PDA

View Full Version : CR's for 4e

d'Bwobsling
2008-06-22, 10:49 AM
So yesterday, my level one ranger along with the help of a level one fighter took down a cr 8 monster. I realize that these monsters aren't meant to be fought alone, but I can't find a chart that translates the monsters xp to its cr (solo of course).
Anyone find the chart?

AKA_Bait
2008-06-22, 10:58 AM
DMG P 120 has the table you want.

I'm a little confused by your post though. Did your 2 level one fellows take down one level 8 regular monster by themselves or one level 8 solo monster?

If the former, your PC would be getting 175 exp each (monster is worth 350 and there are 2 PCs splitting the exp). In the latter case they would be getting 875 exp each (monster is worth 1,750 divided by 2 PCs). Also, if the latter, bravo (although I suspect your DM went easy on you).

Also, if it's the former, then your kicking it's butt makes perfect sense. The exp for 2 1st level monsters (the way 4e is balanced now) is 200, so a monster worth 350 would be a difficult encounter, but not a really deadly one, particularly considering, as you said, they aren't meant to be fought alone.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-22, 11:02 AM
So yesterday, my level one ranger along with the help of a level one fighter took down a cr 8 monster. I realize that these monsters aren't meant to be fought alone, but I can't find a chart that translates the monsters xp to its cr (solo of course).
Anyone find the chart?

DMG Page 56; a standard LV 8 monster is 350 XP, which is roughly the suggested EL 1 encounter for 3 LV 1 characters. For building level-appropriate encounters, the table on Page 57 is good.

EDIT: the chart on 120 is a reprint of the same chart of 56. Exciting!

AKA_Bait
2008-06-22, 11:05 AM
DMG Page 56;

Ignore him! It's not as though WotC would put the exact same table on two different pages in the same book or anything!:smallwink:

LoopyZebra
2008-06-22, 11:06 AM
Page 120 of the DMG has what I think you're looking for.

Also, note that CR's a dead concept. There's just Monster Level, and that gives a flat amount of XP (not modified by PC level) based upon the type of monster (i.e., minion, standard, elite, solo). Typically, a standard challenge for a given level should consist of the xp for a standard monster times the number of players, so in your example, the average challenge should have either 8 level 1 minions, 2 level 1 standards, or one level 1 elite, or some appropriate combination.

Also, to be fair, a level 8 solo should have wiped the floor with you guys; in personal experience, solos (especially those in the Monster Manual) tend to be really difficult unless you have at least 5 people, not to mention, the DMG recommends not sending a critter more than 7 levels higher at the party. If you were fighting a standard monster, that might explain some things, and the xp should be given for a level 8 standard, whether or not he was by himself. If it was a level 8 solo, and you found some creative way of killing it (maybe dropping the roof on it's head or something), the DMG recommends not giving xp for the encounter unless it was actually an encounter, i.e. the players were in risk.

Anyways, that's what the book says.

EDIT: Apparently I should type faster. :smallsmile:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-22, 11:07 AM
Ignore him! It's not as though WotC would put the exact same table on two different pages in the same book or anything!:smallwink:

At least they're not putting slightly different variations of the same table in multiple sections now :smalltongue:

AKA_Bait
2008-06-22, 11:14 AM
At least they're not putting slightly different variations of the same table in multiple sections now :smalltongue:

This is true. I'm actually happy they are putting the really important tables, and this is one of the most important, in multiple sections now. Makes it easier to find it.

Yakk
2008-06-22, 07:06 PM
The short of it:
You are not recommended to use monsters more than +/- 4 to 5 levels away from the party. Especially avoid Soldier or Brutes 5 or more levels above the party, as their strength/weaknesses are increased by the level gap.

But, in general, two level 1 characters should be fighting an encounter worth 200 XP. (that would be a "level 1 encounter" for 2 characters).

Two level 4 characters should be fighting an encounter worth 400 XP (so that would be a "level 4 encounter" for 2 characters).

A level 8 monster is, as noted, worth 350 XP. That places it between a level 3 or level 4 encounter for your two characters.

That means it should be challenging, and it should be possible for your characters to die simply because of the luck of the dice, but it shouldn't be a "instant kill", especially if your characters are freshly rested. Odds are your party will want to rest to regain daily powers after such an encounter.

Starbuck_II
2008-06-22, 09:02 PM
The short of it:
You are not recommended to use monsters more than +/- 4 to 5 levels away from the party. Especially avoid Soldier or Brutes 5 or more levels above the party, as their strength/weaknesses are increased by the level gap.

But, in general, two level 1 characters should be fighting an encounter worth 200 XP. (that would be a "level 1 encounter" for 2 characters).

Two level 4 characters should be fighting an encounter worth 400 XP (so that would be a "level 4 encounter" for 2 characters).

A level 8 monster is, as noted, worth 350 XP. That places it between a level 3 or level 4 encounter for your two characters.

That means it should be challenging, and it should be possible for your characters to die simply because of the luck of the dice, but it shouldn't be a "instant kill", especially if your characters are freshly rested. Odds are your party will want to rest to regain daily powers after such an encounter.

Example Monster level 8:
Shadar-kai Warrior
HP 86; Bloodied 43
AC 24; Fortitude 19, Reflex 20, Will 17.It van do 2 attacks/round with katars each deal 1d6+3.

Now, I find the fact that the OP's party hit this thing immpressive (It has a +13 to attack rolls so it will hit a Fighter in Scale and Heavy Shield on a 7; that is a 65% chance of hitting a Defensive Fighter).

Since Average hps will be 25 for Level 1 Fighter and Ranger: They die in 8 attacks so about 4 rounds per character.

I find that they beat any non-minion Lv8 something fishy.