PDA

View Full Version : squiddlydoodlefluffer.

Jolly Steve
2008-06-22, 05:26 AM
Is it only in Australia that 'doodle' means penis?

And 'fluffer'...:smalleek:

SPoD
2008-06-22, 05:31 AM
It definitely doesn't mean that in the USA, which is where Rich lives.

That being said, I definitely got a "substituting for another verb that starts with 'f'" vibe from "fluffer".

EDIT: On the other hand, a fluffer does fluff doodles, so...

Remirach
2008-06-22, 05:34 AM
When I think of "doodle," I think of "Yankee Doodle."

Or at least I did.

[We need a facepalm smiley, we really do.]

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-22, 06:05 AM
Clearly these Yanks need a lesson in Aussie Slang :smalltongue:

Remirach
2008-06-22, 06:24 AM
Clearly these Yanks need a lesson in Aussie Slang :smalltongue:

Don't mind, I'm always up for learning bad words in another vernacular :smallcool:. But the song... part of the irony is that it's a song that was made to make fun of us poor colonials in the FIRST place. That it has acquired a secondary insulting meaning is just... defying of all words, it's just too funny.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-22, 06:35 AM
Don't mind, I'm always up for learning bad words in another vernacular :smallcool:. But the song... part of the irony is that it's a song that was made to make fun of us poor colonials in the FIRST place. That it has acquired a secondary insulting meaning is just... defying of all words, it's just too funny.

I disagree, as for the slang ... the only term that ever confuses people is "word up". It means "Whats happening?"

Evil DM Mark3
2008-06-22, 06:43 AM
Whenever I think of doodle I think of a quick sketch, often of nothing in particular.

Remirach
2008-06-22, 06:51 AM
I disagree, as for the slang ... the only term that ever confuses people is "word up". It means "Whats happening?"
Disagree with what, exactly? This whole topic seems playful, so I'm not all that serious. A "doodle" is a drawing, here, and the word is also part of the song, which IS well-known in the US. A "fluffer" is... apparently the same anywhere, so we won't go into that. A "squiggle" is related to a "doodle" and probably relates to the nature of the drawing style.

And, finally... WUZZUP?!

SoD
2008-06-22, 06:53 AM
Whenever I think of doodle I think of a quick sketch, often of nothing in particular.

Same here, born and bred Aussie myself. However, it depends largely on the context. But when used purely as an odd word, drawing comes to mind.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-22, 06:54 AM
Disagree with what, exactly? This whole topic seems playful, so I'm not all that serious. A "doodle" is a drawing, here, and the word is also part of the song, which IS well-known in the US. A "fluffer" is... apparently the same anywhere, so we won't go into that. A "squiggle" is related to a "doodle" and probably relates to the nature of the drawing style.

And, finally... WUZZUP?!

I disagree that it's too funny. Nothing can be too funny, especially not that. :smalltongue:

Either way, we're talking about "Squiddly" not Squiggly which could have some ... different implications (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html)

As for me? My leg just had a minor implosion, reducing me to crawling :smallfrown:

dish
2008-06-22, 07:05 AM
You Australians do tend to use some slang which is completely unknown to the rest of us.

Am I completely mistaken, or isn't the innocuous word 'unit' also a synonym for penis?

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-22, 07:06 AM
You Australians do tend to use some slang which is completely unknown to the rest of us.

Am I completely mistaken, or isn't the innocuous word 'unit' also a synonym for penis?

Not in Canberra, but "Fishwick" does mean ... :smallwink: ... store

DreadSpoon
2008-06-22, 07:39 AM

Unit, peter, wang, stuff, package, junk, wood, mushroom... one could go on for ages. We have TONS of words for penis.

There is a theory is sociology that a society has the most synonyms for the things that are most important to it. In America, we have more words for cars, money, or sex than any other one thing; and sex by far trumps the other two, especially when you take into account all our words for penis, vagina, homosexuality, and so on.

Yay us!

Trazoi
2008-06-22, 07:52 AM
There is a theory is sociology that a society has the most synonyms for the things that are most important to it.
In Australia, it's probably a tie between beer and throwing up. Take from that what you will.

TigerHunter
2008-06-22, 10:33 AM
Unit, peter, wang, stuff, package, junk, wood, mushroom... one could go on for ages. We have TONS of words for penis.

There is a theory is sociology that a society has the most synonyms for the things that are most important to it. In America, we have more words for cars, money, or sex than any other one thing; and sex by far trumps the other two, especially when you take into account all our words for penis, vagina, homosexuality, and so on.

Yay us!
It's currently popular to blame the FCC. Saying "penis" (or any of the others) on public TV is frowned upon, so TV networks make up new slang for those terms all the time.

AceOfFools
2008-06-22, 11:13 AM
For me doodle will always mean those Cheeto, even if no reference to cheese is ever made.

And I don't particularly like cheese doodles.

Prowl
2008-06-22, 11:42 AM
Is it only in Australia that 'doodle' means penis?

And 'fluffer'...:smalleek:

I would guess then that the phrase "Yankee Doodle Dandy" would be interpreted quite differently down under...

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-22, 11:52 AM
I was a squiddlydoodlefluffer for a few years. I worked at the sqiddlydoodle-plant in Northeast Southfordshire. Squiddlydoodlefluffing may not be the most important thing to the economy, but it is an art that has tragically fallen into obscurity.

ericgrau
2008-06-22, 12:24 PM
"Doodle" is used in the U.S. too sometimes.
Flanders to Homer: "Hey Homer, I can see your doodle!"

This article has a picture of the creature who fluffs the doodles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squiddly_Diddly

He can be seen blowing in the picture. I've now scarred your brain for the day :smallbiggrin:.

Chronos
2008-06-22, 12:56 PM
For that matter, any word at all can carry any sex-related meaning at all, depending on the context. Try it sometime: Take any sex-related sentence, replace all of the sexual words with other, random words, and see what you get.

mockingbyrd7
2008-06-22, 01:45 PM
For that matter, any word at all can carry any sex-related meaning at all, depending on the context. Try it sometime: Take any sex-related sentence, replace all of the sexual words with other, random words, and see what you get.

And lo, "that's what she said" was born.

*ducks for cover*

Kai Maera
2008-06-22, 02:32 PM
While I love this chat about slang, I would just like to point out that the Australians have more words for the wang than any group should have a right to. :smallconfused:

So, along those lines: SQUIDDLY :smalltongue:

Kami2awa
2008-06-22, 04:37 PM
With so many dialects of English, any short word is likely to have a slang meaning somewhere...

Duke
2008-06-22, 04:43 PM
In casual everyday conversation, I've heard the word "squiddly" to describe being flaccid when otherwise wished. Doodle is, of course, a dong, and a fluffer is, well, I'm sure we all know what that means. So, by word association, a fluffer doing what it does to a squiddly doodle. Ew.

And as for the Aussies having more words for a wang, look at Britain's library of sex related words. Not necessarily just wang, but over half the official collection of British slang/Slang often heard in the British Isles relates to personal body parts.

It does make for interesting conversation with friends, however.

Liquidska
2008-06-22, 06:15 PM
It isn't only in Austrulia that doodle means penis. Look at the Simpson movie. Just about the most American thing out there.

Homer: I dare you to skateboard to krusty burger and back.. naked!
Bart: How naked?
Homer: 4th base.
Bart: But girls might see my doodle!

Demented
2008-06-22, 06:26 PM
*ducks for cover*

Is that what they're calling it now? :p

I'm trying to imagine the situation in which Roy could conceivably say "squiddlydoodlefluffer" accidentally.

aliron
2008-06-22, 09:01 PM
It isn't only in Austrulia that doodle means penis. Look at the Simpson movie. Just about the most American thing out there.

Homer: I dare you to skateboard to krusty burger and back.. naked!
Bart: How naked?
Homer: 4th base.
Bart: But girls might see my doodle!

Meant to have a comedic effect because it's unusual, instead of being actual everyday vernacular. It's like Bart saying "But I'm nakey" or something else that sounds off.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-22, 09:12 PM
I don't particularly like cheese doodles.

But would you still gnaw through a whole bag of doodles, even pouring the doodle-powder at the bottom of the bag into your mouth? Yes, I am giggling like an easily amused 6 year old at the moment.

AceOfFools
2008-06-22, 11:44 PM
But would you still gnaw through a whole bag of doodles, even pouring the doodle-powder at the bottom of the bag into your mouth?
Hey, I only ever did that twice! Back in high school! And both times the bags were already opened, and started on by one of my bothers!:smallwink:

The command word gets extra cheese points because the snacks are very fluffy, and frequently quite squiggly in shape (d, g, w/e).

EDIT: Fluffy in the light and full of air sense, not as in fuzzy.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-23, 12:00 AM
So your brothers started eating some doodles, and you came along and finished those fluffy, squiggly doodles off? He wrote, giggling childishly as he ran the joke into the ground with the gentle touch of a Canadian fur-trapper

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-23, 12:44 AM
Doodle is sometimes, but very rarely (RE: Such as the Simpson's Movie) used to refer to the male sex charecteristic in the United States.
On another odd ote, I saw a book earlier today that had, amongst other things, a section enetitled "One thousand different names for your penis (not counting "penis")" I did't read through the whole thing, but it was a good two to three pages long.

As to slang: the most interesting foriegn (I'm American) slang I've heard is "stroof".
Is that how you spell it?
I just think it sounds funny.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-23, 02:48 AM
In Australia, it's probably a tie between beer and throwing up. Take from that what you will.

Mark, Speccy, Grab, Cazaly ...

Doodle is sometimes, but very rarely (RE: Such as the Simpson's Movie) used to refer to the male sex charecteristic in the United States.
On another odd ote, I saw a book earlier today that had, amongst other things, a section enetitled "One thousand different names for your penis (not counting "penis")" I did't read through the whole thing, but it was a good two to three pages long.

As to slang: the most interesting foriegn (I'm American) slang I've heard is "stroof".
Is that how you spell it?
I just think it sounds funny.

Streuth?

Bogardan_Mage
2008-06-23, 03:20 AM
Meant to have a comedic effect because it's unusual, instead of being actual everyday vernacular. It's like Bart saying "But I'm nakey" or something else that sounds off.
It's not an especially common term in Australia either. Indeed, that scene has exactly that impact on an Australian audience. There's only confusion because the Australian OP didn't know American slang and apparently neither did the first few American replies. The word has the exact same meaning in both countries, as far as I can determine, frequency and context of usage included.

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 03:39 AM
Streuth?
I usually spell it "strewth", but I think both spellings are acceptable.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-23, 05:07 AM
I usually spell it "strewth", but I think both spellings are acceptable.

AYE! Thats how its spelled!
It now, also earns the award for "Best wierdest spelled awesome-sounding foreign Slang"

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 05:27 AM
AYE! Thats how its spelled!
It now, also earns the award for "Best wierdest spelled awesome-sounding foreign Slang"
Strewth, too bloody right mate!

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-23, 05:41 AM
Strewth, too bloody right mate!

Oh yeah, well it's not like I'm a linguist anyway so whatever. Stone the flaming crows mate take a good hard look at yourself.

cheesecake
2008-06-23, 05:52 AM
Doodle=Penis

Fluffer= a man or woman who keeps a male adult film actor aroused before his big scence.

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 06:31 AM
Oh yeah, well it's not like I'm a linguist anyway so whatever. Stone the flaming crows mate take a good hard look at yourself.
No worries, cobber!

I had a moderately lengthy and rather amicable internet debate a few months ago on another forum with another Aussie on whether the correct spelling was "strewth" or "streuth", and in the end I think the conclusion was both were fine. "Strewth" is the only spelling that's in my Collins Australian dictionary, but "streuth" makes more sense from the meaning of the word (it's a contraction of "God's Truth"). Although back when the word was first coined it was probably in the era where spelling was much more flexible.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-06-23, 06:48 AM
No worries, cobber!

I had a moderately lengthy and rather amicable internet debate a few months ago on another forum with another Aussie on whether the correct spelling was "strewth" or "streuth", and in the end I think the conclusion was both were fine. "Strewth" is the only spelling that's in my Collins Australian dictionary, but "streuth" makes more sense from the meaning of the word (it's a contraction of "God's Truth"). Although back when the word was first coined it was probably in the era where spelling was much more flexible.

Actually spelling probably wasn't that flexible, but pronunciation probably was. Like how it's Jervis bay, not Jarvis and how it should be prounounced manooka.

Boring english fact over, my favourite is still "Fair Dinkum"

Chronos
2008-06-23, 11:04 AM
It should be noted that Bart Simpson, being a cartoon character, might literally have a "doodle".

And I don't think that "doodle" actually is used that way in American slang... It seems to me that that usage was an example of my earlier assertion that any word can have sexual meaning.

Kai Maera
2008-06-23, 01:32 PM
It should be noted that Bart Simpson, being a cartoon character, might literally have a "doodle".

And I don't think that "doodle" actually is used that way in American slang... It seems to me that that usage was an example of my earlier assertion that any word can have sexual meaning.

What about drago--
strawberr--
... Rye?

Eric
2008-06-23, 04:20 PM

That being said, I definitely got a "substituting for another verb that starts with 'f'" vibe from "fluffer".

EDIT: On the other hand, a fluffer does fluff doodles, so...

Bender calls Fry's "lower horn" a whing-dang-doodle".

I think doodle as a euphormism is around in the US.

Mind you, it's generic enough to mean *anything*.

Eric
2008-06-23, 04:22 PM
I would guess then that the phrase "Yankee Doodle Dandy" would be interpreted quite differently down under...

Yank your doodle. Dandy!

?

:smallredface:

Eric
2008-06-23, 04:25 PM
Streuth?

That's corruption of "God's Truth" (at least according to the etymology I've read).

Tusalu
2008-06-23, 04:29 PM
Wow! Isn't this exciting? Am I the only one who thinks it was just meant to be an odd collection of funny-sounding syllables?

Great avatar BTW EvilDMMK :smallbiggrin:

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-23, 04:32 PM
On the subject of double entendres, has anyone else wanted to see a Paladin in the comic sternly give this threat:

"I shall cleanse your foul and disgusting taint with this blade"?

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 06:44 PM
Boring english fact over, my favourite is still "Fair Dinkum"
I'm not sure I have a favourite, but to keep in the general entendre theme of this thread I have to mention "fair suck of the saveloy". (It means something along the lines of "to be fair and reasonable")

David Argall
2008-06-24, 12:50 AM
Wow! Isn't this exciting? Am I the only one who thinks it was just meant to be an odd collection of funny-sounding syllables?

No. Probably quite a few suspect that the words are random and any lewd meaning is due to our ability to find lewd meanings to every word in every language.
However common sense is generally boring.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-06-24, 03:49 AM

I'm in the US and I can go there, so why can't Rich?

So, yeah, it's naughty, much like Wankel Rotary Engine, only more so.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-06-24, 08:57 AM
I was a squiddlydoodlefluffer for a few years. I worked at the sqiddlydoodle-plant in Northeast Southfordshire. Squiddlydoodlefluffing may not be the most important thing to the economy, but it is an art that has tragically fallen into obscurity.

Is it just me, or is this simply intended to be an obscure bit of nonsense?

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-24, 05:23 PM
Obscure...it hurts to admit it, but that is the word that best describes the art practiced by all the diligent men and women of the squiddlydoodle industry. But nonsense? I suppose it would seem nonsense to someone who has never had to restitch their craw or detread a druthers.

I have seen the Plumbing Industry transform from the proud and noble Architecture of Pipes to a sewage-caked vortex of misery due to the mockery of Philistines applying their prurient vernacular to their stopcocks and ballcocks.

Squiddlydoodlefluffing will not suffer the same fate...

AceOfFools
2008-06-24, 07:45 PM
No. Probably quite a few suspect that the words are random and any lewd meaning is due to our ability to find lewd meanings to every word in every language.
However common sense is generally boring.

Quoted for truth.

Chronos
2008-06-24, 10:15 PM
On the subject of double entendres, has anyone else wanted to see a Paladin in the comic sternly give this threat:

"I shall cleanse your foul and disgusting taint with this blade"?Apropos of nothing, but the Latin word for "sheath" or "scabbard" is "vagina". And yes, "gladius" was common slang for "penis".