PDA

View Full Version : so, both members of the relationship are leading...

krossbow
2008-06-24, 01:03 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that, without roy, the two OotS members in a romantic relationship took over as leaders? Elan on his end, Haley on hers. It's going to be somewhat interesting to see how things end up when the two meet together (whenever that finally happens)

Morty
2008-06-24, 01:10 PM
I have to admit, I didn't notice Elan becoming a leader of "his" part of the Order. He obeys Hinjo's orders just as Vaarsuvius and Durkon do.

VForVaarsuvius
2008-06-24, 01:20 PM
Yeah, there's no real 'Leader' on Elan's side other then the Paladins. Although I have to say, Elan is helping a lot.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-24, 01:21 PM
I agree with Mort (Elan probably only took charge of the diplomatic mission because of his high Cha in addition to his (apparently) large collection of Diplomacy ranks).

puzpuz
2008-06-24, 01:23 PM
First - it's a good made cliche.

Second - who did you expect to be the leader? in Azure City, Haly is the best to lead (would you let Belkar lead?!) and in the other group, it might be more expected that Vaarsuvius will lead, but it's Rich Burlew - so it's just requested tht Elan would be the leader.

Ninja
2008-06-24, 01:42 PM
I have to admit, I didn't notice Elan becoming a leader of "his" part of the Order. He obeys Hinjo's orders just as Vaarsuvius and Durkon do.

same here... he's just obeyin Hinjo.... he's no more of a leader than Durkon is.... and V's gone crazu so (s)he's excluded...

factotum
2008-06-24, 01:55 PM
Elan isn't leading anything. Since he has such a high Charisma people tend to listen to him, but once they realise how brain-dead whatever he's just said is, they go away and listen to someone with brains...like Hinjo.

krossbow
2008-06-24, 02:24 PM
based simply on the mission they got sent on, which he was more or less in charge of. True, that might be just because of his high charisma though. We'd have to see the next situation they enter into.

sihnfahl
2008-06-24, 02:27 PM
V's gone crazu so (s)he's excluded...
V hasn't gone crazy. V's gone singleminded. V's so focused on one task - contacting Haley - that V is ignoring everything else around him/her. Heck, V's even ignoring his/her own health!

Liwen
2008-06-24, 02:42 PM
V hasn't gone crazy. V's gone singleminded. V's so focused on one task - contacting Haley - that V is ignoring everything else around him/her. Heck, V's even ignoring his/her own health!

She/he/it/whatever looks more and more like a Sith. A Sith!

You can be all veiny and preserve your sanity, her/is obsseision will only lead to failure, thus she/he/it/whatever'll become angry. Then she/he/it/whatever'll devellop glutonny to eat her/his emotions and become a little faty. But that won't be enough to contain the eventual hatred and the suffering and one day, a Sith master will come by, say a few words with a scary voice, Hinjo will try to stop him, but V will cast desintegrate at the climax and send hinjo of a 500 floor tall building. V will then proceed to track down her mate to rule the universe with her/him, only to find out the mate hasn't gone insane and doesn't want ultimate power.

Ninja
2008-06-24, 03:10 PM
V's so focused on one task - contacting Haley - that V is ignoring everything else around him/her. Heck, V's even ignoring his/her own health!

which is prety much crazy.....

AceOfFools
2008-06-24, 09:51 PM
While was the leader of the squad on the island in the puppet leading orcs arch, he was doing it at the command of another. Elan is very comfortable being around people with more power and authority than him, being a bard and all. Further, he is very willing to let people do their own thing.

Haley didn't chose to be the leader of her group either, its just sort of inevitable. She's aching to hand the headache over to someone who signed up for dealing with it.

I predict...the time apart isn't going to change the group dynamic much, if at all, when they get back together.

And, no I don't think that deserved the box, but Rich said all predictions...

Warren Dew
2008-06-24, 10:00 PM
same here... he's just obeyin Hinjo.... he's no more of a leader than Durkon is.... and V's gone crazu so (s)he's excluded...

I was actually under the impression that Durkon was leading that half of the party. Maybe I'm crazy ... or maybe he's such a good leader no one notices.

Draz74
2008-06-25, 02:36 AM
I would agree that Elan is ... closer to leading his half of the party than Durkon or V are. That's not saying much ... Hinjo is mostly the leader of that side.

It's really not that strange, though. All three -- Haley, Elan, and Hinjo -- have two things in common (with each other and with Roy), and I'm not talking about them being in relationships (which Hinjo isn't):

They're human.
They have much higher Charisma than Belkar, V, or Durkon.

I'm not sure how much race matters. There doesn't seem to be too much racial tension (especially elf vs. dwarf) in the OotSverse. But maybe humans are just better leaders than other races ... maybe because they're the "middle race" that all the other demihumans can relate to?

But the Charisma part definitely matters. Charisma is explicitly described as, partially, representing leadership abilities.

Kurald Galain
2008-06-25, 03:26 AM
They have much higher Charisma than Belkar, V, or Durkon.

That's pretty much the reason, I'd say. Although I'm not sure what the cha mod on an OOTS Sylph is.

kpenguin
2008-06-25, 03:31 AM
Elan's not really leading his side of the split party. Hinjo is, though you could say that Elan is his left-hand man (right-hand is Daigo :smallwink:)

However, each of the split parties is a Power Trio (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerTrio), or so it appears to me. And Elan and Haley are both Kirks/Egos.

The trios are:

Elan (Kirk/Ego)
Vaarsuvius (McCoy/Id)
Durkon (Spock/Superego)

Haley (Kirk/Ego)
Belkar (McCoy/Id)
Celia (Spock/Superego)

Ninja
2008-06-25, 03:56 AM
Elan's not really leading his side of the split party. Hinjo is, though you could say that Elan is his left-hand man (right-hand is Daigo :smallwink:)

i wouldn't say he's his left - hand man... they are all following his orders, and Elan thinks it's his job to protect him, so that's why he's always around him...

Niknokitueu
2008-06-25, 05:00 AM
Heh. I can forsee a possible fun event:

What if Haley eventually rejoins the other half of OotS, and enters V's meditation chamber whilst V is concentrating on contacting her?

:vaarsuvius: ...must contact Haley...
:haley: "Hi Vaarsuvius, I just got on board the ship, and thought it would be nice to catch up..."
:vaarsuvius: (rants to the heavens) "Why do you torment me, gods? I can almost hear Haley's voice. Why torment me so?"
:haley: "Umm..."

Very unlikely, but with Rich you just never know :smallbiggrin:

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu
ps. Whilst it is inevitable that the second-in-command would end up leading one half of OotS (hey, it is either her or Belkar...), the court is still out on Elan. He has a slightly elevated position as Hinjo's bodyguard, but IMO that is all...

factotum
2008-06-25, 06:21 AM
Haley didn't chose to be the leader of her group either, its just sort of inevitable. She's aching to hand the headache over to someone who signed up for dealing with it.

Actually, Haley DID technically sign up to lead her group, because she tricked Roy into making her second-in-command of the Order back in On the Origin of PCs--therefore, with Roy dead, she is now de facto leader of the whole OotS. The fact she pulled that trick in an attempt to get a greater share of any treasure they found is irrelevant.

Morgan Wick
2008-06-25, 03:26 PM
What if Haley eventually rejoins the other half of OotS, and enters V's meditation chamber whilst V is concentrating on contacting her?

:haley: "Hi Vaarsuvius, I just got on board the ship, and thought it would be nice to catch up..."
:vaarsuvius: (rants to the heavens) "Why do you torment me, gods? I can almost hear Haley's voice. Why torment me so?"
:haley: "Umm..."

Very unlikely, but with Rich you just never know :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I'd say something like that has a pretty decent chance of happening, if it turns out to be possible. Of course, V would refer to her as "Miss Starshine"...

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-06-25, 06:02 PM
Um, but wasn't Elan the one who kept getting the party in and out of trouble? What exactly did the paladins do?

Sorry, but I still see Elan as the main guy of this crew. Maybe I'm just biased towards him, but I'm just sick of seeing him being written off as useless.

And while Haley still needs to improve, she did a great job of getting a resistance movement together.

Yeah, it's gonna be very interesting when the part reunites. (hopefully really soon!)

AceOfFools
2008-06-26, 10:17 PM
Actually, Haley DID technically sign up to lead her group, because she tricked Roy into making her second-in-command of the Order back in On the Origin of PCs--therefore, with Roy dead, she is now de facto leader of the whole OotS. The fact she pulled that trick in an attempt to get a greater share of any treasure they found is irrelevant.

'Cause she was thinking "I'm going to lead this group if Roy ever gets killed," when she extorted her way into that position and raise.

You are, technically, correct (and that is the best kind of correct), but being the second to someone who you can turn problems over to when they get to big to handle is a vastly different from where she is now being forced to contend with Belkar Brand Insanity on a daily basis.

And there is very little doubt she wants her CO back, doing his job. It would free up her schedule for ill-getting gains and spending time with the new boyfriend (y'know once they get over this over a hundred miles apart thing).