PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Archivist//Warblade

NobleSavage
2008-06-24, 12:45 PM
I'm in the process of putting together a 1st level gestalt Warblade//Archivist for a game I was recently accepted to. Stats are
Str 14
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 8

Picked up power attack, but I'm unsure of my second feat. Looking for suggestions on that as well as maneuvers and spells (6 1st level Cleric ones). I've heard Wild Talent is good, and I have been thinking of going heavily into the Diamond Mind school. Thoughts? Ideas?

AslanCross
2008-06-24, 04:17 PM
Feat:
-Maybe Skill Focus (Concentration) to help you both in spellcasting and in Diamond Mind Maneuvers? Improved Initiative is always good too.

Why Wild Talent? The only use I can think of is that it will eventually use that feat that allows you to expend psionic focus to recover your maneuvers (but you're a warblade, and maneuver recovery is the least of your worries.)

-Adaptive Style, how could I forget? You'll need it eventually (unless your DM bans it)

Maneuvers:
-Moment of Perfect Mind (It would still be better than your Will Save)
-Sapphire Nightmare Blade (Staple entry-level)
-Steel Wind (For use when cornered)
-[Stance] Punishing Stance or Stance of Clarity. (I prefer Punishing Stance since I'm typically offensively-minded, but Stance of Clarity is good for one-on-one situations, or when you outnumber the enemy.)

Spells:
-divine favor is a staple if you're going to melee.
-magic weapon
-shield of faith
-bless weapon (especially useful when those DR/good enemies start showing up. IMO it also fits the Archivist's flavor a lot. "You're going to need more than magic weapons to hurt these fiends.")
-longstrider
-protection from evil

NobleSavage
2008-06-24, 06:27 PM
Wild Talent to get Psionic Focus so you can take 15 on Concentration checks. Yeah, how 'bout never failing a save? Or doing 15-30 +concentration modifier damage on an attack?

Couple options I'm looking at, feat-wise

-Psionic Cheese (Wild Talent, Psionic Meditation)

-Melee (Power Attack, Cleave, and probably no melee feats past this)

-Metamagic (Extend, Spell Focus: Div, Insightful Divination, Smiting Spell)

Thoughts? Do I even need the melee branch? My only thought was I'd probably be downing guys pretty quickly. Other ideas?

SilverClawShift
2008-06-24, 07:17 PM
When I saw this thread, I forgot I wasn't in homebrew and thought it was a prestige class for high level warriors who become so attuned to the ways of the weapon that others view them as having perfected their art. The martial side of the Archmage coin.

And now I want to play one.

Collin152
2008-06-24, 07:21 PM
When I saw this thread, I forgot I wasn't in homebrew and thought it was a prestige class for high level warriors who become so attuned to the ways of the weapon that others view them as having perfected their art. The martial side of the Archmage coin.

And now I want to play one.

This was my thought train exacti-titally-tactilly.

Chronos
2008-06-24, 10:54 PM
I, too, thought this was going to be a prestige class equivalent to Archmage.

On the psionic point, I can certainly see the value of psionic focus to a Warblade, but Wild Talent always seems like a waste of a feat to me. I'd think that 2-4 levels of Psychic Warrior would be a better way to qualify: You'd only lose 1 BAB and 1 or 2 initiator levels, but you'd gain a couple of bonus feats and some nice powers.

D Knight
2008-06-24, 11:14 PM
i have not played a Warblade but my 2 coppers is to take Adaptive Style when you start to gain more manuvers probably 3rd or 5th feat. so you can change the list quickly in mid combat to trun the tide of battle in your favor or more.

NobleSavage
2008-06-25, 01:21 AM
On the psionic point, I can certainly see the value of psionic focus to a Warblade, but Wild Talent always seems like a waste of a feat to me. I'd think that 2-4 levels of Psychic Warrior would be a better way to qualify: You'd only lose 1 BAB and 1 or 2 initiator levels, but you'd gain a couple of bonus feats and some nice powers.

Y'all make a good point so hows this look?

Archivist//Warblade (Power Attack, Cleave)
Archivist//Psionic Warrior (Psionic Weapon)
Archivist//Psionic Warrior (Psionic Meditation) (Extend Spell?)

ladditude
2008-06-25, 02:23 AM
Take the warblade levels later if you can, since they actually scale do to initiator levels. Now, this may not work since you are starting at 1st level, but it would be best to go Archivist4//Psychic Warrior 4 then start taking Warblade. That way you start out with an initiator level 3, which gives you better options for you first batch of manuevers. And due to how initiator levels work, never ever take odd levels of other classes....

NobleSavage
2008-06-25, 01:06 PM
Taking the first level of Warblade later on isn't nearly as important as taking a class like Swordsage, as you only get 3 starting maneuvers and enough of the second level maneuvers require another in the same discipline as a prerequisite. Additionally, the first stance you pick up is always 1st level, no matter your initiator level. Weigh this against losing out on BAB timing and the 4 hp at first level and I'm ok waiting on Psionic Warrior.

Anyway, thanks guys, you've been lots of help, 'preciate it.