PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3 *knock on wood*

Holammer
2008-06-25, 09:20 AM
You guys have probably not missed the fact that Blizzard got this evolving splash screen on their site that changes until this weekend (28'th to 29'th) when the Blizzard World Wide Invitational in Paris kicks off.
They will most certainly show WotLK and Starcraft II, but there's a lot of speculation that they might announce a new game, possibly Diablo III. Personally I'm a puppy eyed wreak at the moment over the possibility of a new Diablo game.

Leper_Kahn
2008-06-25, 09:34 AM
I kinda hope it isn't D3. The only reason is that if it is D3 then they won't be spending all their resources on SC2. =D

Winterwind
2008-06-25, 12:43 PM
Call me overly optimistic, LK, but I'm fairly sure SC2 is going to get as many ressources and time as it needs, no matter what happens (short of an actual Zerg invasion on Earth, possibly). :smallcool:

Diablo 3 would be awesome (at least if it remains a free BattleNet game, without monthly bills like WoW), though I'll remain sceptical regarding its coming until it is announced. Every single Blizzard Invitational - actually, every single time a Blizzard employee as much as dares to open her or his mouth - the entire Diablo community expects them to announce D3, year after year, and it doesn't happen. Of course, the same could be said about StarCraft 2, but how many times were they wrong prior to its actual announcement? :smallwink:
I'm fairly sure D3 is going to come, sooner or later, but I have learnt many years ago that it is futile to hope it is going to come now. One is wrong way too often otherwise.

TheThan
2008-06-25, 12:54 PM
yep, you're probably have to wait until after starcraft II comes out.

with blizzard's rep, I expect them to devote a lot of their resources to starcraft II. not to mention they have this huge MMO called World of Warcraft that sucks up a lot of resources. so I suspect they're only (reasonably) capable of making one new game at a time.

At least until they hire an entirely new development team to work on any additional projects they have in mind. (such as diablo III). But I really have no idea how much they're profiting off of WoW, so I don't know if they're capable of pulling that off.

Ranis
2008-06-25, 01:23 PM
Diablo 3's closed alpha test ended one day, and none of us testers ever knew why. The alpha forums went down simultaneously, so one of the Blizzard high-ups must have pulled the plug, literally. I wouldn't get too excited about it.

Griemont
2008-06-25, 01:27 PM
Diablo 3's closed alpha test ended one day, and none of us testers ever knew why. The alpha forums went down simultaneously, so one of the Blizzard high-ups must have pulled the plug, literally. I wouldn't get too excited about it.

As I understand it, Blizzard has done that lots of times before, where they pull a game and completely revise it from the ground-up. Closed alpha seems awfully late in the dev cycle to do that, but I guess that's what it's for, isn't it? :smallwink: At any rate...

*fingers in ears* I CAN'T HEAR YOU!! :smallsigh:

Leper_Kahn
2008-06-25, 04:19 PM

?!?

Isn't something like closed alpha a gag-order type thing. *Shrug* I don't know, but if you actually were in a closed alpha you still rock. Plus I won't tell anyone.

DraPrime
2008-06-25, 04:26 PM
I'd be less surprised to find out that Duke Nukem Forever was going to be released this year than to hear about D3, mainly because of the whole Starcraft 2 thing.

factotum
2008-06-26, 02:06 AM
If they ever do a Diablo 3 I wouldn't be at all surprised if they made it the successor to World of Warcraft--in other words, an MMORPG. However they do it, though, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to visit the ruins of Tristram or walk up the path to the Sisters' cathedral in real 3D...

Holammer
2008-06-26, 06:46 AM
If they ever do a Diablo 3 I wouldn't be at all surprised if they made it the successor to World of Warcraft--in other words, an MMORPG. However they do it, though, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to visit the ruins of Tristram or walk up the path to the Sisters' cathedral in real 3D...

I think that Diablo will remain as is, but conspiracy minded that I am I believe they dropped a hint (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19164) at using ads in Diablo because of the recent interview where blizz suggested that WoW was meant to use ads from the start. Something which I seriously cannot believe they even considered because MMOs actually require a fair bit of server hardware and support personel to run.

While a Diablo type game would be little more than match making service. So sure we could "pay" that service by viewing ads instead :smallamused:

13_CBS
2008-06-26, 10:59 AM
I wonder what the backstory will be in this game? Diablo II seemed to have cleaned up all the loose ends except for maybe the ever-suspicious Tyrael.

I mean,

Diablo's offed, Mephisto's offed, Baal's offed, the 4 lesser evils have been offed (except for maybe Belial and Azmodan)...

I guess we'll have to fight the legions of Hell that will storm through the broken Worldstone?

Winterwind
2008-06-26, 11:26 AM
While a Diablo type game would be little more than match making service. So sure we could "pay" that service by viewing ads instead :smallamused:Well, all of the games that use BattleNet already contain that small ad-window up there (most of the time showing Diamond Razorback mouse and South Park season 10 DVDs, at least while not advertising WoW and stuff related to it) - Diablo 1 and 2, StarCraft and WarCraft 3. Who knows how much Blizzard earned thanks to this little window? :smallbiggrin:

I wonder what the backstory will be in this game? Diablo II seemed to have cleaned up all the loose ends except for maybe the ever-suspicious Tyrael.

I mean,
Diablo's offed, Mephisto's offed, Baal's offed, the 4 lesser evils have been offed (except for maybe Belial and Azmodan)...

I guess we'll have to fight the legions of Hell that will storm through the broken Worldstone?By my understanding of the last words Tyrael, Cain and the inhabitants of Harrogath say, it has been strongly implied that
the destruction of the Worldstone was the ultimate goal of the Prime Evils, and possibly even their apparent defeat all part of some grand scheme. They pulled this trick once already, after all, with the Soulstones. Supposedly, nobody knows what the Worldstone's destruction might result in, but I suspect that the Prime Evils actually did have some idea what might happen now, and we quite possibly did not see them for the last time.

Mustiado
2008-06-26, 11:27 AM
Don't forget, they could always take on that greatest of all evils, Man himself.

I dunno though. I figure with SC2 due out by the end of the year, they've already put the resources they needed to into the game. It's polish and shine time now. A new game announcement wouldn't surprise me. but D3? Probably not.

Maybe it's finally time for my long awaited sequel to The Lost Vikings...

Icewalker
2008-06-26, 11:48 AM
Diablo 3 would be cool, but it seems unlikely. I'd guess that they are still busy with SC2 right now.

Is SC2 due out by the end of the year? If so, I look forward to playing it when it is released late 2009. :smalltongue:

Holammer
2008-06-26, 12:11 PM

I mean,

I guess we'll have to fight the legions of Hell that will storm through the broken Worldstone?

Well, some Diablo fanbois speculate a lot of what sort of story it could be based on "The Sin War" trilogy (last book published in '07 actually). That discussion is moon runes to me because I haven't read any of them.
I like Diablo but I'm not a total raving fanboi myself.

As for any other game than Diablo, imagine if they announced a new rock'n roll racing, blackthorne or lost vikings. I'd be ****faced fer sure.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-26, 12:15 PM
They're just making us look forward to it more by saying : Sorry, delay and hints and such. In reality it will get released three or more years later then what they originally said it would be.

u-gotNOgame
2008-06-26, 07:36 PM
well its never stated (in fluff or otherwise AFAIK) what happens when you destroy a Prime Evils Soulstone... it could be they are destroyed, which i find unlikely because they are an intracate part of everything, or they might just go back to hell and try to find a new way to manifest themselves in the mortal world. and as someone already stated there's Azmodan and Belial...

-UGNG

Tirian
2008-06-27, 01:43 AM
Yeah, with the Worldstone destroyed, the structure of reality is pretty much a blank slate.

I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags since I'm totally talking out of my hat, but I kinda figure that Tyreal got corrupted by Baal in the same way that the original Hero was corrupted by Diablo, and that the new foundation for the world will be made to contain the seeds for the return of the Prime Evils. I mean, there isn't going to be a Diablo 3 with no Diablo, no matter what happened to him and his Soulstone.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-27, 06:42 AM
Hmm.

The minor evils(Also read as : Minor Prime evils) rebell against the prime evil, believing them to be weakend. It's taking place on the mortal world, demons fight at every jab and spell. But all the humans are caught between it. Something must be done.