PDA

View Full Version : George Carlin has passed on :(

Bhu
2008-06-23, 02:57 AM
Was released in the news this morning he died of heart failure.

The world has lost a good man.

Justyn
2008-06-23, 03:11 AM
Well, crap, 2008 is getting worse and worse...

I always liked this one of his:

"Think for a moment about the concept of the flamethrower. Okay? The flamethrower. Because we have them. Well, we don't have them, the army has them. That's right. We don't have any flamethrowers. I'd say we're f****d if we have to go up against the army, wouldn't you? But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way to far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them." Well, it might have ended right there, but he mentioned it to his friend. His friend who was good with tools. And about a month later, he was back. "Hey, quite a concept!" WHHOOOOOOOOSSHHH! And of course the army heard about it, and they came around. 'We'd like to buy about five hundred-thousand of them please. We have some people we'd like to throw flame on. Give us five hundred thousand and paint them dark brown. We don't want anyone to see them.'"

You shall be missed, sir.

BRC
2008-06-23, 03:12 AM
*Sigh*
He has passed on to that great comedy club in the sky. He and groucho marx are proably swapping dirty jokes as I type.

turkishproverb
2008-06-23, 03:39 AM
*Sigh*
He has passed on to that great comedy club in the sky. He and groucho marx are proably swapping dirty jokes as I type.

That is the single best obituary and well wishing any man could ever receive.

Nevrmore
2008-06-23, 08:28 AM
I can only hope that he did something enjoyable with his two minute warning.

*mourns*

smellie_hippie
2008-06-23, 08:32 AM
Goodbye George.

I grew up with your raunchy stand-up.
I enjoyed you even more with your frequent appearances in Kevin Smith films.
You will be *bleeping* missed.

May you never be censored again. :smallamused:

valadil
2008-06-23, 08:39 AM
Sadface. He was my favorite and I never got to see him perform live.

konfeta
2008-06-23, 09:18 AM
All the awesome people are dying lately. Seriously, what the hell?

DraPrime
2008-06-23, 09:45 AM
I can say nothing more than "oh ****"

hanzo66
2008-06-23, 10:19 AM
How come I feel that he's going to do well with Bill Hicks and Hunter S. Thompson?

SilentNight
2008-06-23, 10:21 AM
*Sigh*

Most Excellent. Anyone know how old he was?

hanzo66
2008-06-23, 10:23 AM
71 from what I know.

ghost_warlock
2008-06-23, 01:34 PM
:eek: :frown:

Words can't express...

Why, Joe Pesci, why!?

Premsyl
2008-06-23, 01:40 PM
The world's lost an extremely funny, awesome man. Rest In Peace, Rufus, dude.

Pwenet
2008-06-23, 04:18 PM
I shall raise a glass to you Mr. Carlin.

Thank you for the years of entertainment.

SurlySeraph
2008-06-23, 04:48 PM
:frown: And the really unjust thing is, he didn't even get to see executions by naked crucifixion during half-time at football games during his lifetime.

Well, there's only one way to honor Carlin's memory right... *grabs a sledgehammer, a bag of nails, timber, and a hypocrite* :smallamused:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-06-23, 05:11 PM
I'll raise a pint to the one last logical person in this world who just did not give a rats arse about PC; and I don't mean computers.

Uncle George, I shall miss thee. :frown:

Innis Cabal
2008-06-23, 05:48 PM
Its a sad day yes, these things come in three, i wonder who the third will be

RandomNPC
2008-06-23, 07:26 PM
Heath Ledger, Gary Gygax, now George Carlin.

i appologize if i messed up on the spelling of anything, but there's your three Innis,

If i read a joke about these things coming in fours, i'm going to slap someone through the internet, people will be amazed.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-23, 09:58 PM
it was a reference to heart faliure, not actor deaths. Tim Russert passed away June 13, there is (if the saying holds true) one more who will die of heart faliure.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-06-24, 01:24 AM
This is absolutely heart breaking... I'm not at all afraid to admit I've even teared up a bit. The man was a legend, a scholar, and one of the greatest comics this world could have been blessed with. First Kinison, then Hicks, now Carlin.
Another dead hero...

Lady Tialait
2008-06-24, 01:30 AM
And sayith my journal from 6th grade:

"And lo, great men shall die." that was about it. I was laughing too hard at Mr. Carlin's jokes...

ghost_warlock
2008-06-24, 01:19 PM
it was a reference to heart faliure, not actor deaths. Tim Russert passed away June 13, there is (if the saying holds true) one more who will die of heart faliure.

:smallconfused: The 'comes in threes' thing is sampling error (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_error).

Heart failure is a serious condition. About 5 million people in the U.S. have heart failure. It contributes to 300,000 deaths each year.
(source (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/heartfailure.html))

If you do some math, you'll find that those numbers work out to a bit more than 820 deaths per day due to heart failure.

I suppose you could (re?)define the category to 'actors who die of heart failure.' But you'll likely find more than three if you search a bit (especially if you search globally). Or, you could redefine your category to only include Western actors who die of heart failure, but you may end up with 4-7 anyway. So, you redefine the time period to this month, and so on...

"No lawyers think this."
<counter example>
"No American lawyers think this."
<counter example>
"No American lawyers from New York think this."
<counter example>
"No reputable American lawyers from New York think this."
<counter example>
"No reputable American lawyers from New York named Herbert think this."
<:smallconfused:>

Mr. Scaly
2008-06-24, 01:34 PM