PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3.0

Kane
2008-06-24, 10:00 PM
Not sure, but I figure an internet browser is some form of media.

What's everyone think of it?

VForVaarsuvius
2008-06-24, 10:06 PM
I like it, although I don't see that much of a difference. I'm still getting used to the stuff that looks new, but all the updates that I notice are pretty cool.

starwoof
2008-06-24, 10:10 PM
I really like how when I start typing something it seeks through my enormous favorites bar to find that something. It makes navigating 200 bookmarked sited easier.

I also like being totally annoying and bothering people about it.:smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2008-06-24, 10:15 PM
I like it okay, too, but like VforVaarsuvius I don't see TOO many differences other than just the look and the auto-completing URL bar thing.

Kane
2008-06-24, 10:20 PM
Okay. One of the reasons I made this thread was because I wasn't seeing any real differences, and I wanted to stealthily sound out everyone else to make sure I wasn't being unusually thick.

It seems nice, tabs are smoother for me, but aside from the shiny buttons and the lack of a 'go' button in the URL bar, (something I've always liked, and am now vaguely distressed over it's absence.) there doesn't seem to be much change. Not that it's bad, (Firefox, people.), I just don't see major changes.

starwoof
2008-06-24, 10:30 PM
Did firefox 2 really need any changes? I thought it was pretty dang perfect, and now they just added some things that made it even more perfect.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-24, 10:41 PM
Did firefox 2 really need any changes? I thought it was pretty dang perfect, and now they just added some things that made it even more perfect.

Yes, it did. Namely: memory leakage.

RTGoodman
2008-06-24, 11:17 PM
Okay. One of the reasons I made this thread was because I wasn't seeing any real differences, and I wanted to stealthily sound out everyone else to make sure I wasn't being unusually thick.

Here's a question - have you folks on FF3 noticed that the "Show" and "Hide" buttons on spoilers are different? Mine seem to have a different font or something, but I can't figure out if that's from the forum update, my upgrade to FF3, or something else entirely.

Dumbledore lives
2008-06-24, 11:25 PM
Here's a question - have you folks on FF3 noticed that the "Show" and "Hide" buttons on spoilers are different? Mine seem to have a different font or something, but I can't figure out if that's from the forum update, my upgrade to FF3, or something else entirely.

I think you may be right. I just upgraded and they do look sort of different. Huh. It's barely noticeable but it's there.

Reinboom
2008-06-24, 11:28 PM
My class table generators - as well as any class recording sheet - are also using smaller fonts now.
The Back/Forward buttons for my theme has also changed, and this is taking a lot to get used to...

The most visited link feels like wasted space to me.

It feels faster, overall.

The big upgrade however is, yes, the memory usage is a lot more stable now.

RTGoodman
2008-06-24, 11:30 PM
My class table generators - as well as any class recording sheet - are also using smaller fonts now.

Ah, I thought the other day that I'd just screwed up the zoom or something while looking at one of my sheets. I didn't even think about that coming from the FF update.

Echowinds
2008-06-24, 11:38 PM
Personally, I prefer Opera 9.5 over Firefox 3.

To me, Opera has most of the features I need where in Firefox I had to install a whole bunch of extensions to reach the same effect, realistically adding a lot of bloat.

Bryn
2008-06-25, 05:06 AM
Well, I was interested to see what's new too; here's (http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/06/12/655/) one list of the things that have changed.

It seems like a lot of the things they've changed are hidden things that have an effect but are sometimes difficult to notice.

Still, it's Firefox. That mean's it's awesome, and it's familiar.

factotum
2008-06-25, 06:23 AM
Speaking personally I think FF3 is definitely faster at rendering pages than FF2 was. Sure, the user interface is mostly the same (although at least the default icon set isn't as hideous as it was in FF2!), but I suspect most of the changes have been made under the hood...

Obrysii
2008-06-25, 07:16 AM
Yes, it did. Namely: memory leakage.

Huh. I have Firefox 3.0 and it still leaks memory like mad. Or simply uses substantially more RAM than Firefox 2.0 did.

valadil
2008-06-25, 10:38 AM
I mostly just played with the betas. My own machines have been boxed up for the last week since I'm half way through moving.

From what I saw it was a lot more efficient. The exception to that would be in windows on my laptop.

SVG integration is infinitely better than before. I have an ongoing project (http://code.thuranni.net/?p=4) to make an online D&D table in a web browser. FF3 runs it so much better than FF2 ever could have.

Reinboom
2008-06-25, 04:18 PM
I just discovered another minor change:
Alt text on images now wraps around instead of being cut off.

This means you can read the full alt text on XKCD without requiring to go in to properties.
:smalltongue:

Kane
2008-06-25, 04:38 PM
I just discovered another minor change:
Alt text on images now wraps around instead of being cut off.

This means you can read the full alt text on XKCD without requiring to go in to properties.
:smalltongue:

SCORE! TOTALLY WORTH IT!

You have just reaffirmed my faith in Firefox! Thank you!

Bryn
2008-06-25, 05:49 PM
There was already an extension that did that :smallamused:

One thing I have noticed is that it displays the alt-text until an image has loaded, which can be slightly disconcerting.

Tao Scientist
2008-06-28, 02:39 PM
How do you get Firefox 3.0 to properly display traditional Chinese characters? I don't see a language pack for Chinese. The extensions/plug ins are generally for on the fly translations.

Arameus
2008-06-28, 03:14 PM
Is that Cantonese or Mandarin, buddy? There is no such thing as 'Chinese' any more than there's 'Russian' or 'American.'

I can't actually tell any notable difference between IE and Firefox, but I use Firefox anyway because I am a tool and have been told it is superior and really for no other reason.

And if that sounds a lot like you, please, please admit it so I'm no the only one.

tyckspoon
2008-06-28, 03:28 PM
How do you get Firefox 3.0 to properly display traditional Chinese characters? I don't see a language pack for Chinese. The extensions/plug ins are generally for on the fly translations.

That is likely an OS setting and not a browser thing. For WinXP, look in Control Panel- Regional and Language Settings- Language tab. Turn on the boxes for 'East Asian Languages' and 'Complex script and right-to-left languages.' That should do it, assuming XP already has support for the character set you want.

Tao Scientist
2008-06-28, 03:43 PM
Is that Cantonese or Mandarin, buddy? There is no such thing as 'Chinese' any more than there's 'Russian' or 'American.'

Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, etc. are different spoken dialects. Written Chinese is generally separated in traditional and simplified character sets. I am a Cantonese speaker and write with the traditional character set.

That is likely an OS setting and not a browser thing.

I'm Chinese-American and uses English as my primary language, including the input/output from my computer. I simply want web pages that have Chinese characters in them to display properly.

bluish_wolf
2008-06-28, 04:35 PM
Cantonese, Mandarin, Hakka, etc. are different spoken dialects. Written Chinese is generally separated in traditional and simplified character sets. I am a Cantonese speaker and write with the traditional character set.

I'm Chinese-American and uses English as my primary language, including the input/output from my computer. I simply want web pages that have Chinese characters in them to display properly.

That's bizarre, though. I have East Asian fonts installed on my computer and Firefox has no issue displaying them on mine.

What you may want to try to do is go to:
1) View
2) Character Encoding
3) Auto-Detect
4) Traditional Chinese

Jayabalard
2008-06-30, 08:21 AM
Better javascript performance.
Less memory leakage.
Phishing/malware protection.
Improved add-on manager.