2008-06-23, 02:41 PM
Pirate (Base Class)

HD: d6
BAB: Rogue
Good saves: Fort, Reflex
Poor save: Will
Skill points: 6+Int
Class Skills:
Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope.

Thanks for the fixed table, Erikun

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special Abilities
1|+0|+2|+2|+0|AC Bonus, Bonus Feat
2|+1|+3|+3|+0|SA +1d6
3|+2|+3|+3|+1|Team Jitters
4|+3|+4|+4|+1|Pirate Training +1, Warning Shout
5|+3|+4|+4|+1|SA +2d6, Team Attack
6|+4|+5|+5|+2|Evasion
7|+5|+5|+5|+2|Distraction
8|+6|+6|+6|+2|Pirate Training +2, SA +3d6
9|+6|+6|+6|+3|Familiar
10|+7|+7|+7|+3|Pirate Captain
11|+8|+7|+7|+3|SA +4d6, Skill Focus
12|+9|+8|+8|+4|Captain Style, Pirate Training +3
13|+9|+8|+8|+4|Improved Evasion
14|+10|+9|+9|+4|Improved Warning Shout, SA +5d6
15|+11|+9|+9|+5|Improved Captain Style
16|+12|+10|+10|+5|Cannibalize, Pirate Training +4
17|+12|+10|+10|+5|SA +6d6
18|+13|+11|+11|+6|Advanced Captain Style
19|+14|+11|+11|+6|Advanced Warning Shout
20|+15|+12|+12|+6|SA +7d6, Trained Leader, Pirate Training +5[/table]

Proficiencies: Pirates are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as the hand crossbow. Pirates are proficient with light armor but not with shields.

Bonus Feat: A 1st level pirate choses either Weapon Finesse or Quick Draw as a bonus feat.

Team fighting (Ex): Pirates are adept at reading their allies to become more effective in combat. A teammate is any friendly or helpful character with whom a pirate has trained with for at least a week.

AC Bonus (Ex): A pirate gains a +1 bonus to AC for each teammate he can see, to a maximum of his wisdom modifier. He loses this bonus when wearing a shield or armor heavier than light.

Sneak Attack (Ex): As rogue, except the pirate gains his first Sneak Attack die at 2nd level and gains an additional die every 3 levels thereafter.

Team Jitters (Ex): At 3rd level, a pirate becomes quick to arms when his allies sense danger and can read an enemy's move on an ally's face. As long as at least one teammate the pirate can see is not flat-footed against a particular enemy, the pirate is not flat-footed against that enemy, either. He loses this bonus when wearing a shield or armor heavier than light.

Warning Shout (Ex): At 4th level, a pirate can warn an ally of impending danger. Once per combat, as an immediate action, when a teammate is targeted by an attack that the pirate is aware of, the teammate adds the pirate's Wisdom modifier as a dodge bonus to the teammate's AC or Reflex Saving Throw against that one attack. The teammate must be able to hear and understand the pirate for this effect to work.

Pirate Training (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a pirate adds 1/4th his level, rounded down, to Climb, Jump, Profession (Sailor), and Use Rope checks.

Team Attack (Ex): At 5th level, a pirate learns how to coordinate his attacks to help his alliesstrike clearer. The pirate grants his teammates a +4 bonus against flanked enemies (instead of the usual +2) when flanking. The pirate still receives the normal +2 bonus.

Evasion (Ex): At 6th level, a pirate gains Evasion. See the rogue class for details.

Distraction (Ex): At 7th level, when a pirate successfully feints against a foe, he may choose to transfer the benefits of the feint to one of his teammates. (The foe loses his dex bonus to AC against that teammate instead of against the pirate)

Familiar: At 9th level, a pirate can obtain a familiar as a sorcerer of his level. Though the Familiar can gain Teammate benefits, it does not count for the purposes of the pirate's AC Bonus.

Pirate Captain (Ex): At 10th level, a pirate is granted the title of Captain. The pirate is given command of a Longship or Caravel (each worth 10,000 gp), though he must still aquire crew through normal means.

Skill Focus: At 11th level, a pirate gains Skill Focus (Profession [Sailor]) as a bonus feat.

Captain Style (Ex): At 12th level, the Pirate chooses one of three styles of ship-to-ship combat and gains an ability based on that choice.
If the Pirate chooses the Boarding style, he adds twice his wisdom modifier (instead of the normal amount) on Profession (Sailor) checks to ram a ship or to initiate a ship to ship grapple.
If the Pirate chooses the Gunning style, he grants teammates a bonus to hit when using siege weaponry equal to his wisdom modifier.
If the Pirate chooses the Evasive style, when the pirate orders the Come About action, if he forces a new Advantage check, he adds twice his wisdom modifier (instead of the normal amount) to his Profession (Sailor) check to determine advantage.

Improved Evasion: At 13th level, a pirate gains Improved Evasion.

Improved Warning Shout (Ex): At 14th level, a pirate can use warning shout on a flat-footed teammate. In addition to the normal benefits, the teammate is no longer flat-footed. In addition, if the attack would allow a reflex saving throw, the pirate may use his Warning Shout on all teammates in the area as a single immediate action.

Improved Captain Style (Ex): At 15th level, the Pirate gains another ability based upon his previously chosen Captain Style.
If the Pirate chose the Boarding style, when he is aboard a ship commanded by an enemy, he grants teammates aboard the same vessel a bonus to damage equal to his wisdom modifier.
If the Pirate chose the Gunning style, he grants teammates a bonus to damage rolls when using siege weaponry equal to his wisdom modifier.
If the Pirate chose the Evasive style, when he makes a Profession (sailor) check to avoid a ram, grapple, or shear, he may add twice his wisdom bonus to the check (instead of the normal amount).

Cannibalize (Ex): At 16th level, a Pirate gains the ability to cannibalize other ships to help repair his own. Even when an enemy ship is destroyed, the pirate can gather its wreckage to obtain raw materials worth 1/5th the original cost of the ship, suitable for using in repairs on his vessel. Though these materials can be used, they can only be sold for half their value.

Advanced Captain Style (Ex): At 18th level, the Pirate gains another ability based upon his previously chosen Captain Style.
If the Pirate chose the Boarding style, he may attempt to initiate a ship to ship grapple from 40 feet away (instead of the usual 20).
If the Pirate chose the Gunning style, he grants teammates the benefit of the Improved Critical feat when using siege weaponry and allows them to deliver critical hits to objects.
If the Pirate chose the Evasive style, the pirate's ship gains a bonus to AC equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Advanced Warning Shout (Ex): At 19th level, when you use your Warning Shout to grant a bonus to reflex saves against an attack, all Teammates who receive the bonus gain Evasion against that attack. If the Teammate already had Evasion, he instead gains Improved Evasion against that attack. If the Teammate already had Improved Evasion, he gains an additional +2 to his reflex save.

Trained Leader (Ex): At 20th level, you may encourge your teammates to use tactics you have perfected. As a swift action, choose a feat that you have that can be taken as a fighter bonus feat. All your teammates within 60 feet that can see and hear you gain the benefits of that feat, provided they meet the prerequisites. If that feat is weapon specific, they may choose to gain the benefits for a different weapon. This effect remains until you use a swift action to change feats or are dazed, unconcious, stunned, paralyzed, or otherwise unable to be heard by your teammates.

erikun
2008-06-23, 06:29 PM
No comments, but I fixed your table.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special Abilities
1|+0|+2|+2|+0|AC Bonus, Bonus Feat
2|+1|+3|+3|+0|SA +1d6
3|+2|+3|+3|+1|Team Jitters
4|+3|+4|+4|+1|Pirate Training +1, Warning Shout
5|+3|+4|+4|+1|SA +2d6, Team Attack
6|+4|+5|+5|+2|Evasion
7|+5|+5|+5|+2|Distraction
8|+6|+6|+6|+2|Pirate Training +2, SA +3d6
9|+6|+6|+6|+3|Familiar
10|+7|+7|+7|+3|Pirate Captain
11|+8|+7|+7|+3|SA +4d6, Skill Focus
12|+9|+8|+8|+4|Captain Style, Pirate Training +3
13|+9|+8|+8|+4|Improved Evasion
14|+10|+9|+9|+4|Improved Warning Shout, SA +5d6
15|+11|+9|+9|+5|Improved Captain Style
16|+12|+10|+10|+5|Cannibalize, Pirate Training +4
17|+12|+10|+10|+5|SA +6d6
18|+13|+11|+11|+6|Advanced Captain Style
19|+14|+11|+11|+6|Advanced Warning Shout
20|+15|+12|+12|+6|SA +7d6, Trained Leader, Pirate Training +5[/table]

Innis Cabal
2008-06-23, 06:35 PM
Its....ok, i would seriously just take a rogue and take the dread pirate PrC thats already printed. Couple things i personaly find....off. There is nothing to simulate living on a ship....none what so ever, even if balance is a class skill, some major bonus's should be included or any pirate rigging the sails etc is S.O.L. Swim as a class skill. Major issues there. Sneak attack, why. A better ability with Attacks of opp. maybe, but sneak attack, might want to rethink that. Also hand crossbows seems to be a bit off flavor. Also saves, Fort should be lowest, not will. It takes some major testicular fortitude to be a pirate, but your health? Ya not so much.

Nebo_
2008-06-23, 07:18 PM
Its....ok, i would seriously just take a rogue and take the dread pirate PrC thats already printed. Couple things i personaly find....off. There is nothing to simulate living on a ship....none what so ever, even if balance is a class skill, some major bonus's should be included or any pirate rigging the sails etc is S.O.L. Swim as a class skill. Major issues there. Sneak attack, why. A better ability with Attacks of opp. maybe, but sneak attack, might want to rethink that. Also hand crossbows seems to be a bit off flavor. Also saves, Fort should be lowest, not will. It takes some major testicular fortitude to be a pirate, but your health? Ya not so much.

I disagree with pretty much all of this. Your class seems good, at a glance. Good work.

sigurd
2008-06-23, 10:37 PM
I like the flavour of the class and I think that its a great choice for a variant rogue. I'm not sure that what you've achieved is better than a fighter\rogue multiclass however.

I think you have to revisit the level bonuses and be clear what you want to add to the rogue specifically and what you want to give up.

I don't think you should make Familiar a class ability either, certainly not at the expense of something like a navigation or swim bonus etc.... I picture a boat full of 9th level pirates as a sort of floating zoo :). Some sort of gather info, smuggling, or survival bonus might work.

You might choose to add half the pirates level to his point of death number. So a pirate would be wounded and truly hurt but a 20th level pirate wouldn't actually die untill he was at -20. "Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead!". Might make them good low level opponents.

Sigurd

BardicLasher
2008-06-23, 11:47 PM
Innis-
This class is designed to hit Dread Pirate at level 11 with only one feat. That's the main reason for the level 10 ability. It's designed to mesh well with dread pirate. The bonuses are the +1 at every 4th level. If those aren't enough, what should be fixed? Sneak attacks is good, because this class is built for teamwork. Handcrossbows was just because there's no guns, you may be right that it's bad. Fort over Will because what other character class drinks more rum than water and still fights fit?

Nebo-
...Uh... Thanks? So advice please?

Sigurd-
I'm really trying to focus on teamwork effects. That's the goal. If they need to be stronger, they can be strengthened...

Speficially, I want a roguish combat character that focuses entirely on teamwork and not on being the skillmonkey.

Familiar was just a way to get a parrot or a monkey. But why would a boat have more than 1 or 2 level 9 pirates anyway? Level 9s are generally few and far between.

The lower death window is interesting but... how does that make sense?

Xyk
2008-06-23, 11:55 PM
Innis-

Speficially, I want a roguish combat character that focuses entirely on teamwork and not on being the skillmonkey.

Bard can do that just fine. They work best with others, and add an arcane element that makes them useful. With fluff moved around, a bard is just fine for this.

DracoDei
2008-06-24, 04:21 AM
Yeah, but bards are mostly good at supporting OTHER types of characters... these are supposed to be good at supporting the SAME sort of character. IE a ship full of bards? Not much use one sings, a few cast spells maybe and the rest attack with no particularly great combat skills... A ship full of these guys? Flanking for sneak attacks galore and probably some other stuff I haven't bothered to read yet...

BardicLasher
2008-06-24, 03:49 PM
Exactly, Draco. The pirate is designed to be a poor fighter alone, and a good fighter in a party. On top of that, unlike a Bard, a party of 5 Pirates should actually be pretty strong. What I want is a class that works fine in a party of 4 or 5, but, unlike most other teamwork-oriented classes, has abilities that continue to improve when you've got more than 1.

1 ninja should be stronger than 1 pirate.
5 pirates should be stronger than 5 ninja
3 v 3 should be an even fight.

That's what I'm aiming for here... Of course, the ninja class sucked, so a buddy of mine made a new one, but that's off getting PEACHED at EN world.

I ALSO want a class that represents someone who's used to the seas. I want enough sea-based abilities to make it blatant, but not so much that the pirate's gimped on land the way that a Paladin's gimped in a room too small for his horse.

Innis Cabal
2008-06-26, 02:32 PM
I disagree with pretty much all of this. Your class seems good, at a glance. Good work.

Thats lovely, why?

This class is designed to hit Dread Pirate at level 11 with only one feat
If thats the case why make the class? I just dont really see the logic there.

Handcrossbows was just because there's no guns
Ok i see, but still...really dont think it fits the over all flavor of a pirate, sorry.

Sneak attacks is good, because this class is built for teamwork

Disagree with this still, how does being able to get an oppurtunstic blow at someone "team work". I get the whole flanking thing, but i think you should use something else, not sneak attack. Perhaps extra damage per ally engaged with the target?

Fort over Will because what other character class drinks more rum than water and still fights fit?

I made the statement relitive to the conditions of living on a boat isnt condusive to health. You can disagree with it all you want. Also drinking grog like a fish isnt really great for your health either, as your liver can only take so much. Perhaps give them monk saves, but i really do not beleive fort should be their highest, Reflex is a close second

I ALSO want a class that represents someone who's used to the seas

A few skill points here and there and a free feat dosnt really reflect that.