PDA

View Full Version : OotS - the Conclusion

Liwen
2008-06-24, 02:56 PM
This is nit a thread about what will happen at the end of OotS, what will be the final climax and the final events of the strip. This thead is about wondering what will happen to the GIant after he's done with this comic. Will he start another?, Will their be no end to the comic? Will someelse start a new comic to ensure the survival of this website, because as good as Erfworld can be, i don't think 2-3 updates a month is enough to keep your readers. Shall it be a OotS spin off?

Personnally, I believe Rich won't end his career with OotS, he'll start something else, probably sitll with he's current art style, maybe even still very related to D&D, just not with the same characters, or the same world. I'm sure he's good enough of a writer to create entirely new main charaters that would be a good as the Order.

Ninja
2008-06-24, 03:07 PM
Will their be no end to the comic?

OOTS does indeed have a finite lifespan, however, and I already know what the last panel of the last comic will be, so don't expect it to linger around forever.

so, yes, there will be an end to the comic.... whatever The Giant will do next is his bussines, he may as well choose to stop drawin and open a bar, but that is his bussines....

Oslecamo
2008-06-24, 03:11 PM
Even if the comic has an end, he material for years to come.

I preview we'll have several big story arcs, each around one of the remaining gates, and each with a big stylish battle for the gate itself.

In the end, the battles between Xykon and the Oots make realitycrumble and the Snarl starting breack free, entering the last arc, in wich the party must save the universe(or not).

Paragon Badger
2008-06-24, 03:27 PM

I preview we'll have several big story arcs, each around one of the remaining gates, and each with a big stylish battle for the gate itself.

In the end, the battles between Xykon and the Oots make realitycrumble and the Snarl starting breack free, entering the last arc, in wich the party must save the universe(or not).

Rocks fall, everyone dies?

The Hop Goblin
2008-06-24, 09:21 PM
I have a feeling, with the death of the Oracle, that it is signifying we're past the half-way point and beginning to move towards conclusion in the next 400 comics or so.

Lord_Drayakir
2008-06-24, 10:17 PM
Ugh, that would be the worst mid-point ever.

I suppose that a) there will be a lot of pleas by the fans for Rich to continue the OotS, and b) fans attempting to write spin-offs. Both will fail miserably.

As for the in-comic ending, I kinda hope :xykon: survives. And becomes more LE. Two of my favorite things are LE liches... yeah. But on a realistic note, I should think that Durkon is fated to repeat the dwarf guy of the Order of the Scribble, V will pull a Dorukan, Elan will protect the remaining gate with illusions that are meant to be cunning, but really aren't, and will just stupefy people that might want to get to the gate, resulting them in leaving in disgust. The Wheel of Time turns and legends fade to myths, and myths fade in legends... and so on and so forth. It's all cyclic, y'know.

But realistically, yes, I think that's what will happen. The Order of the Stick will repeat the Order of the Scribble, and we'll be shown Roy's son picking a spellbook instead of a sword as a baby.

VForVaarsuvius
2008-06-24, 10:24 PM
Ugh, that would be the worst mid-point ever.

I suppose that a) there will be a lot of pleas by the fans for Rich to continue the OotS, and b) fans attempting to write spin-offs. Both will fail miserably.

As for the in-comic ending, I kinda hope :xykon: survives. And becomes more LE. Two of my favorite things are LE liches... yeah. But on a realistic note, I should think that Durkon is fated to repeat the dwarf guy of the Order of the Scribble, V will pull a Dorukan, Elan will protect the remaining gate with illusions that are meant to be cunning, but really aren't, and will just stupefy people that might want to get to the gate, resulting them in leaving in disgust. The Wheel of Time turns and legends fade to myths, and myths fade in legends... and so on and so forth. It's all cyclic, y'know.

But realistically, yes, I think that's what will happen. The Order of the Stick will repeat the Order of the Scribble, and we'll be shown Roy's son picking a spellbook instead of a sword as a baby.

Xykon... Lawful...? He's chaotic to the bone, and I intend the pun! Unless you mean something other then Lawful Evil then LE.

As for the topic, in the URL there's an extra 0 at the end of the number. Unless Rich is just trying to screw with us, that means there is at least 1000 strips total. So yeah by that logic we're 70 past the halfway point.

Maecenas
2008-06-25, 05:20 AM
Remember the Oracle:
a) My favourite idea of an ending, namely that the Snarl is shown devouring the last page, is impossible because Elan must have a happy ending.
b) Durkon has to be buried somewhere up North. If I know OOTS right, Rich doesn't want to leave any threads untied (for example, I had completely forgotten the memory thing, but he obviously hadn't), so we'll probably see Durkon's death before the story ends. Oh, and is it just me or was there some sort of other prophecy about him? I haven't read the book.
c) V's rise to absolute power. Lots and lots of theories about this one, I expect...
And well, I just think Rich likes to be unpredictable. You'll probably have to be clinically insane to actually figure out what it's going to end with.

Ninja
2008-06-25, 05:26 AM
you know i just thought of something... Durkon will return to the Dwarven lands posthumously.... but what if he gets rezzed once hes there?

.....just a thought....

King of Nowhere
2008-06-25, 06:40 AM
About possible sequels, writing is actually Rich's job, so he either write a sequel (but I don't think he'll do) or write some other story. With his illness, it's unlikely that he'll find some other job.
Anyway, I'll read whatever he will write. Even if it will not match OOTS, it will still be worthy.

Wreckingrocc
2008-06-25, 11:57 AM
WTF... I just typed up a two paragraph idea, and it dissapeared...

I was saying that I though The Giant should produce a series of spin off comics, maybe little 20-pagers about one topic or another, just so it could be like OOTS in the earlier years, when they ran around in random dungeons, killing random monsters, cracking funny jokes that made me laugh... That's all changed now. If Rich makes the spin offs, then we'd get something new every couple of months :D

NorseItalian
2008-06-25, 12:14 PM
I think Rich will pull a "Bill Watterson-" that is, he'll finish the comic and the vanish, probably becoming a smelly hermit somewhere.

SPoD
2008-06-25, 12:26 PM
He recently mentioned wanting to go into writing mainstream comic books on the News page, I see no reason he couldn't do that if he didn't have OOTS to take up his time.

I will be surprised if there's a direct sequel, but another stick figure comic in a different genre would be interesting. Like science fiction, for example. "Battlestick Lineactica" or "Stick Trek" or some such.

Kato
2008-06-25, 12:48 PM
The climax... dunno... an epic battle against Xykon and the Snarl I assume... maybe with MitD and RC changing sides to save existence... X surely doesn't care as long as it's funny.
I wonder most about V's fate... I think Rich likes lampshading tropes by either overusing them or completely ruining. I expect the old 'becomes all powerful being and then sacrifices to do XXX' trope (I dont know the exact name, sorry) to be pulled in some manner... Or V will gain them way earlier and then leave - or leave to gain them - and the reappear in a final heroic rescue or so.

Red XIV
2008-06-25, 02:30 PM

Like Maecenas said, the Snarl can't destroy the universe, because Elan is getting a happy ending.

Ninja
2008-06-25, 02:33 PM
Like Maecenas said, the Snarl can't destroy the universe, because Elan is getting a happy ending.

this is Elan we're speakin about... he thought his happy ending was when he got a whistle from Belkar.... but despite that, i dont think Rich will just destroy the whole Stickyverse....