PDA

View Full Version : Slaad, Eat Your Heart Out [Creature]

The Demented One
2008-06-22, 09:22 PM
Aani’vaad’vaalaa

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs30/300W/i/2008/173/3/a/Aani__vadd__vaalaa_by_Nny2.jpg
Picture by Krimm Blackleaf

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaos, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 (102 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +10 touch), touch 10, flatfooted 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+23
Attack: Tongue +18 melee (1d10+7)
Full Attack: Tongue +18 melee (1d10+7) and Bite +12 melee (2d6+3) and 4 Claws +12 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (15 ft. with tongue)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole, viscerae
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/law, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to acid and sonic, madspawn, resistance to cold 15, electricity 15, and fire 15, spell resistance 20
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +5
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 4, Wis 1, Cha 16
Skills: Intimidate +18, Listen +10, Search +12, Sense Motive +10, Spot +10
Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Tongue), Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will, Improved Initiative
Environment: Limbo
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 13-20 HD (Large), 21-30 HD (Huge), 31-36 HD (Gargantuan), 37-40 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

While the most well-known exemplars of chaos are the Slaadi, they are hardly the only ones. The shifting chaos of Limbo is home to older beings born of a purer chaos, free of the patterns forced upon the Slaadi by the strict system of color and caste imposed upon them by the Spawning Stone. Aani’vaad’vaalaa are some of the ancient beings of primordial chaos that roam Limbo. Dim-minded and bizarre in appearance, they wander the shifting terrain of Limbo in search of prey, feasting upon anything they find. Aani’vaad’vaalaa are vaguely reminiscent of a spider in form, their bodies being divided into a bulbous abdomen and a disproportionately large head, eyeless and single-nostriled. Aani’vaad’vaalaa have huge mouths full of a razor-sharp teeth, and a fifteen-foot long, tentacle-like tongue that is covered with tiny eyes. They have about a dozen limbs in a ring around their bodies, most of which are vestigial and useless–only about four are developed enough to hold objects or attack. Aani’vaad’vaalaa are surrounded by floating organs known as viscerae, extensions of their own being born from their own chaotic essence. Viscerae continously flit in and out of existence, and cause Aani’vaad’vaalaa to always have a lingering scent of blood and bile about them.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, an Aani’vaad’vaalaa must hit a Large or smaller creature with its tongue attack. If it gets a hold, it begins dragging the creature towards its mouth. In subsequent rounds, the Aani’vaad’vaalaa and the caught creature make opposed Strength checks. They both receive a +4 bonus for each size category larger than Medium they are, and a -4 penalty for each size category smaller than Medium (the Aani’vaad’vaalaa’s typical bonus is +11).

If the Aani’vaad’vaalaa wins the check, its drags its victim 1 square closer for every 5 points it won the check by, rounded up. If the victim wins the check, it breaks free. If the distance between the Aani’vaad’vaalaa and its victim is reduced to 0 ft., the Aani’vaad’vaalaa immediately makes a bite attack as a free action, and the target is considered grappled, losing its Dexterity bonus to AC.

Once a Aani’vaad’vaalaa hits an enemy of Large or smaller size with its bite attack, regardless of whether it dragged it with its tongue or not, it may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
An Aani’vaad’vaalaa can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Large or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 1d6+1 points of crushing damage plus 1d6+1 points of acid damage per round from the Aani’vaad’vaalaa digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 15 points of damage to the Aani’vaad’vaalaa’s digestive tract (AC 15). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. An Aani’vaad’vaalaa’s gullet can hold 1 Large, 2 Medium, 8 Small, or 32 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Viscerae (Ex)
Aani’vaad’vaalaa are surrounded by floating organs, generated from the pure chaos of their being, known as viscerae. The viscerae are pseudosentient extensions of the Aani’vaad’vaalaa, perceiving the world through its senses and controlled by it. Some viscerae have wide jaws, and use them to attack anything that comes to close to the Aani’vaad’vaalaa. Any creature that begins its turn within a Aani’vaad’vaalaa’s reach is attacked by one of the viscerae. They have an attack bonus of +10 and deal 1d8 damage. Viscerae cannot be targeted by attacks or spells, as they are part of the Aani’vaad’vaalaa, not truly separate creatures.

Madspawn (Ex)
Aani’vaad’vaalaa have minds that are completely alien, completely insane by mortal standards. They are immune to confusion or insanity-like effects, and are not affected by Wisdom damage, drain, or burn, or by penalties to Wisdom.

Bhu
2008-06-23, 03:10 AM
Now thats freaky. I'll have to use this on someone unsuspecting someday.

SOme minor quibbles:

Should be 102 hp

AC should be 20 (whats the touch bonus??)

Forgot –1 size modifier for attacks to hit rolls

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-23, 03:46 AM
Ahahahaa...

Ahahahahaha! HAHAHAHA!! Hah...ha...

Um, yes, carry on.

The Demented One
2008-06-23, 09:08 AM
Ahahahaa...

Ahahahahaha! HAHAHAHA!! Hah...ha...

Um, yes, carry on.
Glad you like her.

Debihuman
2008-06-23, 09:32 AM
I think the "touch" bonus to AC is actually "Natural"

The Swallow Whole ability is off. Large creatures cannot swallow other Large creatures. It can swallow 1 Medium, 2 Small, 8 Tiny, or 32 Diminutive or smaller creatures.

Advancement looks a bit wonky. I'm not exactly sure but normally HD should double at each size category. If the max at Large is 20, it should be 40 at Huge, 60 at Gargantuan and 61+ for Colossal.

Debby

Lappy9000
2008-06-23, 11:38 AM
Denizen of Limbo that's actually chaotic. Excellent!

dyslexicfaser
2008-06-23, 03:57 PM
I can't speak for the stats, but I like the concept you've got here quite a bit. The tongue lasso followed by swallow whole seems very cinematic, and being attacked by the beast's floating organs is appropriately creepy.

Very cool idea.

The Demented One
2008-06-23, 07:55 PM
I can't speak for the stats, but I like the concept you've got here quite a bit. The tongue lasso followed by swallow whole seems very cinematic, and being attacked by the beast's floating organs is appropriately creepy.

Very cool idea.
Credit for that's all Krimm's. He draws these crazy things, I just give them numbers.

Maerok
2008-06-23, 08:03 PM
This is madness! :smallbiggrin:

Cool critter you've got there. Seems like it could definitely make an impression.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-24, 03:25 AM
I think the reason it can consume creatures it's own size is because it's basically a pair of jaws and legs attached to the opening of an empty sack(there's a reason those organs are floating around instead of inside). So a large creature swallowed by it is basically stuck in a giant flesh-bag full of acid and bile.

mikeejimbo
2008-06-24, 07:05 PM
I think the reason it can consume creatures it's own size is because it's basically a pair of jaws and legs attached to the opening of an empty sack(there's a reason those organs are floating around instead of inside). So a large creature swallowed by it is basically stuck in a giant flesh-bag full of acid and bile.

That's what I thought.