PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spells!

Kizara
2008-06-20, 09:59 PM
Yes, it's that time again. Also, there are no alignment or monk threads, so that's a problem that another will have to correct. :)

ANNNNYWAYS, what are your top 5 favorite spells? Not necessarily powerful, but spells you think really pwn, are cool, love to use and just speak to you.

Here's mine to start things off:

5) Prestigidation: So many uses. My campaigns often feature people using rods of at-will prestigidation for things like make-up and cleaning.

4) Blade of Blood. So handy, such a nice little spell for an offensive boost.

3) Righteous Might. Power of the gods within my blood flows! It indeed feels like hitting God's Strength and reaping into people with the ownage.

2) Comet Fall. Yes, its a bit situational and not that great for a 6th-level spell. BUT DAMN IS IT COOL! Also, one of the best spells for directly nuking a building. You can't really 'blow up' a tower with a fireball, but you CAN with cometfall!

1) Prismatic Ray/Spray. So fun, so bloody powerful. Feels like setting off a chain frost: sure, its a bit random, but its most likely going to end up with them dead.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting or neglecting, so share yours!

Archetype-
2008-06-21, 02:37 AM
Also, there are no alignment or monk threads, so that's a problem that another will have to correct.

I thank you for mentioning that, but I'll pass for now. I tend to leave alignment for roleplaying only, and monks.... Let's just say that I've developed a small reputation for killing monks (a.k.a., the Commissar's Target Practice) by using only one rulebook-builds (mostly Clerics). Anywho, to the topic at hand.

5. Apocalypse from the Sky – Sure, it's got a crappy range and a hefty casting cost. Hey, guess what? That's the reason we have Clerics. The ultimate non-epic way to lay waste to whole cities. “Hey, Pally! Can I borrow that Shield of Prator? Kind of important. Thanks.” Then one casting of Greater Restoration from a Cleric cohort and the ass-kicking of some random twerps alongside said cohort later, all that's left is to snag another material component and we're ready to devastate another heavily-populated area.

4. Transmute Rock to Lava – How to cook a Dwarven Defender: First, force him into his defensive stance. Not hard to do. Second step, put a nice Forcecage or similarly cramped spell to trap him in one place. Third, preheat the earth below him to between 800 and 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. You might need to do this a second time if he somehow sidesteps the lava. Finally, relocate to a position downwind to watch your tin can cook. Dwarves tend to smell when they fry. Also potentially handy for outhouse-related pranks.

3. Divine Power – I am God's Wrath incarnate... bitches.

2. Cometfall – Alpha Battery, this is Spectre Eye. Firing coordinates 038-23-51 North, range three-zero-zero feet, adjust for wind. Bring down the thunder. <sees comet hit the dragon in the face> Not what I expected, but that'll do nicely. Dibs on the cloak.

1. Delayed Blast Fireball I set them up the bomb. They are on the way to destruction. Place a few down during a Time Stop and then teleport away right before real time resumes. Laugh as the surviving victims (if any) wonder how the hell you got four fireballs off.

Yes, I'm well aware that three of the spells I listed deal fire damage. I'm well aware that everyone and their mother's mother eventually get heaps of fire resistance or immunity. I'm a pyro who likes to watch stuff burn. It's amazing I haven't rolled up a pyro-blaster in all my half a decade of D&D. Praise Sandstorm.

You know, Kizara, if you had said list your top ten favorite spells, I'd include a couple other nice utility spells and... more fire spells. :smalltongue:

-Archetype

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-21, 02:43 AM
1. Mass Heal.
2. Regenerate.
3. Mage's Magnificent Mansion.
4. Greater Teleport.
5. Prestigitation.

Bayar
2008-06-21, 03:43 AM
5. Launch Bolt
4. Alter self
3. Polymorph (with polimorph any object and draconic polymorph included)
2. Shapechange
1. Prestidigitation (It is always a better idea to create some green fumes forming into skulls around your head. It intimidates the opponents :smallbiggrin:)

Dhavaer
2008-06-21, 03:54 AM
Prestidigitation, magnificent mansion, whirlwind of teeth, power device and telekinesis.

Thrud
2008-06-21, 04:00 AM
1)Prestidigitation
2)Leomunds secure shelter
3)invisibility
4)sleep
5)Evards Black Tentacles

What can I say, I like lower level play.

mostlyharmful
2008-06-21, 04:06 AM
1 Shapechange
2 Limited Wish
3 The whole shadow line
4 Prestidigitation
5 Contingency

I just like the idea of versatility in my magic.

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-21, 04:32 AM
5: Dimensional Jumper: I've recently fallen in love with this spell. Swift action to cast, and you spend the rest of the battle (or at least, rounds equal to your CL) popping around the battlefield, unlike mere mortal meatshields, who have to run everywhere, accumulating AoOs.

4: Lightning Leap: Ever wanted to get from one end of an enemy-crowded hallway to the other? Turn into a lightning bolt and zip down the hall, lighting up mobs along the way. Stylish.

3: Animate Object: Someone annoys you? Animate some brooms/wagons/houses and go all Fantasia on their asses.

2: Reverse Gravity: A real crowd-pleaser, even if a simple fly spell renders this null and void. Send your enemies into the stratosphere, then let 'em drop all the way back down to earth.

1: Armageddon: A hole opens up in the sky and your holy army begins pouring out onto the field. Ever wondered if you pissed God off? This is a good hint.

JackMage666
2008-06-21, 04:50 AM
I only have 1. Baleful Polymorph. Honestly, what's cooler than turning the BBEG into a puppy? Also, it's relatively balanced. Comparatively.

Trizap
2008-06-21, 01:21 PM
Presitidigition
Shapechange
Limited Wish
Timestop
Sleep

Callos_DeTerran
2008-06-21, 01:22 PM
Apocalypse from the Sky and not just because it has the coolest name ever. I find it some what irritating though at the type in the spell though. Focus people, not component, you only need one artifact to lay waste to cities. (And I'm pretty sure the range is 100 ft radius/level but I admit I could be wrong on that).

Cometfall This...also doesn't really need explanation does it? I mean...you drop a comet on somebody. I love doing stuff like that, I really do.

Clutch of Orcus. Okay any spell that after it kills your opponent makes their smoking heart appear in your hand is simply the coolest thing SINCE AftS. That it's named for Orcus is it's only downside in my mind.

I can't remember the name of it...but there was a spell that buried somebody up to their neck in sand...All I know is that it is made of win...especially if you follow up by summoning dire vultures to feast on their heads ot Clutch of Orcus them.

Serpent Storm, excellent for those pesky soft-skinned serpent haters.

Worira
2008-06-21, 01:45 PM
2: Reverse Gravity: A real crowd-pleaser, even if a simple fly spell renders this null and void. Send your enemies into the stratosphere, then let 'em drop all the way back down to earth.

If the stratosphere is 60-100 feet up, sure.

AmberVael
2008-06-21, 01:53 PM
Lightning Leap: Dyslexicfaser gave the main reason, but try combining this with Sculpt Spell (120ft line). Goooood stuff. ^-^

Arcane Fusion/Greater Arcane Fusion: Because casting two spells with one spell slot and one action is fun.

Storm Rage: Wind wall, flight, and the ability to shoot lightning from your eyes. What more could you want?

Stick: Because gluing things together is funny. Really, take this spell, run into a friend's tent while they're sleeping, and cast it on everything in sight. Watch them freak the next morning when they see the Katamari you made from their belongings.

Crystalline Memories: Because stealing thoughts by wrenching crystals out of people's heads is just evilly awesome.

Lady Tialait
2008-06-21, 02:02 PM
1. Blades of Fire not for making my swords on fire, but on crossbow bolts, for my next favorite spell
2. Launch Bolt I swear I didn't shoot you with a flaming crossbow bolt...look I don't even own a crossbow why would I have the bolts?
3. Detect Magic I dip warlock for this, and the ability to not have to worry about running out of magic. Plus, I loooove checking every room for magic..annoyingly..I wonder why i'm always the DM...
4. Magic Missile it doesn't miss, that is awesome. I love that...
5. Disrupt Undead specialized, but I like the effect, and the flavor of the existence of this spell. I love it a lot.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-06-21, 02:04 PM
Thunderlance (Spell Compendium): Nothing bad here. 3d6 Force damage, no save, no SR, no miss chance for incorporeal, free action to make it 5ft or 20 ft long, attack and damage is based on primary spellcasting stat instead of STR or DEX. A great spell for any mage. Gets wonderfully awesome as a Sorcerer/Jade Phoenix Mage with Arcane Channeling ability and the Arcane Strike feat. (Edit) Oh, and the other awesome. It can dispel some force effects.

Arcane Fusion: Put any 4th level spell and a 1st level spell together in the same standard action? Ummm, yeah. I'll take that.

Prestidigitation (Seems a well known fav)

Reduce Person - Would not believe how often this comes in handy.

All of the "Orb of (x)" spells.

Fly (in case if you do not already have winged ones)

Zanatos777
2008-06-21, 02:07 PM
Sound Lance: I love the picture and does good damage.
Celerity: no explanation needed.
Fly:seriously? Totally awesome.
Wall of Stone: do I need to elaborate?
Greater Teleport: I hate having to walk across the world to get somewhere.

One of my friends fell in love with Cometfall also. He knocked a neogi ship out of the sky with it. Stupid comets.

Collin152
2008-06-21, 03:47 PM
1. Mindrape. Do you need explanation?
2. Suggestion, Mass. Do you need explanation?
3. Geas. I like making people do favors for me.
4. Charm Monster. I like making new friends.
5. Suggestion. Not as good as mass, but damn, it's still awesome.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-21, 03:56 PM
1. Avasculate- Whats not to love....
2. Orb of Sound- Really sonic damage in general, whats better then damaging people through the use of resonant frequency?
3. Fireball-its a classic
4. Vitrolic Sphere- Like fireball, but more fun

Chronos
2008-06-21, 04:38 PM
1: Prestidigitation. Man, that spell can do anything some restrictions apply. void where prohibited.

2: Shrink Item. Throw boulders at people! Get annoying obstacles out of your way! Carry a grand piano around in your back pocket! So many uses.

3: Wall of Stone. Build pretty much anything you want out of stone, and it lasts forever, no ifs, ands, or buts.

4: Reverse Gravity. It's not much use in a fight, but oh, the things you can do with this and a few ranks in Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering (or better yet, Knowledge: the Planes, but that might require an epic skill check).

5: Silent Image. Well, all of the Image spells, really, but Silent gets the place of honor because it's so easy to cast. Who needs to be able to do everything, when you can make people think you can do everything?

Archetype-
2008-06-21, 04:39 PM
I find it some what irritating though at the type in the spell though. Focus people, not component, you only need one artifact to lay waste to cities. (And I'm pretty sure the range is 100 ft radius/level but I admit I could be wrong on that).

That's odd. Looking my my BoVD, it lists that the artifact is a material component and not a focus. The area of effect is listed as having a radius of ten miles per caster level. You're looking at something like... a 340-mile wide circle of devastation. Was this updated since BoVD?

Clutch of Orcus. Okay any spell that after it kills your opponent makes their smoking heart appear in your hand is simply the coolest thing SINCE AftS. That it's named for Orcus is it's only downside in my mind.

<blinks> I suddenly have an urge to recreate a certain scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I'd definitely swap out Orcus for something else.

Honestly, what's cooler than turning the BBEG into a puppy?

Dropping a comet on them. I mean, honestly. Who drops a comet?

Storm Rage: Wind wall, flight, and the ability to shoot lightning from your eyes. What more could you want?

A +1 Throwing Returning Thundering Shocking Burst Warhammer of Impact, a chariot pulled by a pair of beefed up and buffed up celestial goats, and for the spell to play this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UbViuK4fY). That's all. Oh, and a quick renaming.

1. Mindrape. Do you need explanation?
2. Suggestion, Mass. Do you need explanation?
3. Geas. I like making people do favors for me.
4. Charm Monster. I like making new friends.
5. Suggestion. Not as good as mass, but damn, it's still awesome.

No offense intended, but I think you need your head examined good sir.

-Archetype

Collin152
2008-06-21, 04:45 PM
No offense intended, but I think you need your head examined good sir.

I'll examine your head!
Mindrape!

Deth Muncher
2008-06-21, 04:56 PM
I'll examine your head!
Mindrape!

Or rape it, apparently. Or suggest he examine his own head. And then make him your friend!

hamishspence
2008-06-21, 05:00 PM
One of the villains in Elder Evils had the spell, I don't think any major changes were made.

Collin152
2008-06-21, 05:02 PM
Or rape it, apparently. Or suggest he examine his own head. And then make him your friend!

I suggest you look up what Mindrape lets me do.
Every thought and memory, mine. Examination, yes?

Vexxation
2008-06-21, 05:19 PM
I'll second Mindrape. Mostly the name being sweet, but also because it's very useful. And undetectable... "You just did something to him, didn't you?" "Uh.. no? *mindrape*" "...what was I saying?"

After Mindrape, I'd go with Contingency, Greater Teleport, Create Water, and Flesh to Salt.

Or Flesh to Stone, then Transmute Rock to Mud, then Transmute Mud to Rock. Granted, it only works if you decide that the FtS statue isn't considered "magical rock" but in my opinion, being created by magic doesn't make it magical. Because there's not much worse a punishment than turning someone to stone, then to mud, then throwing them in a hole and re-stoning them.

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-21, 05:26 PM
Lightning Leap: Dyslexicfaser gave the main reason, but try combining this with Sculpt Spell (120ft line). Goooood stuff. ^-^

Stick: Because gluing things together is funny. Really, take this spell, run into a friend's tent while they're sleeping, and cast it on everything in sight. Watch them freak the next morning when they see the Katamari you made from their belongings.

Lightning Leap: I don't really know how sculpt spell works, could you sculpt the Leap into a non-line? So you could, say, Lightning Leap around the room like something out of Pong/Arkenoid?

Stick: This sounds like TONS of fun. Sneak into your friend's rooms and glue everything - including their furniture, bed and themselves - to the ceiling! Who gets this at what level?

4: Reverse Gravity. It's not much use in a fight, but oh, the things you can do with this and a few ranks in Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering (or better yet, Knowledge: the Planes, but that might require an epic skill check).

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.

Eldariel
2008-06-21, 05:45 PM
Let's see, Disintegrate is pretty sweet (just imagine the impact it can have aimed to ground). Control Weather is a personal favourite (what's more destructive than Apocalypse from the Sky? A whole bunch of Tornadoes! No loss of sanity is a bonus), along with Control Water and Control Winds. All those open-ended spells can do pretty much whatever. Oh yeah, and Silent Image (since I'm a Shadowcraft Mage). Acid Fog is sweet. Grease is a personal favourite and Anti-Magic Field would be up there in the list too. Transmute Rock to Mud is also pretty sweet and Mirage Arcana and the whole Illusion-line of 'make stuff' is overall awesome. Basically anything open-ended and potent is right up there. Move Earth, Prismatic Sphere, Walls, Reverse Gravity, all the awesome effects. The good news is that most of them are capable of 'Win' too.

Damage-spells are mostly really bleh since they really do nothing special, generally just evoking the groan of "Fireball? Why always Fireballs? Aren't those younglings ever taught anything useful?" while rolling a bunch of d6s. No real effect, just damage to things. Magic Missile, Scorching Ray, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning and so on would fall under this in my books. I guess that just about covers my 'least favourite spells'. Basically, picking peoples' brains and rebuilding thoughts? Useful. Remaking the universe and shaping reality? Useful. Feeble attempts at blowing things to bits? Useless.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-06-21, 06:09 PM
Prestidigitation always fun. I also like "Summarize" when maintaining or dealing with libraries. Learn the basic gist of a book plus wether or not it contains spells! Just touch a book, and the information's yours!

However, I really dig "Titan's Strength" from the obscure Spells and Spellcraft. Set your strength to 40 for 1 minute/level for a 4th level spell? Yes please! It doesn't apply in combat, but it has some fun uses. Can't get your horses across the river? Just pick them up and fly across! Want an ad-hoc intimidation bonus against those gnoll bandits? Rip up the biggest tree within reach and throw it at them! Screw dealing with traps in that cave- just use your newly found mining prowess to just dig yourself a new path! It's especially amusing if you're a gnome or kobold who used STR as a dump stat.

It's not a spell, but the Summoner Reserve Feat from Complete Mage is great, since it lets you keep an elemental out as long as you have a summoning spell available. Now you can check for traps all day long with only a first level spell!

spamoo
2008-06-21, 09:30 PM
5) Fire Seeds: Being able to hurl exploding acorns at your opponents is infinitely amusing.

4) Fireball: All-time favorite spell for blasting people.

3) Alter Self: You never know when you'll need a disguise or alter ego. For me, that's whenever we venture out into public. (It's amazing how fast a druid, a rogue, and a sorcerer can make enemies in a large city)

2) Summon monster IX: Can you say 1d4 + 1 celestial elephants? Believe me, it's quite interesting.

1) Passwall: I never seem to run out of uses for this one.

Collin152
2008-06-21, 09:33 PM
1) Passwall: I never seem to run out of uses for this one.

1. To pass a wall.
2. Ummm...

Callos_DeTerran
2008-06-21, 09:37 PM
That's odd. Looking my my BoVD, it lists that the artifact is a material component and not a focus. The area of effect is listed as having a radius of ten miles per caster level. You're looking at something like... a 340-mile wide circle of devastation. Was this updated since BoVD?

The component part was errated I do believe but I think your right about the radius, all I remembered was that it got larger with CL instead of being a static radius. Not how much it increased by each time.

Also...bah! Why examine his head? Just rip his heart out, devour it to gain his strength, and move on...what? That's how it works for you fleshlings, right? Eat and gain power?

Ned the undead
2008-06-21, 09:47 PM
5. Firewhips. 6d6 fire damge with a 15 ft reach? at 8th level? Yes please.
4. Displacer Form. I turn into a displacer beast. Good luck hitting me now.
3. Body of War. I don't need to explain this.
2. Transmute Rock to Lava. Burn Duerger burn, arcane inferno!
1. Disintergrate. Good luck going toe-to-toe with the fighter without your armor now.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-06-21, 09:50 PM
1. To pass a wall.
2. Ummm...

You see, the variety comes from the great numbers of types of walls to be passed! Stone walls! Earthen walls! Iron Walls! Walls of Force! Prismatic Walls! Walls of bone, flesh, gears, vermin, scales...

Ned the undead
2008-06-21, 09:50 PM

I forgot about that one.

EndgamerAzari
2008-06-21, 10:00 PM
Crushing Fist of Spite--there cannot be a better way to say "**** you" than a giant hand coming down from the heavens and punching your foes into the ground.

Chronos
2008-06-21, 10:05 PM
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.If you mean the Know(Planes) part, I refer you to a thread from a couple of weeks ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81834).

For the more mundane uses, though: Dig a deep vertical shaft, that curves to a 45 degree angle at the top. Dig another straight shaft parallel to the first one, connecting at the bottom. Cast Reverse Gravity in the curved shaft. Presto, rapid-fire heavy artillery, just roll the boulders down the shaft, and out they go. Or cast Reverse Gravity as normal, and set up a heavy stone flywheel on the edge of the area: Perpetual motion. Or build a floating castle-- who doesn't want a floating castle? And note that Reverse Gravity is explicitly listed as eligible for the Permanency spell, so you only need one casting to last forever (sure, it's dispellable, if your enemy can get to the core of your sanctum where you have it cast).

Reinboom
2008-06-21, 10:18 PM
1. Benign Transposition - (Spell Compendium)
The utility offered is incredible. Set up flanking positions, get across gaps with a flying familiar or ally, used in combination with quicken to get a charging ally really close to the enemy before their first round by you running in, switching out, and them charging the rest of the way (for long battlefields). Switching locations with unconscious enemies, etc.

2. Dimension Shuffle - (Player's Handbook 2)
Mass Save or... move. This is a rather hilarious combat setup/fixer. Combine with Anticipate Teleportation, Greater and it becomes "Mass Save or Stop Existing for 3 Rounds".
This is rather fun to work with.

3. Arcane Fusion/Greater Arcane Fusion - (Complete Mage)
Combine them for even greater effect. One of my characters has done a play due to this along the lines of "I use the two arcane fusions together to... Battle Hymn, Haste, Benign Transposition, then cast Shield. I move 60 feet. Ok, done."

4. Limited Wish - (Core)
I like being able to Revivify the cleric...

Archetype-
2008-06-21, 10:29 PM
The component part was errated I do believe but I think your right about the radius, all I remembered was that it got larger with CL instead of being a static radius. Not how much it increased by each time.

I just looked for the BoVD errata, and apparently there is none. It got FAQ'd, and none of the questions addressed the issue of the component being changed to a focus. Still, makes for a great reason to sidequest. “Hey, guys? I need to go find a Book of Exalted Deeds. Why? 'Cause it's shiny. Oh, and I need to wipe out another population center.”

Also, regarding this...

what's more destructive than Apocalypse from the Sky? A whole bunch of Tornadoes! No loss of sanity is a bonus)

Sanity is for the weak!

Also...bah! Why examine his head? Just rip his heart out, devour it to gain his strength, and move on...what? That's how it works for you fleshlings, right? Eat and gain power?

Some of us gain power from what we consume, but for most of us it only allows us to continue living. We need to consume souls to truly gain power, and examining one's head gives a rough idea of how much we can gain from this practice. Of course, if souls aren't available then we have to make due with something from Greasy Fatburger.

-Archetype

Paul H
2008-06-22, 08:30 AM
Hi

IMHO the answers depends on circumstance & caster level/spells available.

My Living Greyhawk char is a Dwarf Cleric 3/Warmage 4/Mystic Theurge 5.

Routinely opens up with Evard's Tentacles. Nice way to divvy up the battlefield. At lower levels Invisibilty was good (Trickery Domain). Still remember time when we were stuck in bowels of a boat with half the party being grappled by an Otyugh. We were about 5th lvl, and Oskar was invisible, using his Wand Cure Lt Wnds to keep the others alive. (Fair few charges used)!

Still, nothing like playing a Clr/Warmage mix & casting Invis on yourself. The look on everyone's face........... :smallbiggrin:

Cheers
Paul H

Leon
2008-06-22, 09:49 AM
1. Baleful Polymorph (or as i like to call it Bufo's Hex) - Sure its a Dual save, but hey there is a good chance that the enemy is now a Toad.

2. Greater Slide - pushing things about, has both utility and Combat uses

3. Bones of the Earth - Solid Stone Pillars on demand (1 Per round) from any stone or earth surface in range, lots of Uses in both Combat or Utility

4. Animalistic Power - Half of Bears Endurance, Bulls Str and Cats Grace all in one neat package

5. Disintergrate - Wall, what wall....

kirbsys
2008-06-22, 10:01 AM
What I loved about the slide spells is that they were given as the specific example of a spell that ends up being too powerful in the DMG.

Ixtli
2008-06-23, 07:58 AM
5 - Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion.
4 - Explosive runes.
3 - Project image.
2 - Wall of eyes.
1 - Secret page.

Eldariel
2008-06-23, 08:56 AM
Sanity is for the weak!

Due to how D&D works, insanity induces comatose. Lack of comatose > comatose. Hence, sanity > insanity. Sorry, this is what the world's laws dictate!

Btw,

5. Firewhips. 6d6 fire damge with a 15 ft reach? at 8th level? Yes please.

This just made my day.

Chronicled
2008-06-23, 04:56 PM
Not necessarily in this order, and there's a few that would probably make the list but just aren't coming to mind. I'm also trying to avoid the usual favorites (since I believe that everyone loves Prestidigitation.)

5. Bestow Gift -- "Hey there BBEG, would ya kindly hand me the McGuffin? Kthnxbye!"
4. Defenestrating Sphere -- Needs no explanation
3. Changestaff -- "Say hello to my little friend. Smash 'em, Leafy."
2. Glibness -- If you can't have fun with this, you're not trying hard enough. Not to mention the possibility for epic Bluff checks at level 6... which let you make a free Suggestion.
1. Control Weather -- Because nothing says "I'm in control" like screwing with something that we're at the mercy of even in the 21st century. Also, it's a classic.

Collin152
2008-06-23, 05:50 PM
3 - Project image.

Someone uses Project Image?

Kobold-Bard
2008-06-23, 10:43 PM
1. (Maximised) Flame Strike. My Cleric was ordered to leave the healing to potions and scrolls because he was doing three times as much damage as anyone else with this little beauty.
2. Prestidigitation. I am glad that so many people agree with me about this spell. It is just endlessly useful.
3. (Chained) Disintergrate. Who doesn't love laying waste to the entire local mages guild in one go, what with their truly abyssmal Fortitude saves and the fact that they weren't designed as opponents.
4. Mass Heal. I assume no explaination is needed.
5. Righteous Might. "HA. Who's a tiny servant of evil now you smartass Paladin. Kobolds forever". (Word for word quote from Session eleven of last years campaign, Kobold cleric of Tiamat Smashes Dwarven Paladin on the head with a big rock.)

Chronos
2008-06-23, 10:45 PM
Someone uses Project Image?Why not? It's like a smaller-scale version of the Astral Projection trick, and I don't think I need to explain to you how handy that is. Your image can do everything important that you can (that is to say, casting spells), and if someone should happen to defeat it, you don't care, you're still safe and sound around the corner, where your enemy didn't even know.

Yeah, it's limited range and duration, but that's why it's a lower-level spell.

ALOR
2008-06-24, 12:47 AM
1. Prestidigitation
2. Ghost sound
3. Magic Missile
4. Teleport
5. Contingency

Ixtli
2008-06-24, 03:29 AM
Why not? It's like a smaller-scale version of the Astral Projection trick, and I don't think I need to explain to you how handy that is. Your image can do everything important that you can (that is to say, casting spells), and if someone should happen to defeat it, you don't care, you're still safe and sound around the corner, where your enemy didn't even know.

Yeah, it's limited range and duration, but that's why it's a lower-level spell.

I totally agree with Chronos, and I'd like to add that if you use alter self to appear as the elven fighter (that always mocks you, slaps you and kicks you ...) just to taunt some monster or villain (or even to make disrespectful comments about the city guard's wife) ... well project image is even better than mastercard
;)

DigoDragon
2008-06-24, 08:05 AM
I like Death Throes, great way to take everyone with you if you're slain. :smallbiggrin:

Chronicled
2008-06-25, 02:40 PM
I like Death Throes, great way to take everyone with you if you're slain. :smallbiggrin:

While the idea is cool, it's far more likely that you either do relatively little damage due to enemy placement (and it's only 1d8/caster level), or that you nail the party when your enemies do a ranged focus-fire on you.

Eldariel
2008-06-25, 04:18 PM
It's a great spell for BBEGs. Our party was almost wiped out by a Balor in this manner (we all fumbled our Knowledge-checks, of course). Certain Lich was a real annoyance too; we Grappled it to death in Anti-Magic and when the AMF was released, the whole corpse blew up on our faces (DM ruled that the suppressed effect activated afterwards since the body was dead with the spell active; bit different than the wording, but more interesting this way).

Draken
2008-06-25, 04:58 PM
5- Disintegrate (Along with Black Blade of Disaster and Sphere of Ultimate Destruction): Just because.

4- Passwall: Because I use it on the floor too :smallbiggrin:

3- Apocalypse from the Sky: Because there is NO spell that can do just so much damage as one that you first cast at... CL 17? 10 if you go Ur-Priest.

2- Crushing Fist of Spite: Just the name, it is awesome.

1- Love's Pain: It doesn't matter how much damage it deals. It doesn't matter how many people it kills. It doesn't matter how much pain it causes to the target. There is NO OTHER SPELL able to compare to this one in evilness.

Keld Denar
2008-06-25, 05:31 PM
1 Whirling Blade....I just love this spell

2 Freezing Fog...This spell should be in every Snickers commercial, cause you aren't going anywhere for a while.

3 Evards...See above, as a bonus does +10d6 damage to Japanese school girls!

4 Radiant Assault...LIGHT DAMAGE! Plus will save based AoE disable.

5 Benign Transposition...arguably the highest damaging 1st level spell, no save. Swap positions between your familiar and your parties BDF to drop him into full attack range and you've just cause a LARGE amount of damage. Its the poor man's pounce.

/cheat!
6 Disintegrate...but not targeted on a person. One of my friends calls this spell Greater Open for a reason.

Kami2awa
2008-06-25, 06:50 PM

It's taken from Call of Cthulhu, where it's called Clutch of Nyogtha.

Bob the Urgh
2008-06-25, 07:58 PM
what, no shillelagh?

Prophaniti
2008-06-25, 08:01 PM
1. Body of War: Nothing beats your mage suddenly turning into a gigantic, mechanical killing machine, especially if he dramatically bursts through the roof of the building you were in...

2. Righteous Might/Divine Power: All my clerics love the feeling of the strength of their god flowing though them.

3. Close Wounds: 'I'm dead, Horat--- Oh, never mind.' (Yes, I know, it was poison that was killing him. Shut up and laugh.)

4. Shileagliegh: I know I'm misspelling that, I'll fix it later, but it's stupidly fun to yell this every time you hit someone with it.

5. Any 'blasty' spell (e.g. Fireball): Because if you get tired of blowing things up, your not living anymore. :smallbiggrin:

These are just the ones I use the most. As for ones that I find the most interesting or unique, I'll have to glance through my books again.