PDA

View Full Version : The King In Yellow Play

wingover gimble
2008-06-21, 02:37 AM
I'm looking for the play called the king in yellow. It was banned in most of Europe because of the government and religious zealots went all crazy about it. After playing the one D&D adventure I have sort of become obsessed with trying to find this play. I know that there is a book by Robert W. Chambers and H.P. Lovecraft but I need the play and it seems like finding this play on the internet is like finding Jesus or something. If anyone has any information it would be very very helpful.

Justyn
2008-06-21, 02:43 AM
I'm looking for the play called the king in yellow. It was banned in most of Europe because of the government and religious zealots went all crazy about it. After playing the one D&D adventure I have sort of become obsessed with trying to find this play. I know that there is a book by Robert W. Chambers and H.P. Lovecraft but I need the play and it seems like finding this play on the internet is like finding Jesus or something. If anyone has any information it would be very very helpful.

Uh... Are you talking about the mind-melting (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrownNote) play discribed in the book? Because it's (thankfully) not real...

wingover gimble
2008-06-21, 02:46 AM
Uh... Are you talking about the mind-melting (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrownNote) play discribed in the book? Because it's (thankfully) not real...

It was written in the 1890's a man named Thom Ryng found the play from France and translated it to English but I can't seem to find a copy anywhere! Its driving me mad.

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-21, 03:02 AM
It was actually one of David Bowie's earlier autobiographies.

jamroar
2008-06-21, 03:05 AM
It was written in the 1890's a man named Thom Ryng found the play from France and translated it to English but I can't seem to find a copy anywhere! Its driving me mad.

It's a fictional play that appears in the Chamber's anthology of the same name, like the Lovecraft's Necronomicon, or Tolkien's Red Book of Westmarch. It doesn't really exist.

wingover gimble
2008-06-21, 03:11 AM
http://www.tccorp.com/armitage/ah_productlist.html scroll down the page and look under out of print, there you will see a book called the king in yellow, whats this *gasp* a translated book of the play?! Well i guess it must just be my eyes playing tricks on me you know how that gets.

Justyn
2008-06-21, 03:20 AM
It was written in the 1890's a man named Thom Ryng found the play from France and translated it to English but I can't seem to find a copy anywhere!

The collection of short stories was actualy written around that time; and the only Thom Ryng I could find is someone who attempted to make a real life adaption of the play from the book a few years back.

Its driving me mad.

That's a good one. :smallbiggrin:

"The King in Yellow, by Thom Ryng on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/King-Yellow-Thom-Ryng/dp/1411685768)

hamishspence
2008-06-21, 03:24 PM
"Have you seen the Yellow Sign?"

"Yes, it says Roadworks Ahead."

wingover gimble
2008-06-21, 04:58 PM
Well Justyn that's pretty much what i'm looking for i just wish I could find the online book somewhere. I think when i read the book and go insane, then I know that I found the coolest play out there. Well I guess I gotta wait until my next pay then buy it then go insane. That will be a summer to remember.

/b/

Closet_Skeleton
2008-06-21, 06:50 PM
Google is your friend.

http://www.fullbooks.com/The-King-In-Yellow.html

or at good ol' Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8492

Now you just have to prepare for disappointment.

Dryken
2008-06-22, 03:42 AM
If you want to go insane, I'd suggest reading a book on quantum theory. That stuff is really out there.

And I may be wrong, but doesn't the story go that people go insane while seeing the play performed and just reading it doesn't do anything?

Revlid
2008-06-22, 05:25 AM
If you want to go insane, I'd suggest reading a book on quantum theory. That stuff is really out there.

And I may be wrong, but doesn't the story go that people go insane while seeing the play performed and just reading it doesn't do anything?

Just reading it causes insanity.

Performing it summons Hastur.

GolemsVoice
2008-06-22, 06:05 AM
Who is that hastur everyone's talking abouarghhlalrgh *splorch* *head explodes*

Oh well, that was nasty. Thankfully, I have prepared spare ones, and with today's occult science... As for the King in Yellow, yes, you can indeed find it on Project Gutenberg. The first four stories are great, but it gets somewhat dull later on. All in all, it's a fun read. So fun I've laughed a whole day. Ha! Ha ha! Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Tengu
2008-06-22, 06:22 AM
It was actually one of David Bowie's earlier autobiographies.

He already lived in the XIX century?

chiasaur11
2008-06-22, 01:35 PM
Just reading it causes insanity.

Performing it summons Hastur.

Oh yeah, we did that play back in Junior High.
You know, Hastur gets a bad rap. We met him afterwords, really a nice guy. He had the BEST stories from work. You wouldn't believe how gullible Narlyhotep is.

Good times.

GrassyGnoll
2008-06-22, 02:48 PM
I don't have the original, but when it comes to King in Yellow writing my favorite is '"The King, in: Yellow' by Brian Keene. It's the account of a couple going to a modern performance of the play. It might have a couple lines he threw in addition to Chamber's work.

Skyrocket
2008-06-22, 03:32 PM

Sounds like the time I had to sit through a really awful performance of "My Fair Lady." :yuk:

Hectonkhyres
2008-06-22, 05:51 PM
He already lived in the XIX century?
David Bowie is the Demiurge of gnostic belief. Also, I suggest you watch Venture Brothers.

Somebloke
2008-06-23, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I saw the play once.

Totally worth the SAN loss.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-06-23, 03:26 PM
He already lived in the XIX century?He didn't but, The Area (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MemeticBadass) is the being commonly known as Azathoth, and therefore eternal (Ctrl+F David Bowie on that page.)

Stormthorn
2008-06-26, 04:51 PM

I HAPPEN TO HAVE A COPY OF THE PLAY AS WELL AS A COPY OF THE NECRONOMICON.

As described in its fictitious history the play (like the necronomicon) does not exist. Doesnt mean you cant get it tho. Just not THE play.

chiasaur11
2008-06-26, 11:17 PM
I HAPPEN TO HAVE A COPY OF THE PLAY AS WELL AS A COPY OF THE NECRONOMICON.

As described in its fictitious history the play (like the necronomicon) does not exist. Doesnt mean you cant get it tho. Just not THE play.

It doesn't?
That creepy estate sale was a waste of money then. I bet the one eyed guy didn't REALLY teleport when I looked away either.

(I was confused by the trap door until now.)

thekinginyellow
2017-06-27, 09:39 AM
It exists.. I cannot say anymore and I do have proof, it came to me very strangely.. If you still want to know seek me out here and pm me. I have been trying to find solid information on the play that you may have, so we can help each other.

Lord of Gifts
2017-06-27, 09:54 AM
Possibly worth making the distinction that it's THE Necronomicon, as described in Lovecraft's stories, which doesn't exist. Plenty of people have used the name for various things.
There's been a thick, black, leather bound book sat on the shelves of my local Waterstones for months, with Necronomicon written in big gold letters across the front, but it's just a Lovecraft anthology. I hope. Not really worth the SAN loss to check.

JoshL
2017-06-27, 10:24 AM
If I could have a mind-melting fictitious book, i'd like a copy of Vastarien, from the Thomas Ligotti story of the same name. The book has not yet found its reader....

I haven't read the Ryng version of the play (just so we're all on the same page, he's a modern mythos writer, and that is not a translation of an old play), is it any good, if anyone has read it?

And tangential to this discussion, I recorded a cover of Cassilda's Song as Carcosa (https://doorsinthelabyrinth.bandcamp.com/track/carcosa-2) last year, borrowing my friend's melody (he did it as an acoustic folk song back in the 90s). Might be of some interest!

Eldan
2017-06-27, 11:48 AM
Possibly worth making the distinction that it's THE Necronomicon, as described in Lovecraft's stories, which doesn't exist. Plenty of people have used the name for various things.
There's been a thick, black, leather bound book sat on the shelves of my local Waterstones for months, with Necronomicon written in big gold letters across the front, but it's just a Lovecraft anthology. I hope. Not really worth the SAN loss to check.

There's also various occultists who want the name recognition, and a few artists. THere's all manner of books called Necronomicon out there.

GloatingSwine
2017-06-27, 01:55 PM
As an alternative, I suggest reading The Armageddon Score by Charles Stross, which contains reference to The King in Yellow.

Also the first season of True Detective.

brionl
2017-06-27, 11:21 PM
OK, I'll bite. Even though this thread is over nine years old.

Lawrence Watt-Evans' Lords of Dus series has an old guy dressed in yellow as one of the plot stirrer-uppers. Who may or may not be a former king.

Also speaking of ancient tomes of forbidden knowledge, I usually use the Libre Magnus de Senebus Deo (Big Book of Elderly Gods).

Nerd-o-rama
2017-07-01, 11:06 AM
Oh my god this thread is so old I unironically linked to TVTropes why god.

JoshL
2017-07-01, 03:31 PM
Unironically linking tvtropes is better than just using tvtropes lingo (pet peeve as I sometimes do that, but really, is there a better way to describe the beginning of a horror movie than "20 minutes with jerks"?).

And seriously, if any thread is appropriate for thread necromancy, it's one about The King....

thorgrim29
2017-07-01, 04:27 PM
I would really like to know how this thread necro happened.

smuchmuch
2017-07-01, 05:00 PM
Herbert West finaly accessed the internet and found that forum threads are a lot easier to raise than people ?