PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Swordmage scoop

Charity
2008-06-25, 06:19 PM
In the vain hope that this will attract folk whom are actually interested in 4e.
I found this post over on Enworld

I just received the RPGA adventure "Return to the Moathouse" (by Mike Mearls), which I ´m going to DM at a local event... and there IS playable SWORDMAGE character, AND a half-orc NPC...
< Ok, the half-orc NPC is useless, as a fountain of information, as it is also a "half-elemental" creature, and don´t have no identifiable "orkish" features - but still, it means that they don´t totally give up in the half-orc race "because it implies a very bad backstory" >

Anyway, here are the SWORDMAGE powers (it´s a 5th level character):

At-Will Powers:

Aegis of Shielding
Swordmage Feature
You create an arcane link between you and a foe, allowing you to instantly
respond to its attacks with a counterassault.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Close burst 2
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use
this power against another target. If you mark other creatures using
other powers, the target is still marked. A creature can be subject to
only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was
already in place.
If your marked target makes an attack that doesn’t include you
as a target, it takes a ---2 penalty to attack rolls. If that attack hits and the attacker is within 10 squares of you, you can use an immediate
interrupt to reduce the damage dealt by that attack to any one
creature by 9 points.

Booming Blade
Swordmage Attack 1
A field of sound punishes your enemy, and it becomes louder if your enemy
tries to escape.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Thunder, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: +9 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage, and if the target is adjacent to you at the start
of its turn and moves away, it takes 1d6 + 4 thunder damage.

Sword Burst
Swordmage Attack 1
A sweep of your sword blasts those around you with force.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Close burst 1
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: +6 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + 4 force damage.

Encounter Powers:

Chilling Blow
Swordmage Attack 1
Your blade rips into your foe and cold pulses from the wound, enveloping
your enemy’s body in a crust of frost.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Hit: 1d8 + 5 cold damage, and the target takes 4 cold damage each
time it attacks until the start of your next turn.

Corrosive Ruin
Swordmage Attack 3
You spin your blade in a tight circle in front of you, assailing foes with a
spray of flesh-melting acid.
Encounter ✦ Acid, Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: +9 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d8 + 5 acid damage.

Dimensional Warp
Swordmage Utility 2
You reach out with arcane power, and two of your nearby allies suddenly
wink out and reappear in each other’s places.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Teleportation
Minor Action Close burst 3
Targets: You and one ally in burst or two allies in burst
Effect: Each target teleports into the other’s space. Both targets
must occupy the same size space, or the power fails.

Daily Powers:

Frost Backlash
Swordmage Attack 1
As your enemy swings for the kill, your warding suddenly turns to ice and
lashes out at your foe with the fury of winter.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Immediate Interrupt Melee weapon
Trigger: An adjacent creature hits you
Target: The creature that hit you
Attack: +9 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d8 + 5 cold damage.
Miss: Half damage.

Lingering Lightning
Swordmage Attack 5
Tendrils of bluish white lightning course from your blade to electrocute
your enemies.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Lightning, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged 5
Target: One, two, or three creatures
Attack: +9 vs. Reflex, one attack per target
Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage, and ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and no ongoing damage

ENJOY!

DM_from_Brazil

1) Yes, the Moathouse in the adventure IS the ToEE moathouse - some a Beatiful cleric even makes a special appearance... ;)

2) The Swordmage is a Dwarf, with the following attributes:
STR 12
CON 19
DEX 10
INT 17
WIS 14
CHA 08

2)The basic attack:
+1 longsword / +7 vs. AC / 1d8+3
Note: have Wapon Focus:Longsword feat, already added to above number

3)AND there is a class feature: Swordmage Warding (INT bounus to AC, iwith one hand free; if rendered unconscious, shield fades and can be restored after a short rest)

More here (http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233119)
That double Int to AC thing looks a bit on the abusable side, but its too early to be sure, the devils in the details...

Tengu
2008-06-25, 06:34 PM
I can already feel it will be my favorite class.

Saph
2008-06-25, 06:40 PM
Sword Burst and Aegis of Shielding look interesting.

There seems to be a mechanical conflict between the two at-will powers, though. Sword Burst has the Implement keyword; Booming Blade has the Weapon keyword. Can the Swordmage use a single item as both a weapon and an implement? Because otherwise he's going to have major trouble with items.

- Saph

Dan_Hemmens
2008-06-25, 06:50 PM
Sword Burst and Aegis of Shielding look interesting.

There seems to be a mechanical conflict between the two at-will powers, though. Sword Burst has the Implement keyword; Booming Blade has the Weapon keyword. Can the Swordmage use a single item as both a weapon and an implement? Because otherwise he's going to have major trouble with items.

- Saph

It seems likely, since the flavour text on the Burst says "with a sweep of your sword". There's also precedent for this in various parts of the game currently (Pact Blades, Spiral Tower Wizards).

Charity
2008-06-25, 07:03 PM
I dunno, it is no different for the cleric, or the paladin for that matter, they both swap between weapon and impliment if they don't limit themselves.
though it is also quite possible the guy transcribed them incorrectly, or as you say Dan it could be a weapon and impliment are the same for Swordmage, though there is no profficiency bonus on the impliment power.

Antacid
2008-06-25, 07:07 PM
The Weapon/Implement thing is probably just to show that the damage is being done with the sword itself for the powers with the Weapon keyword, but by magic channelled through the sword for those with the Implement keyword. Maybe there's a more important difference, maybe not.

Yakk
2008-06-25, 07:59 PM
... or as you say Dan it could be a weapon and impliment are the same for Swordmage, though there is no profficiency bonus on the impliment power.

Aha! Yes, that would be it. Weapon powers get the +2 to +3 proficiency bonus, while Implement powers do not.

Nice Marking mechanic, btw. "If you hurt anyone else, I soak damage".

I'm guessing the main stats for a Swordmage are Con, Int and Wis.

LoneGamer
2008-06-25, 08:40 PM
It seems likely, since the flavour text on the Burst says "with a sweep of your sword". There's also precedent for this in various parts of the game currently (Pact Blades, Spiral Tower Wizards).

Holy Avengers, too.

Indon
2008-06-25, 08:55 PM
Looks like we have an Arcane Defender. I like how its' subskill seems to be Controller (like how Fighters have Striker as a subskill).

SamTheCleric
2008-06-25, 09:12 PM
That's almost sexy enough for me to leave my wife for. :smallcool:

Arbitrarity
2008-06-25, 09:38 PM
It's another gish in a can. Feels like a mix between duskblade and swordsage to me, if only for the mix of utility/control and damage powers. Nice, very nice.

Halcyon_Dax
2008-06-26, 12:33 AM
Excellent scoop! Very exciting.

I feel like this multiclassed with warlord will make for quite a tasty battlefield controller!

CANT WAIT.

AKA_Bait
2008-06-26, 09:17 AM
Is is just me, or do those at wills seem a little... strong.

Gypsy0001
2008-06-26, 09:43 AM
Regarding the at will powers: Useful? Quite.

Strong? No more so than other defender/controller at wills.

BardicDuelist
2008-06-26, 09:45 AM
This has absolutely ruined my hope that power creep would be prevented for at least a couple years. It controls better than a wizard and is still a great defender for it. Not only that, but a couple of it's at wills are better than encounter powers for other classes (specifically the burst). I like ageis of shielding though.

Kurald Galain
2008-06-26, 09:56 AM
Wait, so how does this work?

Aegis of Shielding creates "an arcane link between you and a foe, allowing you to instantly respond to its attacks with a counterassault", so if this foe hits a friend of yours with his sword you can make a counterattack by... reducing the sword damage? Also, why is it listed as teleportation when it doesn't teleport anything?

Tormsskull
2008-06-26, 10:03 AM
Also, why is it listed as teleportation when it doesn't teleport anything?

I'm envisoning that the Swordmage teleports, deflects the attack (i.e. reduces the damage dealy by 9 points), and then teleports back to their original square.

I admit, the word counterassault doesn't really fit that interpretation, but hmmmmm.

YPU
2008-06-26, 10:31 AM
so, any idea when the book its in wil be released? or wil it perhaps be a dnd insider release (i do hope so, others probably dont)

Yakk
2008-06-26, 11:07 AM
Edit: I'm on crack -- longswords get +3 to hit, sigh.

We are reading pre-release fluff. :)

Note that the close burst power clearly doesn't use weapon damage. It is 1d6+stat in a 3x3 area centered on the swordmage.

The Wizard, in comparison, can do that much damage at range.

STR 12(+1)
CON 19(+4)
DEX 10(+0)
INT 17(+3)
WIS 14(+2)
CHA 08(-1)

5th level character, so +2 bonus from level (where it applies).

Wapon Focus:Longsword, so has a +1 to damage when using the longsword.

Longsword is +1, for a +1 to hit and damage.

Basic attack:
ATK: +2(level)+1(magic)+3(weapon proficiency)+1(STR)
Damage: +1(focus)+1(magic)+1(STR)

So:
is +2 level +1 magic +3 proficiency +3 int
Ie, INT vs AC [weapon]

Attack: +6 vs. Reflex
is +2 level +1 magic +3 int
Ie, INT vs Reflex [implement]

Some damage numbers:
Implement Hit: 1d6 + 4 force damage.
Weapon Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage, and if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its turn and moves away, it takes 1d6 + 4 thunder damage.
Weapon Hit: 1d8 + 5 cold damage, and the target takes 4 cold damage each
time it attacks until the start of your next turn.

If your marked target makes an attack that doesn’t include you
as a target, it takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls. If that attack hits and the attacker is within 10 squares of you, you can use an immediate
interrupt to reduce the damage dealt by that attack to any one
creature by 9 points.

Maybe swordmage powers use INT to hit, and CON for damage? (Weapon powers get +1 from weapon focus).

Then, the damage soaked by their shield power would be (INT+CON+Level/2) = (3+4+2) = 9?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-06-26, 11:20 AM
Wow, this looks too awesome. Only thing Im wondering is if they will be restricted to swords, or if they will be capable of using axes/daggers/ect. with their manuevers. I think it would be kind of cool to play a Rogue/Swordmage personally, going into the Dagger Master if possible.

Tengu
2008-06-26, 11:22 AM
This has absolutely ruined my hope that power creep would be prevented for at least a couple years. It controls better than a wizard and is still a great defender for it. Not only that, but a couple of it's at wills are better than encounter powers for other classes (specifically the burst). I like ageis of shielding though.

Isn't that a bit far-fetched? We've only seen a couple of powers, and only how they work for this specific character, not all swordmages in general.

skywalker
2008-06-26, 11:56 AM
This looks bad-ass. Very exciting. Do we know which book this guy is going to be in?

*waits impatiently*

Tengu
2008-06-26, 12:00 PM
The Final Fantasy (um, again) Disgaea (sigh) Exalted (one more time...) Forgotten Realms book that's coming out soon.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-26, 12:06 PM
The Swordmage will be in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (not the campaign setting)

EvilElitest
2008-06-26, 12:09 PM
That's almost sexy enough for me to leave my wife for. :smallcool:

blink blink......ok, that is officially the most....unique compliment i've ever heard in my life
from
EE

Crow
2008-06-26, 01:02 PM
blink blink......ok, that is officially the most....unique compliment i've ever heard in my life
from
EE

Well EE, if she's anything like my first wife, I wouldn't be too surprised.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-26, 01:03 PM
Well EE, if she's anything like my first wife, I wouldn't be too surprised.

*chuckle*

Just an expression I use sometimes, even when talking to my wife. It usually gets me a playful slap. I'm... weird. :smalleek:

JaxGaret
2008-06-27, 12:21 AM
Is is just me, or do those at wills seem a little... strong.

Sort of, but not really.

Aegis of Shielding seems simliar to the Paladin's Divine Challenge, Booming Blade seems similar to the Fighter's Combat Superiority, and Sword Burst seems similar to the Wizard's Scorching Burst, except that each of them is not as good and you can't use all of them at once. It seems like the Swordmage may be a very versatile class, but it may lack the oomph of more specialized classes.

Or it may indeed be overpowered. We can only know for certain when the book is released. From this excerpt, it does seem like it gets nice powers - but I feel the same way about every class in 4e, once I get familiar with them.

RTGoodman
2008-06-27, 12:38 AM
From me, this gets a resounding "Meh."

I mean, it doesn't look terrible or overpowered or anything, but I don't really see anything that makes me want to play the class. Maybe it's because I don't really care too much for gishes, but I don't really see anything that sets it apart from others in the "coolness" factor.

I don't buy setting-specific books (except, you know, when I can get them for super-cheap at a used books store, like my $8 FR 3.0 Campaign Setting book) but I'll probably flip through the FR Player's Guide to look at the rest of the class, but as of now I'm not that impressed.

Behold_the_Void
2008-06-27, 01:56 AM
The Final Fantasy (um, again) Disgaea (sigh) Exalted (one more time...) Forgotten Realms book that's coming out soon.

Disgaea games are hilarious. I'd totally buy a splatbook for it. Overlord's Wrath as a daily? Hell yes!

Maybe I'll revive my old Disgaea D20 and do a complete job of it.

Anyway, the at-wills seemed rather powerful to me, but I'm not sure what all gives them bonuses and such, so I'm withholding judgment until I see the full class. Looks spiffy though.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-27, 07:47 AM
Heh... the definition of balance in a game? Some people think something is overpowered, others think its underpowered and some think its just right.

:smallbiggrin:

Starsinger
2008-06-27, 07:58 AM
Heh... the definition of balance in a game? Some people think something is overpowered, others think its underpowered and some think its just right.

:smallbiggrin:

Clearly the elephant is a wall!

Titanium Dragon
2008-06-27, 03:27 PM
This seems a bit bizzare.

Frost Backlash is overpowered when compared to comparable ranger abilities, and several "spells" add weapon proficiency to hit, which is wierd given that they have at least one which DOESN'T do that.

Looks like a very low-quality class to me if it is real; the flavor text is awful, it isn't very well-designed, and if the free hand thing really IS +Int then it is horribly unbalanced (though if it is only +3 static shield bonus, then it is fair).

JaxGaret
2008-06-27, 03:50 PM
Frost Backlash is overpowered when compared to comparable ranger abilities

The only comparable Ranger ability I see is Disruptive Strike, which is a 3rd level Encounter power which seems to be about or at least as good as Frost Backlash. 1st level dailies should be better than 3rd level encounter powers, IIRC.

, and several "spells" add weapon proficiency to hit, which is wierd given that they have at least one which DOESN'T do that.

That is a bit odd. Hopefully it's something they fix during playtesting.

Looks like a very low-quality class to me if it is real

It hasn't been released yet, there is no possible way to make this judgment.

; the flavor text is awful

Playtest flavor text being awful isn't surprising.

, it isn't very well-designed

You know this from a handful of pre-release powers and class features?

, and if the free hand thing really IS +Int then it is horribly unbalanced (though if it is only +3 static shield bonus, then it is fair).

Why? Have you seen the rest of the class to be able to make that decision?

Yakk
2008-06-27, 08:09 PM
This seems a bit bizzare.

Frost Backlash is overpowered when compared to comparable ranger abilities,

[citation needed]

and several "spells" add weapon proficiency to hit, which is wierd given that they have at least one which DOESN'T do that.

Getting weapon to-hit is an advantage. Melee characters have that advantage, but in exchange target AC more often. A weapon power targeting Reflex is, all by itself, special.

Non-weapon powers (ie, Spells), on the other hand, by default target non-AC defenses. Targetting AC means that the spell needs bonus power in some other source.

In the swordmage, some powers consist of using the sword to cast a spell (the point-blank wave of force) without hitting them with the sword, and others consist of hitting someone with a sword you tossed magic on.

The [Weapon] powers do X[W]+Stat damage. These get a proficiency bonus, and usually target AC.

The [Implement] powers do flat-dice+Stat damage. These do not get a proficiency bonus, but target reflex/fortitude/will for free.

Looks like a very low-quality class to me if it is real; the flavor text is awful, it isn't very well-designed, and if the free hand thing really IS +Int then it is horribly unbalanced (though if it is only +3 static shield bonus, then it is fair).

Hmm? As far as I can tell, the listed powers are no worse than the starting-sample-adventure PC builds at the job. It looks like a somewhat competent defender/sub controller.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-27, 08:17 PM
Getting weapon to-hit is an advantage. Melee characters have that advantage, but in exchange target AC more often. A weapon power targeting Reflex is, all by itself, special.

Non-weapon powers (ie, Spells), on the other hand, by default target non-AC defenses. Targetting AC means that the spell needs bonus power in some other source.

In the swordmage, some powers consist of using the sword to cast a spell (the point-blank wave of force) without hitting them with the sword, and others consist of hitting someone with a sword you tossed magic on.

The [Weapon] powers do X[W]+Stat damage. These get a proficiency bonus, and usually target AC.

The [Implement] powers do flat-dice+Stat damage. These do not get a proficiency bonus, but target reflex/fortitude/will for free.

I dunno... looking at the swordmage powers on page one, the daily and encounter powers (like Frost Backlash and Corrosive Ruin) are Weapon powers with non-AC targets. That makes it seem like they're extremely accurate.

Plus, being able to gain INT to your AC even in heavy armor with Swordmage Warding makes them seem much better than their fellow defenders. But yeah, it needs to be worked out... though I'm always way of when WotC releases a Gish-in-a-Box.

wodan46
2008-06-28, 01:32 PM
Swordmage
Pros: High AC, effective against virtually any encounter
Cons: Low dice size compared to fighters, low range compared to Wizards
Overall: Balanced, except for Eladrin Swordmages.

Oh, and thanks for making me waste even more hours of my life at TV Tropes. I do enough of that on my own initiative.