PDA

View Full Version : Image resolution

sikyon
2008-06-23, 11:59 AM
Hey guys,

Do you know how to resize an image to a higher DPI? IE I have a 1800x1800 pixel image at 92dpi and I wish to increase the DPI by scaling the image size down. Anyone know how to do that?

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-23, 03:09 PM
:confused: What's the point? If you print it it'll still depend on how big exactly an image you're printing (6x6 will obviously have more dpi than 10x10). Online it doesn't matter at all, since everything is in pixels.

Trog
2008-06-23, 03:30 PM
Photoshop will do it. Or most other image editing programs.

Image resolution guidelines:
Online = 72 ppi
Newsprint = 190 ppi
Magazine = 266 ppi
Art Print = 300 ppi

sikyon
2008-06-23, 03:56 PM
I need to get them printed, which requires 300 dpi resolution on all images. I figured it out in photoshop. Thanks.

tyckspoon
2008-06-23, 05:19 PM
Do remember that upping the DPI count of an image that has already been downscaled won't do much, if anything, to improve its actual quality, which I imagine is at least a minor concern if you want a print of it. Ideally, if you have access to the original image, you would re-scan it with the scanner set to the higher DPI to start with.

sikyon
2008-06-23, 07:34 PM
Do remember that upping the DPI count of an image that has already been downscaled won't do much, if anything, to improve its actual quality, which I imagine is at least a minor concern if you want a print of it. Ideally, if you have access to the original image, you would re-scan it with the scanner set to the higher DPI to start with.

What I'm doing is exporting files from a digital program at dpi X printed images pixels and resizing them.