PDA

View Full Version : Photography in the Playground

Penguinsushi
2008-06-22, 08:24 PM
In response to the overwhelming requests for such a thread (I think there were two people. I think they said "Meh."), the fact that I think at least 1 other thread has been (nearly) derailed by such conversation, and the lack of anyone else having done it yet, I've decided to start this thread.

This is intended to be geared primarily toward people interested in photography as an art, but it is, of course, open to anyone who likes taking pictures or talking about it. If we have any pro's in the playground, I'd really love to hear from you. :smallbiggrin:

So here's what i'm seeing as relevant topics:

1) Gear. This isn't really the important part of photography - you don't have to have anything special to take good photographs, but it's what started the aforementioned derailing conversations, so I'll list it first. Talk about your camera(/lenses/etc) or the one(s) you want, what you like or dislike about it/them, etc.

2) Experience. What kind of photographer do you consider yourself to be? Amateur/Hobbiest/Semi-pro/Pro/Etc. Why do you enjoy it? What are your favorite subjects to shoot?

3) Technique. Any input you have as to how to take 'good' shots or how you approach it. This is meant to be beyond the obvious like 'fill the frame' (rule #1). This can relate to the actual shooting, post-production work or whatever.

4) Show off. Show us your work. Talking is great, but especially with respect to this kind of subject, I'd really just like to see it. In contrast with the "here's me at the beach" type of shots found in the You thread, this is meant to be pictures you've taken that you're particularly proud of from an artistic/compositional/technique perspective. Post some pictures or links to pictures.

Anyone up for some discussion?

~PS

Jae
2008-06-22, 08:31 PM
I'd really love to see some peoples work! :smallsmile:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-22, 08:37 PM
Lol I was kinda thinking of making a thread like this a while back.

1) Crapload of stuff, no idea why I bought half of it. Canon 20D + Canon 350D (Rebel XT). Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm. 580EX + 430EX (two flashes is probably one of my better investments). Unless I'm shooting for a contract, I usually don't need anything other than a 20D and a 10-20.

2) Mostly self-taught amateur although I'm half-decent at it. Sometimes I shoot things like band promo shots and nightclubs, although mostly I do it for fun.

3) I'm against machine gunning.. don't press the shutter unless you know that's the shot you want. No point in having to sort through 500 shots of crap in a session. This is also why I don't like to shoot for money - most people want 50 crappy photos instead of 2-3 really good ones. Also, IMO, technique itself is a matter of personal style. I like to do street photo with ultrawides, or people's emotions (I want an 85/1.8 for this :frown:) by shooting close-ups of their faces.

4) About 10 of my better shots (http://club.foto.ru/gallery/photos/author.php?author_id=132108) (sorry that they're on a Russian site, but if you click them you'll get bigger versions). #3 and #4 are comission ones (I usually don't display them except on a paper portfolio as a courtesy to clients, I got permission for these ones though), the rest for fun.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-22, 08:40 PM
I think this thread has been made twice in arts and crafts...
Nonetheless a good thread since I am a amateur photographer...

Penguinsushi
2008-06-22, 09:15 PM
I think this thread has been made twice in arts and crafts...
Nonetheless a good thread since I am a amateur photographer...

Oops, sorry. :smallredface:

For some reason i didn't/wouldn't have thought to look there. Looks like i'm not the only one though.

@ Don Julio Anejo:

Gear questions: I have a Canon 40D: The 50mm 1.4 and the 430 flash are on my 'list of things i want'. Any particular experience or recommendation regarding them? Also looked at the Sigma 10-20. How's the barrel distortion on that one? (have you ever used it on a full-frame body? - it's probably not too bad on the 1.6 crop our cameras have...)

On the 'machine-gunning' thing - i agree, but i also have developed the philosophy that any shot worth taking is worth taking two or three of. This might be a limitation of my own technique, but sometimes i'll notice that i was slightly more steady on one of the shots, or that the subject moved slightly, etc.

Also, nice shots. I particularly like the dock/pier one and the guy on the beach. (sorry, can't read russian for titles...)

~PS

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-22, 09:32 PM
50/1.4 I love. Great lens, especially for the money, the only complaint is that it's a bit long as your main lens, although works great for portraits, either full body (half of those shots were made with my 50, including the guy on the beach). Kinda too short for facial close ups though. If I had to go back, I would get a 35L and an 85/1.8 instead of the 50 + Tamron, but mostly because I'm realizing I don't like zoom lenses (I spend too much time fiddling with the angle I want and not enough taking pictures).

Sigma 10-20 I can't really compare with anything, the closest equivalent I had to it was the kit. Barrel distortion is negligible on 17+mm, although there's quite a bit on 10mm. Still better than any equivalent as far as I know, including the Canon 10-22 (except the full-frame Sigma 12-24). I never used it on a FF body, although my friend uses it on his 1d Mark II (1.3x crop) and he swears there's no vignetting or anything (except on 10mm on f/4). It's a crop lens though, so obviously there's going to be tons of vignetting on full frame until I'd guess ~16-17mm.

Penguinsushi
2008-06-22, 09:55 PM
Cool, cool. I've heard good things about the 50mm. From what i shoot i tend to like the telephoto range much more than wide, so i don't think the length will be too bad for me. I can see where it would hamper you though.

So yeah, I guess i should answer my own questions:

1) I have a Canon 40D (which is *wonderful*) & a 28-135 IS USM lens - which is pretty darn good for a 'kit' lens. It's going to be a while till i can afford it, but I'm looking to get a nice (L series, if possible) telephoto (probably the 100-400 IS), wide angle (looking at the 16-35 2.8L) and a standard wide-aperture prime (the 50mm 1.4 is the current pick). I'd also like a half-decent flash, like the 430. I'd have some fun with a good macro lens, but that's pretty far down on the list.

2) I'm a total amateur/hobbiest, but once i pick up a hobby, i tend to research the heck out of it and i consider myself to be fairly informed at this point. Maybe. On a good day.
I like to shoot wildlife, natural scenes and still-life. Kids & pets are also fun. I get a little self-conscious when taking shots of people :smallconfused:.

3) I don't have much to add here - honestly i was/am looking to pick up some helpful tips...

4) I've taken quite a few shots that I think are decent, but few that I think are truly 'good' or worth showing off. Here are some of my current favorites.

this one was taken this afternoon, actually...
http://www.penguinsushi.com/pages/Gallery/images/albums/Animals/photo_062208_01.JPG

love the lighting here
http://www.penguinsushi.com/pages/Gallery/images/albums/Plants%20and%20Flowers/photo_032108_18.JPG

our beagle, ally - one of my favorite subjects
http://www.penguinsushi.com/pages/Gallery/images/albums/Pets/Ally%20Lounging%20II.JPG

fun with slow shutter speeds + water
http://www.penguinsushi.com/pages/Gallery/images/albums/Scenery/photo_0401_05.JPG

doesn't show off sheri's lilies too much, but i liked the artistic angle of the fallen petals below...
http://www.penguinsushi.com/pages/Gallery/images/albums/Plants%20and%20Flowers/photo_061508_01.JPG

~PS

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-22, 10:19 PM
IMO there's no point for a 16-35 on a crop body. It's an awesome ultrawide on full frame, but it's closer to a walk-around on 1.6x but at the same time not long enough to be one. 16 isn't that wide compared to 10 (the difference is about the same as between 85 and 200, A LOT more stuff fits in these 6mm). I've heard great things about 16-35 II though. 430EX is fine as long as you don't machine-gun action shots, the recharge time is pretty slow compared to the 580 (I'd say 3 seconds for a full power charge compared to 1.5), but it doesn't really matter. Full power on either flash is enough to illuminate a big hall like a church when it's pitch black. You won't need the 580 unless you do nightclubs anyway or you want 2+ flashes to do studio shots, but in this case it's probably cheaper to buy a set of cheapo studio lights, which will also be easier to use.

As for 3), what exactly are you looking for? Things like angles are more a matter of figuring out what kind of pictures you would like to get and then figuring out how to get them. I did it through trial and error mostly. They probably teach this in more advanced composition classes but I never had the opportunity to take them. Machine gunning - I mean not shooting everything you see. Of course it's a good idea to take repeats of the same shot. On one you might get closed eyes, on another a weird facial expression or an open mouth, on a third one you might not focus where you want, etc.

Although the thing that helped me most - don't clutter up the photograph. Cleaner is better. That is, try not to have details that detract from the main subject. If you're shooting a guy in the park, make sure there's no carnival behind him, or if there is, blur it out using aperture or a different angle. Only show what you want to show and nothing else.

More specific ones - don't center your subject or the horizon. 90% of the time it looks plain ugly, although that's my experience since I don't shoot things like macro. Obviously doesn't apply when you're going for symmetry (looks cool). Pronounced asymmetry also looks cool (everything is symmetrical except one element that doesn't quite fit in). Etc.

PS: Love the waterfall.

Ego Slayer
2008-06-22, 11:58 PM
Oh, hey... I bet if we left this thread in FB instead of shipping it off to A&C, it'd last longer than every other photography thread that's ever been put there. :smallyuk:

Okay, time to complain.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi. Penguin, I'm assuming there is little or NO editing to the photos you posted... And I'd hope that with a 40D (holy crap, man... I'd kill for one of those!), you really would get perfect, rich colour. I can't get that, or rarely do. If I'm shooting in anything but sunlight (or flash), the colour is totally messed up. Usually things get red. Trying to shoot something purple, it comes out red. It's on auto settings for white balance, so it's not like I've made an error. It's been suggested that it's just the way the camera is. Doesn't always go screwy, but too often the colour is off or dull. :smallsigh:

I'd kill for a 10-20mm. I was looking at getting the Sigma, but ended up buying a 100mm macro instead. I don't remember what exactly the 10-20mm would translate to on the Rebel, though... something bigger... which kind of kicks the whole point of it in the butt.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-23, 01:18 AM
Oh, hey... I bet if we left this thread in FB instead of shipping it off to A&C, it'd last longer than every other photography thread that's ever been put there. :smallyuk:
I would assume different people hang out in different parts of the forum. I registered so I could talk about the comic, now I just stick to FB and sometimes media. A lot of other people do the same.

If I'm shooting in anything but sunlight (or flash), the colour is totally messed up. Usually things get red. Trying to shoot something purple, it comes out red. It's on auto settings for white balance, so it's not like I've made an error.
I'm sorry to say this, but that's exactly where the problem is. Unfortunately cameras aren't terribly accurate when it comes to WB (only works well in flash mode because flash is usually bright enough to kill any ambient light, so the camera sets the WB in flash mode). I gave up on using anything automatic because you end up spending way too much time fighting your camera and not enough time actually doing photography. Shoot in RAW and manually set the WB yourself if the presets don't cut it (there's a big difference even between auto-WB and a preset like "daylight" or "tungsten," open a picture in RAW and click on the different settings, you'll see a difference on most shots). Only then convert to jpeg. Or at the very least, use presets.

Also, cameras don't give rich color, unless you use a low-end Nikon (like a D40) on automatic settings in JPEG (which was designed this way since "average" people think a great shot is where everything is in focus and very colorful and vibrant and oversaturated). I hate to say this, but it's photoshop that gives rich color. More specifically, curves. There's tutorials on the web for this (sorry, can't give you link :frown: I learned this pretty haphazardly and never bookmarked anything). Also, as far as I know, a 40D and an XTi have the same sensor, just the 40D has a better chip and filter on the sensor so the colors look better.

I'd kill for a 10-20mm. I was looking at getting the Sigma, but ended up buying a 100mm macro instead. I don't remember what exactly the 10-20mm would translate to on the Rebel, though... something bigger... which kind of kicks the whole point of it in the butt.
A 16-32 on the rebel. Just remember, the widest it gets on full frame is a 14mm prime. Which costs something like 3 grand. Otherwise, it's awesome. If you don't think so, go to your nearest camera store and fool around with it.

Amotis
2008-06-23, 02:38 AM
1) Asahi Pentax K1000, 35mm SLR, SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm Lens, Gemini MC Zoom, 1:4.5, and some crappy Vivitar electronic flash. It's the very basic set up but I'm experimenting with brands and types of film. Trying to find a nice washy/cloudy/surf-y color film right now. Manuel set up because it's what I can afford.

2. Amateur. I took two years of classes. I'm purely analog though, so I don't know a lot about what you guys are talking about. :P

3. I guess I take my camera everywhere and I'm a young person so I go lots of...off-the-beaten-path places which can mean some pretty unique and beautiful/ugly shots. And sometimes you don't shoot anything. I like candidness. And point of view shots.

4. Wish I could but I don't film scanner (yet). Maybe I'll try to find a scanner this week and scan some pics that I have on hand.

Penguinsushi
2008-06-23, 06:22 AM
@ Don Julio: on the 16-35mm lens: Yeah, i see your point, but i was approaching it from a more subjective perspective: i.e., I can only back out to 28mm now - 16 would give me 12mm more... I actually started out looking for a super wide prime, but discovered my options were surprisingly limited there. Still, you've probably changed my mind. The only things that keep me from being sure are 1) if i ever upgrade to a full-frame body (pretty major if), i'd like to be able to take lens investments with me and 2) the 16-35 does open up a full stop wider than the sigma 10-12. Still, I like the idea of ultra wide - particularly if distortion is minimal - and this seems like a good reason to shave about $1000 off what i'd need to save.

On machine gunning: oooooh. I see what you mean. Strangely, if you'd said 'shotgun' approach, i would have caught on sooner. Heh. But yeah, i agree.

On centering: That's a good point - 70+% of the time your subject will look better slightly off-center. Still, i've come to temper that rule down to 'Are you sure you want to center this?'. The pear tree blossoms i posted above look much better (to me) centered than the shots i have of bunches that are off-center. Just the shape of the bunches and the background elements made that more pleasing to me. The dragonfly, I'll admit, is centered primarily because i was having a hard time focusing on the little bugger.

@ Ego: Actually, yes - those pictures have little or no editing to them - but i do have my camera 'picture style' set very deliberately. The only pictures there that have any tweaks at all are the first & last - which i believe have some minor adjustments to saturation and contrast (particularly the dragonfly, since i was trying to keep him from fading into the background as much as possible). Color for me has been pretty accurate - i haven't had the problem of having purples come out red or anything like that, but I didn't have that problem on a friends XT either. As Don Julio pointed out, check your white balance. That'll save you.

The 40D's sensor is a bit different from the one on the digital rebel - specifically, it includes 14 A/D conversion - and the image processor is a (theoretical) upgrade (DIGIC III vs DIGIC II). I have noticed that i like the color/contrast more on my camera than on the XT (I've not shot much with an XTi). Still, it's probably more settings/optics than the camera's tech.

@ Amotis: Film photography is awesome. Do you do your own darkroom work? Sadly, i'm not patient or talented enough for film - i'm still learning a lot and i need to be able to see the shot i took right after i take it. Digital is great for that. Hats off to you though. You should definitely find a scanner & show us.

~PS

randman22222
2008-06-23, 07:00 AM
1) I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC50 for digital photos. I've forgotten just about all of its specs, though.

For film, I use an ancient, but incredible Mamiya NC1000S. I believe it's the only 35mm camera they've made. It's full manual, nothing is automatic, so I learned about F-stop, shutter speed, etc. on it. I still think I take better pictures with it than some modern Canons I've used...

2) Amateur. I don't take that many pictures, typically only when we go somewhere where there'll be good photos to be taken. I know how to compose pictures, and I can recognize where a good photo can be taken, but I just don't that often.

3) One little trick I do that seems to work when I'm taking picture of individuals is that I try to focus on them less, and the background more, just without cutting anybody out of the picture. For some reason this always makes the individuals stand out from the background. And makes the photo look nicer.

4) Nothing to show off at the moment. I shall be back with photos, though. I have a couple of the Liwa desert here in the United Arab Emirates up on the You Thread. You can look there if you like.

Amotis
2008-06-23, 09:47 PM
@ Amotis: Film photography is awesome. Do you do your own darkroom work? Sadly, i'm not patient or talented enough for film - i'm still learning a lot and i need to be able to see the shot i took right after i take it. Digital is great for that. Hats off to you though. You should definitely find a scanner & show us.

If I can I sure do! I do enjoy all the darkroom stuff. It's sorta an intimacy thing too. I learned all the techniques and styles back when I took the classes and I do know a few people with darkrooms that will yet me use them when I can get there. So it happens sometimes.

I don't think it's not a patient or talent issue. I don't believe in the line between digital and film that much. It's different but nothing involving skill or creativity. I do like film because I kinda enjoy the amateur aesthetic. I like shooting/developing sloppy/unusual sometimes. Kinda like seeing yourself and everyday stuff inside the pictures. Relatable stuff, I suppose. And relative too, I guess.

SDF
2008-06-24, 03:43 AM
1) Gear: Pentax Medium Format 645NII. Zoom and wide angle lense, stupidly big flash, and a bunch of other random accessories. I've been thinking of getting a Canon 5D for a nice digital one, but I haven't had the time/money.

2) Experience. Probably a hobbiest. I often use the uni's darkroom when I have time and feel like it, but I'm sure as most film people will tell you developing color is much more expensive and really difficult to do. (darkroom temperatures, required chemicals, ect.)

3) Technique. I believe someone mentioned how they dislike taking loads of pictures. That is exactly what I do. I don't snap away with total disregard, but on a roll of 30 I might get 28 fairly good shots, and 2 great ones. With film cameras the film is relatively cheap, but prints are expensive.

4) Show off. It's a medium format film camera, and I've never been able to find a scanner that makes any of my shots look close to how they do when developed. ~_~

Dispozition
2008-06-24, 04:31 AM
Gear: Pentax K100D Super. 18-50mm lens, 70-300mm lens. 2gb SD card...That's about it :P
Oooh, Photoshop as well. I have to tweak the levels in pretty much every photo I take. I don't exactly have a high end camera :(
Someone remind me to get a tripod as well...Please...

Experience: Amateur, for sure. I take photos if the opportunity arises, but I don't go out of my way to get them.

Technique: Put it this way...200 shots, 20 good photos :P I generally try and take better ones, and not just randomly snap, but it does sometimes happen. I suppose that's the beauty of a digital camera.

Show off:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/BarnOwl02.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/Dingo00.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/Wallaby00.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/skyredcroplvl.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/soccerlvld.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/BeardedDragon00.jpg

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-24, 04:38 AM
Woohoo, Diz and his awesomnes are in da house!
I'l check for what camera I have tonight.

V I have already taken a photography with film thingy. Did you all know that Film originated from the dutch word : Film, which actually means movie?
V
V Yes, I ment that as a compliment Dis, still you are awesome.

Icewalker
2008-06-24, 04:39 AM
I'm taking Digital Photography for art next year to get my necessary art credit.

Dispozition
2008-06-24, 04:41 AM
Woohoo, Diz and his awesomnes are in da house!
I'l check for what camera I have tonight.

Thanks? But PenguinSushi is a lot better than I am :P

randman22222
2008-06-24, 05:52 AM
I need help!

My 200mm lens for my Mamiya died. And the camera is ancient, and uses its own unique lens mount (NC Bayonet is what it's called...). I need to find some manufacturer or somewhere to buy a new telephoto lens, and just all sorts of lenses in general for my Mamiya. It's a fairly rare camera, and it takes amazing photos, so I don't want to have to get rid of it.

Penguinsushi
2008-06-24, 08:56 AM
Thanks? But PenguinSushi is a lot better than I am :P

Riiiiiight. Thanks tons for the compliment - really (:smallsmile:), but i'm sure i'm on the low end of continuum here. I've only really been into this for less than a year. Learned a lot, but i still have a long way to go. For every shot i think is good, i have at *least* 20 that are mediocre to obviously flawed.

I do envy your location somewhat it seems - i love shooting animals/wildlife, but i haven't been out anywhere where there's anything very interesting, and we don't have the kinds of things you do up here. That owl is *beautiful* and the iguana (?) shot, while a little soft, is very nice.

Also, i'm very impressed with your football/soccer shot. I suck at action photography. Bad.

~PS

Ego Slayer
2008-06-24, 11:48 AM
Btw, the dragonfly picture you've got there, PS, is a Slaty Skimmer (or at least that's my very educated deduction :P). In case you didn't know... it was bothering me until I found out myself, anyway. :smalltongue:

I could kill the thread with tons of dragonfly photos, but I won't. :P

Now... film photography. :smallsigh: I've got my mom's good 'ol Minolta X-7A, and a couple boxes of slide film, and I'm still afraid to use it! I'm used to being able to say "no, that's bad" and hit delete. I know how to use it technically (and use the digital as though I don't have auto settings or auto focus anyway:P), but it's so damn expensive to get crappy pictures developed. No, I haven't got a darkroom. >.>

I guess I'll put a few here.:smallsigh:
Proud to say that the first two underwent no editing. :P
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs17/f/2007/146/9/7/Iris_II_by_EgoSlayer.jpg
http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs15/f/2007/087/8/1/Bud_by_EgoSlayer.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs15/f/2007/063/5/f/Smoke_III_by_EgoSlayer.jpg
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/5092/d4sb4.jpg

I do have a dA site, if anyone cares to see anything else. www.egoslayer.deviantart.com

Darken Rahl
2008-06-24, 11:57 AM
1) Gear. Nikon D70. I love it, but I have a bad habit of not taking really good care of it. My lenses are never clean, and I have dented my Polarizer. :(

2) Experience. Amateur. I love portraiture and nature photography.

3) Technique. Shoot more, but be more selective in what you present.

4) Show off. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/449227535_0ca05f4e43.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/445941662_fc24d6082c.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/448153420_d4c83fbc5f.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2115785411_d988027d2a.jpg?v=0

Penguinsushi
2008-06-24, 01:21 PM
@ Ego: Haha. Thanks! I wasn't sure what it was, but there were a ton of them flying around the ponds in erwin where we were walking on sunday. There were some other, more colorful ones too - but they wouldn't let me get close enough to them (punks). One more reason i can't wait to be able to afford a nice, long telephoto. I like your dragonfly shots (on DA) :smallsmile: I'm interested as to how you got them to be so tight and close. Are the pics cropped, do you have a long lens for those kinds of shots, or did they just let you get that close?

Very nice macros! I've always thought macro was cool - you can do some really interesting things with common subjects. I don't suppose you're planning on bringing that lens to the meetup? :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, the 'Oslo sunset II' picture is *awesome*. You've got some really nice stuff up there.

@ Darken Rahl: I love that shot of the window & boots - though i can't really articulate why. It's very earthy...or something. The clock is pretty cool too.

I need to get out more. 90% of my shots are of my wife's flowers or whatever happens into our yard. :smallconfused:

I'm really enjoying seeing all the photos here. :smallsmile:

~PS

Ego Slayer
2008-06-24, 01:33 PM
@ Ego: Haha. Thanks! I wasn't sure what it was, but there were a ton of them flying around the ponds in erwin where we were walking on sunday. There were some other, more colorful ones too - but they wouldn't let me get close enough to them (punks). One more reason i can't wait to be able to afford a nice, long telephoto. I like your dragonfly shots (on DA) :smallsmile: I'm interested as to how you got them to be so tight and close. Are the pics cropped, do you have a long lens for those kinds of shots, or did they just let you get that close?

Very nice macros! I've always thought macro was cool - you can do some really interesting things with common subjects. I don't suppose you're planning on bringing that lens to the meetup? :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Thanks. :smallsmile: Getting them to sit so nicely for me? I cheat. :smalltongue: I've done a lot of work with dragonflies and naturalists, so a lot of the shots are from being out in the field. So, first comes catching the damn things, and then, usually, comes dunking them in water if you've actually got them from a river/pond. The water kind of shocks them and cools them off, so they're fine with sitting nicely somewhere. In my experience, especially with the large dragonflies, you're lucky to get close enough to net it in the first place. Sometimes just from being handled they'll sit nicely after.

I wasn't totally sure if I was going to be bringing my camera, since it's always a bit much to haul around if you're not specifically out for photos, but I guess I should bring it. :smalltongue:

Penguinsushi
2008-06-24, 02:42 PM
Thanks. :smallsmile: Getting them to sit so nicely for me? I cheat. :smalltongue: I've done a lot of work with dragonflies and naturalists, so a lot of the shots are from being out in the field. So, first comes catching the damn things, and then, usually, comes dunking them in water if you've actually got them from a river/pond. The water kind of shocks them and cools them off, so they're fine with sitting nicely somewhere. In my experience, especially with the large dragonflies, you're lucky to get close enough to net it in the first place. Sometimes just from being handled they'll sit nicely after.

I wasn't totally sure if I was going to be bringing my camera, since it's always a bit much to haul around if you're not specifically out for photos, but I guess I should bring it. :smalltongue:

Hehe. Whatever works - sounds like that method takes some dedication.

Eh, if it's a hassle and you don't figure you'd use it, i wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure there will be more than enough pictures of the occasion in any case. I would be willing to bribe you with cookies or something if you'll let me play a little with your macro lens though... :smallbiggrin:

~PS

Jack Squat
2008-06-24, 04:18 PM
1) I use a cheaptastic Canon Powershot A540 (my brothers), have an underwater case for it. I'd like to bum my mom's Nikon D70 (I think) more, but with the cases being about $800, I think I'll wait. I'll also settle for my brother to get some strobes. Yeah yeah, I should get my own stuff, but I've got so big a list o' things to buy, that a camera's pretty low on it.

2) I'm definetly an amateur...don't get out enough or want to study light charts and stuff enough to get loads better.

3) I find the best things to do with pictures is just go with what feels right. I've got an article in this latest issue of SCUBA Diving that basically says the same thing; that luck is normally what causes the best shots. Not that I'm near an authority on the subject

4) I don't remember which of these are mine, and which are my brother's, but either way they were loaded from the camera onto my computer. Some have been touched up a little with Picasa, because I'm cheap and don't feel like buying a photopshop that'll work on Vista.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/IMG_0151.jpg This was barely large enough to get a shot, probably 3-4 inches tall. Taken at Blue Grotto (I think) in Chiefland, FL. March 15th, 2008

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/devilsden.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/devilsden2.jpg

This is in a spring, again in Chiefland, FL. Place is called Devil's Den. Taken the day before the others

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/IMG_0255.jpg

Virgin Falls near Sparta, TN. Taken April 12th-ish

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jacksquat3/IMG_0260.jpg

The top of the falls.

Any tips from people better than me (meaning everybody)?

Ego Slayer
2008-06-24, 09:01 PM
@PS -
Oh, well... if you want to play with the macro, then I'll bring it! :smallbiggrin:

Penguinsushi
2008-06-24, 10:37 PM
@PS -
Oh, well... if you want to play with the macro, then I'll bring it! :smallbiggrin:

*happy penguin dance* :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

You are officially my hero. What kind of cookies do you like?

~PS

Dispozition
2008-06-25, 01:28 AM
Riiiiiight. Thanks tons for the compliment - really (:smallsmile:), but i'm sure i'm on the low end of continuum here. I've only really been into this for less than a year. Learned a lot, but i still have a long way to go. For every shot i think is good, i have at *least* 20 that are mediocre to obviously flawed.

I do envy your location somewhat it seems - i love shooting animals/wildlife, but i haven't been out anywhere where there's anything very interesting, and we don't have the kinds of things you do up here. That owl is *beautiful* and the iguana (?) shot, while a little soft, is very nice.

Also, i'm very impressed with your football/soccer shot. I suck at action photography. Bad.

~PS

I've been doing this for about a year as well, but the actual time I've spent pursuing it in the slightest is probably less than a few months :P

As for location, all the animal ones were taken on a biology excursion. I really don't get anything like that closer than an hours drive away. The owl is my favourite, the lizard is a Bearded Dragon and the soccer shot was in America. I agree, action shots are very hard to get. I was lucky it was really sunny that day :P

Amotis
2008-06-25, 02:13 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/448153420_d4c83fbc5f.jpg?v=0

I likes. Sorta an urban exploration thing going on. Love how the shopping cart kinda matches the sky color coming through the window and the juxtaposition between clear blank white light on the wall and a more crowded textured darker table. Really great shot.

Nice camera, sdf. Musta cost a bunch tho. :P Wish I had one like it.

Darken Rahl
2008-06-25, 10:39 AM
I likes. Sorta an urban exploration thing going on. Love how the shopping cart kinda matches the sky color coming through the window and the juxtaposition between clear blank white light on the wall and a more crowded textured darker table. Really great shot.

Nice camera, sdf. Musta cost a bunch tho. :P Wish I had one like it.

Thanks, Amotis. I took that in a dilapidated slaughter house that has since been torn down to make room for a modular home.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-29, 07:36 PM
Okay, I decided to resurrect this thread by putting my pictures in here :amused::

http://club.foto.ru/gallery/images/photo/2008/01/02/1016423.jpg

http://i057.radikal.ru/0806/0b/4d12cba7802f.jpg

http://club.foto.ru/gallery/images/photo/2008/01/03/1016929.jpg

http://club.foto.ru/gallery/images/photo/2008/01/04/1017440.jpg

http://i054.radikal.ru/0806/42/47dfa29dfdc8.jpg

http://i081.radikal.ru/0806/53/459cf5f3c102.jpg

Color version of the photo above, I still don't know which one I like better.
http://i070.radikal.ru/0806/cf/7f0b4f46d015.jpg

http://i072.radikal.ru/0806/ab/208256cf738d.jpg

http://i052.radikal.ru/0806/3c/150c49283847.jpg

PS: I'm sorry if they stretch your screen.. :frown:

Darken Rahl
2008-06-30, 03:58 PM
I really like the one with the scarved dude on the beach. It's like a still from a good art house flick.

LightWraith
2008-06-30, 04:14 PM
I am very much new to the actual photography business, but I'm enjoying learning :smallsmile:

I shoot with a Nikon D40X, with either a Nikkor 18-55mm or a Nikkor 55-200mm with VR.

I've taken quite a few pictures, most of them are at my Photobucket gallery.

A few of my favorites:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj302/Wraith28k/DSC_0005grayscale.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj302/Wraith28k/DSC_0012.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj302/Wraith28k/DSC_0110.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj302/Wraith28k/GitP%20Southeast%20Meetup%202008/Saturday/DSC_0152.jpg

I need to practice more, haven't had much time lately.

Agamid
2008-06-30, 09:24 PM
Gear: I shoot mainly with my Nikkomat F and Nikkormat FTN, though i also posses an other Nikon (the model of which escapes me right now), a box brownie and two little digi-point and shoots at i use for snaps... oh and two polaroids, though film for them is getting SO hard to find.
My dad wants to get me a rollie and my friend is going to give me an imitation leica. I wouldn't mind having a holga and i really want my dad's speed graphlex press camera.

Experience: I'm self-taught. Sure, i studied photography at school, but i just learned to basics from that, everything else i discovered by trial and error or watching other photographers or looking at their work.

Technique: I'm one of those photographers, like Max Dupain actually, who will just take a shot 'cause it looks good and can't tell you the techniques used. "Sure i used a filter... but like hell i know which one... not like i record things or anything..."
I can rant on forever and a day about darkroom technique though. LOVE the darkroom, and miss having one so much.

Show off:
Some of my favourites:

Pink and Blue :: 002

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs28/f/2008/171/4/5/4544e2f290fe02d7acff0b7288d6ebc5.jpg

Computer Graveyard

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/171/2/9/29c37841c27e4ece53dda87043038964.jpg

St_Ignatius

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/122/e/6/St_Ignatius_by_Armenius.jpg

Dragon Eggs

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/126/d/0/Dragon_Eggs_1_by_Armenius.jpg

Grey Tones 1

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/227/3/8/Grey_tones_1_by_Armenius.jpg

I have too many favourites... so i'll stop there... my deviantart page is linked as my webpage i believe - if people wanted to see more.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 08:18 AM
Technique: I'm one of those photographers, like Max Dupain actually, who will just take a shot 'cause it looks good and can't tell you the techniques used. "Sure i used a filter... but like hell i know which one... not like i record things or anything..."
I can rant on forever and a day about darkroom technique though. LOVE the darkroom, and miss having one so much.

I have the exact same thing!

Hoggy
2008-07-01, 09:46 AM
Just flicked through your deviantart Agamid, there's some cool pics.

One of my best mates does photography (http://www.artfromcornwall.co.uk/VincentTaylorPhotography/Home.htm), but I personally don't. I enjoy it, but don't have enough money for a decent camera, thus limiting myself to a 2mpx sony-erricson phone camera which takes crappy photos (http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2606/dsc00433vk1.jpg). I wish I had a decent camera though, there's some nice locations around here.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 12:08 PM
*slays and smites all people who use phone cameras*

Hoggy
2008-07-01, 12:37 PM
Yeah, well, buy me a decent camera then. :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-01, 01:44 PM
Where do you live? If its reasonably close, I'l send you a throw-away camera, even those are better then phone camaras.

Hoggy
2008-07-01, 02:05 PM
I live too far away. And I can get hold of disposable cameras very easy, but I don't have a scanner, and it saves me the effort of getting them developed.

Amotis
2008-07-06, 11:27 PM
Bump. I scanned some photos through a friend's scanner. Quality suffered a bit but I like what it added. They need a run through photoshop to find some tiny details but here's a few that I had in my car (and that were gitp appropriate).

Kitchen Zen
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/kitchenzen.jpg

postsurfshine
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/postsurfshine.jpg

Nature Vomit
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/naturevomit.jpg

Our Hero
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/ourhero.jpg

A favorite, gonna use it for an album cover if the others are okay with it:
Untitled
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/amotis/untitled.jpg

Dispozition
2008-08-01, 04:45 AM
Since making a new thread is actually really stupid, I may as well revive this one. It hasn't been a month, so it should be okish...

Went into town today on an excursion, got a few decent photos.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/sexycar.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/beenthereseenthat.jpg

This one had to be bigger, just so it looked nice :P
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Photos/artmuseumarty.jpg

Felixaar
2008-08-01, 09:15 PM
Oooh, I promise to get some of my photos up in a week or so. And I'll brag on and on about how good I am too.

randman22222
2008-08-04, 04:41 AM
I have a question:

You know how digital cameras slightly warp the image you take? Do digital SLRs do that as well? And why do digital cameras warp pictures?

Dispozition
2008-08-04, 05:27 AM
I have a question:

You know how digital cameras slightly warp the image you take? Do digital SLRs do that as well? And why do digital cameras warp pictures?

What do you mean by warp? I don't really see any warp in any photos I've taken with my DSLR or my normal digital...

randman22222
2008-08-04, 05:41 AM
No, it's always subtle, but digital cameras will slightly distort images towards the sides.

Read here (http://www.dcviews.com/tutors-t.htm?tt55811) on distortion in digital cameras...

Dispozition
2008-08-04, 05:55 AM
No, it's always subtle, but digital cameras will slightly distort images towards the sides.

Read here (http://www.dcviews.com/tutors-t.htm?tt55811) on distortion in digital cameras...

Well, no offence, but why are you asking us? Since you seem to know already...

randman22222
2008-08-04, 05:56 AM
Oh... well... Now I know about distortion and its causes, but I still don't know if it occurs in SLRs. That was my original question.

Dispozition
2008-08-04, 06:00 AM
Fair enough then...I'd take a stab that it wouldn't appear in DSLRs because the lenses are essentially the same as normal SLRs, which it doesn't seem to affect...