PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dragon Sorcerer

DareTheRogue
2008-06-26, 03:25 PM
Well we are starting a new campaign as our old one jumps into 4.0 and we do not wish to join it. So upon planning we decided to push for a heavy RP game. We started by setting goals for our characters, not feats, future class levels or anything but what they want to be, where they want to go, what they want to achieve. My character's goal, as a Sorcerer, is to become as close to his Dragon Blood that grants him his abilities as possible. So in creation I have started by running into the problems of 1) What race do I want to be, Human was origanaly the choice but something else may be more effective, I even thought of bringing the character down to a Draconic speices (Kobold) if the DM allows it, 2) How do I accomplish becoming closer, whether thru quests? or the Heritage feats? I am not sure, any suggestions? 3) I am torn between being the flawed incompitant but power hungry utility spellcaster or the over the top blaster type who just thinks he should blow it all up. The alignment of the charater may decide this, but he sure is not good, most likely a tinge of evil for the latter and more neutral heavy for the former.
It has been a bit of a struggle considering the time I have to work on the character is bringing me to the point that I can not wait for our first game session, but it is not for a few weeks. So any help I could get for this would be wonderful.

P.S. my resorces are limited to PHB MM and RotD(DM approval bc of backstory ideas and goals)

Collin152
2008-06-26, 03:28 PM
Dragon Disciple.
Simple as that.

Keld Denar
2008-06-26, 03:48 PM
What you need is this: Dragonfire Adept!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2
and
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=780301

The first is a link to the web enhancement for the class. Gives almost all of the details in case you don't own Dragon Magic.

The 2nd link is a wonderful guide built by JanusJones, formally of the CharOp boards (now moved to brilliantgameologists). Its both humorous and informative.

DFAs are a little of a lot of things. With the Entangling Exhalation feat and a couple of invocations, you get a bit of crowd control. The breath weapon is a little bit of damage (at will!), and some of the invocations grant neato utility such as at will detect magic and identify, blindsight, flight, invisibility, and whatnot. GREAT class. Amazingly balanced and incredibly fun to play 1-20. Your party will love you, and you'll hold your own bit of spotlight time without stealing it from your allies.

Another idea is to go Sorc with Draconic Heritage and Draconic Breath feats. Take almost all utility/control spells, and then convert them to damage as needed with the feat. You can also grab some metabreath feats and a number of metabreath spells like the 4th level Blinding Breath from SpC to increase your damage and disable skills.

If you do go Kobald, get the feat Dragonwraught. It gives you a bunch of neato features, including essentially the Timeless Body feature of Monks and Druids. If you want to cheese this a hair, see if your DM will let you start in an older age catagory. This gives you bonuses to your mental scores (CHA!) with no penalty because you are Timeless via Dragonwraught.

Also, look up the Kobald Sorc racial subs and Draconic Rites in Races of the Dragon and Dragon Magic. Some neato stuff there.

Jack_Simth
2008-06-26, 04:41 PM
Well we are starting a new campaign as our old one jumps into 4.0 and we do not wish to join it. So upon planning we decided to push for a heavy RP game. We started by setting goals for our characters, not feats, future class levels or anything but what they want to be, where they want to go, what they want to achieve. My character's goal, as a Sorcerer, is to become as close to his Dragon Blood that grants him his abilities as possible. So in creation I have started by running into the problems of 1) What race do I want to be, Human was origanaly the choice but something else may be more effective, I even thought of bringing the character down to a Draconic speices (Kobold) if the DM allows it, 2) How do I accomplish becoming closer, whether thru quests? or the Heritage feats? I am not sure, any suggestions? 3) I am torn between being the flawed incompitant but power hungry utility spellcaster or the over the top blaster type who just thinks he should blow it all up. The alignment of the charater may decide this, but he sure is not good, most likely a tinge of evil for the latter and more neutral heavy for the former.
It has been a bit of a struggle considering the time I have to work on the character is bringing me to the point that I can not wait for our first game session, but it is not for a few weeks. So any help I could get for this would be wonderful.

P.S. my resorces are limited to PHB MM and RotD(DM approval bc of backstory ideas and goals)
Well, Races of the Dragon has the feats and items you'll want, to do it strictly mechanically, assuming you want to play a pure Sorcerer.

A Dragonwrought Kobold (pity you don't have Unearthed Arcana - the Desert Racial variant is a stronger kobold, due to the lack of a Con penalty and the lack of the light sensitivity). Take Dragonwrought at 1st (for the type), then pick up the Wyrmgrafter feat; there's a couple of grafts you specifically want to craft (make sure to pick up th spells for it): Buffeting Wings, Frightful Crest, Glaring Eye, Metabolic Fire, and Resilient Scales (the limit of five). With all five plus the Dragonwrought feat, you have:
The dragon type (and the stuff that comes with it - Darkvision-60, Immunity to magic sleep and paralysis effects)
Flight (30 average)
Frightful Presence (but only when you attack or charge)
Blindsense-30
A bonus to Search and Spot
A breath weapon (6d8, usable once every 1d4 rounds)
Energy Resistance 30
DR 5/Magic.
... mind you, you're also a d4 HD Sorcerer with a racial Con penalty, -28 hp, and -2 Dex (although that last just offsets your racial bonus to dex), so you'll want to find some way of improving your HP while sticking to Sorcerer.

Oh yeah - and that's just the PHB, DMG, MM, and Races of the Dragon, as you specified. That'll get you pretty much all the "classics" that a True Dragon has (in lesser amounts, granted), minus the SR (maybe pick up Craft Wondrous Item and a Mantle of Spell Resistence?).

You can play a human or gnome, instead, which basically just loses you the dragon type, immunity to magic paralysis effects (you get immunity to magic sleep effects from the Glaring Eye), and Darkvision, instead. If you go that route, you'll want to pick up a Ring of Freedom of Movement (for the immunity to paralysis) and Goggles of Night (for the Darkvision). I'd suggest Gnome - you'll be hurting for HP with the graft costs.

Nemoricus
2008-06-26, 07:15 PM
As far as Desert Kobolds go, they're here on d20srd.org

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertKobolds

DareTheRogue
2008-06-26, 09:30 PM
The character has evolved a bit now, I have some strong ideas, and have looked at the options closely. Here are the starting points:
Draconic Heritage (Gold) chosen by random from the MM dragons, as to not create the feeling that this character is made for really breaking the game.
Gnome, because being a human is starting to wear on me, and being a Kobold is not allowed by the DM.
Grafts may become a big part of this character, but he is starting level one and is not able to do that for some time.
A complete obsession with dragons, not just Gold dragons.
Going to pick up as many draconic feats as possible and maybe dip into the Dragonheart Mage PrC from RotD later on, it doesn't kill progression to much but the bonus feats are appropriate.

Any other suggestions?

DareTheRogue
2008-06-26, 09:59 PM
Does Heritage from a good dragon push alignment towards that alignment? Or is it still a bit in the air?

Leon
2008-06-26, 10:28 PM
Aside from the de-evolution into a gnome, the grafts sound like a good idea as your character is trying to be more and more draconic that he would emulate some of the physical features of one

Keld Denar
2008-06-27, 07:21 AM
Does Heritage from a good dragon push alignment towards that alignment? Or is it still a bit in the air?

Rules-wise, no. There is nothing in the text, flavor or otherwise, that indicates that your alignment has to match or resemble the heritaged dragon.

However, since you specifically stated that your character wants more than anything to emulate the characteristics, I'd say that it would be VERY in character for you to try as hard as you can to represent the characteristics of the dragon you take after. Gold Dragons are the most powerful of the good dragons, and therefore are the most noble. They are kind-hearted and benevalent, and passionate to thwart the deeds of evil.

If you don't think you can live up the the almost paladin-like nature of the gold, consider Copper. While the dragon itself is smaller and less powerful than Golds, it has almost no mechanical difference when taking Draconic Heritage. Acually, Copper is almost superior to Gold with Draconic Breath since fire is the most commonly resisted element and acid is the least.

Thematically, Copper dragons tend to be pranksters. While still good in alignment, the tend to be more miscevious and more lighthearted than the more stern Gold and Silver. They are also the most curious, which would lend very well into the role as an adventurer.

DareTheRogue
2008-06-28, 12:48 AM
Thank you J that was very helpful, I think I may just drop to Copper out of that alone, instead of rolling it. It give more of an RP hook to it also.