PDA

View Full Version : Comic 'Closed Captioning'

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-06-24, 05:31 PM
Someone suggested recently that it'd be an interesting idea to have a sort of close captioning for the comic, perhaps even a way to search for a comic by a certain line or words.

I would be willing to volunteer to at least begin transcribing the comic (if it hasn't been already) if this would be something the Giant would be interested in.

greecetrap
2008-06-24, 06:45 PM
I know that, on the OotS wikia, we're starting to provide transcripts for all the strips. So, if you'd like to help out on that, it'd be great!

puppyavenger
2008-06-24, 07:17 PM
I know that, on the OotS wikia, we're starting to provide transcripts for all the strips. So, if you'd like to help out on that, it'd be great!

there's an OOT's wikia?

Szilard
2008-06-24, 08:23 PM
Yeah, www.oots.wikia.com or maybe there is no www...

Chronos
2008-06-24, 10:04 PM
Doing it on the Wiki would be the best way to go, since it wouldn't require any action from Rich (who has his hands full enough drawing the comic and maintaining the site as it is). But we should still probably get his official permission, at least, since it could be construed as a violation of his copyright otherwise. And, of course, because it'd only be polite to ask, even if it's not necessary.

Joran
2008-06-25, 10:05 AM
I also know the existence of ohnorobot, which ThreePanelSoul and xkcd use. It's pretty handy to find the comic you remembered from 2-3 years ago, but can't remember what it was called.

Regardless of site, I think this would be particularly useful and I volunteer my services as well.

Tirian
2008-06-25, 01:38 PM
Doing it on the Wiki would be the best way to go, since it wouldn't require any action from Rich (who has his hands full enough drawing the comic and maintaining the site as it is). But we should still probably get his official permission, at least, since it could be construed as a violation of his copyright otherwise. And, of course, because it'd only be polite to ask, even if it's not necessary.

According to one of the pages on the wiki, Rich did give permission to use the text as long as he is credited and the .jpgs aren't used at all. It seems strange to me that he needs to protect stick-figure art so much more than the word-by-word description of an epic story, but I guess that's why I'm not a copyright lawyer.

Stormthorn
2008-07-03, 12:26 AM
but I guess that's why I'm not a copyright lawyer.

Or are you!? Dun dun dun! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40)

Man, i didnt know we had a wiki!