PDA

View Full Version : do melee burst trigger opportunity attacks in 4th?

tiaxrulesall
2008-06-23, 03:08 PM
-hey guys, dont post much/all but i am trying out this new system, and i just hit a thing that struck me a ridiculous, namely

-when my fighter or paladin or what have you does an AOE melee attack, it is written down as close burst 1

-in the section of the PHB for opportunity attacks, it mentions that all area attacks and ranged attacks trigger them

-so, when my fighter uses sweeping blow, do all the orcs or what have you get an oportunity attack against him?

Kletian999
2008-06-23, 03:13 PM
-hey guys, dont post much/all but i am trying out this new system, and i just hit a thing that struck me a ridiculous, namely

-when my fighter or paladin or what have you does an AOE melee attack, it is written down as close burst 1

-in the section of the PHB for opportunity attacks, it mentions that all area attacks and ranged attacks trigger them

-so, when my fighter uses sweeping blow, do all the orcs or what have you get an oportunity attack against him?

There are 4 kinds of attacks:
Melee
Ranged
Close (either Burst or Blast)
Area

Ranged and Area provoke attacks, Melee and Close do not.

So "no" is your answer

Somebloke
2008-06-23, 03:14 PM
As a DM, my reaction was to let common sense take over and say 'no'.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-23, 05:45 PM
For what it's worth, this is probably why some Powers have really weird range/target combinations, like the Paladin Challenge power which is "close burst five" but only targets one creature in the burst: if it was "ranged 5" it would provoke an AoO.

Tough_Tonka
2008-06-23, 06:26 PM
Early my 4e group thought that they did, but I actually checked with WotC website and confirmed that close burst and blast do not trigger attacks of opportunity. That being said I really think WotC could have explained that rule more clearly.

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-23, 06:30 PM
For what it's worth, this is probably why some Powers have really weird range/target combinations, like the Paladin Challenge power which is "close burst five" but only targets one creature in the burst: if it was "ranged 5" it would provoke an AoO.

I was totally wondering about this, but it makes a lot of sense if it's just to avoid OAs.

tiaxrulesall
2008-06-23, 06:33 PM
-okay thanks guys, that would have really nerfed a lot of mellee builds, and it explains the funny wording on things

Douglas
2008-06-23, 07:26 PM
That being said I really think WotC could have explained that rule more clearly.
Pages 270-272 of the PHB aren't clear enough for you? That's where the attack types are defined (it's even listed as "Attack Types" on the table of contents), and it seems perfectly clear to me.

Starbuck_II
2008-06-24, 09:30 AM
Pages 270-272 of the PHB aren't clear enough for you? That's where the attack types are defined (it's even listed as "Attack Types" on the table of contents), and it seems perfectly clear to me.

He means not enough typing in bold.

Really, it has more to do with the OP and others mindset than how it is written. You have to reach extremrlyu far to see ranged to equal burst. I mean, they are different words.