PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard terrain

GlordFunkelhand
2008-06-24, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I guess it's probably old news for you, but I just found this site:
http://www.worldworksgames.com/
and they have really nice stuff. Wilderness, tavern, caves, hell, cathedrals.. everything.
I am really considering to buy a couple of the sets and use part of the weekend building a nice dungeon :)

GlordFunkelhand
2008-06-24, 07:22 PM
Oh come on, I practically drooled over every set they offer, and you guys don't even comment?
Is my taste so off?

Alleine
2008-06-24, 08:44 PM
Looks pretty neat, though I don't think I'd buy any. I'd rather make my own stuff, especially with the free time I've got. I could make an entire campaign world if I felt up to it...
That and the group I'm in isn't so big on detailed scenery at the moment.

Kyeudo
2008-06-24, 08:57 PM
I'm not big on major set pieces when I play in real life. Being able to set up an area quickly is more important than having it look good, more often than not, so I use a vinyl mat and a marker for most battle maps.

GlordFunkelhand
2008-06-25, 03:51 AM
Yeah, that's why I am so excited about these. You can put down the parts as you go. Hallway here, wall there, columns over there, add some lava... the cave and dungeon sets seem pretty much perfect for this. Even w/o the floor tiles, just place the wands and props... I kinda like the idea.

Right now we play mostly w/o miniatures, which worked pretty well in the low level area, but I am not sure if the mid level play will be play out as well w/o minis.

Another thing is, that some of the sets really planted adventure ideas in my head...

Tsotha-lanti
2008-06-25, 05:14 AM
I'm not big on major set pieces when I play in real life. Being able to set up an area quickly is more important than having it look good, more often than not, so I use a vinyl mat and a marker for most battle maps.

Yeah. If you use fancy or complex terrain items, you end up being limited by your available terrain when designing adventures. Seems silly. Moreover, it's harder to depict things like a character sitting in a tree when you actually have to balance a miniature on a tree...

Totally Guy
2008-06-25, 06:13 AM
I've used that site and made 2 sets. Shellendrak Manor and the Minichunk dungeon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/Manor2.jpg

Need to upload my dungeon pics.

What I did for the dungeon was make everything on 3x3 tiles and put velcro on the corners so the dungeon is made of any permutation of 3x3 squares allowing full rotation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/TilesGIF.gif

I recorded what tiles I'd made. And made a few 6x6 blank tiles to represent open areas.

I showed the movies and images on my camera to some of the geek friends of Last_Resort33 at his wedding and they were drooling.

Excellent site.

bosssmiley
2008-06-25, 07:19 AM
I've used that site and made 2 sets. Shellendrak Manor and the Minichunk dungeon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/Manor2.jpg

Need to upload my dungeon pics.

What I did for the dungeon was make everything on 3x3 tiles and put velcro on the corners so the dungeon is made of any permutation of 3x3 squares allowing full rotation.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/TilesGIF.gif

I recorded what tiles I'd made. And made a few 6x6 blank tiles to represent open areas.

I showed the movies and images on my camera to some of the geek friends of Last_Resort33 at his wedding and they were drooling.

Excellent site.

Sweet tiles Glug.

I use a mix of paizo, WOTC, old GW, downloaded and homemade dungeon tiles myself. Minimal 3d stuff, it just tends to get knocked over during play.

Never found any of the World Works stuff in the UK (probably because I wasn't looking too hard).

Totally Guy
2008-06-25, 07:54 AM
Their business is in pay to download PDFs.

I was a little concerned that A4 paper might be in some way unable to print properly compared with the default US Letter size maybe auto scaling or something... and another thing is paper over there gets measured by some lb/inch or something. I had to try 220gsm card which worked.

valadil
2008-06-25, 10:44 AM
I've had a couple experiences with terrain. One was a platform I built for an arena game. It worked out okay, but didn't add to the game too much. The platform was some cardboard I taped together, which was easy enough to do, but drawing a grid on it was a pain.

Another GM I had spent $300 on plastic dungeon blocks. He built the dungeon ahead of time and revealed it over the course of the game. It looked awesome. My problem with it was that the GM was so eager to play with his shiny new dungeon blocks that he pushed us past any attempts at roleplaying so we could get straight to the dungeon. I didn't like that effect on the game.

Worira
2008-06-25, 02:37 PM
I cannot be trusted with flammable terrain.

Worira
2008-06-25, 04:43 PM
On a more serious note, though, these are just too expensive for me. The PDFs are cheap enough, but they use so much ink that it ends up being cheaper just getting them printed, and then you wind up spending hundreds of dollars printing the damn things.

Glawackus
2008-06-25, 05:31 PM
I cannot be trusted with flammable terrain.

But it makes the dragon's flame seem so much more dangerous, especially if you're using those little cardstock stand-ups for the players. :smalltongue:

Tengu
2008-06-25, 05:33 PM
Reminds me of WoW. Which is a good thing, terrain and interiors in WoW are a bit chunky but look great.