PDA

View Full Version : Spell contest?

insecure
2008-06-22, 05:25 AM
With both a PrC contest and a monster contest, and possibly a item contest too, what do you think about having a spell contest too? Will there be too many "contest" threads? Is it a good idea?

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-22, 09:45 AM
I thnk it's a good idea. Would you suggest a key word to base the spells for the contest around, or were you going to do it based on schools or something else?

insecure
2008-06-22, 03:23 PM
I think a keyword centered contest is better, 'cause it would be too broad if we're using schools.

Collin152
2008-06-22, 06:37 PM
Well, I'd participate, so it's a grand idea.

Eurus
2008-06-22, 09:02 PM
That would be nifty... Spells based on one keyword, huh? Might take some thought to make sure it's a broad enough concept that everyone doesn't come up with the same spells, but it sounds like it could be really fun.

RTGoodman
2008-06-22, 09:17 PM
If you do it, I might take part (if I can think an interesting entry).

One thing I was thinking is maybe divide it up to low-level (1st-3rd), mid-level (4th-6th), and high-level (7th-9th) spells for the purposes of judging so you'll be comparing things of similar power levels.

Eurus
2008-06-22, 09:42 PM
Probably a good idea. If that was the case, though, would participants be allowed one submission to each power bracket?

RTGoodman
2008-06-22, 10:43 PM
That'd be up to whoever's running the contest. I'd probably say one entry only, though. VT's Creature Competitions are one-entry-per-person, and I think the official contests only allow one entry even if there are numerous categories. The official [ISLE] Contest was like that, I think, since there were awards for Best Island, Best Secret, Best Inhabitant, Most Humorous Entry, and stuff like that.

insecure
2008-06-23, 10:52 AM
Probably a good idea. If that was the case, though, would participants be allowed one submission to each power bracket?

Yes.

One thing I was thinking is maybe divide it up to low-level (1st-3rd), mid-level (4th-6th), and high-level (7th-9th) spells for the purposes of judging so you'll be comparing things of similar power levels.

I like that idea. And i prefer to find the best spells by votes.

Any thoughts?

RTGoodman
2008-06-23, 01:59 PM
I like that idea. And i prefer to find the best spells by votes.

Yeah, that's the way to go. Grouping by power level still helps out when there are a lot of people voting, since people don't say, "Wow, that 9th level spell has an awesome effect! It gets my vote!" while the cool, but less powerful, low-level spells get left in the dust.

insecure
2008-06-24, 01:32 PM
Yeah, that's the way to go. Grouping by power level still helps out when there are a lot of people voting, since people don't say, "Wow, that 9th level spell has an awesome effect! It gets my vote!" while the cool, but less powerful, low-level spells get left in the dust.

Maybe we should have three contests, one for 1-3 spells, one for 4-6 spells, and one for 7-9? So you have to make three spells, all with the same keyword, and then, one, two, or all of them can win in its own category.

What do you think?

vegetalss4
2008-06-24, 01:34 PM
sounds like a great idea when do we start

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-24, 01:42 PM
My only problem with needing a spell for each catagory is that it would probably hinder less creative people (I'd allow the perticipants to just enter 1 or 2 of the catagories if they want to).

insecure
2008-06-24, 03:50 PM
So far, i/we've came up with these rules.

One submission per participant.

You can make a 1st-3rd level spell, a 4th-6th level spell, or a 7th-9th level spell, or any combination of those.

There will be a keyword you'd have to build each spell around.

You can edit your submitted spells as much as you want until the deadline.

We will find the best spells by voting.

Do i miss something? Any thoughts?

insecure
2008-06-28, 04:57 AM
*Bump* And some filler text.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-28, 05:16 AM
I'm fine with that set-up. Did you want some key-word ideas?

insecure
2008-06-28, 05:37 AM
I'll try to start a thread now and see what happens.