PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape is being a system hog

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-23, 03:52 PM
... and is very laggy when I use it. Is there any way to fix this?

Oregano
2008-06-23, 03:55 PM
If you're using windows go onto the task manager and disable any unneccesary processes you have running, also check the right of the start bar for any programs that you don't need open and close them, that might help.

Phase
2008-06-23, 03:59 PM
I happens sometimes. for me, I close it, do something else, close unnesscecary tabs, reboot, etc

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-23, 04:18 PM
Hm. Installing the new version seems to have helped a bit.

Nameless
2008-06-23, 04:21 PM
Yeah, don't use it...

DoomITP
2008-06-23, 04:32 PM
I'm with nameless mostly but since I'm no good at drawing, somthing fireworks requires skill in i use inkscape.

Calamity
2008-06-23, 04:34 PM
Yeah, don't use it...

Until there is a decent free alternative, I'll certainly carry on using it.

Nameless
2008-06-23, 04:35 PM
Until there is a decent free alternative, I'll certainly carry on using it.

I would rather use paint...

Oregano
2008-06-23, 04:38 PM
Why? Inkscape produces much better quality images than Paint and doesn't need anywhere near as much expertis.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-23, 04:51 PM
I would rather use paint...

Paint
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/TEST2.jpg

Inkscape
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/Haruki-san/Haruki3.png

Phase
2008-06-23, 04:52 PM
Just ignore them, Oregeno. They're Inkscape haters.

Down with fireworks! :smallamused:

Calamity
2008-06-23, 04:59 PM
I'm embarrassed of my Paint avatars.

Then I tried Paint.NET, and that's basically Super-Paint. Things got a little better then and most of those I will say "Yeah, that's mine" without blushing.

Then I tried Fireworks.... wow.. never again. Talk about hard to use, good for animations though and it's less confusing then Flash.

Ah, Inkscape, how you saved me. I found a program that was easy to use and pretty much all my Inkscape drawings come out as I intend (with the exception of MGS4 Raiden.....)

Tiffanie Lirle
2008-06-23, 05:01 PM
*Waits until the Inkscape and Fireworks users have killed each other*
*Claims this land in the name of Flash*
<.<
>.>

I use Fireworks as well from time to time.. I don't really have the hang of it yet. Was gonna get around to grabbing Inkscape as well to see how that is. But Flash is what I've always used, and It'll probably stay that way for quite some time.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-23, 05:06 PM
Flash is good, I like it. But it's sadly expensive. :smallsigh:

Nameless
2008-06-23, 05:07 PM
I'm embarrassed of my Paint avatars.

Then I tried Paint.NET, and that's basically Super-Paint. Things got a little better then and most of those I will say "Yeah, that's mine" without blushing.

Then I tried Fireworks.... wow.. never again. Talk about hard to use, good for animations though and it's less confusing then Flash.

Ah, Inkscape, how you saved me. I found a program that was easy to use and pretty much all my Inkscape drawings come out as I intend (with the exception of MGS4 Raiden.....)

Inkscape? Not complicated *laughs*
Fireworks is easy once you get the hang of it, and you can do so much more with it.

@Tiff: Flash is also good. :smalltongue:

Emperor Ing
2008-06-23, 05:09 PM
Ya know, Kurmour claims to use paint, and his avatars come out FAR better than anything that can be produced in any other art program.

He has a secret to resizing, I know it!

Oregano
2008-06-23, 05:13 PM
I want to see some of his work, besides he must be really skilled whereas you don't have to be to use Inkscape.

Haruki-kun
2008-06-23, 05:15 PM
Ya know, Kurmour claims to use paint, and his avatars come out FAR better than anything that can be produced in any other art program.

He has a secret to resizing, I know it!

o.O

You're not serious........... O.o

THIS IS MADNESS!

Calamity
2008-06-23, 05:16 PM
Inkscape? not complicated *laughs*
Fireowrks is easy once you get the hang of it, you can do so much more with it.

@Tiff: Flash is also good. :smalltongue:

Inkscape? Complicated? *laughs*
Absolutely not. Seriously I got the hang of it within a day or two.

30 day trial of Fireworks, plus being the best available drawing program at my school (not saying much) and never got the hang of it. No way am I paying for something so difficult to draw with.

What much more can you do with Fireworks, pray tell me?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-23, 07:51 PM
Something else I just noticed - my earliest works are very small files - tens of kilobytes. Even Evil Belldandy with her Demon Familiar from my sig down there is only 76kb. But a lot of my newer works are files hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands kb large. WTF? Anybody know what's up with that?

Maulrus
2008-06-23, 09:32 PM
I installed Inkscape on my crappy school-issued IBM laptop, and it gets laggy after a while. I usually restart or close one of my ten thousand open tabs.

Also, Inkscape really isn't that complicated. I got the hang of it in a day with Trazoi's tutorial, and a month or two later, I was making decent art.

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 09:32 PM
Something else I just noticed - my earliest works are very small files - tens of kilobytes. Even Evil Belldandy with her Demon Familiar from my sig down there is only 76kb. But a lot of my newer works are files hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands kb large. WTF? Anybody know what's up with that?
What file format are you saving in? If you're saving in PNG, it compresses quite well for images with large blocks of solid colours (like most OotS avatars), but it bulks up considerably when you've got lots of gradients or for photos.

As for the traditional Battle of the Image Editors, my intuition is that people's preferences boil down to whichever interface suits their style better, and that is heavily dependant on which one you've spent the most time learning. I cut my teeth on vector graphics with Inkscape, and now even though I've got a copy of Illustrator I still prefer Inkscape as the interface just seem much more intuitive to me. However I expect if I spent a solid week learning Illustrator there's a good chance it will "click" and I'd learn how to use it a lot better. Although the node editing tools seems vastly counter-intuitive fron anything I'd have designed...

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-23, 10:40 PM
I'm talking about the the .SVG files.

Maulrus
2008-06-23, 10:57 PM

I find it interesting that your files were ever so small. A one page standard 8.5x11 paper in full color, no gradients, ends up being about 1.5 MB for me in .svg.

memnarch
2008-06-23, 11:38 PM
Png images that are saved into a svg file tend to get large. If there's no png images (or any non-vector parts) the file size increases.

Could we see one of the large pictures by chance?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-23, 11:50 PM
I find it interesting that your files were ever so small. A one page standard 8.5x11 paper in full color, no gradients, ends up being about 1.5 MB for me in .svg.
Well, see, I pretty much only ever use it for avatars. Which means most of my files are 120px by 120 px, and smaller.

Here's the biggest image. In SVG format, it's 14,478kb.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Damien1.png

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 11:53 PM
Do you have lots of draft notes in there: scribbles, lines with lots of nodes? They all add up. If it's a problem when sending files, you can use SVGZ (which is just SVG zipped up) which is tiny.

You can always open up your SVG files in a text editor to see if there's something in there that's odd. Remember SVG is just XML; it's a bunch of commands written to tell where to draw curves and shapes in ASCII in the form of tags a lot like HTML, and is editable in Notepad or other text editors.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-23, 11:57 PM
That would help if I knew XML.

Trazoi
2008-06-23, 11:57 PM
Here's the biggest image. In SVG format, it's 14,478kb.
Really?! 14 megabytes is really big for a SVG avatar. Are you sure that's not 14 kilobytes?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-24, 12:09 AM
Really?! 14 megabytes is really big for a SVG avatar. Are you sure that's not 14 kilobytes?
Very.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/Screenshot.png

Trazoi
2008-06-24, 12:36 AM
That's odd. The SVG files I have that end up that large are usually that way because they have lots and lots of nodes in them, such as if I use the calligraphy tool a lot. But your avatar doesn't look like it's got that many nodes, unless you've also got a whole bunch of draft stuff that's also in your file.

You can try saving in plain SVG or vaccuing defs to see if it makes a difference; I don't usualy see it make that much myself. But if file size is an issue I'd still recommend SVGZ; it's exactly the same as before, just compressed. Your files should be a fraction of the size they were before.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-24, 12:38 AM
Uh... Vacuuing defs? What is that and how do I do it?

Trazoi
2008-06-24, 01:27 AM
Uh... Vacuuing defs? What is that and how do I do it?
It's under the File menu. I don't actually have much of an idea what it exactly does, but it sounds like it's cleaning up something :smallbiggrin:

All the other options can be done by selecting what file time you want to save under. Inkscape saves to plain old Inkscape SVG by default, but you can select SVGZ instead to save on file sizes at the cost of not having files that can be opened by a text editor.

Nameless
2008-06-24, 02:43 AM
o.O

You're not serious........... O.o

THIS IS MADNESS!

Madness?

MADNESS!?!

THIS...IS...INKSCAPE!!!

Calamity
2008-06-24, 02:52 AM
Madness?

MADNESS!?!

THIS...IS...INKSCAPE!!!

Ironic, considering Haruki-kun wasn't actually talking about Inkscape there. :smalltongue:

Nameless
2008-06-24, 03:15 AM
Ironic, considering Haruki-kun wasn't actually talking about Inkscape there. :smalltongue:

Inkscape has haunted humanity throught the ages Cal...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/tomshaer/InkscapeWalklikeandegyptian.png

Of corse she was... :smalltongue:

... I spent way to much time making this... :smallannoyed:

Lyinginbedmon
2008-06-24, 06:13 AM
Haruki-kun is a she? :smallconfused:

Nameless
2008-06-24, 07:23 AM
Haruki-kun is a she? :smallconfused:

Typo... :smallannoyed:

Lavidor
2008-06-24, 07:59 AM
Hey Nameless! Did you know that fire doesn't work? :smallamused:
(Edit @\/: Sorry. Just wanted to flaunt my talent at bad puns.)

Back on track:
I generally delete SVG files I think I'm done fiddling with, since my computer doesn't have much space left. Maybe you should try that.

Nameless
2008-06-24, 08:37 AM
Hey Nameless! Did you know that fire doesn't work? :smallamused:

That has to be the single worst pun I have ever read... EVER...

You've actually mannaged to depress me... :smallannoyed:

Calamity
2008-06-24, 08:41 AM

That has to be the single worst pun I have ever read... EVER...

I didn't even get it at first, but now you've pointed it out...

You've actually mannaged to depress me... :smallannoyed:

Good job, Lavidor! :smallwink::smalltongue: joke

@V: Indeed I do, Nameless, indeed I do. :smallamused::smalltongue:
Now I need to stop overloading my posts with smilies.

Nameless
2008-06-24, 08:46 AM
You bath in my misery... :smallannoyed:

Bayar
2008-06-24, 09:16 AM
Back on track:
I generally delete SVG files I think I'm done fiddling with, since my computer doesn't have much space left. Maybe you should try that.

Sucks to be you.

I save all my SVG files in case I need quick references, parts or just editing the old pics. And it doesnt even get in the way of space. The GB of hentai on the other hand...:annoyed:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-24, 10:22 AM
Inkscape works fine in all my time I've used it. Ofcourse, I don't use it much anymore these days.
And no, I don't use other programs.

And yes, I'm proud that atleast one person, M0rt, is still using a avatar I made. Even though it was just a improvement of a sketch or something.

And hell yeck I'm prouda of it that atleast somebody uses my work/art!

BRC
2008-06-24, 10:26 AM
Yeah Inkscape could be better, but I use it so that I can throw Inkscape SVG's at nameless if he ever tries to cause any trouble. It's like holy water and vampires ya know.

Phase
2008-06-24, 10:27 AM
The GB of hentai on the other hand...:annoyed:

:smalleek:

Unclean! Unclean!

DoomITP
2008-06-24, 01:02 PM
I hate inkscape cause it buggs out on me alot. But fireworks is hard to make things look good for me. LIKE NAMELESS'S HOOD! :furious:

Nameless
2008-06-24, 01:52 PM
I hate inkscape cause it buggs out on me alot. But fireworks is hard to make things look good for me. LIKE NAMELESS'S HOOD! :furious:

You can use inksape the same way you sue Firworks if you want.
It just takes practice. I'me reletivally happy with what I can produce on it, and I would be even happier if I had a drawing tablet.

The only thing I don't like about Fireworks is the Filler tool.

Bayar
2008-06-24, 02:02 PM
You can use inksape the same way you sue Firworks if you want.
It just takes practice. I'me reletivally happy with what I can produce on it, and I would be even happier if I had a drawing tablet.

The only thing I don't like about Fireworks is the Filler tool.

That is because you have practice drawing in reallife.

Pyro
2008-07-02, 07:20 PM
What with the inkscape hate nameless? I love inkscape so much I would run off to the Caribbean and marry it. I picked up in a few days even without a tutorial. To me the interface is intuitive and self explanatory, but you can do so much with it once you become experienced.

I don't know about the lagging though. It only slows down when I start messing with the blur and alpha. But then again it could be the three gigs of ram I have.:smallredface:

Nameless
2008-07-03, 02:53 AM
What with the inkscape hate nameless? I love inkscape so much I would run off to the Caribbean and marry it. I picked up in a few days even without a tutorial. To me the interface is intuitive and self explanatory, but you can do so much with it once you become experienced.

I don't know about the lagging though. It only slows down when I start messing with the blur and alpha. But then again it could be the three gigs of ram I have.:smallredface:

Well for one, it's the only drawing program I've used that has all these problems, lagging, freezing, loosing your work etc, lukily, I haven't used it for more the 5 minutes without getting peed off, so I have never sexperianced any of these. :smalltongue:

Bayar
2008-07-03, 06:53 AM
Well for one, it's the only drawing program I've used that has all these problems, lagging, freezing, loosing your work etc, lukily, I haven't used it for more the 5 minutes without getting peed off, so I have never sexperianced any of these. :smalltongue:

Really? I remember that you said you dont like it because you suck at using it... :amused:

Nameless
2008-07-03, 07:11 AM
Really? I remember that you said you dont like it because you suck at using it... :amused:

Well, I was, but I'm sure if i practiced I woulda got the hang of it.
I just though, why not spend this time practacing on a program that's like, 10 times better taht will also allow me to draw non-Oots pictures with shadow and better effects?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-03, 08:54 AM
Well, I was, but I'm sure if i practiced I woulda got the hang of it.
I just though, why not spend this time practacing on a program that's like, 10 times better taht will also allow me to draw non-Oots pictures with shadow and better effects?
Because it costs money?:smallamused:
*runs for it*

Nameless
2008-07-03, 08:57 AM
Because it costs money?:smallamused:
*runs for it*

Yes... Yes it does...

Pyro
2008-07-03, 11:21 AM
I've never had those issues with it, but it's still a powerful free program. Being probably the 4rth to mention that, I'm forced to conclude us playgrounders are a miserly lot. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I don't have a tablet, so I'm not planning to draw realistic on inkscape. Pencil and paper do well enough for me.

Nameless
2008-07-03, 01:35 PM
I've never had those issues with it, but it's still a powerful free program. Being probably the 4rth to mention that, I'm forced to conclude us playgrounders are a miserly lot. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I don't have a tablet, so I'm not planning to draw realistic on inkscape. Pencil and paper do well enough for me.

Yeah, good luck with realistic drawing on a Vector based program...

Oregano
2008-07-03, 01:39 PM
Paint.NET is free and combined with Inkscape can do more or less everything that Fireworks can.

Fireworks is unwieldy in my opinion, we had it in school and I couldn't really do much, Photoshop's better.

Nameless
2008-07-03, 01:48 PM
Paint.NET is free and combined with Inkscape can do more or less everything that Fireworks can.

Fireworks is unwieldy in my opinion, we had it in school and I couldn't really do much, Photoshop's better.

Ofcors Photoshop is better, but it's twice the price.

Pluss Fireworks was a little gift from my freind allong with dreamweaver, flash, and freehand so I didn't really pay anything. :smalltongue:

Pyro
2008-07-03, 02:20 PM
Ofcors Photoshop is better, but it's twice the price.

Pluss Fireworks was a little gift from my freind allong with dreamweaver, flash, and freehand so I didn't really pay anything. :smalltongue:

Little gift? Don't all those programs together cost over $1000?

Nameless
2008-07-03, 02:30 PM
Little gift? Don't all those programs together cost over $1000?

He's a very close freind of mine. :smallsmile:

Lyinginbedmon
2008-07-03, 02:34 PM
Obviously he's Nameless' boyfriend :smalltongue:

Seriously though, it may be $1000, but that's about £500.

Nameless
2008-07-03, 02:37 PM
Obviously he's Nameless' boyfriend :smalltongue:

Yes, it all makes perfect sence... :smallsmile:

Seriously though, it may be $1000, but that's about £500.

Thaaattts rigght... If the number's smaller, it must be cheaper... :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-03, 02:42 PM
Dude, I want your friends or whoever gave you that 'little gift'.

Satirical Gamer
2008-07-24, 03:39 PM
Is inkscape free? And if so, do you need internet to keep using it?

Emperor Ing
2008-07-24, 03:45 PM
Is inkscape free?
Yes

And if so, do you need internet to keep using it?
Once installed, no. Save it to a file you can easily open, like program files.
NOTE: NEVER save files under the Inkscape folders if you want to install the latest version.

Satirical Gamer
2008-07-24, 03:55 PM
One more question: Can you download inkscape onto one computer, save the files to a data transferer, then take it to another computer and continue using inkscape on that computer, cause the computer I want inkscape on doesn't have internet.

Lyinginbedmon
2008-07-24, 03:58 PM
You download an installation file, you can then run that as many times as you like without a problem. So yes you can put the installation file on another computer and still be fine.

Bayar
2008-07-24, 04:14 PM
I have them on my USB stick. And draw either at home or college. :smallbiggrin: