cameras. I understand f-stop, shutter speed, etc. but I don't know my cameras.

Come to think about it, I don't even know how many Mpixels mine is... :smallconfused:

Penguinsushi
2008-06-21, 04:01 PM
.Color me insanely jealous :smalltongue: Canons are amazing.
That's an SLR, right??

Yeah (40D link (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518570-REG/Canon_1901B017_EOS_40D_SLR_Digital.html)), I got a rather large christmas bonus last year, and that's what I spent it on. It's a bit pricier than the digital rebels (which are decent, less-expensive cameras - the xsi got awesome reviews), but it has some things that i really wanted that they don't. It is an *amazing* camera. ...now i just have about $3500 worth of lenses/accessories i want to get for it... ...but i'm greedy like that.

Anyway, you don't get less serious about photography than me. I know some compositional techniques, but nothing about different cameras. I understand f-stop, shutter speed, etc. but I don't know my cameras.

Come to think about it, I don't even know how many Mpixels mine is... :smallconfused:

You know the important stuff then. MPx and knowing anything about cameras other than the one you have are *way* less important than understanding how exposure works.

Maybe we should start a photo thread? Fun to talk about, but as oregano mentioned, we're derailing.

Back on topic (sort of):

Something *NOT* on my favorite things to do during summer list: Going to weddings. Which is where i'm heading to now. :smallsigh:

~PS

Jae
2008-06-22, 12:27 AM
"fdakfjdhdjfhadfa"? *Tries to pronounce.* That made me laugh for some reason...
SHIKALELELELELEFDKASHFA!!!!!!!!!!
dont make fun of how i talk it isnt niicccccceeeeeeeeee :smallmad:

...now i just have about $3500 worth of lenses/accessories i want to get for it... ...but i'm greedy like that.
ahhh im still insanely jealous!
I need to start saving money.

I vote YESSSSSS to photo thread. fun. and sharing! SHARING IS CARING!

OKAY ON TOPIC THEN:
My summer plans today consisted of having a friend of mine over to just chill and then going down to a neighborhood store to get some stuff for a movie night..where instead we ended up pushing some people in the pool and drinking red bull and walking aruond but basically doing everything besides watching a movie. BUT IT WAS FUN we were going to do it until like midnight but something came up so now im home and i wish i could still be hangggggging outttttttt ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hanging out is fun. and i still cant keep still and its starting to bug me. when I came home my step dad was like uhmm are you alright and i was like yeahyeah im great and that was a pointless story but apparently I tell plenty of those im going to start talking less. IN GENERAL because I talk way too much and TBH i hate half the things I say anyways! so im just going to shut up in general.

ughhhhh caffeine doesnt work well for me. Im feeling sick! also im waiting on a panic attack lol ahh exciting~!

i love days that work out! planning messes up EVERYTHING living clueless is basically the best. im going to stop thinking too. lol WHAT AM I SAYING GRRRRR im going to delete this later but i need to just like afkdhafa idk ramble or something!!!! I dont want to call anyone because Ill SCREAM and my moms trying to sleeeeeeeep and im soooo loudddd. i loveeee to elongateeeeee thingsss. thats what she said.

ah okakokayokayokay im odne.

randman22222
2008-06-22, 04:28 AM
SHIKALELELELELEFDKASHFA!!!!!!!!!!
dont make fun of how i talk it isnt niicccccceeeeeeeeee :smallmad:

ahhh im still insanely jealous!
I need to start saving money.

I vote YESSSSSS to photo thread. fun. and sharing! SHARING IS CARING!

OKAY ON TOPIC THEN:
My summer plans today consisted of having a friend of mine over to just chill and then going down to a neighborhood store to get some stuff for a movie night..where instead we ended up pushing some people in the pool and drinking red bull and walking aruond but basically doing everything besides watching a movie. BUT IT WAS FUN we were going to do it until like midnight but something came up so now im home and i wish i could still be hangggggging outttttttt ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hanging out is fun. and i still cant keep still and its starting to bug me. when I came home my step dad was like uhmm are you alright and i was like yeahyeah im great and that was a pointless story but apparently I tell plenty of those im going to start talking less. IN GENERAL because I talk way too much and TBH i hate half the things I say anyways! so im just going to shut up in general.

ughhhhh caffeine doesnt work well for me. Im feeling sick! also im waiting on a panic attack lol ahh exciting~!

i love days that work out! planning messes up EVERYTHING living clueless is basically the best. im going to stop thinking too. lol WHAT AM I SAYING GRRRRR im going to delete this later but i need to just like afkdhafa idk ramble or something!!!! I dont want to call anyone because Ill SCREAM and my moms trying to sleeeeeeeep and im soooo loudddd. i loveeee to elongateeeeee thingsss. thats what she said.

ah okakokayokayokay im odne.

I wasn't making fun of you with any mean intent, I was jsut making fun of you jokingly. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I go to Des Moines in a couple weeks, and then all over North America, looking at universities. I go up to... Windsor, I think it was in Canada, and West Virginia Uni in Morgantown, and Eastern Kentucky Uni, for reasons I don't understand. (Oh yeah, crappy backup college.)

I was gonna get a job in Des Moines in a farm, for s***s and giggles, but now it's flooded. So nevermind that.

Let's have someone make a photography thread. Maybe the photospammer? (Still just teasing. I don't act mean, btw.)

poleboy
2008-06-23, 02:37 AM
Video games.

If I am outside - usually against my will - I enjoy hackey-sack and eating ice cream.