PDA

View Full Version : NASA found ice on Mars

Justyn
2008-06-25, 12:56 AM
Title says is all: NASA found ice on Mars.

FOX News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361171,00.html)

Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080620/sc_nm/space_mars_dc)

Wired (http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/06/mars-phoenix-tw.html).

And straight from the horse's mouth. (http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/06_19_pr.php)

I hope that the Face on Mars is actualy a Gunmen.

Serpentine
2008-06-25, 01:27 AM
Huh? :smallconfused:
They've known there's ice on Mars for years... Sure they're not talking about water? >checks articles<

Conrad Poohs
2008-06-25, 02:47 AM
No, this was Party Ice they came across at a Martian service station.

starwoof
2008-06-25, 03:00 AM
I'll bet something horrible is frozen in it, waiting for something to thaw it out so it can devour us.

banjo1985
2008-06-25, 04:25 AM
I think the point is that they haven't known exactly what the ice was made of up until now. Apparently ice, can be made out of a shed load of different substances, and it's has to be a certain one to give an indication of possible life. I guess this is the proof they were after.

Plus it's underground rather than aboveground at the poles, which I guess is something different.

Emperor Ing
2008-06-25, 06:28 AM
Plus it's underground rather than aboveground at the poles, which I guess is something different.

Correction: they had to DIG for it. :smallamused:
Plus, I REALLY don't think anything carbon-based forms ice like that.

Fostire
2008-06-25, 10:54 AM
I think the point is that they haven't known exactly what the ice was made of up until now. Apparently ice, can be made out of a shed load of different substances, and it's has to be a certain one to give an indication of possible life. I guess this is the proof they were after.

If i recall correctly the ice that was found at the poles was frozen CO2 aka dry ice. For life you would look for frozen H2O which i think is what was found .

Shraik
2008-06-26, 11:55 AM
Well, some scientists speculize that life forms can be Silicon based as compared to Carbon based, and for all we know they can function and form with some different form of material.

UserClone
2008-06-26, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry, but I've got to call you on this one? Speculize?
I OBJECT!

Collin152
2008-06-26, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry, but I've got to call you on this one? Speculize?
I OBJECT!

You be objectifying with his speechification?

sikyon
2008-06-26, 04:07 PM
Well, some scientists speculize that life forms can be Silicon based as compared to Carbon based, and for all we know they can function and form with some different form of material.

Nothing can be like us without being carbon based. yes, there could be silicon based life but it would be vastly different than usl.

Eksar Lindisfar
2008-06-26, 04:09 PM
my two cents

Well...I agree with the scientists...not that I know too much about the subject but, we think that carbon-based life is the only possible life because we haven't seen any life in any other conditions, but in an infinite universe like this one, I believe that pretty much anything can be possible and that we haven't seen it is not proof enough to say that it doesn't exist

Phase
2008-06-27, 07:31 AM
I hope that we send out a rover to look for microbobes on mars next. We could find aliens!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-27, 07:33 AM
Meh. Most likely we'l all be wiped out before we find alien life.

SDF
2008-06-27, 07:48 AM
Meh. Most likely we'l all be wiped out before we find alien life.

The probability of life is extremely high. And to find it on a planet all you have to do is spectroscopically look at the planet through a telescope and look for an oxygen atmosphere. You find one? Bingo! Single celled photosynthetic organisms are confirmed.

Castaras
2008-06-27, 07:54 AM
The probability of life is extremely high. And to find it on a planet all you have to do is spectroscopically look at the planet through a telescope and look for an oxygen atmosphere. You find one? Bingo! Single celled photosynthetic organisms are confirmed.

Intelligent lifeforms, however, are harder to find. :smallamused:

I mean, we haven't found any yet on Earth. :smalltongue:

SDF
2008-06-27, 07:58 AM
Silicon lifeforms are very improbable do to the conditions necessary for them to form are counter intuitive to what we know about how solar systems cosmologically form.

Intelligent lifeforms, however, are harder to find. :smallamused:

I mean, we haven't found any yet on Earth. :smalltongue:

Then someone call the organization that arbitrarily hands out Nobel Prizes, because, baby, I just found one in a mirror... and it's really, really, ridiculously good looking too. *gets mobbed*

Collin152
2008-06-27, 01:53 PM
Then someone call the organization that arbitrarily hands out Nobel Prizes, because, baby, I just found one in a mirror... and it's really, really, ridiculously good looking too. *gets mobbed*

Mmm, allow me to investigate this supposed intelligent life.
While I'm at it, I'll judge if it's as good looking as you say.

Project_Mayhem
2008-06-27, 06:55 PM
Which of course leaves it to me to point out how unimpressive this news is.

linkytime (http://img.4chan.org/b/src/1214610350488.jpg)

Vuzzmop
2008-06-28, 12:15 AM
This is exactly the kind of useless time wasting I've come to expect from NASA. What exactly are we gaining from Mars exploration? It would make far more sense to divert their attentions to Venus and the study of global warming, but it seems to have slipped their minds.:smallannoyed:

turkishproverb
2008-06-28, 12:20 AM
This is exactly the kind of useless time wasting I've come to expect from NASA. What exactly are we gaining from Mars exploration? It would make far more sense to divert their attentions to Venus and the study of global warming, but it seems to have slipped their minds.:smallannoyed:

Not really. I've read articles in scientific journals that suggest Terraforming Mars wouldn't be that far beyond current human capabilities.

Jayngfet
2008-06-28, 12:21 AM
I'll bet something horrible is frozen in it, waiting for something to thaw it out so it can devour us.

...Spacefly?

Collin152
2008-06-28, 03:56 PM
and the study of global warming

Myth!

It is in fact, the dawning of a temperature recession.
A century or so from now, Ice Age!

Lord Herman
2008-06-28, 04:50 PM
Myth!

Either way, we're all going to die! Whether it's global warming, a new ice age, or just old age, we're all doomed!

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-28, 04:54 PM
Or a meteor. Or toxic gasses rising from the ground in all of Siberia and russia like they did earlier. Or General global warming causing UV radiation to go up and kill us all. And yeah I could go on. And these are the realistic ones. I haven't even started about the unrealistic ones.

*tucks safe plans back into vault*

Dr. Bath
2008-06-28, 04:58 PM
Myth!

Myth!

It is in fact, going into an inter-glacial period, which combined with the excess gases being produced will almost certainly lead to a rise in temperatures over the next century or so.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-28, 05:00 PM
Either way, we're all gonna die!

Phase
2008-06-28, 09:09 PM
Maybe you flesh-things will die, but I'll be up here, laughing away.

:smallamused:

That's what you get for being mortal.

Collin152
2008-06-28, 09:14 PM
Maybe you flesh-things will die, but I'll be up here, laughing away.

:smallamused:

That's what you get for being mortal.

Jokes on you, my phylactery is inside your...
Well, let's just say we'll get to know each other very well after us 'flesh things' 'die'.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-06-28, 09:45 PM

Why do I have a sudden urge to observe a nuclear explosion?

Justyn
2008-06-29, 02:10 AM
Or a meteor. Or toxic gasses rising from the ground in all of Siberia and russia like they did earlier. Or General global warming causing UV radiation to go up and kill us all.

And those are all good reasons for the terraformation (or at least colonisation) of that dead red hunk of rock! And the one that really scares me is a gamma ray burst. For the effects... Well, lets just say that we wouldn't all gain the ability to turn giant and green when we get angry.

Why do I have a sudden urge to observe a nuclear explosion?

Would you settle for riding the device that would cause one?

Edit: Ha ha ha ha! I just posted the first post of the second page. This amuses me so. :smallbiggrin: