PDA

View Full Version : Belkars Mark of Justice

Nero24200
2008-06-21, 02:18 PM
In the recent strip, we have seen the mark of justice activate, due to Belkar's attack against a living humaniod.

But in this strip here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html
We see Belkar kill another living humaniod. Upon not seeing the mark of justice Activate, I had first assumed that Belkar's theory here was the reason. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html

Any theorys regarding this?

Green-Shirt Q
2008-06-21, 02:20 PM
Belkar can kill another humanoid unless it is in a town, city or village.

I can't remember which comic said this. If I wasn't so dang lazy I'd give you a link to it.

Jamaican Castle
2008-06-21, 02:30 PM
Indeed he can, as evidenced in the attack on Azure City, where he could only participate in the battle outside of city limits.

Hence why the town was deliberately founded "last week" - the Oracle knew (or suspected) Belkar would kill him and decided to make sure he ended up with the worst of the deal.

Also why Belkar wasn't concerned over the Mark until too late; he didn't expect there to be a village anywhere nearby.

SPoD
2008-06-21, 02:42 PM
Also, there was never a limitation on the type of creature that could activate the Mark; humanoid, animal, dragon, whatever, as long as it was living and within the bounds of a village, town, or city.

Kish
2008-06-21, 02:46 PM
Though this is a side issue, I've seen the Mark misquoted enough times to want to emphasize that it goes off for any living creature, not limited to humanoids.

Edit: Ninjad by SPoD.

ericgrau
2008-06-21, 05:44 PM
Chinese characters are made up of several distinct radicals, less than 100 I think. The strokes in the mark don't contain any of the radicals I can remember, nor do they look similar in style. Chinese characters tend to be well organized, often with 4 quadrants or two halves or otherwise distinguishing the individual radicals. The "J" in the mark goes from top right to bottom left, which breaks that pattern. The "L" likewise crosses over the "J". Really it doesn't seem similar in style to Chinese in general.

All that overlapping free-form suggests that it's something Rich sketched up on the fly, IMO.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-06-21, 11:52 PM
Chinese characters are made up of several distinct radicals, less than 100 I think. The strokes in the mark don't contain any of the radicals I can remember, nor do they look similar in style. Chinese characters tend to be well organized, often with 4 quadrants or two halves or otherwise distinguishing the individual radicals. The "J" in the mark goes from top right to bottom left, which breaks that pattern. The "L" likewise crosses over the "J". Really it doesn't seem similar in style to Chinese in general.

All that overlapping free-form suggests that it's something Rich sketched up on the fly, IMO.

I think you meant to post this in the Asian knowledge thread.

The Extinguisher
2008-06-22, 12:10 AM
There's obviously some limits on it. As it's very, very hard to not kill something, especially in a city.

quiet1mi
2008-06-22, 12:16 AM
two words

nonlethal damage... just a -4 to hit and MoJ is never activated.

factotum
2008-06-22, 12:41 AM
There's obviously some limits on it. As it's very, very hard to not kill something, especially in a city.

Well, that's quite true--would be a bit rich if the MoJ triggered because you happened to swat a fly within city bounds!

ericgrau
2008-06-22, 12:19 PM
I think you meant to post this in the Asian knowledge thread.

I think I did. Oh well.

Green and Red
2008-06-22, 02:42 PM
Well, that's quite true--would be a bit rich if the MoJ triggered because you happened to swat a fly within city bounds!

Given that OotS in an D&D based world... how often has in D&D somemade his characters actual attack rolls against a fly, with damage for the fly calculated and so on?its propably when he makes an attack in the sense of the rules