PDA

View Full Version : [Thread Transferred]

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 12:37 PM
Avatar D20 - Bending Forms Compendium

Related Threads
Bending and Base Classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68630)
Project Main Hub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67493)

Premise
Alright, I'm sure some of us remember the original Forms Compendium thread and all the cool stuff and unorthodox stuff that we did with the bending system over there. Well, this thread has a slightly different purpose. What we want to do here is make what will eventually become a bender's equivalent to a 3e spell list, or a 4e class powers list. I'd like to make a warehouse full of sample forms for a bender to choose from. Simple forms generally, one, two, or three seeds used; with a target level for usage. For example, I'd like at least ten basic forms doable from second to fifth level for each of the bending disciplines. Overambitious? Probably. But so was this whole project. Let's get to it, then, shall we? First the basics.

Creating Forms:
The bending arts are based around fully understanding the possibilities and applications of their respective elements . As such, creative use of the element is important to the application of the art. Using a single seed to make a form is often very useful or powerful in its own right, and can continue to be so at later level by advancing the seed’s effects.

However, in situations when two of the bender’s known seeds are compatible with each other, they can be executed simultaneously or in conjunction with the bender’s other abilities. Doing so uses the bending time of the longest seed and uses the seeds’ combined Bending DCs +4 for each seed past the first. For example, a waterbender could combine her blast with some thrown Ice Shards, dealing her blast damage+2d4 (or more, if the Waterbending check allows for additional shards) as a standard action. The Waterbending DC for this would be 19 (5 for Blast, +10 for the Ice Shards, and +4 for combining them).

The effects of a form do not necessarily have to use the statistics of the component seeds. Because of the amount of description and fluff used in this setting, a form may use the fluff of a seed to do something not even mentioned in the seed's description. However, these forms should be rare and must make use of common sense to ensure that the effect is possible and reasonable.

Form Format
Forms generally have a pretty loose format that looks like this:

Form Name (Target level for usage)
Seed 1 + Seed 2 + any special factors = Bending DC #

Fluff and verbal description of form
Mechanical description of form.

This thread is also for the purpose of critiquing and refining the forms posted. There's a list below of all forms posted, which I'll update as often as possible. Let's get started, then!

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 12:41 PM
Airbender Forms
http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/101/014.jpg\

Levels 1 - 5
Waiting on some kind soul to make something to put here.

Levels 1- 10

Levels 11 - 15

Levels 16 - 20

Epic Forms

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 12:46 PM
Earthbender Forms
http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/101/006.jpg

Levels 1 - 5

Levels 1- 10

Levels 11 - 15

Levels 16 - 20

Epic Forms

Guyr Adamantine
2008-06-20, 12:47 PM
Shall we transfer the suitable seed from my former thread or should all submited material be completely original?

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 12:48 PM
Firebender Forms
http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/101/012.jpg

Levels 1 - 5

Levels 1- 10

Levels 11 - 15

Levels 16 - 20

Epic Forms

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 12:53 PM
Waterbender Forms
http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/101/003.jpg

Levels 1 - 5

Levels 1- 10

Levels 11 - 15

Levels 16 - 20

Epic Forms

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 01:10 PM
Wow. Nice ninja, Guyr. Assuming that this thread isn't transferred to your control, then all forms that are still legal under the current rules revision may be transferred here. I was actually planning to do most of that myself, but I would be very, very happy to accept some help, especially since so many forms used Ice Shards, which has gone under some major revamping lately. The forms from the original thread would simply need to be assigned a target level and then reposted over here, after a quick reading-over.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-06-20, 01:23 PM
Wow. Nice ninja, Guyr. Assuming that this thread isn't transferred to your control, then all forms that are still legal under the current rules revision may be transferred here. I was actually planning to do most of that myself, but I would be very, very happy to accept some help, especially since so many forms used Ice Shards, which has gone under some major revamping lately. The forms from the original thread would simply need to be assigned a target level and then reposted over here, after a quick reading-over.

Like I posted on the Main Thread, I'm no Diva. I'll help the best I can.

I will revise my thread's seeds, correct the math and spelling, then show you them. I will refrain from posting the least likely. (Those who require too much rules stretching)

Eighth_Seraph
2008-06-20, 01:49 PM
Alright, never mind this thread. As you can see by the change in title, Guyr's going to be the one handling the new compendium. As soon as his thread is up, please post all of the forms there.

Until then, it would be very helpful to begin the conversion of the original thread's forms, as well as figuring out the basic Blast combination forms for early levels. Just a suggestion.