PDA

View Full Version : GitP Chats?

UserClone
2008-06-24, 07:34 PM
I see various posts in Friendly Banter referring to chats with other forum members, but there is never any mention of where or when. A little help?

Zakama
2008-06-24, 08:57 PM
A lot of people have AIM or MSN here, they're probably talking about that. There's a GitP chat room in AIM called (EDIT: okay, for now I'll take the name down) if you want to join.

Ego Slayer
2008-06-24, 08:58 PM
Well, if you want to talk to someone specific, see if their IM info is in their profile. There is no public GitP chatroom.

^: Zakama... No saying that name! Not Public!

UserClone
2008-06-24, 09:29 PM
And if I just wanted to find a place to chat with nonspecific Playgrounders?
*makes with the puppy dog eyes*

B-Man
2008-06-24, 09:52 PM
There's an unofficial Giant in the Playground IRC channel. Thread describing it found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12321).

Serpentine
2008-06-25, 01:41 AM
^: Zakama... No saying that name! Not Public!Is it a place for you and your friends to chat, or is it a place for people from gitp to chat and become friends? Because I thought it was the latter, but if it's the former, let me know and I'll start a new one and go there.

Flighty McPigeonpants, at the moment it's gitp. If it turns out that it's been decided that that's an exclusive invitations-only affair, I'll start another one. I think my aim and MSN are both on my profile, you can add me and bug me to get on with it if you want.

Zakama
2008-06-25, 02:05 AM
I've gotta agree with Serpy here, Ego. Why is it not public? Give me one good reason.

Serpentine
2008-06-25, 02:07 AM
Well, one possible good reason is that she started it. Thus my offer to start a new one - probably just go back to ootschat.

Player_Zero
2008-06-25, 02:08 AM

Fascist! Rise my comrades! Seize the power of this country! We can no longer abide under the rule of this tyrant! :smalltongue:

...Don't worry. You always have me. I'll always wub you.

...I also have MSN, but then again, I doubt you want to add me what with the crazy blathering about Disney movies an' all. :smalltongue:

@\/ Bad editting and not proof-reading. Leave me be.

Warpfire
2008-06-25, 02:13 AM
Rise can seize the power of this country! :

So wait, there's a person named Rise?

Someone's parents didn't love them very much.

banjo1985
2008-06-25, 04:02 AM
I had no idea there was a special giantito chat area on AIM...mind you, I don't really use AIM, so I guess I shouldn't know.

I've had plenty of playgrounder chats though, and have been known to talk to almost anyone. I has MSN and I'll put the address on my profile. If you're one of the lucky people not to have had a conversation with me inflicted upon you, then feel free to add me :smallbiggrin:

Kyrian
2008-06-25, 07:19 AM

Ego never invites me anymore :(

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-25, 08:04 AM
So to say what has been sayed in this thread :
We have :
AIM(American Instant Messenger, I think it stood for) : By invite only, so you have to ask somebody(Ego Slayer)
MSN : Lots of us(atleast I and some SMBG'ers do), you have to add somebody to start a chat with them. So you have to ask, since we(atleast not I) am/are not publicly posting our e-mail adress. Feel free to ask in PM's though.
(M)IRC : gitp chat channel there, have never been there personally so I can't say anything about it really, the channel. If you need help with it I can help you out I think, and I have a mom who uses it actively and my brother who uses it actively.
____
That's pretty much it, and ohyeah, there are sometimes also entire conversations by PM's. Feel free to drop by a PM if you want to talk about something or such, though there is also just the RB thread.

Player_Zero
2008-06-25, 08:15 AM
AIM stands for AOL instant messenger. Which in turn stands for America Online instant messenger.

And I post my email address... It's their own fault if people add me, I can't be held responsible for their trauma... Besides, I want people to talk at. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2008-06-25, 08:19 AM
Ego never invites me anymore :(

Invite yourself? I do it all the time.

Kyrian
2008-06-25, 08:25 AM
Invite yourself? I do it all the time.

I don't know if Trillian has that option? :smallconfused:

B-Man
2008-06-25, 08:27 AM
Serpentine, Zakama: The AIM chat has been private for several reasons. It was only public domain when it was known as ootschat and that was during the Forum Swap of '06.

The Rose Dragon
2008-06-25, 08:37 AM
Serpentine, Zakama: The AIM chat has been private for several reasons. It was only public domain when it was known as ootschat and that was during the Forum Swap of '06.

It was public long after that, all the way until Summer '07. It became elitist only after that.

Also, give us some of those reasons you mention.

B-Man
2008-06-25, 08:41 AM
I don't want to state direct reasons, but some reasons where discussed in this thread.

Player_Zero
2008-06-25, 08:46 AM
I don't want to state direct reasons, but some reasons where discussed in this thread.

That some people who are unlikely to be still around, who were never mentioned, and may not exist don't like each other?

This is the worst kind of discrimination! The kind against me!

The Rose Dragon
2008-06-25, 08:51 AM
The kind against everyone not part of a clique, not just against you. :smallannoyed:

Player_Zero
2008-06-25, 08:58 AM
Just a quote, just a quote...

Well, we don't need them and their 'I'm-so-much-better-than-you' chat! We'll start our own chat! It'll be the most rootinest tootinest chat in the Wild West, boy howdy!

The Rose Dragon
2008-06-25, 09:03 AM
And we'll name it... gitp!

banjo1985
2008-06-25, 09:05 AM

Well, we don't need them and their 'I'm-so-much-better-than-you' chat! We'll start our own chat! It'll be the most rootinest tootinest chat in the Wild West, boy howdy!

Preach it good sir!

What say you to a good ol' Brit chat, with cucumber sandwiches and afternoon tea? I might even be convinced to bring scones!

Serpentine
2008-06-25, 10:41 AM
Serpentine, Zakama: The AIM chat has been private for several reasons. It was only public domain when it was known as ootschat and that was during the Forum Swap of '06.You mean because people couldn't be bothered just using the "block" button or better yet, talking things out like reasonable people? If it's a private thing for Ego and her friends, then, well, I might not leave that one completely but that's not what I wanted.

People wanting to chat to anyone, not just special invited folk: In your AIM program of choice, invite whoever you like, including yourself, to ootschat. That's all you need to do to start a chat, and going with something simple like that helps. I'd start it myself but I'm going to bed.
edit: And if you decide to be an excessive pain, be prepared to 1. realise that the rules of the forum don't apply there, only those of common courtesy and ettiquette, 2. be blocked, or 3. have the whole thing moved on you. If it's possible to actually kick people out, you might get that too, but I don't think it is.
Ego, if that's your private chat room, maybe you should just start one called "egochat" or something.

Solo
2008-06-25, 10:43 AM
Well, if you want to talk to someone specific, see if their IM info is in their profile. There is no public GitP chatroom.

Ack! That-Which-Must-Not-Be-Mentioned-Except-in-Passing-on-a-Thursday!

Ego Slayer
2008-06-25, 11:02 AM
Do we have to go over this every time a thread comes up? :smallmad:

It's not my chat. However I've been there since it was created and intend to defend it's wellbeing regardless of how much it makes me look like a bitch.

"Block" is no good unless everyone blocks the offending person. Otherwise, it's an awkward mess and accomplishes nothing.

Now, can we PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT IT?! It is what it is, and it does no good talking about it.

Player_Zero
2008-06-25, 11:16 AM
Now, can we PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT IT?! It is what it is, and it does no good talking about it.

You cannot deny the truth!

Bah... If I knew how to make one of these 'chat' dealies I'd just make one where all the denizens of the internet could play and dance and sing.

You want to make an exclusive club? Fine, just don't act snooty about it and try to cover it up with lies and decepticons lest the sky fall upon you! :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I should never be allowed into chatrooms. :smalltongue:

Heh... Decepticons...

Serpentine
2008-06-25, 11:21 AM
So who gets to decide who's allowed in and who's not? Is it or is it not a chat for people from the forums to get to know each other? If it's not public, it's private, and if it's private, it belongs to someone, so whose is it? If it's an exclusive club, then I want an open one, in addition or instead, I don't mind.

So, everyone who wants to chat: Every time I go into AIM, I will be opening "ootschat" as well. You are all most welcome to join it, and I encourage "gitp"ers to do the same.

edit: ootschat is officially open for business. Tell all your (Playground) friends!

Haruki-kun
2008-06-25, 12:17 PM
Well, there IS the GITP Gabbly chat, but I think most people seem to have lost interest in it.

It was pretty nice when it had people, though.

Ego Slayer
2008-06-25, 12:20 PM
Only problem with Gabbly was that you could type in whatever name you wanted to use.

I know that one time that "Amotis"... wasn't actually Amotis. I was Amotis. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2008-06-25, 12:26 PM
Only problem with Gabbly was that you could type in whatever name you wanted to use.

I know that one time that "Amotis"... wasn't actually Amotis. I was Amotis. :smallbiggrin:

Hehehe..... I'm not gonna pretend I never did that in Gabbly. :smallbiggrin:

Zakama
2008-06-25, 01:53 PM
Well, there IS the GITP Gabbly chat, but I think most people seem to have lost interest in it.

It was pretty nice when it had people, though.

Ah, yes... I remember my brainchild. Good times, good times...

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-25, 01:55 PM
And if you decide to be an excessive pain, be prepared to 1. realise that the rules of the forum don't apply there, only those of common courtesy and ettiquette, 2. be blocked, or 3. have the whole thing moved on you.
That's why we try to keep it quiet; the reason it's not at ootschat anymore is because we moved it on somebody, and if you move it and then trumpet the new name over the forums, the person you moved it on will simply follow and you have the whole problem again. :smallsigh:

Player_Zero
2008-06-25, 02:05 PM
That's why we try to keep it quiet; the reason it's not at ootschat anymore is because we moved it on somebody, and if you move it and then trumpet the new name over the forums, the person you moved it on will simply follow and you have the whole problem again. :smallsigh:

So you want to exclude someone you don't like? Okay doke, then just tell them to take a trip off of Hoover Dam, don't do your Dark World Dealings when you should be tellin' them to their Clown Face.

@\/ No you! :smalltongue:

FdL
2008-06-25, 02:39 PM
This threads sucks a lot...And I have to say I'm surprised at your attitude, Serpentine.

But in general I'll just say "meh".

*leaves, a little bit more dissapointed on people*

UserClone
2008-06-25, 02:55 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to have caused a flame war, but...I can see both of your points of view. And I love you both. And no one is a bitch. Kthxbai.

Serpentine
2008-06-26, 01:06 AM
This threads sucks a lot...And I have to say I'm surprised at your attitude, Serpentine.

But in general I'll just say "meh".

*leaves, a little bit more dissapointed on people*You shouldn't be. It's no more than I passed on through you last time.

Paladin: Both of those people have been banned and disappeared. Frankly, I think it was incredibly rude and immature to move it like that, and options 1. and 2. are vastly more preferable, unless that's just temporary to get the point across or make them go away (something I would much prefer didn't happen). If you want an exclusive invitations-only club thing, fine. I am now inviting everyone in the Playground.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-06-26, 01:52 AM
Wow!:eek:

I never expected to see THOSE playgrounders acting like that.

I'm pretty sure both my MSN and my AIM accounts are in my profile, feel free to add either, but expect a very harsh "who are YOU?" the first time you e-mail IM me.

My MSN has three or four Playgrounders on it, already, so why not join THAT crowd.

Warning: I'm currently without access to the MSN, being at sea and all...

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-26, 05:59 AM
Paladin: Both of those people have been banned and disappeared. Frankly, I think it was incredibly rude and immature to move it like that, and options 1. and 2. are vastly more preferable, unless that's just temporary to get the point across or make them go away (something I would much prefer didn't happen). If you want an exclusive invitations-only club thing, fine. I am now inviting everyone in the Playground.
There comes a point where being rude and immature really isn't anymore, because it's the last option left. We tried every means available to get Rex to calm down and stop disrupting everything every five minutes and nothing short of just ditching him worked. You should know this; you were there.

That said, one can only hope he's not still watching, but it's hard to know. I've learned from long experience that longtime board members who become a problem and are banned will too often simply try to find a way back on rather than giving up and leaving. And besides, people who aren't Playgrounders can read this thread; I have no objection to inviting just about anyone who wants to come (via PM), but having the name of an AIM chat on a public webpage is lunacy. Problem users aside, you attract spambots that way.

Quincunx
2008-06-26, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the world of trying to defend a space without software tools or malfunctioning tools; it forces you to use your wits. (Flaming doesn't work. Proven through torturous experiment *gouges own eyes out* that cannot be unseeeeeeeeeeeen. . .) However, if you all had the tools to remove annoying_person_X and didn't do it, that's not the fault of the software.

*pops into the IRC room* It appears open and the ops are restricted, so the tools to keep it civil are in place. On the other hand, that chat never seems to speak on Euro time.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-06-26, 06:58 AM

And there'll be blackjack! And Hookers!

Actually forget the blackjack ...
and the Hookers ...

Ah screw the whole damn thing.

zeratul
2008-06-26, 07:11 AM
You mean because people couldn't be bothered just using the "block" button or better yet, talking things out like reasonable people? If it's a private thing for Ego and her friends, then, well, I might not leave that one completely but that's not what I wanted.

It's not as cliquey as you would seem to think. There is a group of regulars that go to it, but a bunch of other people have entered, or enter it now and then. Generally new people start going into it when another forum member finds out they have an AIM and invites them. And since there have on a few occasions been fights there it wouldn't make sense to think that everyone there is necessarily friends with one another, most are some aren't. therefor the clique notion is rather foolish.

banjo1985
2008-06-26, 08:17 AM
Honestly for all my misplaced humour, I can see both side sof this. There are people (not many, but a few) that I would NOT want to end up in a chat with, not on this site but in general. I can see that previous bad experience makes a private invite-only chat one hell of a tempting prospect.

At the same time, having something that's initially open to everyone is also nice, and I support any attempt made to open such a thing up, mainly so that I can pretend to be popular :smalltongue:

YPU
2008-06-26, 09:30 AM
i agree, i can see how some people would prefer a colsed and private chat, its realy frustrating when a good idea ends up bad becouse of others you did not whant there in the first place.
however since i am not part of the private one, and have decide to be active in the public 'ootchat' one, i was wondering;
could sombody make baners? I'm rather bad at that so wont be good for activety if i would do it but could sombody pleeeease make a baner? :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2008-06-26, 11:15 AM
Ask someone in Arts&Crafts.:smallconfused:

Calamity
2008-06-26, 11:35 AM
I am now inviting everyone in the Playground.

This is gonna sound like a very stupid question, but: How do I find it?

Player_Zero
2008-06-26, 11:40 AM
This is gonna sound like a very stupid question, but: How do I find it?

This AIM confuses and infuriates me! How the hell do I even change the name people see from my email to something else?!

RasmfrasmdickdastardlyRasmfrasm...

Calamity
2008-06-26, 11:48 AM
:smallsigh:

I forget about those profile pages. Now I feel really stupid.
EDIT: Actually, that didn't help. I don't think I have any idea what I'm talking about.

Gaelbert
2008-06-26, 01:34 PM
Somewhat on topic: I completely forgot where the "invite" button is on AIM. Anybody care to help me?

Renegade Paladin
2008-06-26, 01:57 PM
What version of AIM/other chat client (I recommend Trillian, personally) are you using?

YPU
2008-06-26, 01:58 PM
i think it depends on the version, im net to it, but the way it worked for me was the actions buton then chat and then budy chat and then invite yourself to ootschat.

Gaelbert
2008-06-26, 02:05 PM
AIM version 6.0.28.1
(c) 2006
Edit: Okay, I got it. Thanks.

Player_Zero
2008-06-26, 04:33 PM
Woo! I got it working! I'm the grEEtest! :smalltongue:

Come on everyone, it's a party in Ootschat. :smallbiggrin:

UserClone
2008-06-26, 05:24 PM
Indeed. It still is.