PDA

View Full Version : Buffy the Vampire season 6-7, are they worth it?

EvilElitest
2008-06-26, 02:55 PM
Now for the last year i've been watching the first five seasons of the buffy saga. I haven't watched Angel as of yet, not motivated enough, but thats for another thread

I have a lot of problems with Buffy, and it is far far from a perfect show. That being said, it is an amusing show to watch and i enjoy it, through i think it could have been three times better, i have to applaud some of the stuff if see (like the Mayor, who was amazing). The show started quite well, and only got better, with the third season being the best, over the top ending non withstanding. The 4 and 5 season, while not bad, weren't nearly as good. The whole Spike thing was really really really bad. That being said, it ended well and i wasn't hating the show

Now i've heard that season five and six are terrible. Like out right awful. I have them lent to me, but i don't know if i want to watch them, because they are suppose to be just that bad. Is it worth it I ask you? Like are they just not as good, or are they really just too bad to watch
from
EE

Devin
2008-06-26, 03:06 PM
Six was great, it didn't jump the shark until seven, when the potential Slayers showed up. Even then, it took a few episodes to stop being worth watching, and I'm still planning on finishing it up sometime. Then again, if you didn't like the Spike stuff, you might really hate season six. I thought season five was the best, including Spike. Dawn was a great character, Glorificus was a great villain, and I like pathetic, beaten-down Spike the best. :smalltongue:

Edit: Also, yay for Buffy topic! It's still my favorite T.V. show.

Oregano
2008-06-26, 03:10 PM
I didn't mind season 6 but I hated season 7,to be honest, Angel was much better and was more consistent in quality, it did go a bit worse right at the end.

EvilElitest
2008-06-26, 03:17 PM
I like dawn, i just absolutitly hated what happened to such a good character like Spike
from
EE

Oregano
2008-06-26, 03:20 PM
You mean Spikeification?:smallwink:

EvilElitest
2008-06-26, 03:21 PM
You mean Spikeification?:smallwink:

oh gods yes, it was so bad, i cried inside
from
EE

Emperor Ing
2008-06-26, 03:25 PM
Dawn was a decent character, but season 6, she just had that "poor me" thing that was just...UGH!!! :yuk:
And I never liked Riley either. :smallannoyed:

EvilElitest
2008-06-26, 03:59 PM
Dawn was a decent character, but season 6, she just had that "poor me" thing that was just...UGH!!! :yuk:
And I never liked Riley either. :smallannoyed:

i'm not a Riley fan ether, but is Season six just bad enough to not be worth watching
from
EE

Emperor Ing
2008-06-26, 04:33 PM
i'm not a Riley fan ether, but is Season six just bad enough to not be worth watching
from
EE
In TV show standards, season 6 is a MUST WATCH!!
In BTVS standards, not as good.
but later in the season, when willow goes crazy, thats when it gets awesome. :smallcool:

EvilElitest
2008-06-26, 04:34 PM
In TV show standards, season 6 is a MUST WATCH!!
In BTVS standards, not as good.
but later in the season, when willow goes crazy, thats when it gets awesome. :smallcool:

hmmmm, so i should at least watch Season 6 then
from
EE

Selrahc
2008-06-26, 05:32 PM
Season 6 is fairly good. Some real nice episodes, and some clunkers.

Season sevens over arching metaplot is fairly rubbish, but there are still a couple of good ones.

In Season Six the first couple of episodes are eminently skippable. If you're just going for episode quality then I'd start with Life Serial, which I found fun. All the way is okay. Once MOre With Feeling depends on whether you like or hate the concept of a musical episode that doesn't have much overall importance to the plot(I thought it was great fun). Tabula Rasa was one of my all time favourite Buffy episodes. Smashed and wrecked I don't have much memory of.. probably means they were okay but a bit dull? The rest of the seaason after that is worth watching, even if Entropy and Hells Bells were a bit dull(But they're both kind of important to the plot). The finale of the season is very well done.

I'd reccomend watching season six as a whole though. Its pretty cool even in its more dull moments.

Season seven is a whole other story. The first seven episodes are good. The next two focus on Spike, who you apparently don't like as a good guy, so give em a miss. The rest of the season is not very good. The Killer in Me is pretty good though, as is storyteller. I liked Lies My Parents Told Me, but again it is a Spike based episode.

The storyline in seven could maybe have been good, but at the end it just devolves into a series of Deus Ex, and random stuff.

The Season 8 comic series I would heartily reccomend. nGood continuation of the series.

Prustan
2008-06-27, 10:48 AM
As with every TV show, there are good episodes and bad episodes, but I think the good ones outweigh the bad. Stuff dealing with Willow, her fall and her redemption is great (though I really hated what happened to Tara). Xander finally becoming somewhat of a badass in Season 7 is also good. Shame what happened to Anya too, but she actually got to do some good. I know the OP doesn't like good Spike, but Insane Spike was interesting - though he didn't really do anything but spout gibberish.

The whole Potential Slayers idea was sort of believable, but not particularly well done I think. The Uber-Vamp idea started out okay, but then got kind of lame, since after all the trouble Buffy had dealing with one of them, something happened in the last episode which I can't spoil for you.

EllysW
2008-06-27, 11:38 AM
Season 6 includes the musical episode, "Once More, with Feeling," which by itself I think justifies giving the season a look. We loved it so much that I just got the soundtrack for my birthday :) I guess that if you think musical eps are just wrong, you wouldn't care for it, but it's well done and loads of fun.

We're only partway through Season 7 so I can't really speak for it, but it seems okay, and I like to follow through a story once I'm hooked. Which Buffy has certainly done.

Prustan
2008-06-30, 07:22 AM
Season 6 includes the musical episode, "Once More, with Feeling," which by itself I think justifies giving the season a look. We loved it so much that I just got the soundtrack for my birthday :) I guess that if you think musical eps are just wrong, you wouldn't care for it, but it's well done and loads of fun.

Yes, it is just plain wrong, yet it was done so well. And Amber Benson is quite talented. I remember the first time I saw the episode, and thought 'WTH? A musical episode? This is just so wrong! and they even musicalified (if there is such a word :smallbiggrin: ) the ending Grr Argh!' Then I watched it again when I had the DVDs and it made more sense.

kwanzaabot
2008-06-30, 07:38 AM
I thought season 7 was really good, actually. I recommend watching the episode "Him" for it's Anya-ey goodness. Hell, it's hilarious all-round.

And if you hate Spike being a good guy, there's plenty of Xander-Spike scenes that you'll adore.

Actually... if you hate Spike being good, check out season 5 of Angel. Those guys are like 5-year olds around each other. So petty and hilarious.

Also, read the season 8 comics when you're done. "Wolves at the Gate" has got some great stuff with Dracula. Really fleshed out the character, well, as much as you can flesh out a character that's been around in various forms of media for 100+ years.

Truthseeker
2008-06-30, 07:49 AM
If they've been loaned to you and you have them just sitting around, by all means, watch them. They're subpar Buffy overall, but there's still good fun to be mined from 'em.

If you were trying to make the decision on whether to buy them, that'd be harder to answer.

Emperor Ing
2008-06-30, 07:53 AM
Or look for reruns on TV. Right now, the channel I watch is on season 3.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-30, 10:00 AM
Dunno. I think Buffy stopped being interesting around the point where the show stopped being about a girl kicking vampires' butts and started being about Buffy going through clinical depression.

I have no idea what season that would be since I watched the show through reruns on network TV.

Darken Rahl
2008-06-30, 04:14 PM
Dirty Girls was a great season 7 episode simply because Nathan Fillion was in it. :D

two_fishes
2008-06-30, 04:56 PM
I'll second the reccomendation to watch Season 6 solely on the basis of Once More With Feeling. Not only is it good, it's astonishingly good. I mean that in the sense that, when I saw it, I was astonished!

Mx.Silver
2008-06-30, 07:05 PM
I'll second the reccomendation to watch Season 6 solely on the basis of Once More With Feeling. Not only is it good, it's astonishingly good. I mean that in the sense that, when I saw it, I was astonished!

Unfortunately I found it to be the only good point of the entire season, which I stopped watching altogether about halfway through. Then again, I maintain that the entire series jumped the shark when Dawn showed-up so make of that what you will.

Prophaniti
2008-06-30, 07:33 PM
My dad and brothers enjoy this show, I've never really figured out why. Apart from the fact that my dad's kind of a dirty old man (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DirtyOldMan), though entirely passive about it. My brothers, though... there's no real excuse, their smarter than that, most of the time.

The show has its moments, but most of them seem to me like creative genius shining through despite a cruddy setting and story. One good example was the episode (don't know the season, never cared that much) where her mom died, and there was no music. Artistically brilliant. The musical episode was good for a laugh, and pretty clever too.

I think the biggest reason I don't like the show is the constant whining of many of the characters about how horrible being different is and how much they want a 'normal life'. This even bothers my dad, who will always remain a fan of the show.

Personally, I wouldn't borrow, buy, or steal any season of the show.

Arcane_Secrets
2008-07-01, 02:39 PM
from
EE

Honestly, season six just meanders through a lot of it through showing just how pathetic most of the characters are-between Willow's problems, Dawn's kleptomania, Buffy having no idea what to do with herself, so on. It has some good episodes, like the one where Buffy has to go through the same day over and over again, or the four-part season finale. I liked season seven a lot more, because for the most part, it was a lot clearer where it was going-especially once the season villain showed up.

EvilElitest
2008-07-01, 03:02 PM
hmmmmm, sounds worth watching at least once, ok, i'll give season six a tr

Does anybody else think that a buffy styled anime (with ether avatar or FMA level of quality) would be amazing
from
EE

Selrahc
2008-07-01, 03:25 PM
Does anybody else think that a buffy styled anime (with ether avatar or FMA level of quality) would be amazing

Nah... I don't think Buffy could become an anime and keep anything like the same flavour. Stylistically and thematically its a western comic book with an overlay of horror movies.

EvilElitest
2008-07-01, 05:17 PM
Nah... I don't think Buffy could become an anime and keep anything like the same flavour. Stylistically and thematically its a western comic book with an overlay of horror movies.

I think through that if done properly it could be a very good anime (i mean in the FMA or avatar sense, not the Narato sense) and could allow a lot of expansion
from
EE

Selrahc
2008-07-01, 07:27 PM
I think through that if done properly it could be a very good anime (i mean in the FMA or avatar sense, not the Narato sense) and could allow a lot of expansion

Well there is already the awesome comic series for expansion, and it doesn't require any genre twisting to fit.

Prustan
2008-07-02, 07:55 AM

Buffy anime movie? If done by Studio Ghibli, maybe (though I really don't think they would).
Buffy anime series? Just can't see it. Buffy seems far too Western, and most of the humor in it, the Japanese just wouldn't get, so I don't think they'd be interested in doing it. Besides, for it to really be Buffy, you need the original cast, and most of them are too busy doing other stuff.

EvilElitest
2008-07-04, 12:26 AM
Buffy anime movie? If done by Studio Ghibli, maybe (though I really don't think they would).
Buffy anime series? Just can't see it. Buffy seems far too Western, and most of the humor in it, the Japanese just wouldn't get, so I don't think they'd be interested in doing it. Besides, for it to really be Buffy, you need the original cast, and most of them are too busy doing other stuff.

1) Actually, i think that Western and Eastern humor and relations are actually quite easy in the case of buffy, you over state the change. I think an anime of buffy in FMA style would actually be good, it could fix a lot of plot holes and what not, and you could go into more details and stuff (Buffy speeds things up and loses drama a lot because of it)
2) In all honesty, you could get some good actors to do just as good a job, i mean Spike, xander and Giles are the only ones who seem hard to replace
from
EE

Prustan
2008-07-04, 05:26 AM
1) Actually, i think that Western and Eastern humor and relations are actually quite easy in the case of buffy, you over state the change. I think an anime of buffy in FMA style would actually be good, it could fix a lot of plot holes and what not, and you could go into more details and stuff (Buffy speeds things up and loses drama a lot because of it)
2) In all honesty, you could get some good actors to do just as good a job, i mean Spike, xander and Giles are the only ones who seem hard to replace
from
EE

Reason I suggested Studio Ghibli for any Buffy anime adaptation is because they've already adapted some Western stuff - Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones for example. But they'd still have to get Joss' permission to do it.

And getting different actors to do the major roles? Never work with anyone that has at least a passing familiarity with the show. I found a copy of the unaired Pilot, with the original actress they were going to use for Willow, and it just didn't work. For the minor roles that only obsessive fanboys would notice, sure, but the Scoobies need to be the gang we all recognise.

Selrahc
2008-07-04, 05:28 AM
1) Actually, i think that Western and Eastern humor and relations are actually quite easy in the case of buffy, you over state the change.

Maybe you are wrong? Because from what I can see Buffy is as californian as things get. Its chock full of american cultural references, and has a wierd grammar style particular to it.

What about this makes it a program thats good for the conversion to anime?

it could fix a lot of plot holes and what not, and you could go into more details and stuff (Buffy speeds things up and loses drama a lot because of it)

Except they already do expand the mythos in comics. They've been doing that for the entire run of the show, and the current Season 8 comics taqke that to the next level, since they are the official creator written definitive "what happened next"

Lex-Kat
2008-07-04, 07:07 AM
Just to give my opinion. Favorite Seasons of Buffy, from best to worse:

Season 6: I loved the ending. Until "Once More, With Feeling", the season is kinda strange. You're not quite sure where it's going. But after that episode, everything seems to go at a better pace.

Season 3: Liked the Mayor, but I loved Faith. She was pure awesome. And Oz. He was sooo cool.

Season 5: I enjoyed watching Spike as a goodguy. I also liked watching Willows powers grow (she's favorite character).

Season 1: Too short, but it was a good introduction to the show (the movie is awful after watching the TV show). The only thing I didn't like was...

Darla dying.

Season 7: I enjoyed seeing the Girl-Power. But sometimes it was just a little over the top. The best part...

The return of Faith.

Season 4: Not my favorite season, but it wasn't the worse. I liked the concept of Adam. But the scientist who created him was a moron.

Season 2: The good: Spike. The bad: Ted. The Ugly: Angel goes evil. I hated when they turned Angel bad. Another good concept, works on paper, I just didn't enjoy watching it.

I also hated the way Giles completely turned on Jenny. At first, I understood the feeling of betrayal. But even after he learned the truth, he didn't even try to understand her side, until it was too late.

Note: I love the series as a whole. I can watch it from beginning to end, and not be overwhelmingly dissapointed.

As for Angel. I suggest only watching the first 3 seasons all the way through. The last 2, only watch the first half of each.

The problem with the Angel series was that the first half of each season was great or at least good, the last half consistently left me wanting.:smallfrown:

Platinum_Mongoose
2008-07-07, 10:26 PM
Season 6 is odd. It's simultaneously the best and worst season of the show. It has some of the best episodes (Tabula Rasa, Once More With Feeling, Normal Again, and everything from Seeing Red to the finale) and some of the worst (Smashed, Wrecked, Doublemeat Phallus--er, Palace) and also has The Trio, who are probably my favorite villains of all time, since they take the show's "Big Supernatural GRRR!" bad guy concept and turn it on its head. They're most mundane villains Buffy has ever faced, and they end up being more destructive to the Scooby Gang than anyone else so far.

Season 7 is consistently good, if never quite great. The finale makes it all worth it, though. It does have two of my favorite episodes, though. Conversations With Dead People is awesome, and Storyteller is probably the funniest episode of the series, as it's all from Andrew's perspective. The finale, Chosen, reminds you why you love the series. I get goosebumps every time I see the "Are you ready to be strong?" montage.

Then you can go headfirst into the season 8 comics, which so far do not disappoint.

Also, you should watch Angel. It's far better than Buffy on average. The 5th season is mind-blowing, containing four of my favorite episodes of both series--Smile Time, Not Fade Away, You're Welcome, and my all-time favorite, A Hole in the World. I defy you not to cry at the end of A Hole in the World.

LoopyZebra
2008-07-08, 11:51 AM
I'll echo everyone else's comments. Season 6 and 7 are good, but not the best of the series.

Season 6 takes characters who were typically normal with bouts of moodiness, and makes them moody with bouts of normalcy. This is true for pretty much everyone in the show. I personally enjoyed the season, but others might find it boring, or an abomination compared to the rest of the series. I personally thought the last three(?) episodes of the season seemed disconnected to the rest. Things also take longer to resolve in this season because of all the drama; episodes tend to be two or three parters.

Season 7 is a good finale to the series, in my opinion, cause it pretty much ties in every character the series has ever had. However, it also suffers, because it tries to top every season Buffy had. The final episode, while good, was a bit odd in how it resolved things.

The season 8 comic is pretty good, with the characters well drawn and the storylines and dialogue definitely capturing the feel of the series. That said, it sometimes feels a bit silly, like a bad fanfic. Very irregularly, though, and overall it's worth a read.

DeathQuaker
2008-07-09, 07:13 AM
If you're already a Buffy fan, I'd say they're definitely worth seeing. And I particularly actually enjoyed Season 7. There are some unnecessary filler episodes, but I actually kinda liked seeing "General Buffy" and most of the characters had decent arcs.

Plus, it sets you up for the Season 8 comic, which is worth a read.

Emperor Ing
2008-07-09, 07:17 AM
I only have one complaint about season 6: Dawn becomes incredibly annoying. :smallyuk: