PDA

View Full Version : would this work as an ok charcter?

Brother Numsie
2008-06-20, 01:19 PM
as always my mind is racing through the material I keep stored in my brain...
I came up with this idea of a build... it's not optimized but I would like it to work so any suggestions are appreciated...

monk 1 / sorcerer 7 / Celestial Mystic 10 (from BoED)

feats: Ascetic Mage & Force of Personality

as I'm writing this I realised that I don't have the books with me at work so I can't look through them... but would this work as a decent character...?

equipment wise I haven't gone as far as Vest of the Archmagi (Mic)...

Jack_Simth
2008-06-20, 05:10 PM
as always my mind is racing through the material I keep stored in my brain...
I came up with this idea of a build... it's not optimized but I would like it to work so any suggestions are appreciated...

monk 1 / sorcerer 7 / Celestial Mystic 10 (from BoED)

feats: Ascetic Mage & Force of Personality

as I'm writing this I realised that I don't have the books with me at work so I can't look through them... but would this work as a decent character...?

equipment wise I haven't gone as far as Vest of the Archmagi (Mic)...

Let's see...
1) You don't qualify with that build - Celestial Mystic requires 4th level spells, and when you're taking your first level, you've only got 3rd level spells (unless you're using the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement for the Kobold trick with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage or some such).
2) You're losing two caster levels, as a Sorcerer. Be careful with that, it's rather far from optimal, power-wise.
3) I'm guessing the Monk level is just for the Wis to AC and the Improved Unarmed Strike to qualify for Aescetic Mage moving it to Charisma to AC, correct? If so, I'd suggest skipping the Monk level entirely, spending a feat on Improved Unarmed Strike, and picking up a Monk's Belt. That'll fix both 1 (illegal build) and somewhat reduce the impact of 2. If you combine with the Kobold Greater Draconic Rite of Passage trick from the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement (I'd suggest going with the Desert Kobold Racial variant from Unearthed Arcana to power this, rather than a standard Kobold - a Con penalty bites hard) you won't be short a single caster level compared to a pure Sorcerer (just down a few HP).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-06-21, 02:20 AM
Are you going Monk/Sorcerer just to qualify for Celestial Mystic, or are you taking Celestial Mystic because you want to play a Monk/Sorcerer? There are much better ways of building a Monk/Sorcerer, or you have quite a few more options for meeting the requirements for Celestial Mystic.

I always liked Monk 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Enlightened Fist 5/ Master of the East Wind (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/) 10 as a build, it still gets 9th level Sorcerer spells before epic levels and only loses 4 levels of Monk abilities. You could easily replace Master of the East Wind with Celestial Mystic, if that's what you wanted to focus your character toward. I'd play that as a primary melee combatant with spells for buffs and to fill in the areas where melee characters fall short. Take Arcane Strike and cast Wraithstrike to make up for your low BAB.

Brother Numsie
2008-06-21, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the info... as I said, I didn't have the books with me so I wasn't able to access them at work... I see now what the Celestial Mystic is...

Brother Numsie
2008-06-21, 03:22 AM
is the Master of the East wind a full caster PrC?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-06-21, 03:46 AM
is the Master of the East wind a full caster PrC?

It gets full casting and full Monk abilities for all 10 levels, and it gets the Air domain at I think 6th level. Everything else you can get from that link.

Brother Numsie
2008-06-21, 06:16 PM
It gets full casting and full Monk abilities for all 10 levels, and it gets the Air domain at I think 6th level. Everything else you can get from that link.

Thank you very much... I've been looking for a PrC that fits to one of the ongoing campaigns I'm playing and this one fits like glove. Cleric BaB, only good Will save (but that's ok), full caster, monk abilites, familiar (meh, I'll keep it in the proverbial familiar dimension) and Air Domain at level 5 (really nice), HD is ok too (1 step up from Sorc. and 1 step down from Monk).
AND best of all, according to it's description (yes, I bought the Dragon#314 from www.paizo.com), it's primary function is to fight secret societies bent on opening portals to the lower realms.

This by far will be one of my favorite PrC's of the 3.5 system. Also the other 3 PrC's of the South, West and North wind are also really nice. :)