PDA

View Full Version : An Expert at What?

Logalmier
2008-06-26, 09:34 PM
In the latest comic it is revealed that our beloved oracle is, in fact, an Expert. Yet we don't know what he is an expert at. So now I ask you, what do you think he's an expert at. (Please make your responses as silly as possible.)

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-26, 09:42 PM
Planning clever schemes to get back at smelly people who come to kill him.

Drider
2008-06-26, 09:43 PM
perform: Dancing
craft: Air Guitar
profession: dancer
...stuff
profession: favorate of a dragon that can foresee the future
craft: village
perform: see dead stuff

Grey Watcher
2008-06-26, 10:30 PM
Perform (snark)
Craft (Xanatos Gambit) (OK, the Belkar thing might not technically qualify, but it's similar, at least)

Corwin Weber
2008-06-26, 11:06 PM
Craft (Snide comeback.)

Civil Engineering. (Emphasis in high speed residential construction.)

Jayngfet
2008-06-26, 11:31 PM
A better question is why he doesn't take cleric levels and double as a famous healer.

chiasaur11
2008-06-26, 11:47 PM
A better question is why he doesn't take cleric levels and double as a famous healer.

He's lazy.
Also, as a nigh omniscient cleric, he's amazing.
With his level losses, he'd be a cleric weaker at healing than most of his clients, and that doesn't look good.

RTGoodman
2008-06-26, 11:52 PM
Well, he's got max ranks in Profession (Oracle), which is how he gets his powers.

...what? Your characters don't all max Profession (Adventurer)? :smalltongue:

Solo
2008-06-26, 11:55 PM
Craft: (TPS report)

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 01:45 AM
What does TPS stand for? I'd assume that his Profession (Orical) skill s maxed out, and perception-type abilities (as well as Bluff) are probably class skills for him.

dehro
2008-06-27, 02:14 AM
witty and sarcastic comebacks

dehro
2008-06-27, 02:16 AM
He's lazy.
Also, as a nigh omniscient cleric, he's amazing.
With his level losses, he'd be a cleric weaker at healing than most of his clients, and that doesn't look good.

nope, it's simpler...he can't become a famous healer because nobody can remember him after visiting him in "oracle land" (unless he becomes a new superhero"the masked healer" and travels abroad, outside the boundaries of this protective spell.)
kinda hard to become famous if nobody is supposed to remember what you look like and what your name is

Raging Gene Ray
2008-06-27, 02:30 AM
What does TPS stand for?

Test Procedure Specification...but ever since Office Space made fun of the overly elaborate rules and regulations concerning their proper cover sheets, it has come to refer to any Totally Pointless S***-style paperwork.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-06-27, 02:35 AM
Craft: (TPS report)

Thread Winner!

PS - I just watched Office Space again the other night. Awesome movie. On par with the Order.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 02:39 AM
Thanks for explaining. Has the Oracle ever filled in any paperwork to our knowledge, though?

RebelRogue
2008-06-27, 04:35 AM
Planning clever schemes to get back at smelly people who come to kill him.
Well, you can rightfully accuse Belkar of lots of bad things, but being smelly is not one of them. In fact, he's been complaining about humans being smelly more than once.

Jayngfet
2008-06-27, 05:38 AM
If not fameous then at least stop heart attack lawsuits he should've seen coming.

Tyrmatt
2008-06-27, 05:59 AM
He's an Expert in the same way your Innkeepers should be Experts in the city they live in. What's the point of having near omniscience if you can't interpret the visions you receive. By having knowledge of the world, the cultures and events that occur, he has the ability to make clearer predictions (and of course, more obsfucating ones as well, but that's a personality quirk).

vegetalss4
2008-06-27, 06:01 AM
sarcasm
serius through Expert is an NPC class in DnD

Chronos
2008-06-27, 12:44 PM
Knowledge (the future)
Perform (miracle)

Seriously, what gaming group hasn't had someone who's tried to sneak those in?

Eric
2008-06-27, 02:07 PM
sarcasm
serius through Expert is an NPC class in DnD

If I recall correctly, it's a way to give non-adventuring people who don't have much of a way to get levels to do what they NEED (for story purposes) to do.

So your alchemist doesn't have to be a level X mage with appropriate feats, but can be as good (or better) as *just alchemy* as a level X mage with appropriate feats with his "expert" levels in "Alchemist". So he doesn't have to be Level 4+ before he can be an alchemist (because Craft(Potions) isn't available until then), he can be Level 1 with two levels of Expert (Alchemist). An alchemist with five levels in Expert(Alchemist) may mean something, but I suspect not.

Logalmier
2008-06-27, 06:57 PM
Craft (painting speech bubbles white and green)

Craft (dramatic lightning)

Nomadic
2008-06-27, 11:10 PM
I thought it was obvious. He's an expert at being awesome.

Frosty
2008-06-27, 11:22 PM
Actually, he's an expert at Use Magic Device. I thought that was fairly obvious?

Austran
2008-06-27, 11:38 PM
He is expert in being ressurrected.:smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2008-06-28, 01:22 AM
He simply takes the expert class as opposed to the adapt or commoner classes for the bonus skill points, and other minor benefits, and so he can sacrifice all those levels without having to mess with his character sheet for awhile to subtract all those levels.
Think about it. If you've ever had a level subtracted from you, it's a real pain to remove all your learned spells, your BAB, your skill points, your feat, your bonus stat point, your experience ticker, your new abilities, your familiar's abilities, ect, ect, ect. Taking expert means there's less to tinker with when he loses those levels.

On a less serious note, he's clearly an expert of being a Kobold that's not a total throwaway. Yup, that in itself requires full focus and expertise.

Logalmier
2008-06-28, 09:54 PM
On a less serious note, he's clearly an expert of being a Kobold that's not a total throwaway. Yup, that in itself requires full focus and expertise.

Especially since you have the awesome potential to become Pun Pun.

Dunesen
2008-06-29, 10:53 AM
Expert at covering his @$$ (Test of the Heart, memory charm, resurrections lined up years in advance, towns constructed a week ahead of schedule).

Expert at ironic punishment (I really am curious what he has in store for the druid).

mikeejimbo
2008-06-29, 08:05 PM
Actually, he's an expert at Use Magic Device. I thought that was fairly obvious?

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. That, at least, is one of his class skills.

Shatteredtower
2008-06-30, 09:30 AM
Use Magic certainly. Sense Motive probably. Diplomacy possibly, since it's a skill that doesn't work against PCs and his behaviour appears to reflect a dislike of pushy, mammal clients. Bluff unlikely.

Knowledge (It All) with maximum ranks and Skill Focus.

King of Nowhere
2008-07-02, 04:58 PM
He's an expert of the plot.
Knowledge (what Rich had planned for OOTS) and Profession (being cool).

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-02, 04:58 PM
He's an expert in the lucrative profession of amassing wealth. He has max ranks in it.

Demon Slayer
2008-07-06, 11:46 PM
His skills he has chosen that I think is...
Craft (complex/stuipid and unuseful truth)
use magic
spellcraft
knowledge (religon)
sense motive
bluff
gather information
proffesion (anoy the hell out of sombody)
knowledge (Ph. D.)
knowledge (other)