PDA

View Full Version : Magnificent Mansion Numbercrunch Help

Deth Muncher
2008-06-20, 09:24 PM
In the campaign I'm in, a local demi-god has bestowed my party with a mansion. The problem here, though, is that apparently all forms of math ability have completely deserted me, and I'd really appreciate anyone who even has a semblance of math prowess to help out.

The mansion is in accordance with Mordenkain's Magnificent Mansion, as cast by a Lv. 20 caster. I *think* that equals out to be 600 sq. ft. My first attempt at a layout was that there would be a basement of 200 sq.ft., and a ground floor and an upper floor both at 100 sq. ft. I started thinking, though, that that wouldn't exactly work due to having to figure in ceiling heights and such...gah. Brain melt.

If it helps at all, the proposed functions of the levels are as follows:

Basement: Training area/Fight Club (but we don't talk about that)

Ground Floor: Entrance foyer, dining hall, library, living room

1st/2nd Floor (depending on where you live): Bedrooms and Alchemy Lab

Crow
2008-06-20, 09:27 PM
Well you don't have to worry about ceiling hights, because then you would be thinking about cubic feet, and not square feet. Something you should keep in mind though, is that 600 square feet is only about the size of a small apartment.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-20, 09:30 PM
Actually Crow...you're entirely right on the dimensions there. That IS tiny. How is an Epic Caster only capable of making an apartment, yet calling it a Mansion? A Magnificent one at that?

Emperor Tippy
2008-06-20, 09:41 PM
Because you are messing up the numbers. It's three 10-foot cubes per level. You get 60 of those cubes at CL 20. A 20x20x10 room takes up four of those cubes. You can get 15 of those 20x20x10 rooms.

Each 10-foot cube covers 100 square feet. So 60 of them is 6,000 square feet.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-20, 09:51 PM
Because you are messing up the numbers. It's three 10-foot cubes per level. You get 60 of those cubes at CL 20. A 20x20x10 room takes up four of those cubes. You can get 15 of those 20x20x10 rooms.

Aha! I should've guessed no one less than the master of all "Magicks Moste Epick" should be able to point out where I went wrong. Thank you sir.

But, wait. O_O

That's SO much more room than I originally planned on. Do you have any suggestions as to what to fill the extra space with? And no, no hookers.

Collin152
2008-06-20, 10:19 PM
Aha! I should've guessed no one less than the master of all "Magicks Moste Epick" should be able to point out where I went wrong. Thank you sir.

But, wait. O_O

That's SO much more room than I originally planned on. Do you have any suggestions as to what to fill the extra space with? And no, no hookers.

Morphic wings.
Shifting to suit the needs and desires of the occupants of the mansion.
Could be an assembly hall one moment, could be many guest chambers the next.

UglyPanda
2008-06-20, 11:05 PM
Stealing ideas from clue: Study, Hall, Lounge, Library, Billiard Room, Dining Room, Conservatory, Ballroom, Kitchen.

Other ideas: Pantry, Bar, Solarium, Area for Animal Companions and/or Familiars, Game Room.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 01:41 AM
Morphic wings.
Shifting to suit the needs and desires of the occupants of the mansion.
Could be an assembly hall one moment, could be many guest chambers the next.

My. God. That's not a bad idea. I'll have to pitch that.

Also, as a hopefully helpful tidibit, here's the PCs!

Myself, a Sorceror
Another Sorceror
A Half-Dragon Fighter

Plus various NPCs, of course. But yeah. I mean, us magicky types are covered with the libraries and alchemy lab and jank, and the Fightclub/Basement should appeal to the half-dragon, but what ELSE can we have?

Ionizer
2008-06-21, 03:53 AM
You said no hookers, but that doesn't mean each PC can't have his own Little "Love Shack," complete with mirrors on the ceiling and permanent Ghost Sounds playing Barry White music. Add in a constant Prestidigitation effects to make the room smell like roses and make certain bodily fluids taste like chocolate and you'll have ladies throwing themselves at your magical House 'o' Love. Hell you can even use True Strike spells to give you an edge in your exploits, or play some kinky games with Ring Gates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ringGates). If you're into that kind of thing, an animated whip and a Rope of Entanglement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ropeofEntanglement) might be right up your alley.

You know, or you can be boring and have it be a base of operations and training ground...

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 12:20 PM
You said no hookers, but that doesn't mean each PC can't have his own Little "Love Shack," complete with mirrors on the ceiling and permanent Ghost Sounds playing Barry White music. Add in a constant Prestidigitation effects to make the room smell like roses and make certain bodily fluids taste like chocolate and you'll have ladies throwing themselves at your magical House 'o' Love. Hell you can even use True Strike spells to give you an edge in your exploits, or play some kinky games with Ring Gates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ringGates). If you're into that kind of thing, an animated whip and a Rope of Entanglement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ropeofEntanglement) might be right up your alley.

You know, or you can be boring and have it be a base of operations and training ground...

xD

::falls over, dies::

You know, if the demigod who gave us this house was anything but LG, I'd go with this one right away. As it stands though...might be cause for some smiting.

And hey, as an added benefit, doesn't making this our Batcave give us bonuses on our Leadership scores?

Revanmal
2008-06-21, 01:50 PM
If you take the leadership feat, you can use the extra space for followers and shrines to yourself.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 02:06 PM
If you take the leadership feat, you can use the extra space for followers and shrines to yourself.

A shrine actually isn't a bad idea...

Lets see. If I've got me, the other Sorc, our .5Gold Dragon Fighter, his brother, our Hulk and my minion, that's 6 rooms, probbably all moderately sized. Throw in a shrine to the demigod who gave us this house...hm. Also, as a question for a training area: Is there some way to make walls immune to magic? Like, it just fizzles if it hits the wall? Perhaps I can coat the walls in Antimagic Fields or something?

Revanmal
2008-06-21, 02:16 PM
I don't think magic bounces off walls of force. It should function quite well unless you use a disintegrate or something.

AmberVael
2008-06-21, 02:24 PM
Not sure how much this will help, but recently I designed a little place for one of my games.
Moonlit Manor. (http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/Other/ManorMap.png)
Perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 02:51 PM
I don't think magic bounces off walls of force. It should function quite well unless you use a disintegrate or something.

Awesome! We should probbably have those Permanancied on every wall/roof/floor.

And lets see. Lets start calculating. Figure we have 60 ten foot cubes. Take 2 of those to be the Fightclub/basement. Hell, we could even give each party member a cube, taking off 6 more., leaving us with 52 cubes. Figure again that we've got an entrance foyer (1 cube), a dining hall (lets go lavish and make it 2 cubes), a kitchen/pantry/larder (again, lets say 2 cubes), a library (lets say 1 cube), and an alchemy lab (2 or 3 cubes?), as well as the shrine to our Demigod (lets go 1 cube). That's still only 18 cubes used, leaving us with 42 cubes free. Why, with that much space, I could make abundant numbers of guest rooms, and put every local tavern and inn out of business. I could rent areas out to local merchants. DEAR GOD the possibilities.

I'm almost tempted to do something a la "Arc The Lad" for those of you who know it, and do like that one temple in the desert with something like 50 levels of basement.

Edit: Also, figure in we have 40 Half-Visible Servants. Well, 39, as one of them constantly mans the door. Other than having them cook and tend to people who get bloodied in the Fight Club, what do we do with them?

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 02:54 PM
Not sure how much this will help, but recently I designed a little place for one of my games.
Moonlit Manor. (http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/Other/ManorMap.png)
Perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

In fact it does. And also, it raises the idea of having stairwells be their own cubes. Or maybe half cubes...

turkishproverb
2008-06-21, 03:20 PM
Awesome! We should probbably have those Permanancied on every wall/roof/floor.

And lets see. Lets start calculating. Figure we have 60 ten foot cubes. Take 2 of those to be the Fightclub/basement. Hell, we could even give each party member a cube, taking off 6 more., leaving us with 52 cubes. Figure again that we've got an entrance foyer (1 cube), a dining hall (lets go lavish and make it 2 cubes), a kitchen/pantry/larder (again, lets say 2 cubes), a library (lets say 1 cube), and an alchemy lab (2 or 3 cubes?), as well as the shrine to our Demigod (lets go 1 cube). That's still only 18 cubes used, leaving us with 42 cubes free. Why, with that much space, I could make abundant numbers of guest rooms, and put every local tavern and inn out of business. I could rent areas out to local merchants. DEAR GOD the possibilities.

I'm almost tempted to do something a la "Arc The Lad" for those of you who know it, and do like that one temple in the desert with something like 50 levels of basement.

Edit: Also, figure in we have 40 Half-Visible Servants. Well, 39, as one of them constantly mans the door. Other than having them cook and tend to people who get bloodied in the Fight Club, what do we do with them?

I'd probably increase the library to at least 2 cubes in case your people start finding or collecting scrolls/books/etc. Might increase the fight club's area too.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 03:29 PM
I'd probably increase the library to at least 2 cubes in case your people start finding or collecting scrolls/books/etc. Might increase the fight club's area too.

Good points. And honestly, back before we really had an idea of how it would look, he just said that everyone who showed up was crowding the downstairs. Maybe if I made the basement huge, and had a little waiting room/recuperation room tacked onto the end of it...

And yeah, the library is probbably gonna need to be bigger. We've got the other sorceror questing for godhood (despite us being level 9) so he's probbably gonna wrack up all sorts of books.

Worira
2008-06-21, 09:13 PM

Uh, not unless you have 1-foot high rooms.

Townopolis
2008-06-21, 10:35 PM
Uh, not unless you have 1-foot high rooms.

a 10' cube is 1,000 cubic feet.

a 10'x10'x10' room has 100 square feet of floor and 10' walls.

[snipped to be a bit less snippy]

Worira
2008-06-21, 10:48 PM
Ah, sorry, I was reading it as 10 cubic feet a level.

turkishproverb
2008-06-21, 11:58 PM
Good points. And honestly, back before we really had an idea of how it would look, he just said that everyone who showed up was crowding the downstairs. Maybe if I made the basement huge, and had a little waiting room/recuperation room tacked onto the end of it...

And yeah, the library is probbably gonna need to be bigger. We've got the other sorceror questing for godhood (despite us being level 9) so he's probbably gonna wrack up all sorts of books.

Might add a Reliquary/Museum/trophy room as well.

Deth Muncher
2008-06-22, 01:13 AM
As it turns out, I have less room in the house than I thought. There's literally enough room for the party's bedrooms, the foyer, dining/kitchen, fightclub and secret sub-basement. I may have to try to get more room added on later.