PDA

View Full Version : help, dog hurt leg

de-trick
2008-06-27, 12:13 PM
my new puppy, we got yesterday, hurt its leg today when he fell off the sofa. And won't walk.What should i do?

I tried making him move by teasing him with treats but, I give in cause he goes back to a resting postion nd gives me those puppy dog eyes of his

Mr. Moon
2008-06-27, 12:16 PM
Take him to the vet as soon as you can. Seems like the best idea. Good luck. :smallfrown:

averagejoe
2008-06-27, 12:18 PM
Take him to the vet, I'd say. If you call, they can probably give you advice for proper transport, if needed. Or, alternatively, do what you'd do for your own hurt leg; let him stay off it until it gets better.

Sucrose
2008-06-27, 12:20 PM
I'd advise that you go to the veterinarian. Young animals can be surprisingly fragile, and it might have a good reason for not wanting to move.

Even if nothing's seriously wrong, vets typically know animals pretty well, and often have good advice to help with correcting behavior.

Edit: To repeat the others' advice.

de-trick
2008-06-27, 12:46 PM
I cant take him to the vet right now cause I dont drive yet, but I'm waiting till one of my motorized family members gets home to take him there. The good news is that he is slowly becoming more confident now, and will walk a few steps.

DraPrime
2008-06-27, 12:48 PM
Even if he does start walking, take him to the vet. While he might have just been afraid, you never know if something isn't damaged.

xxragdollxx
2008-06-27, 12:49 PM
oh no!!

try to make him relax for a while! poor puppy :(

did you call any of your family to tell them?

we have vets within walking distance where I am. But I can't carry my fully grown golden retriever if he is hurt...he's more like the size of a St. Bernard than golden retriever. nvm.

Tempest Fennac
2008-06-27, 12:51 PM
I agree with everyone else. If you think some Reiki would help, I'd be happy to send him some.

de-trick
2008-06-27, 01:06 PM
I would call, but they could dont leave there work, once when I got hurt they could not come pick me up, so I'm guessing they could not leave for are dog.

I would carry him there except it is raining and he has been in the rain for a while( people from who we got him from left them outside, even when it was raining) so I'm tiring to let him stay inside for a bit.

xxragdollxx
2008-06-27, 01:08 PM
you cant carry him with an umbrella?? :smallyuk:

your poor puppy! our dogs NEVER go outside in the rain! theyre spoiled :smallbiggrin:

ReluctantReaper
2008-06-27, 01:13 PM
well I would suggest walking there if you are able to, but if that is not a possibiliy wait untill a family member gets home, then call the vet, and see if you can just come in or schedule an appointment, and try to schedule one as soon as possible. I know this is what everyone else is saying, but it really is the only advice.

de-trick
2008-06-27, 01:18 PM
thing is that there is about 8 more puppies out there right now. I've tried to get my dad to get another one but then theres still some out there

on a side note does anyone have on advice to getting a cat to get along with him,

PS. the puppies name is Copper, and is part rottweiler/ lab, and is sorta of brown tanish color with a darker area where the rottweiler coat is black

Dallas-Dakota
2008-06-27, 01:21 PM
@ De-trick, do you know what you have done? puppies. All posting females are going to demand pic's of them or aww'd anyway.

de-trick
2008-06-27, 01:30 PM
did take a couple of pics but cant find the USB cord to hook it up to computer

I called the vet and said to bring him in tomorrow if he's still limping tomorrow

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-06-27, 07:21 PM
Yeah, you really should take your dog to the vet. He might have sprained something. I hope he's ok. :smallfrown:

de-trick
2008-06-30, 11:26 PM
forgot to post it but took him to the vet, hes ok and is fine. But my sister wanted a dog too so we have 2, funny cause mine is fat and furry and heres is skinny and has short hair.

Mauve Shirt
2008-06-30, 11:35 PM
Pictures of the puppies?

Serpentine
2008-06-30, 11:48 PM
on a side note does anyone have on advice to getting a cat to get along with himYou just have to get the cat used to him, and you can't rush that. Give the cat plenty of space, some safe places for it to run off to if it all gets too much, don't try to force it to get close to him, that sort of thing.
Glad your puppy's okay :smallsmile: It's a baby, babies bounce and heal right up :smallwink:

dish
2008-07-01, 01:20 AM
With baby animals sometimes the shock of hurting themselves is much greater than the injury. I had a pup once who would scream and scream at the slightest bump. I once watched her back gently into a (padded) sofa, and start screaming in surprise. Once the shock wore off she was usually fine, so I learnt to wait for a while in order to properly asses whether she'd injured herself or not.

In my experience, puppies and kittens can adapt to each other very quickly - maybe only a week or two before they're both completely used to each other. Older animals will take longer, and may never get beyond mutual indifference.

Volug
2008-07-02, 06:22 PM
:smallfrown:

My dog has cancer in her leg... And is definatly going to die tommorow sadly...

Mr. Moon
2008-07-02, 08:26 PM
*hugs Masato* I'm sorry to hear that. :smallfrown: *feels like I should say something else but doesn't know what*

de-trick
2008-07-02, 08:51 PM
Im so sorry, man... wish I had something to say

Volug
2008-07-02, 09:06 PM
Nothing much else I can do right now sadly... I'll post about it on Random Banter tommorow maybe...

Anywho, I hope your puppy is fine.