PDA

View Full Version : that dosen't make sense!

wojonatior
2008-06-25, 10:12 PM
Aright I just read the new comic and when I reread the previous comic to hear what the oracle heard, I noticed that he said, "yea a wasn't buying those theories either". The thing here is in the next comic it is revealed that the oracle already knew he was going to die and how he was going to die, so why would he be trying to believe his theories to avoid the fulfilling of the prophecy and his death?:smallconfused:

Sir_Elderberry
2008-06-25, 10:17 PM
Aright I just read the new comic and when I reread the previous comic to hear what the oracle heard, I noticed that he said, "yea a wasn't buying those theories either". The thing here is in the next comic it is revealed that the oracle already knew he was going to die and how he was going to die, so why would he be trying to believe his theories to avoid the fulfilling of the prophecy and his death?:smallconfused:

Well, he has to die and take a negative level, neither of which are very fun. That's definitely something I'd try to avoid. And part of it may have been him toying with Belkar.

BRC
2008-06-25, 10:24 PM

It's likely that he cannot change event's that he forsee, as doing so would cause a paradox. He can set things up so he gets ressurected afterwards, but he cannot prevent his own death.

someonenonotyou
2008-06-25, 10:29 PM
as Elderberry said he just like messing with Belkar if he had stopped his death then to whole setting up town thing wounld have been a whole waste of time

ericgrau
2008-06-25, 10:44 PM
It's probably Rich making fun of the theories people posted in old threads. Those explanations just don't fly in the "real world". The oracle also said that he didn't believe them either.

That's the main reason. As for the in-comic reason, the oracle mentions it was worth a shot. So either he knew the inevitable and thought he'd make a half-hearted attempt to save himself or he's just misleading Haley and Belkar so he can pull a fast one on Belkar.

It's hard to find a monster strong enough to beat even a couple PCs. There's probably no way he could use force to pull this off, or if he could it'd be incredibly expensive. Plus the MoJ causes more suffering than death or incapacitation. The oracle's solution is simply awesome.

MightyIgoo
2008-06-25, 10:44 PM
I think that, when the Oracle says "I wasn't really buying those theories either" was that, rather than disputing the truth of the theories, he was admitting that they seemed far-fetched. In other words, the theories he was referring to may have in fact been correct, but they're still hard to swallow.

Arkenputtyknife
2008-06-25, 11:51 PM
Imagine that you've just fallen off a very high cliff. You know what's going to happen when you meet those big, hard, sharp, nasty rocks so far below, you know that Superman isn't going to catch you on the way down, you know that gravity isn't going to spontaneously reverse itself, you know that you aren't going to suddenly gain the ability to fly. In a situation that desperate, there's no harm in praying and hoping for a miracle. Just once, just that once, it would be nice if the laws that govern the universe would take a moment off and look aside just long enough for you to get out of danger.

It's not going to happen, but when there's nothing to lose, it's worth a shot.

David Argall
2008-06-26, 01:13 AM
Or to put it a different way "Why not?"

Kato
2008-06-26, 01:23 AM
Hm... I think the best reason is: Cause it was funny. Rich took a turn on the discussions an the forum, I think. Also if the oracle had just said: 'Okay, you gotta kill me' B might have even not done it, simply for the fact not to do as the oracle wants. Otherwise... dunno. I dont think cause he hoped for him to stop.

Dalenthas
2008-06-26, 01:47 AM
Clearly, the fee he would have had to return to Belkar would have outweighed the cost of getting himself raised, so he had to piss the Belkster off enough to fuffill the prophecy. Simple economics.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-26, 02:18 AM
Rich took a turn on the discussions an the forum, I think.

I don't think Rich actually reads the forums. I think Belkar was intended to kill the Oracle all along, and that giving the Ring of Jumping was either a deliberate or accidental red herring. The line about 'not buying those theories' probably came when he was getting ready to write this comic and one of the Mods decided to mention it to him just to see a reference to those threads.

Jayngfet
2008-06-26, 02:33 AM
I don't think Rich actually reads the forums. I think Belkar was intended to kill the Oracle all along, and that giving the Ring of Jumping was either a deliberate or accidental red herring. The line about 'not buying those theories' probably came when he was getting ready to write this comic and one of the Mods decided to mention it to him just to see a reference to those threads.

And the sword theories?

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-26, 02:37 AM
What about swords?

David Argall
2008-06-26, 03:03 AM
I don't think Rich actually reads the forums.
Given he posts on the forums in response to some of our discussions, he obviously does read the forums, if not necessarily in the detail we might think.

I think Belkar was intended to kill the Oracle all along, and that giving the Ring of Jumping was either a deliberate or accidental red herring.
So far we have been unable to point to a single notable plot point that was altered by these forums, so the presumption would be that this was largely plotted all along. However, we do know the plot can change, at least in degree, so we can't be certain.

Underground
2008-06-26, 05:51 AM
Even if the oracle can forsee it will die, it doesnt want to. Why ? Because its very painful to die.

So whats so hard to understand ?

Niknokitueu
2008-06-26, 06:43 AM
Even if the oracle can forsee it will die, it doesnt want to. Why ? Because its very painful to die.

So whats so hard to understand ?
I can ask the question back at you.
Maybe the oracle needed to allow himself to be murdered for the sake of the better future. If the need is great enough, you wi=ould be surprised what people are prepared to do.

Maybe he forsaw what would happen if Belkar was not neutralised, and decided that a single death was worth it to guide the world to a better future? (Or even to guide the world to a future where it would continue existing...)

We cannot fathom the reason why the Oracle allowed himself to be killed. Rich knows the reason why, but may never actually tell us.
The Oracle may have done it just so that Belkar's prophesy came true. What good is an Oracle that does not have a 100% success rate?

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Troub
2008-06-26, 07:29 AM
Or its a comic, and not real life and the author can leave minor holes in reality if he wants. The point is the punchline, and it being funny. It doesn't really need to make sense.

Roderick_BR
2008-06-26, 08:08 AM
He just tought it was worth a shot, to try to avoid the pain of being stabbed and killed. He just mentioned that he didn't believe the teories either, aknowledging that he was just trying to BS his way out of it, wich failed.

nimby
2008-06-26, 08:27 AM
Well, he's an oracle. He's seen all of the future that's interesting. If you already know everything that's going to happen, where's the fun in just letting stuff happen?

He probably keeps a book around full of minor events that he'll be involved in (like his own deaths) and an addendum to that book full of ideas to try and change the future. A man needs -some- challenge in life!

Lektor
2008-06-26, 08:42 AM
so why would he be trying to believe his theories to avoid the fulfilling of the prophecy and his death?:smallconfused:

Because getting stabbed with small 'possibly blunted' blades hurts just a touch?

Deslan
2008-06-26, 09:13 AM
perhaps he got himself killed on purpose just to set off the MoJ in order to prevent Belkar from doing something far worse in the future.

VForVaarsuvius
2008-06-26, 09:20 AM

Actually, I've seen a ton of stuff in the comic poking fun at theories on the forums. Even V's gender debate started over some forumer who was confused as to what gender he was in the first place.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-26, 04:16 PM
You've proven me wrong! You can stop quoting me now!

I wish I could say that's the first time I've had to say that. You still ain't getting any Ten-Thousand Dollar prize outta me!

@Jayngfet: Seriously, though, what about swords?

Lorn
2008-06-26, 06:38 PM
The Oracle may have done it just so that Belkar's prophesy came true. What good is an Oracle that does not have a 100% success rate?
Belkar won't remember it though - the memory charm on the valley would erase it, surely? Therefore, Belkar still needs to kill someone... or at least, he THINKS he does.

[levi]
2008-06-26, 06:50 PM
perhaps he got himself killed on purpose just to set off the MoJ in order to prevent Belkar from doing something far worse in the future.

This is the most intrigueing theory I've read here...but I bet it's just comedic license.