PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Bob Barker would be so proud...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-24, 07:35 AM
Eunuchorn

Small Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+8 (19 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 dex, +4 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
Attack: Horn +5 melee (1d6+2/18-20x2)
Full Attack: Horn +5 melee (1d6+2/18-20x2), and 2 hooves +1 melee (1d2+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, protect the jewels, snip!, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., detect testosterone, immunity to poison, charm, and fear, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 16
Skills: Intimidate +6, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate and Cold Forest or Urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral or chaotic evil.
Advancement: 3-5 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Eunuchorns appear much as tiny shetland ponies, though with shaggy fur that moves about like flowing silver. Their dewy eyes, though beautiful, hold an angry, resentful gleam. What truly distinguishes them is the spiraling horn that extends from the center of their foreheads to about waist-high, the end of which has a distinct edge that glimmers ominously in the light.

Eunuchorns are the rare, stunted brethren of the much vaunted unicorn that only occur when a unicorn gestates while imprisoned and surrounded by impure beings. As such their offspring is warped in mind and body. While it is a well-known fact that unicorns are attracted to innocent beings, most especially virgins, this attraction is altered in a eunuchorn, who wishes to 'make' pure beings it meets, though only males. They hate creatures bigger than they in particular and focus their attacks on the largest opponent.

As well, Eunuchorns can exist on grass and natural vegetation, but prefer human fare. A eunuchorn stands a little over 2 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh around 300 lbs.

Eunuchorns speaks Sylvan and Common.

Combat
A eunuchorn tends to leap towards it's opponents, causing them to cower back defensively. It then slashes with its horn in the direction of sensitive areas.

Augmented Critical (Ex): The eunuchorn's horn threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18–20, dealing double damage on a successful critical hit.

Detect Testosterone (Su): A eunuchorn can continuously detect male living creatures within 60 feet. This ability can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Protect the Jewels (Ex): The area in which a eunuchorn tends to aim causes instinctive flinching and clutching in male creatures within two sizes of it that have an intelligence score of 3 or higher, who must make a Will save equal to the eunuchorn's horn attack each round it attacks or only be able to fight defensively until the Eunuchorn's next turn.

Snip! (Ex): On a confirmed critical hit against a male creature within two sizes of the eunuchorn there is a 20% chance that the eunuchorn neuters it's opponent. The opponent must make a fortitude save (DC 13 + damage done) or become nauseated for 1 round, and sickened for an hour. A being may only be neutered once unless it's condition is healed by a spell or Regeneration (but not fast healing). This condition can be reversed with Restoration, Heal, or a similar high-leveled spell.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 5th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
3/day - Cause Fear, Reduce Person.
1/day - Shrink Item, Warp Wood.

Zeta Kai
2008-06-24, 08:45 AM
That is the scariest monster I've seen all year. And that pun is almost scarier. Great job, as always.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-24, 09:28 AM
Thanks. I usually don't go in for this sort of humor much but I was in a mood :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2008-06-24, 09:32 AM
My worst puns are probably here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53869), in the Creature section.

Eurus
2008-06-24, 09:40 AM
Gah! That's... completely terrifying. *Shudder* Made all the worse by the unicorn similarities. Though I admit to being rather surprised that there are no permanent effects from being... er... 'snip-snipped'. Indeed, it seems like the Eunichorn (gods, I feel creeped out just saying that word...) could castrate one person multiple times.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-24, 09:54 AM
I admit to being rather surprised that there are no permanent effects from being... er... 'snip-snipped'.
None that I could think of that wouldn't mainly be RP'd. Maybe +2 bonus to Perform (sing) checks?

Indeed, it seems like the Eunichorn (gods, I feel creeped out just saying that word...) could castrate one person multiple times.
Umm... I, personally, may just be 'lacking' in certain area, but I had never considered the possibility of there being a second time.

Zeta Kai
2008-06-24, 10:30 AM
None that I could think of that wouldn't mainly be RP'd. Maybe +2 bonus to Perform (sing) checks?

Tee-Hee, this made me dribble water down my chin in laughter. I must say that this is by far the most unsettling monster I've seen in a while (& I'm an avid reader of the Demented One's fine material).

And I, too, have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which one could be castrated twice. Unless we're talking about that horrifying device in The Ice Pirates...

RTGoodman
2008-06-24, 01:56 PM
This is the scariest monster I've ever seen.

How often do male characters have to make the save for the Protect the Jewels ability? Every round? Every time the Eunuchorn attacks? Once per encounter?

Also, shame on you for the innuendo-laden SLAs. :smallwink: I don't know if anyone else noticed them, but personally I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything about the time I got to "1/day - shrink item, warp wood."

EDIT: Also, regarding multiple neuterings. It'd be hilarious if you had a character fall victim to this ability at level 1 or 2, spend several levels getting gold or experience enough to get access to regenerate spell (or perhaps just make whole, depending on how nice the DM was), and then fall victim to the same creature immediately afterward! :smalltongue:

Eurus
2008-06-24, 02:29 PM
And I, too, have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which one could be castrated twice. Unless we're talking about that horrifying device in The Ice Pirates...

Well that's what I'm saying. The ability should probably say somewhere that it only works once per creature, unless they get a Regeneration or something...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-24, 02:45 PM
Ok, tis adjusted and clarified.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-24, 02:49 PM
What did the device in Ice Pirates do? Also, would castration of any mechanical effects? (From what I can gather, loss of physical stats after a while would be realistic.)

Chronos
2008-06-24, 03:06 PM
Nobody but Vorpal Tribble could ever have come up with this.

Lochar
2008-06-24, 03:12 PM
You're right Chronos. Because no one else is deranged enough to do so. :tongue:

mikeejimbo
2008-06-24, 04:30 PM
I only read this creature because it was by Vorpal Tribble. And let me say, I love it.

Icewalker
2008-06-24, 04:43 PM
...twitch.

Awesome. Hilarious. Horrifying. Everything I've come to expect from you, VT.

littlechicory
2008-06-25, 03:27 PM
I'm going "ow ow owww" and clamping my legs together, and I'm female. :smalleek:

Bhu
2008-06-26, 05:36 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

OMG that was too funny.

Debihuman
2008-06-26, 10:44 AM
I saw this on WotC but it's still a hoot. Bravo!

Here's an item that could be made from a euchuchorn's horn...

Horns of emasculation are generally made and used by man-hating Amazons who ensure that their enemies will not produce any heirs. This is a cursed item which only works on male humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants and fey. Horns of emasculation have two functions: to ensure that captured enemies will not reproduce, and if necessary, to change the gender of a captive. A horn of emasculation gives the Amazon a +3 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidation checks. Any male emasculated by the horn is rendered permanently barren and can only be restored to full potency by a wish or miracle.

Moderate Transmutation, CL 10, Craft Wondrous Item, baleful polymorph, charm monster, horn of a eunuchorn, Price —, Weight 1 lb.

Design Notes: The name is a bit of a misnomer. Thie horn of emasculation does not actually castrate its victims, but rather renders them magically infertile. I had considered going that route, but with magical healing and restoration spells, I determined that it was better to only allow the animal to wield its horn as a weapon. A horn, even a magical one, would be a bit awkward to use as a weapon. Ultimately, I didn't want to create a magical horn that would have been indestinguishable from a knife with a bonus to sunder.

Debby

SurlySeraph
2008-06-26, 10:17 PM
@^: That... that is not detailed enough to make me scream in fear.

The Eunuchorn itself, however, is.

TRIIIIIIIIIBLE! (http://www.khaaan.com/)

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 01:31 AM
Wouldn't a =3 to Intimidate be a better choice for that item? Also, would castration cause any actual stat damage? Basd in it's real life side-effects, I'd say that rolling a d4 for Str, Dex and Con while subtracting those numbers from the stats perminantly would recreate the effects of castration well (they would only be restored when a Regeneration spell, or an ability with a similar effect, is used).

Eurus
2008-06-27, 09:41 AM
Wouldn't a =3 to Intimidate be a better choice for that item? Also, would castration cause any actual stat damage? Basd in it's real life side-effects, I'd say that rolling a d4 for Str, Dex and Con while subtracting those numbers from the stats perminantly would recreate the effects of castration well (they would only be restored when a Regeneration spell, or an ability with a similar effect, is used).

Except that, in D&D, there are no differences between the sexes. Causing a castrated male to lose stats would require causing all females to be created with a penalty to physical attributes. And down that path... lies madness.

Zeta Kai
2008-06-27, 11:28 AM
Except that, in D&D, there are no differences between the sexes. Causing a castrated male to lose stats would require causing all females to be created with a penalty to physical attributes. And down that path... lies madness.

There is such a thing as female castration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_castration), so your argument is not necessarily valid. And the less said about the Cutting of the Rose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_cutting), the better.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 12:40 PM
I agree with Zeta Kai (neutering females would just cause the menopause to happen sooner then it would normally happen).

xxragdollxx
2008-06-27, 12:53 PM
Eunuchorn

Attack: Horn +5 melee (1d6+2/18-20x2)
Full Attack: Horn +5 melee (1d6+2/18-20x2), and 2 hooves +1 melee (1d2+1)

Eunuchorns are the rare, stunted brethren of the much vaunted unicorn that

how is this pronounced? "UNUH-CHORHN"?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-27, 01:01 PM
how is this pronounced? "UNUH-CHORHN"?
Eunuch is pronounced 'You-nuck', so, 'You-nuck-orn'. Probably just my dialect, but I already pronounced it 'you-nuh-corn'.

Debihuman
2008-06-27, 01:04 PM
I've updated the Horn of Emasculation.... thanks for all the help and ideas.

Debby

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 01:18 PM
You're welcome (I still think it should cause stat loss, though: loss of fertillity really wouldn't be much of an OOC deterant. I'd have Regenerate restoring the lost testes as well if it actually castrates the target.)

Collin152
2008-06-27, 01:39 PM
You're welcome (I still think it should cause stat loss, though: loss of fertillity really wouldn't be much of an OOC deterant. I'd have Regenerate restoring the lost testes as well if it actually castrates the target.)

I've worked with castrated animals.
They're still strong.
They just don't get so angry so easy.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 01:45 PM
from what I can gather, it can depend on the animal (I remember reading 1 article about equines which claimed that geldings are usually less aggressive then stallions due to being allowed to mix with other horses rather then being kept on their own)*. If you're interrested, PM me and I'll try to find the article so I can give it to you. In regards to Str, sex hormone deficiency can lead to loss of muscle mass as well as an increase in adipose tissue, which is why I think a Str penalty would be relevant.

*With large animals, the difference may not be as noticable due to how weak humans are in comparrison.

Collin152
2008-06-27, 01:49 PM
*With large animals, the difference may not be as noticable due to how weak humans are in comparrison.

Let's see...
Goats are small, I saw no discrepency.
Sheep are bigger, no discrepency.
Pigs are rather bestial, and no weaker after castration.
Haven't worked much with equine or bovine, but like you said, you'd never notice.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 01:56 PM
I would have really expected it to make a noticable difference with those creatures (admittedly, my understanding of the side-effects is mainly academic, but I'd have thought it would have similar effects for all animals). By the wway, I couldn't find the article which I mentioned before. :smallfrown: The file was called Equine Journel Understanding Stallions, but I can't open the file or find it online anywhere.

Collin152
2008-06-27, 02:15 PM
I would have really expected it to make a noticable difference with those creatures (admittedly, my understanding of the side-effects is mainly academic, but I'd have thought it would have similar effects for all animals). By the wway, I couldn't find the article which I mentioned before. :smallfrown: The file was called Equine Journel Understanding Stallions, but I can't open the file or find it online anywhere.

Eh, that's alright on the horse thing. I believe you without proof.

Yeah, people vastly overestimate the effects of testosterone on the strength of the body.

Eunuchorn's castration power seems solid. Though that method would cause extreme pain. You'd probably fall prone.

Debihuman
2008-06-27, 02:27 PM
I thought about the horn of emasculation doing damage. However, I think it makes more sense to have the animal wield it as a weapon rather than it be used as one. Ergo, it's magical infertility which is much more difficult to undo so it needs a wish or miracle to undo it. Plus, I was trying to avoid turning the horn into a magical weapon. At that point, it becomes indestinguishable from a knife with a bonus to sunder.

Debby

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-28, 12:46 AM
That's a good point thanks (I assumed that it castrated the target rather then magically sterilising them).