PDA

View Full Version : Concerts

follmanj
2008-06-26, 03:57 PM
Anyone been to any good concerts lately, big or small? I've seen Mikal Blue, Nico Vega and Mickey Avalon lately around LA.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-26, 04:17 PM
The only concert I've ever been to was Tiesto a year ago.

Gaelbert
2008-06-26, 06:00 PM
I saw Weird Al at my county fair last summer, that was really good. And the other concert I've seen is Serj Tankian when he was playing in San Francisco this February.

Catch
2008-06-26, 06:07 PM
Let's see, I saw Koffin Kats, the Gravetones and the Massacres last Sunday, I'll be at the House of Blues next Wednesday for Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, Big D and the Kids Table and Suburban Legends. The following Monday I'll be there again for Alkaline Trio and then two days later it's off to Dropkick Murphys and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Then, I dunno. Warped Tour? Maybe. Lollapaloza? Not sure.

Concert season is going to make me deaf, though.

RTGoodman
2008-06-26, 06:07 PM
Well, last Summer and Fall I saw several good ones. I saw Tool last July and it was decent, but the concert was only really about an hour and fifteen minutes long, so it felt like kind of a rip-off.

Back in August, I saw two shows in two days. I saw Def Leppard, Styx, and Foreigner together on one night, and went to OzzFest the next day and saw a bunch of groups (including Ozzy with Zakk Wylde on guitar, Lordi, Lamb of God, and Static-X, among others). I also got to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra back in December, and that was freakin' awesome. In February or March I saw Chuck Mangione, and that was a great show (despite the fact that I was the youngest person there by at least a decade).

This year there are several I want to go to but I'm not sure I'll get the chance. CrüeFest (featuring Motley Crüe and others) is happening near me this weekend I think and there are a few bands there I'd like to see, and I know Journey, Heart, and Cheap Trick are all playing together near me sometime in August. I think Styx and Boston will be around here sometime then, too, but I've seen Styx and don't really like Boston enough to pay the outrageous ticket prices to go. :smallannoyed:

Sewer_Bandito
2008-06-26, 06:19 PM
Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, Big D and the Kids Table and Suburban Legends. Alkaline Trio and then two days later it's off to Dropkick Murphys and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

*dies*

I've got some decent concerts coming up though. 311 in a couple weeks, Reel Big Fish in warped tour, Flogging Molly in a month, and a bunch of old 90's bands that aren't really popular anymore that I may go see.

A couple months ago I also got to see Streetlight Manifesto and Suburban Legends, which was awesome, except half of SL's set was taken up with them playing the garbage that is their new album.

Catch
2008-06-26, 09:16 PM
... except half of SL's set was taken up with them playing the garbage that is their new album.

ಠ_ಠ

You can't be serious.

We Will Fall Together? Somewhere in the Between? Mephisto's Café? The Receiving End of It All?

Those are all great tracks, especially live.

zeratul
2008-06-26, 09:21 PM
Let's see... I've seen

Foo Fighters, Serj Tankien, Against Me, TYR, Ensiferum, Turisas, Eluveitie, and a bunch of local punk bands.

On tuesday I'm seeing Mindless Self Indulgence, and The Birthday Massacre, and hopefully I'll be seeing Children of Bodom this fall.

DraPrime
2008-06-26, 09:40 PM
Last Friday I saw Iron Maiden. On August 15 I see Judas Priest. And in October I might see Iced Earth. A rather heavy metal year for me.

Hazkali
2008-06-27, 02:24 AM
The Cropredy Festival is coming up near me, and I might be lucky enough to find that Seth Lakeman is performing near me again.

Jae
2008-06-27, 02:29 AM
My uncle used to be in the really popular local band so I used to go to a lot of like, local coffee shop shows and stuff. I dont think I'd much enjoy any big or mainstream concert though...I can hardly stand the noise level at local concerts :smallannoyed: Come to think of it, local shows arent too great either. but I was sung about once........
it was screamo and i pissed the singer off. lol i know, awwwh right?? :smallredface:

haha a friend of mine whose in this band told me I should come to a concert their having not too long from now though and im sure I'll go to that, and im sure it wont be bad at all.

Amiria
2008-06-27, 02:36 AM
My last concert was years ago with three metal bands: My Dying Bride, The Gathering and Opeth. Opeth didn't show up but there was a local ersatz band with was surprisngly good. Since I went there mainly to see My Dying Bride it wasn't that bad.

But I'll be at Wacken Open Air (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacken_Open_Air) in a few weeks ! :smallbiggrin: Highlights for me'll be Iron Maiden, Sabaton, van Canto (curious to see a capella metal live), At The Gates, Children of Bodom, Opeth.

Hoggy
2008-06-27, 04:48 AM
Wacken... lucky you! Opeth not turning up... unlucky you! Stunning band, absolutely boodyful!

Bands I've seen live:
Winnebago Deal + support, Thine Eyes Bleed/Children of Bodom/Lamb of God/In Flames/Slayer, Paradise Lost/Opeth, Crucified Barabara/Clutch/Motorhead, Download 2007, Glastonbury 2002/2007, Your Demise/Hundred Reasons/Enter Shikari, plus a number of small local gigs, classical gigs, and various rave DJs.

Going to Bloodstock Open Air (name always makes me giggle) this summer, can't wait for Opeth/At The Gates. Oh, and Soulfly. Will be epic.

DraPrime
2008-06-27, 09:49 AM
Forgot to mention this. I also might get to see the two bands that created power metal at one concert together. Gamma Ray and Helloween are coming to Massachusetts!

Also, since I can't go to Europe for Wacken (Amiria I envy you so damn much) I'm going to try to catch Megadeth's Gigantour. I'd try to go to Ozzfest but for some reason it's only happening in one place this year, and it's on the other side of the country. Still, if I'm successful I'll still end up seeing 6 metal bands I like, plus 2 others that I've never really listened to at Gigantour.

All I need to do is get the money to go see Wacken.

Semidi
2008-06-27, 09:51 AM
I've seen Iron Maiden (awesome), Tool (Awesome), and the Cure (surprisingly awesome). This September I'm going to see Nine Inch Nails.

I would have gotten to see Stone Temple Pilots (had an exam for class), Motley Crue (during finals week), and Peter Murphy (Going to Alaska instead), but I missed out.

DraPrime
2008-06-27, 09:56 AM
I have a question for all of you who saw Iron Maiden this year. Did Bruce Dickinson announce that a new album would start going into production when the tour ended, or did he just do that at the concert that I was at?

RTGoodman
2008-06-27, 11:31 AM
...Download 2007...

... Wacken Open Air (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacken_Open_Air)...

Gah... I really need to move to Europe. It seems that a lot of really cool big festivals happen there rather than, say, middle-of-nowhere NC... :smalltongue:

Though, now that I think about it, going to Europe would probably be my only chance to see Eisbrecher, Rammstein, and some of the other German bands I listen to, so it might be worth it.

The J Pizzel
2008-06-27, 02:21 PM
All in all I've seen:

-Counting Crows (3x) - Great Shows
-Live (3x) - F**king Phenominal Shows
-Ryan Adams (2x) - Pretty Good
-Elliot Morris - Nice acoustic Rock
-Goo Goo Dolls - Incredible
-Dave Mathews Band - Crap - let me explain. I like old DMB. Their recent stuff is pure crap. I happen to see him touring for his "Stand Up" album. Which sucked.
-Stomp Out Loud (if that counts)
-a few more I can't think of.

Going to see:

R.E.M. / Stone Temple Pilots / Nine Inch Nail - at VoodoFest in New Orleans

Foo Fighter / Robert Plant & Allison Kraus / Flyleaf / Blues Travelers / Jacob Dylan / John Fogerty / The Mars Volta / Iron and Wine / and many more - all at Austin City Limits.

It's going to be a great fall.

jP

Sewer_Bandito
2008-06-27, 04:38 PM
ಠ_ಠ

You can't be serious.

We Will Fall Together? Somewhere in the Between? Mephisto's Café? The Receiving End of It All?

Those are all great tracks, especially live.

Yeah Stretlight's new album is absolutely phenomenal. I'd put it in my top 5 favorites of all time. I was talking about Suburban Legends new album, which IMO, is the worst sounding sell-out I've ever heard.

Griffinwarrior
2008-06-27, 09:05 PM
Hawk NElson, Relient K,

Catch
2008-06-28, 12:34 AM
Yeah Stretlight's new album is absolutely phenomenal. I'd put it in my top 5 favorites of all time. I was talking about Suburban Legends new album, which IMO, is the worst sounding sell-out I've ever heard.

My bad. I abbreviate Streetlight as SL, not SM, hence the mix-up. And yeah, Suburban Legends went from a nice blend of disco, funk and ska to horrible pop.

It's saddening, really. They've gone downhill since Tim Maurer left, but at least they've promised to put out a real ska album this time.

valadil
2008-06-29, 07:35 PM
I was supposed to see Rush a couple weeks ago, but was misinformed about the date so I went on vacation opposite it by accident. Later this year I'll be seeing Jethro Tull and Great Big Sea.

Concerts I've seen include Jonathan Coulton/Paul and Storm, Flogging Molly, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Marylin Manson/Slayer, Rush, Great Big Sea, Carbon Leaf, TMBG, Two Siberians, and The Offspring. At least, from what I can remember. Still need to see Metallica.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-06-29, 08:10 PM
And yeah, Suburban Legends went from a nice blend of disco, funk and ska to horrible pop.

It's saddening, really. They've gone downhill since Tim Maurer left, but at least they've promised to put out a real ska album this time.

Yeah, hopefully this next album will get them back on track. I'm all for experimenting with your sound, maturing and trying new things in bands, but that album was definately regression instead of maturation. hopefully their next album will be proper ska, but I'm not holding my breath.

All in all I've seen:

-Counting Crows (3x) - Great Shows
-Dave Mathews Band - Crap - let me explain. I like old DMB. Their recent stuff is pure crap. I happen to see him touring for his "Stand Up" album. Which sucked.

I'm contemplating seeing both of these bands as well. Would you recomend me seeing Counting Crows? I'm a very casual fan of theirs - the only songs I'm really familiar with are Big Yellow Taxy, Mr. Jones and Hangin' Around, and I'm not sure how good the rest of their songs are or how good they are live.

The only DMB album I really liked was Under the Table and Dreaming, but from what I've seen their great live so I may go.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-06-29, 08:15 PM
Just curious. Am I the only trance fan in the playground? It seems that 97% of the people listen to different versions of rock (whether it's hard rock/heavy metal, indy or punk) and the remaining 3% like hip-hop.

Hoggy
2008-06-29, 08:17 PM
Prefer breakbeat/techno to trance. Unless it's psytrance.

Gygaxphobia
2008-06-30, 05:16 AM
Just went to the Hard Rock Calling gig in London Hyde Park this weekend.
Eric Clapton was great and full of blues, very solemn though and not a word to the crowd. Sheryl Crow was great, The Bangles were good to see but took their time warming up.
Sunday was finished off by KT Tunstall who gave an enthusiastic performance and then The Police did their final UK set. They were full of energy and really went for it with loads fo crowd pleasers and some great instrumentals. I love rock :)

valadil
2008-06-30, 05:19 AM
Just curious. Am I the only trance fan in the playground? It seems that 97% of the people listen to different versions of rock (whether it's hard rock/heavy metal, indy or punk) and the remaining 3% like hip-hop.

I like trance but I don't like dancing so I don't go see DJs do whatever it is they do to make trance. I went to a VNV show once and it was alright but not really my scene.

Hoggy
2008-06-30, 06:33 AM
Dammit, I want to see VNV live. :smallannoyed:

The J Pizzel
2008-07-01, 09:00 AM
I'm contemplating seeing both of these bands as well. Would you recomend me seeing Counting Crows? I'm a very casual fan of theirs - the only songs I'm really familiar with are Big Yellow Taxy, Mr. Jones and Hangin' Around, and I'm not sure how good the rest of their songs are or how good they are live.

The only DMB album I really liked was Under the Table and Dreaming, but from what I've seen their great live so I may go.

I've seen counting crows three times. 1st at New Orleans House of Blues (front stage) when I was just getting into them. Great show, but I was still a little oblivious to their music. But still a great show. 2nd time was at New Orleans Jazz Fest, awful venue...great show (Dave Mathews came out and sang on Round Here, oh. my. god.). 3rd time was at Smirnoff Center in Dallas Texas, great opening act, followed by a Goo Goo Dolls show, then topped off with the Crows, complete with a new drummer (fyi - I play drums and my band does several Crows covers, very noticeable for me). By far the best concert I've been to.

My advice on the Crows - listen to their first album, "August and Everything After". Adam's voice can get a little 'whiny' every now and then, just look passed it and the incredible music, insightful lyrics, and downright awesomeness that is the Crows will prevail. In concert, it gets even better. He adlibs alot on stage, so it's fun to see what he'll do. Round here is hands down one the most beautiful songs ever (#1 on above mentioned CD) and it's fantastic when performed live. Keep in mind that very little of the Crows music is shall we say "radio friendly". It's just not really "pop" and more like just some good 'ole light rocknroll.

My fav's on that album - Round Here, Mr. Jones, Anna Begins (my favorite Crows song), A Murder of One, Rain King, Sullivan Street.

Oh, look what I've found: One of the best albums ever!! (http://www.amazon.com/August-Everything-After-Counting-Crows/dp/B000003TAP/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214920467&sr=8-1)

Edit- I just took the time to read some reviews on the album on that web-page I sent you to. Wow. I'll let it speak for itself.

Now, for DMD. You're good off likeing UtTaD. It's one of thier good ones. They start sucking it up after Busted Stuff. Everything up till then was good. Busted Stuff got a little weak, then Everyday was just aweful. This coming from a huge DMB fan. I just don't like the direction they went in on their latest albums.

They put on one helluva show though. The concerts are generally pretty long and very good. I'd just advise looking at the set lists from previous shows on the tour and seeing what they've been playing. I passed up a chance to see them in Houston cause of their previous lists. After thier show date I checked again and I was very glad I didn't go see them. I would've hated it.

jP

Arlion
2008-07-01, 12:00 PM
i had seen cahcho castaña when i was young....

but recently i seen roger waters (one of the better days in my life)
the police
rod stewart
deep purple
iron maiden

and im 15

valadil
2008-07-01, 12:03 PM
but recently i seen roger waters (one of the better days in my life)

Damn, how'd I leave off Waters? Saw him a couple years ago. Also saw the Australian Pink Floyd cover band, which was a pretty fun show.