PDA

View Full Version : Rules for the Dead Contacting the Living

Kasavin
2008-06-25, 11:53 PM
From the very begining (or comic #78), its established that there are rules about the dead contacting the living. Some of the rules I know about so far are:

1) Eugene could only communicate in a vague prophecy and not intefere directly.
2) He could only do so when Roy had the family sword intact.

I'm guessing Roy's attempts to directly contact anybody violates these rule. The Oracle, however, has similar limitations. He can forsee the future, but apparently there are limits to what he can divulge. Hence, he can see Roy not merely because he's a gifted medium (or whatever the proper term is), but because he'll abide by the divine rules of non-interference.

Thoughts?

Kato
2008-06-26, 01:28 AM
Er... probably... he might also just be an ******* and didn't want to help B and Haley.
But you might be right... he'd violated some kind of first directive for outsiders or so. Though, Roy seems to give a crap about them. But someone has to think for him...

Niknokitueu
2008-06-26, 02:10 AM
I'm guessing Roy's attempts to directly contact anybody violates these rule.
I think 'violate' may be too strong a word. Roy just has not worked out how to make contact yet (and there are dozens of theories why, the best of them being that Rich does not want him to make contact, so Roy just has not managed to do the single thing [or things] that would allow him to do so).

The Oracle, however, has similar limitations. He can forsee the future, but apparently there are limits to what he can divulge.
Such is the peril in living within time's arrow, and being able to see it's flight. Perhaps he is constrained to behave this way because it is the only way to avoid the freeing of the snarl?

Hence, he can see Roy not merely because he's a gifted medium (or whatever the proper term is), but because he'll abide by the divine rules of non-interference.
...or he may just have looked at the eventually-to-be-released book, the same way that he could understand Haley. That way he knows where Roy is standing, and knows everything that Roy and he are going to say to each other.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Hshelton
2008-06-26, 02:30 AM
The Oracle has been known to cheat from time to time. Specifically, check out strip #330 where the oracle is talking to Haley.

* could have sworn point three wasn't there when I went to post.

Gamerlord
2008-06-26, 05:01 AM
...or he may just have looked at the eventually-to-be-released book, the same way that he could understand Haley. That way he knows where Roy is standing, and knows everything that Roy and he are going to say to each other.

Have Fun!

I agree.
Wait but this means...that the oracle can see the OUTSIDE world! He can see me typing on this very computer! :smalleek:

Mc. Lovin'
2008-06-26, 06:31 AM
Remember how the Oracle knew what Haley said? She looked at the book's compilation in the future. Could be how she knows where Roy is.

EDIT:
Already pointed out. That's what you get for not reading the whole thread first :smallredface:

Roderick_BR
2008-06-26, 08:14 AM
The idea of the Oracle reading the future book release is a good teory, but he told Roy "you don't need to yell" and turns his face away. He wouldn't frown from it, even knowing Roy did yell, unless he was actually hearing it.

Well, he'll explain what's going on to Roy in the next comic, I guess.

@gamerkid: Yes, he knows about he outside world, as do many of the others characters, like commenting on the comic's archives, or using teories that appeared in the forums :smallbiggrin:

AceOfFools
2008-06-27, 07:19 PM
Kubota reads a copy of the 4e books in cannon. Whose to say that the oracle can't get a copy of the OotS books in world at a future date?

Although he can clearly read the forums as he takes a moment to smile and wink at his many fans.

Pagan gods, I hate that arrogant orange bugger.

TigerHunter
2008-06-27, 07:31 PM
the best of them being that Rich does not want him to make contact, so Roy just has not managed to do the single thing [or things] that would allow him to do so).
"The writer decided it shouldn't" is not a theory.

David Argall
2008-06-28, 01:52 AM
"The writer decided it shouldn't" is not a theory.

Of course it is. Now it is something of a god theory and thus the sort of theory we should try not to resort to, but ultimately just about the entire story is because the writer decided it should be that way. And some parts of the story can be predicted based on what we know of our writer and other writers.