PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Wizard Spells Per Day

kirbsys
2008-06-23, 11:57 PM
In the wizard's preparing spells section it mentions that they can only prepare a certain number of spells per day, but I can't find a table or anything else that mentions it. Specifically is says that "After an extended rest you can prepare a number of spells according to what you can cast per day for your level."

Any help here?

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-23, 11:58 PM
Basically, look in the front of the book, where it lists "Powers known" by level. You can cast that many spells a day of each type. However, you get twice as many daily/utility spells known.

kirbsys
2008-06-24, 12:17 AM
So what it really means is they can use all of their powers the same way as any other class, they just have to prepare them?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-24, 12:21 AM
Yes, Im pretty sure thats how it works. Although I also believe that when picking powers, you cannot pick two powers from the same level. For instance, if you 5th level and had to prepare 2 daily powers, you could not pick your 2 5th level powers.

kirbsys
2008-06-24, 12:23 AM
So say a player took expanded spellbook, they would still only be able to prepare one per-day spell at first level?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-24, 12:27 AM
You would stick with your 1 per day, you just have more to choose from. From the feat: "This feat doesn't change your number of daily attack spells you can prepare each day."

Goober4473
2008-06-24, 01:43 AM
Say you're level 30, and you have 3 encounter powers, 3 dailies, and 5 utilities (plus your paragon path and epic destiny powers, but I'm talking from your base class only). A wizard instead had 3 encounter spells, 6 daily spells, and 10 utility spells, and can prepare 3 dailies and 5 utilities from those lists, but never the same spell twice.

As I read it, you can in fact prepare two of your highest level spells (for example, both of your level 29 daily spells), but it's worded very poorly. It could use another paragraph or two to explain. "According to what you can cast per day for your level" is pretty vague as to weather it means "one level 29, one level 25, and one level 19" or "three daily spells," for example.

Can anyone clarify?

JaxGaret
2008-06-24, 01:45 AM
Say you're level 30, and you have 3 encounter powers, 3 dailies, and 5 utilities (plus your paragon path and epic destiny powers, but I'm talking from your base class only). A wizard instead had 3 encounter spells, 6 daily spells, and 10 utility spells, and can prepare 3 dailies and 5 utilities from those lists, but never the same spell twice.

As I read it, you can in fact prepare two of your highest level spells (for example, both of your level 29 daily spells), but it's worded very poorly. It could use another paragraph or two to explain. "According to what you can cast per day for your level" is pretty vague as to weather it means "one level 29, one level 25, and one level 19" or "three daily spells," for example.

Can anyone clarify?

That would be way overpowered.

You can prepare the same level "slots" as everyone else - one power in your highest level "slot", one power in your second-highest level "slot", one in your third-highest level "slot", etc.

kirbsys
2008-06-24, 01:48 AM
Other than expanded spellbook, how do players learn more spells?

marjan
2008-06-24, 01:50 AM

So far there is no way of doing that.

Aquillion
2008-06-24, 01:50 AM
They don't.

RTGoodman
2008-06-24, 01:51 AM

You can prepare the same level "slots" as everyone else - one power in your highest level "slot", one power in your second-highest level "slot", one in your third-highest level "slot", etc.

Exactly - you just have more options as to what to PUT in those "slots."

...gain a level?

kirbsys
2008-06-24, 02:01 AM
Okay, I completely missed the part where it said they start with two dailies and earn more. Thanks for all the help.

TheOOB
2008-06-24, 02:11 AM
If it make it any simpler, just think of it like this. At level 5 you have a level 1 daily slot and a level 5 daily slot, but as a wizard you get to pick two powers per slot, for a total of two level 1 powers and two level 5 powers. After an extended rest you get to choose which of your two level 1 powers you are taking along, and which of your two level 5 powers you are taking along. You still have the same exact slots as everyone else...you can just essentially retrain that slot after an extended rest from among the spells for that slot in your spellbook.

disorder
2008-06-24, 02:44 AM
So what it really means is they can use all of their powers the same way as any other class, they just have to prepare them?

Not exactly. Each time they learn a new daily or utility power, they actually choose two different powers of that type and level. (Or three, with expanded spellbook.) Then each day, they choose which of those two or three powers to prepare. (And they do this for each daily and utility "slot" they have.)

Other classes, on the other hand, only learn one power for each "slot", and thus don't have any choices to make on which ones to prepare.

For example: characters learn their first utility power at second level. A second-level wizard could place two such spells -- say, Feather Fall and Shield in her spellbook. Each day, she would choose which of those two spells to have available. Later, at sixth level, she would gain a second utility "slot", and might choose Dimension Door and Levitate. On a given day, she could not choose both these sixth-level spells as her two utility powers; she still needs to prepare one second level and one sixth level utility spell.

Her daily attack spells would work similarly...but her encounter spells would not; she only learns one of those for each spell slot, and has no choice about what encounter powers to prepare.

Sebastian
2008-06-24, 04:29 AM
So if I put my hands on the spellbook of another wizard I gain... nothing!?

JaxGaret
2008-06-24, 04:39 AM

You can study and master any Rituals you find in it.

Kurald Galain
2008-06-24, 06:27 AM
You can study and master any Rituals you find in it.

But you still can't use any of those unless you pay for them first. I'm not sure if you need to pay for the (cheap-ish) ritual itself, but you definitely need to pay for the "components".

Frost
2008-06-24, 09:25 AM

Actually, no it isn't. It hardly matters since all the dailies are just about the same. And sleep is still better then everything up until level 29.

Yakk
2008-06-24, 10:21 AM

As mentioned, you pick up rituals.

If that NPC happens to have custom daily spells, the GM might let you learn those daily spells (swapping out one you know) by learning from their spellbook.

But yes, unlike 3e, Wizards don't get to know every single spell in the universe. They have a limited set of spells they have mastered, and a limited capacity to have mastered spells.

JaxGaret
2008-06-24, 07:16 PM
Actually, no it isn't. It hardly matters since all the dailies are just about the same. And sleep is still better then everything up until level 29.

Simply because a single low-level daily wizard power is one of the best overall doesn't mean that "all the dailies are just about the same".

Tough_Tonka
2008-06-24, 09:12 PM

That doesn't sound that over powered considering other high level characters can just retrain their low level dailies and utilites for high level ones.

JaxGaret
2008-06-24, 09:13 PM
That doesn't sound that over powered considering other high level characters can just retrain their low level dailies and utilites for high level ones.

You can only ever have one of your highest level daily powers, one of your highest level utility powers, etc.

A PC can't have multiple top-tier powers.

kirbsys
2008-06-24, 09:43 PM
Yeah, if you retrain a power, you must retrain it for a different power of the same level.

TheOOB
2008-06-24, 10:49 PM
Yeah, if you retrain a power, you must retrain it for a different power of the same level.

Or lower, you always have the ability to trade a higher level power for a lower level one should you wish.