PDA

View Full Version : Minis

rollfrenzy
2008-06-26, 05:43 PM
Hello all,

I have been starting to play 4E and realise I really need miniatures. I was wondering if anybody knew were I could get cheap bulk miniatures. I have looked on Ebay and several other places.

I don't care, really, what they look like, if they are painted or not, metal or plastic. I just basically want a variety of random good guys and badguys for plac holders.

Any thoughts on where to look? or is anybody wanting to get rid of all thier D&DM common figs?

THAC0
2008-06-26, 05:47 PM
Hello all,

I have been starting to play 4E and realise I really need miniatures. I was wondering if anybody knew were I could get cheap bulk miniatures. I have looked on Ebay and several other places.

I don't care, really, what they look like, if they are painted or not, metal or plastic. I just basically want a variety of random good guys and badguys for plac holders.

Any thoughts on where to look? or is anybody wanting to get rid of all thier D&DM common figs?

Hm. I'd just say keep looking online. Lots of stores sell minis online and I know my husband was able to get tons for pennies. I'm not exactly sure what site he used though.

Skyserpent
2008-06-26, 05:56 PM
We tend to use Specific dice or coins and the like in lieu of miniatures, they tend to be cheaper.

I mean, a good marker and some Poker Chips would probably work just as well...

As far as actual Minis? I just shell out the ridiculous prices that Wizards puts on their random mini boxes

RTGoodman
2008-06-26, 06:01 PM
Well, you could do what I did and spend a bunch of money on the official minis (though I only did it long enough to get a good supply), or you use other items.

If you've got some cardstock or something, you can make your own stand-up minis in MS Paint or any other drawing program and print 'em right out. If you've got 4 PCs, grab a penny, a nickel, a dime, and a quarter for them and use extra dice, pieces of paper, and other random objects as monsters. If you've got a bunch of Legos laying around, those work out well, too.

If you need hordes of enemies, you can usually buy 1-pound bags of glass beads for $5-10 depending on where you buy them (gaming stores tend to be more expensive that craft stores or generic superstores like Wal-Mart).

Also, I think you might be able to search around online (maybe on eBay) to find assorted bags of minis, sold by weight. (I know they do that for dice, and I think of seen minis, WotC or otherwise, like that too.)

Oracle_Hunter
2008-06-26, 06:07 PM
So, the classic route is to buy Mage Knight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage_Knight) figs off eBay at dirt-cheap prices and then replacing their ginormous bases with 40K-sized ones.

I just use my actual 40K models and pennies or other counters... plus my sweet red Basic D&D figs for the characters :smallbiggrin:

The New Bruceski
2008-06-26, 06:09 PM
You might check out a local Dollar Store, you can often find bulk bags of "action figures" there that can stand in for enemies. If you go that route I would suggest painting either their heads or bases a few different colors so you can say something like "ok, the red ninjas are the minions, the white ones are the dragonshields, and the green ones are some orcs with them."

If you have creative-minded players, have them provide their own minis, especially if somebody already has paints. On a trip to the FLGS I got a "Templar Knight" officially for the Warlords game for $5, and just finished painting it. For swarms of guys that's a bit steep but for the heroes it can be a nice touch.